CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
Sam Knowlton

Anybody know anything? Apparently a 2018 guy. Cannizaro doin work

HoopsDawg
12-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Sam Knowlton

Anybody know anything? Apparently a 2018 guy. Cannizaro doin work

All I know is that Cannizaro and Howland are beasts on the recruiting trail. Love those guys.

msstate7
12-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Aren't all the guys we've been getting commits from big time draft risks? I wonder what coach's backup plan is in case they bolt.

I seen it dawg
Hopefully it becomes contagious

CadaverDawg
All I know is that Cannizaro and Howland are beasts on the recruiting trail. Love those guys.

Hell yea they are. Mullen should fork over $500k to those two and a list of priorities, and let them do their thing

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Aren't all the guys we've been getting commits from big time draft risks? I wonder what coach's backup plan is in case they bolt.

Get enough of em to where it doesn't matter? Ha

HoopsDawg
12-05-2016, 10:29 PM

You love to talk about our fans and pessimistic attitudes. We get a good commit and immediately you start worrying about the draft, lol.

msstate7
12-05-2016, 10:32 PM
You love to talk about our fans and pessimistic attitudes. We get a good commit and immediately you start worrying about the draft, lol.

College baseball recruiting is something I never get into bc you never know who you have till post draft. And that's every school, not just us. I'm a big time braves' fan and very rarely does a kid make it to school when he's wanted by an MLB team

ZedFedder
12-05-2016, 10:36 PM
Gotta recruit em to compete for a title!

msstate7
12-05-2016, 10:40 PM
When recruiting for college baseball, you obviously take the big time talents. In addition to those, do you target kids in the 5-10 round range to get more kids likely to get to school?

Todd4State
12-06-2016, 04:16 AM
Mstate7- knowing whether a player is signable or not is where Cannizaro’s scouting background comes into play. Baseball is all about who you know and the relationships you have with those people which is college baseball can be sort of delicate at times because of the “baseball food chain”. By that I mean colleges and MLB are competing for the same prospects but at the same time MLB also relies a lot on those college coaches that they are competing against to develop their players too. It’s up to college recruiters and scouts to figure out what a player is likely to do. It just comes down to the individual player and sometimes their skill. If it is someone that is projectable but their family values education or let’s say that they are really into MSU or LSU or whoever baseball which does come into play for us sometimes and is an advantage we have with our program’s tradition the odds are a player like that is going to go to college. If it’s someone that does not have any interest in playing college baseball, or someone who comes from a disadvantaged background and their family needs money, someone that doesn’t have the grades to play SEC baseball- obviously those players are more likely to go pro.

The slotting system in MLB has caused the money to be reduced it seems like to me to the point where it drops off pretty drastically by round 2-3 when we’re talking true “life changing money”- which to me is defined as you don’t have to work for a living as long as you manage it properly. And as you know there are a lot of college players involved in the top 10 rounds which drops a lot of prospects down making them more likely to go to college. But also on the MLB side, they view draft picks as commodities. So, they don’t want to spend the time and effort on a player that they don’t feel like they can sign because it costs them a lot of money and resources to do so. So, a player like Ethan Small for example may be a top five round pick in terms of talent but since he wanted to go to college he wasn’t drafted for that reason. I’ve even seen on very rare occasions a player withdraw his name from the draft out of high school- Ed Easley did that.

All of that is to say that there is some communication between college coaches and scouts as to what they think a player will do once they graduate high school. Cannizaro because of his connections may be able to get ahead of that sometimes. Also there are instances where a scout will tell a player that they should go to college to increase their value. And sometimes they recommend coaches to players- and I would imagine that Cannizaro’s name comes up sometimes which helps us out as well. And Cannizaro has an idea as well because college coaches know the drill and they don’t want to have their class gutted by MLB like Ole Miss had happen when they had Ty Hensley, Stryker Trahan, and Garin Cecenni and lost them.

And I’m not saying that Cannizaro will land every player and keep them all away from MLB because that’s not realistic. LSU lost Riley Pint this year for example. We’ll probably lose Quenton Holmes this year. But at the same time I do think that because of his relationship in the scouting world we will land a higher percentage of those players. Remember with Vanderbilt even we see the players that they get and don’t notice the ones that they signed and played pro baseball. I think Cannizaro will help us absorb any losses we have better because again I think he will have a better idea of where every player stands in the draft and what will happen.

Todd4State
12-06-2016, 04:19 AM
Also, in America we are seeing education becoming more and more of a priority which helps college baseball out a lot as it is a white collar sport. Most MLB players that are from the USA played college baseball.

ZedFedder
12-06-2016, 07:17 AM
The fact that this kid is 6'7" 190 and already throwing low 90s is a fantastic sign.

louisvilledawg
12-06-2016, 09:18 AM
The fact that this kid is 6'7" 190 and already throwing low 90s is a fantastic sign.

If he was left handed, he would be a sure-fire first rounder.

Hopefully we can sneak him through and he can be a right handed andrew miller for us for three seasons

smootness
12-06-2016, 10:02 AM
We'll lose plenty to the draft. But if you lose 5 and keep 2, you come out way ahead.

ZedFedder
12-06-2016, 10:48 AM
We'll lose plenty to the draft. But if you lose 5 and keep 2, you come out way ahead.

This. We may lose most of them, but if you pull a Friday night ace and a stud 4 hole hitter out of it and lose the other top guys, who cares. You get those two types each year and you are on to something.

AlSwearengen
12-06-2016, 11:04 AM
I was talking with a hattiesburg high teacher/coach last night and he said the 2018 kid at Hattiesburg high that is ranked the no. 4 player in the country for that class told him he was going to commit to us. Of course, he will go pro, but there is that.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Also, in America we are seeing education becoming more and more of a priority which helps college baseball out a lot as it is a white collar sport. Most MLB players that are from the USA played college baseball.

I can't find the stat, but your chance of making MLB these days is greatly enhanced by going to college first. Especially the SEC.

blacklistedbully
12-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Think I read an article once that mentioned kids that play college ball have a higher chance of making the Big Show than kids who go the minor-league route out of HS.

Todd4State
12-06-2016, 02:38 PM
I was talking with a hattiesburg high teacher/coach last night and he said the 2018 kid at Hattiesburg high that is ranked the no. 4 player in the country for that class told him he was going to commit to us. Of course, he will go pro, but there is that.

Yep. Joseph Gray. I think he is going to take an OV to Ole Miss and then commit to us from what I understand. So it should happen sometime this month unless something changes.

ZedFedder
12-06-2016, 04:06 PM
Yeah we won't ever see him on campus but again getting the Joe Gray types just for reputation sake is enough. Todd, I could be wrong, but from a straight talent perspective, it seems Cannizaro is getting us to be the cream of the crop, on par with Vandy and others.

Todd4State
12-06-2016, 04:13 PM
Yeah we won't ever see him on campus but again getting the Joe Gray types just for reputation sake is enough. Todd, I could be wrong, but from a straight talent perspective, it seems Cannizaro is getting us to be the cream of the crop, on par with Vandy and others.

It does seem like our overall talent with our recruits is better. I'm excited to see what we bring in. We need to land more Landon Sims type pitching prospects which I think we will. I really want Alan Dunn to come in as our pitching coach to help land more of that elite pitching talent to go along with the offensive talent we are amassing.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-06-2016, 04:33 PM
Cazinaro is a lottery pick for a hire. State could be scary good. And to think Tulane passed on on this guy is mind boggling