PDA

View Full Version : Lotta "Dan Mullen to Oregon" talk right now...

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Don't freak out, but be warned that talk is building.

Oregon 247 posters mentioning him as possible hire. Or search Dan Mullen on twitter and you'll see what I mean too. Bellotti says Mullen would be in his top 4 for Oregon.

Would suck bad. Hope it's just rumor. Maybe we need to talk it up real big like it's happening...bc hires are rarely the guy everybody thinks it will be, ha.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 04:21 PM
I heard is hiring PJ Fleck.

TrapGame
12-05-2016, 04:23 PM
And I read yesterday on SDS that McElwaine is lobbying hard to get it.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 04:24 PM
I heard is hiring PJ Fleck.

Well if they don't hire Fleck and go with Dan....we should hire Fleck. Problem solved, no longer worried.**

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 04:26 PM
It's all over the place and several of their insiders believe that Oregon is putting out misinformation with this many different types of coaches being named. Either they really don't know who they want or they are lining him up and it might be a surprise name

MarketingBully
12-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I don't see anything that has any legs. It's all major speculation. I think they hire Fleck personally. That has been the name that has been mentioned most.

Cooterpoot
12-05-2016, 04:29 PM
That Oregon job isn't a top job anymore. And if Mullen thinks it's hard recruiting MS, wait til he finds out Oregon has no players. I see this one as false. Again.

TrapGame
12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
That Oregon job isn't a top job anymore. And if Mullen thinks it's hard recruiting MS, wait til he finds out Oregon has no players. I see this one as false. Again.

Don't most of Oregon's players come from Northern California?

Political Hack
12-05-2016, 04:37 PM
Nike > Addidas. Sorry. That's the truth and he'd get whatever he wants there, much like he has had at State. I doubt they want him, but if they do he'd have to take a long hard look at it.

mstatefan91
12-05-2016, 04:38 PM
And so it begins...

Cooterpoot
12-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Don't most of Oregon's players come from Northern California?

When Kelly was there, it was split. His last class only had 8 from Cali.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 04:41 PM
And so it begins...

What begins? Bloggers, site guys, media etc. having throwing his name out there for a while now as a possibility. There is nothing with any legs even stating he is a legit target or interview. We know they have interviewed Taggert and Harison

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Well if they don't hire Fleck and go with Dan....we should hire Fleck. Problem solved, no longer worried.**

I've got my oars ready to row the Bulldog boat.

Cooterpoot
12-05-2016, 04:42 PM
If Oregon wanted Mullen, they would've offered already. No need to play around. He might be on their list, but he's way down it. I still think Kelly is their guy, regardless of what he's said. SF is ready for him to be gone and nobody else in the NFL is going t hire him.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 04:43 PM
Good thing is he dont have to recruit as hard there...It is alot easier to win the PAC12 and make it to the final four than it is to win the SEC. Ask Washington.
If he does leave, they will be in New Years bowls often. I hope he don't leave though.

maroonmania
12-05-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't want to lose Mullen but at this point I'm not going to freak out if we lose a coach that just went 5-7 and can't keep a decent DC on staff. Yes, Mullen is a great developer of QBs but he is also an average recruiter that apparently no defensive coach wants to work for. If he leaves he leaves and if he stays he stays. We can certainly do a lot worse than Mullen but we can also do as well or better if we make the right hire.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 04:46 PM
Do you realize how hard it must be to coach in the SEC West at a Mississippi school? Mullen is a damn good coach and if he was at a Western Michigan, Boise State, Oregon, Utah etc, he would be consistently be winning 10+ games a year.

Drugs Delaney
12-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Don't give a shit unless he comes out and says he has a home and this is where he wants to stay. 4 million is enough money to be shown some loyalty.

lamont
12-05-2016, 04:49 PM
If Oregon wanted Mullen, they would've offered already. No need to play around. He might be on their list, but he's way down it. I still think Kelly is their guy, regardless of what he's said. SF is ready for him to be gone and nobody else in the NFL is going t hire him.

Kelly doesnt want to recruit...he wants to stay in the NFL

PassInterference
12-05-2016, 04:52 PM
There are several teams with many times over the resources we have that can't find a coach as good as Dan Mullen. Think about that.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-05-2016, 04:54 PM
I've yet to find anyone credible say he's a serious candidate. I've seen some people say they should go after him or he would do good there but nobody says he's in their top group of names or he's interviewed or close to it. Oregon 247 did an article today saying they were close to making a hiring names about 5 or 6 coaches Dan wasn't mentioned. They did leave themselves an out saying it could be somebody out of left field. I just haven't seen any legitimate smoke to yell fire.

mstatefan91
12-05-2016, 05:01 PM
What begins? Bloggers, site guys, media etc. having throwing his name out there for a while now as a possibility. There is nothing with any legs even stating he is a legit target or interview. We know they have interviewed Taggert and Harison

The rumors begin... calm down

Jack Lambert
12-05-2016, 05:03 PM
I've yet to find anyone credible say he's a serious candidate. I've seen some people say they should go after him or he would do good there but nobody says he's in their top group of names or he's interviewed or close to it. Oregon 247 did an article today saying they were close to making a hiring names about 5 or 6 coaches Dan wasn't mentioned. They did leave themselves an out saying it could be somebody out of left field. I just haven't seen any legitimate smoke to yell fire.

I still want Mullen to come out say hell no it isn't true.

BulldogDX55
12-05-2016, 05:05 PM

Does he have to deny every rumor for you to be satisfied? His comments since the egg bowl have been more than enough for me.

Remember, a coaches statements denying jobs mean nothing- Tubberville is not currently in a pine box.

Bothrops
12-05-2016, 05:05 PM

He'll never do it, it's not his style. He's arrogant.

preachermatt83
12-05-2016, 05:06 PM
This is just speculation. Mullen ain't going to Oregon.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 05:07 PM

McElwain did and he is still being rumored as one of their candidates and even fringe rumors that he is actively now trying to get the job behind the scenes. It won't stop writers throwing stuff out

Bothrops
This is just speculation. Mullen ain't going to Oregon.

It's possible.

AROB44
I don't want to lose Mullen but at this point I'm not going to freak out if we lose a coach that just went 5-7 and can't keep a decent DC on staff. Yes, Mullen is a great developer of QBs but he is also an average recruiter that apparently no defensive coach wants to work for. If he leaves he leaves and if he stays he stays. We can certainly do a lot worse than Mullen but we can also do as well or better if we make the right hire.

That's a big big IF....

KB21
12-05-2016, 05:08 PM
http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/Oregon-Coaching-Search-Insider-New-names-in-the-mix-49573189

preachermatt83
12-05-2016, 05:09 PM

This. Mullen is set with Fitz and ATrain and he knows it. He ain't going anywhere. Next year will be an 8 win season and the next sets up to be another HUGE year. Then he could have a springboard to some serious jobs. He ain't going anywhere til then.

lamont
12-05-2016, 05:11 PM
He picked a bad year to go 5-7

AROB44
12-05-2016, 05:11 PM
He'll never do it, it's not his style. He's arrogant.

By who's standards.....not by mine. I just consider him having a big ego which most head coaches have.

chef dixon
12-05-2016, 05:12 PM
I've always thought Georgia was stupid for not wanting Mullen. He's 3x the coach of Smart and would have them in Atlanta consistently. But I'm glad others with big decision making power don't have that perspective.

lamont
12-05-2016, 05:13 PM
He ain't going anywhere. Next year will be an 8 win season and the next sets up to be another HUGE year.

We will not be an 8 win team next year

Jack Lambert
12-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Off Topic do you preferre the Australia or French kiss with you are with a chic?

maroonmania
12-05-2016, 05:21 PM
That's a big big IF....

Its a big if because I don't know how competent the folks are for MSU that would end up making the hire, not because the hire couldn't be made. I mean let's not act like if Mullen left we would be losing a championship coach. When you take Mullen's positives and negatives together he is a good head coach, not a great coach. With Mullen our program will normally live in the 6-8 win range which, given our past, I'm certainly good with. We will have the outlier 5 win year like this year or the 9-10 win year like 2014 when everything lines up just right and we have a top QB but the 6-8 win year is the norm. Recruiting at a higher level and retaining a very good DC would elevate Mullen but he has not shown in 8 years that he can do those 2 things. Plus there is the Hevesy factor to deal with especially on the recruiting trail. No, I don't want Mullen to leave but I just don't see any reason to flip out if he does leave. If other top P5 schools truly saw Mullen as a top line coach someone would have already really come after him. But they haven't, and I don't expect Oregon to do so either.

HSVDawg
12-05-2016, 05:44 PM

Why not?

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 05:45 PM
My take is, some of Oregon's success coincided with USC's downfall. USc is back...Washington is clearly back...Washington State is even good by P12 standards, Stanford has been a player for several years now, etc.

With Dan...although he is FANTASTIC as some things, he seems to have an unwillingness to adapt or learn from some of his mistakes. He makes the same ones year-after-year-after-year...and it pretty much costs us a couple of losses per year over and above the ones we should lose, like Bama, at LSU, etc.

Oregon, due to their recent success, is looking for a coach who will lead them back to dominating the Pac12 and put them back in national contention. If Dan goes there and continues to blow a couple of games a year that they should win...they'd turn their backs on him rather quickly, IMO.

basedog
12-05-2016, 05:48 PM

Way too early to know, you never know how much a player can or will improve from one year to another, nor do you know who may emerge from the signing class.

maroonmania
12-05-2016, 05:49 PM
My take is, some of Oregon's success coincided with USC's downfall. USc is back...Washington is clearly back...Washington State is even good by P12 standards, Stanford has been a player for several years now, etc.

With Dan...although he is FANTASTIC as some things, he seems to have an unwillingness to adapt or learn from some of his mistakes. He makes the same ones year-after-year-after-year...and it pretty much costs us a couple of losses per year over and above the ones we should lose, like Bama, at LSU, etc.

Oregon, due to their recent success, is looking for a coach who will lead them back to dominating the Pac12 and put them back in national contention. If Dan goes there and continues to blow a couple of games a year that they should win...they'd turn their backs on him rather quickly, IMO.

Plus, Oregon's real problem right now is putting a competent defense on the field? How much is Dan going to help with that?

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 05:50 PM

THIS! This has been one of the big problems we have had with Dan that hurts our recruiting. Even if he ultimately interviews and even leaves...come out now publicly and say you are not leaving...you are happy as hell here at State...and you are looking forward to working towards championships at MSU.

Say publicly you are not speaking to anyone about another job...that you are happy where your are, and plan to be here for years to come.

mstatefan91
Why not?

Sept. 2****
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN*****
Starkville, Miss. (Davis Wade Stadium)
Win[b]

Sept. 9* ******
at Louisiana Tech *******************************
Ruston, La. (Joe Aillet Stadium)
[b]Win

Sept. 16 ***************
LSU * **************************************************
Loss

Sept. 23****************
at Georgia * ***************************************
Athens, Ga. (Sanford Stadium)
Toss up

Sept. 30* **********
at Auburn * *************************************
Auburn, Ala. (Jordan Hare Stadium)
Toss up favoring Auburn

Oct. 14 ************
BYU ************************************
Win

Oct. 21********************
KENTUCKY *
Revenge: Win

Oct. 28
at Texas A&M * ********************
College Station, Texas (Kyle Field)
Toss up favoring A&M

Nov. 4************
UMASS
Starkville, Miss. (Davis Wade Stadium) *
Win

Nov. 11 ****
ALABAMA * ****
Loss

Nov. 18 ***********
at Arkansas *
Fayetteville, Ark. (Razorback Stadium)
We have been good against Arkansas recentely: Toss up

Nov. 23 (Thu.) **
OLE MISS * **************************
Win

I have 6 wins and several tossups. We could win 8. Gonna have to have a lot fall into place on the road in the SEC.

DudyDawg
I don't Understand why people are so high on fleck. He went from a receivers coach to a head coach in the MAC, where's he's gone a whopping 30-21. Seems kinda prisoner of the moment to be in love with that guy.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 05:57 PM
I don't Understand why people are so high on fleck. He went from a receivers coach to a head coach in the MAC, where's he's gone a whopping 30-21. Seems kinda prisoner of the moment to be in love with that guy.

Take out his first season where he won one game and then look at his record and look at Western Michigan's history. He would be an absolute home run of a hire. His only weakness is no one on his staff with Mississippi ties.

Ari Gold
12-05-2016, 06:19 PM
CDM needs to shoot this shit down ASAP.. Wether he is an actual candidate, interviews for it , or whatever he needs to address it now.
Do exactly what Herman did and let your agent handle all the dirty stuff.. This EE class is super important.

And Other schools are using this against us. believe what you want but this could spiral downward really fast over the next few days..

smootness
12-05-2016, 06:23 PM

Fleck is great. Throwing out overall record for a coach who took over a dumpster fire is always a way people try to discredit those coaches.

Dabo also went from WR coach to HC.

Bothrops
12-05-2016, 06:25 PM
CDM needs to shoot this shit down ASAP.. Wether he is an actual candidate, interviews for it , or whatever he needs to address it now.
Do exactly what Herman did and let your agent handle all the dirty stuff.. This EE class is super important.

And Other schools are using this against us. believe what you want but this could spiral downward really fast over the next few days..

Yep, I agree. But Dan ain't gonna do it. It's not his style. He enjoys this shit.

smootness
12-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Shoot what down? Is he going to need to constantly shoot down every random blog rumor that our own fans then blow out of proportion?

If this stuff actually hurts our recruiting, then threads like this are far more to blame than Mullen not coming out publicly to turn down a job he was never offered.

preachermatt83
12-05-2016, 06:28 PM
Sept. 2****
CHARLESTON SOUTHERN*****
Win[b]

Sept. 9* ******
at Louisiana Tech *******************************
Ruston, La. (Joe Aillet Stadium)
[b]Win

Sept. 16 ***************
LSU * **************************************************
Loss

Sept. 23****************
at Georgia * ***************************************
Athens, Ga. (Sanford Stadium)
Toss up

Sept. 30* **********
at Auburn * *************************************
Auburn, Ala. (Jordan Hare Stadium)
Toss up favoring Auburn

Oct. 14 ************
BYU ************************************
Win

Oct. 21********************
KENTUCKY *
Revenge: Win

Oct. 28
at Texas A&M * ********************
College Station, Texas (Kyle Field)
Toss up favoring A&M

Nov. 4************
UMASS
Starkville, Miss. (Davis Wade Stadium) *
Win

Nov. 11 ****
ALABAMA * ****
Loss

Nov. 18 ***********
at Arkansas *
Fayetteville, Ark. (Razorback Stadium)
We have been good against Arkansas recentely: Toss up

Nov. 23 (Thu.) **
OLE MISS * **************************
Win

I have 6 wins and several tossups. We could win 8. Gonna have to have a lot fall into place on the road in the SEC.

We will win Atleast 2 of these...
Auburn, aTm, UGA, Arky.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 06:32 PM
There are only two knocks with Fleck. First is the ra-ra stuff he does is contrived or comes off that way. He will either have to tone it down (which I believe he would) or it has to be the perfect fit with the majority of the fan base and recruiting base to embrace that. Secondly, W Mich to a mid-upper tier Power 5 program is a big jump. He may be better served to going to Cincinnati first. There are still many who think he is in play with Oregon but there were a lot of rumors that if he was the guy he would interview Fri night early Sat morning and be named quickly. That didn't happen and they have already interviewed at least 4 guys and conducting interviews in NY today as well.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 06:47 PM
Shoot what down? Is he going to need to constantly shoot down every random blog rumor that our own fans then blow out of proportion?

If this stuff actually hurts our recruiting, then threads like this are far more to blame than Mullen not coming out publicly to turn down a job he was never offered.

Yes to the first....You're naive with that second paragraph

MafiaDawg
12-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I thought these type threads were getting locked?

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 06:51 PM

It's more than "random blog rumors". Pete Thamel has mentioned it, as have multiple sources. Let's not pretend it's not "out there" being talked about nationally.

And how much time does it take to simply make a statement each time something like this comes up? It's not that hard. Others have done it. When a coach doesn't do it...the speculation that it's true grows, and it's used against us in recruiting.

And it can't be some cute non-denial denial, like, "I don;t know where that's coming from, and that's just a sign people are excited about what we're accomplishing in Starkville", etc.

Make a definitive statement that you are NOT interested in the other job. The rumors are unfounded and you are completely focused solely on the job at hand at MSU.

Do that, or don't get an extension when you might next otherwise deserve one.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 06:57 PM
It's more than "random blog rumors". Pete Thamel has mentioned it, as have multiple sources. Let's not pretend it's not "out there" being talked about nationally.

And how much time does it take to simply make a statement each time something like this comes up? It's not that hard. Others have done it. When a coach doesn't do it...the speculation that it's true grows, and it's used against us in recruiting.

And it can't be some cute non-denial denial, like, "I don;t know where that's coming from, and that's just a sign people are excited about what we're accomplishing in Starkville", etc.

Make a definitive statement that you are NOT interested in the other job. The rumors are unfounded and you are completely focused solely on the job at hand at MSU.

It doesn't matter. McElwain just did that and are still rumors with him today stronger than Mullen. Going so far to say he is working behind the scenes to get the job. It can and will still be used until they name a coach.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 06:58 PM

It doesn't matter. McElwain just did that and are still rumors with him today stronger than Mullen. Going so far to say he is working behind the scenes to get the job. It can and will still be used until they name a coach.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 06:59 PM

Yep. Besides, he may actually want to see what they have to offer while being perfectly content with staying in Starkville...so coming out with a statement can make him look like a liar

DancingRabbit
12-05-2016, 06:59 PM

One year seems a little quick to tack that label on him. Prior to this year wasn't there only one loss in 7 years when favored?

While I don't think there's much to the Oregon reports, I think Dan would be good anywhere he went. Great? Maybe, maybe not.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 07:08 PM
But at least Mcilwain came out and said it. Let the agent do the behind the scenes shit.

FISHDAWG
12-05-2016, 07:10 PM
THIS! This has been one of the big problems we have had with Dan that hurts our recruiting. Even if he ultimately interviews and even leaves...come out now publicly and say you are not leaving...you are happy as hell here at State...and you are looking forward to working towards championships at MSU.

Say publicly you are not speaking to anyone about another job...that you are happy where your are, and plan to be here for years to come.

If we had given him a contract extension I would agree ... but there is no way he will deny it while waiting on an extension - at least I wouldn't if it were me... that's just not the smart move

Political Hack
12-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Doesn't matter. Oregon isn't coming after Mullen for the tune of $18 million over the next two years. That's what this would cost them. It's not happening.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 07:12 PM

It does matter. If he's lying he can always backtrack like Saban.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Doesn't matter. Oregon isn't coming after Mullen for the tune of $18 million over the next two years. That's what this would cost them. It's not happening.

That's including the buyout correct?

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Oregon is blowing media skirts up. Mullen isn't the splash they want.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 07:15 PM
But at least Mcilwain came out and said it. Let the agent do the behind the scenes shit.

The point is it hasn't stopped anything being rumored.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 07:18 PM
The point is it hasn't stopped anything being rumored.

And it won't. If recruits will believe something in the media he's up for a job they will believe when Mullen comes out and says he's not. Part of the process. It's dumb buts it's real.

Really Clark?
12-05-2016, 07:21 PM
And it won't. If recruits will believe something in the media he's up for a job they will believe when Mullen comes out and says he's not. Part of the process. It's dumb buts it's real.

I agree with that. He has to make sure to communicate with the recruits sincerely. That's the main thing to me.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Once our fans all get it through their heads that this is Mullen's job, and that he's not some fan that has bled maroon since birth...maybe we can all realize that job searches, job interviews, and playing ball to get more money is just part of the "business" that he is a part of.

Quit expecting more from Mullen than you would from yourself with your own job.

DancingRabbit
12-05-2016, 07:25 PM

Do you really think recruiting battles are won by what you tell the Clarion Ledger?

I figure if you can't communicate that with a recruit face to face, you aren't getting that recruit anyway.

Are there any so-called "documented cases" of recruits being lost because of what Dan says to reporters? I think Dan being more Bjork-like with regards to job rumors would keep a certain percentage of the fanbase from being butt-hurt, but would have little to do with recruiting battles.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Once our fans all get it through their heads that this is Mullen's job, and that he's not some fan that has bled maroon since birth...maybe we can all realize that job searches, job interviews, and playing ball to get more money is just part of the "business" that he is a part of.

If I was looking around and my supervisors found out you better believe that they would want a yes/no response from me. Asking Dan to reaffirm his commitment is not irrational or out of line at all. Whether the job offer is real or not.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 07:29 PM
If I was looking around and my supervisors found out you better believe that they would want a yes/no response from me. Asking Dan to reaffirm his commitment is not irrational or out of line at all. Whether the job offer is real or not.

And he has probably informed his....John Cohen. Not Cadaverdawg or Todd4State

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 07:33 PM
And he has probably informed his....John Cohen. Not Cadaverdawg or Todd4State

If that's the case then the next step is to put something out publicly because of the nature of his position. We'll see of that happens. Welcome to bring an AD John!

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 07:34 PM
And Dan might want to inform Keenum too. In fact that would actually be who I would inform first in his case.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 07:41 PM
And Dan might want to inform Keenum too. In fact that would actually be who I would inform first in his case.

Lol, You expect Keenum & Cohen to be contacted by Mullen about every Bleacher Report rumor? Mullen doesn't have to do shit...he's not getting a contract extension so he's got leverage. It's the nature of the business. Would you rather him be like Saban, tell us he's staying and then leave anyway? Our fans Saying he "must disspell the rumors" is just so funny to me. As if you'd do it if it were Your job

basedog
12-05-2016, 07:44 PM

Pretty sure Keenum and Cohen know what is going on. I don't blame Mullen, I wouldn't say anything either, remember he hasn't received a contract extension. Oregon is gonna put out a bunch of coaches thrown into their mix, it makes them look better nationally.

Btw, I think Oregon has probably been turned down by a couple of coaches.

C222
12-05-2016, 07:48 PM

I would love to know who you think we could get that would be better.

was21
12-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Damn...somebody gets it

fader2103
12-05-2016, 07:59 PM
most the time if a college doesn't have the money right then to buyout the contract the two schools will arrange a payment plan or some other agreements. this is just his agent doing work.

Turfdawg67
12-05-2016, 08:06 PM

Exactly! He doesn't have to hold a presser just because a bunch of keyboard cowboys get excited about every rumor of him leaving. A year from now it will become "Mullen was lobbying for the Oregon job".

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 08:07 PM
One year seems a little quick to tack that label on him. Prior to this year wasn't there only one loss in 7 years when favored?

While I don't think there's much to the Oregon reports, I think Dan would be good anywhere he went. Great? Maybe, maybe not.

C'mon...you know we've blown opportunities vs favored teams because Dan was stubborn, or blew clock-management (Auburn come to mind?), or got stupid with play-calling (2014 vs Bama), etc.

Don't focus on favored or not favored. Look at games that were close losses where we wasted a few drives running Perkins or Holloway up the middle, or gave away a drive or 2 because Dan was content to go to the half holing onto timeouts, etc.

Bucky Dog
12-05-2016, 08:09 PM

THIS!!!!! Stop ****ing starting these stupid ass threads where rumor this and rumor that and some on here have to give their two cents! Why should he respond to every rumor? Why should we have to start a thread about every rumor?? Where are you Ref?? Lock this one too!

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 08:11 PM
Lol, You expect Keenum & Cohen to be contacted by Mullen about every Bleacher Report rumor? Mullen doesn't have to do shit...he's not getting a contract extension so he's got leverage. It's the nature of the business. Would you rather him be like Saban, tell us he's staying and then leave anyway? Our fans Saying he "must disspell the rumors" is just so funny to me. As if you'd do it if it were Your job

Yes I do. Tell you what- why don't I put out rumors about you leaving your job to your boss and you tell me how it goes? Other coaches dispel rumors so why is Dan above that? Whether they are true or not? That's also part of the business and part that Dan has failed at pretty miserably so far. Our own AD was telling recruits that he wasn't going to be the AD and to not believe it up to the day before he was named the AD. So Cohen knows how it works. And if there were rumors about my job and my boss approached me about it you better believe I would deny it. As you would too. Businesses have fired people for looking around in some instances.

So, yes I would rather Dan lie about looking around because I'll tell you- I'm not pissed at Cohen for lying about it. Players and recruits want to know who they are playing for- especially in a sport that is so specialized like football. You think Keytaeon Thompson wants to play QB for Paul Johnson? Our fans need to hear it because people want to support someone that is going to be here.

It's funny to me that people like you think it's no big deal when Dan looking around and not dispelling it was the biggest reason why he didn't get extended in the first place. So, it's a big deal to someone at MSU that's higher than me.

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 08:12 PM
I would love to know who you think we could get that would be better.

We can't know for sure...but Brohm looked pretty good, as does PJ Fleck. Dan's big upside is he's the Dual-threat QB guru. But he does have his faults...as does just about anyone. Another coach would probably not be as goos with QB development, bt he might be better at recruiting, or game-calling or getting a DC, etc, etc.

There are no guarantees.

GTHOM
12-05-2016, 08:13 PM
Oregon wants Chip Kelly

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 08:14 PM
THIS!!!!! Stop ****ing starting these stupid ass threads where rumor this and rumor that and some on here have to give their two cents! Why should he respond to every rumor? Why should we have to start a thread about every rumor?? Where are you Ref?? Lock this one too!

Because he makes $4+ million per year..and when he farts around with this shit, it hurts our recruiting and our name-brand.

For $4+ mill we can damn sure expect him to go out there 100 times or more to deny any interest, etc.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Pretty sure Keenum and Cohen know what is going on. I don't blame Mullen, I wouldn't say anything either, remember he hasn't received a contract extension. Oregon is gonna put out a bunch of coaches thrown into their mix, it makes them look better nationally.

Btw, I think Oregon has probably been turned down by a couple of coaches.

They probably do, but I don't definitively know that. And I do agree that when you are looking for a job you normally want to keep it as quiet as possible- that's how you should handle it. But being a power five football coach makes it hard to do that than a typical job. And I've never had a problem with Dan looking around- my problem is how it has been handled by him and the University. A statement isn't going to hurt anything.

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 08:16 PM
Where are you Ref?? Lock this one too!

This one started by a mod. Probably why it wasn't locked.

basedog
12-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Yes I do. Tell you what- why don't I put out rumors about you leaving your job to your boss and you tell me how it goes? Other coaches dispel rumors so why is Dan above that? Whether they are true or not? That's also part of the business and part that Dan has failed at pretty miserably so far. Our own AD was telling recruits that he wasn't going to be the AD and to not believe it up to the day before he was named the AD. So Cohen knows how it works. And if there were rumors about my job and my boss approached me about it you better believe I would deny it. As you would too. Businesses have fired people for looking around in some instances.

So, yes I would rather Dan lie about looking around because I'll tell you- I'm not pissed at Cohen for lying about it. Players and recruits want to know who they are playing for- especially in a sport that is so specialized like football. You think Keytaeon Thompson wants to play QB for Paul Johnson? Our fans need to hear it because people want to support someone that is going to be here.

It's funny to me that people like you think it's no big deal when Dan looking around and not dispelling it was the biggest reason why he didn't get extended in the first place. So, it's a big deal to someone at MSU that's higher than me.

Looking around because a message board from Oregon says he is own their shots list.

Damn. Ok, let me tell you what I know, this comes from inside information, he hasn't interviewed, he didn't have his agent pursue the Ducks. Rumors just what it is.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 08:18 PM

You and I aren't a hot commodity like Mullen. That's where you're missing it...Mullen has leverage bc nobody is going to say, GTFO. Nor should they.

basedog
12-05-2016, 08:20 PM
You and I aren't a hot commodity like Mullen. That's where you're missing it...Mullen has leverage bc nobody is going to say, GTFO. Nor should they.

LMBO! I got you -7 on PlayStation.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 08:23 PM
Looking around because a message board from Oregon says he is own their shots list.

Damn. Ok, let me tell you what I know, this comes from inside information, he hasn't interviewed, he didn't have his agent pursue the Ducks. Rumors just what it is.

I don't think he is going either, but a statement doesn't hurt because the rumor is out there.

basedog
12-05-2016, 08:30 PM
I don't think he is going either, but a statement doesn't hurt because the rumor is out there.

It wouldn't change anything, it's obvious the rumors will never go away with Mullen. I think much of it has to do with how we Msu are perceived across the country. We have never in my lifetime had a Coach even mentioned for another job. Well JWS did want to return to Pitt but was shot down by their President.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 08:32 PM

Businesses don't want their employees looking around for other jobs period. I don't care if you are the CEO or the cleaning lady. You might want to tell that second sentence to the guy that didn't extend his contract in the first place. No one is above being fired at any time for any reason- reasonable or not. That includes me and you.

All we're asking for is a damn statement from his secretary. That's really too much to ask? Do you think Dan is better than Florida's coach which is a much more prestigious program than ours? PJ Fleck denied rumors on ESPN when they tried to bait him but Dan is somehow above that? And what you aren't getting is a statement might also quell any of the other rumors.

You're asking why would it help when you should be asking what would it hurt? Why would you not want our football program to do a small thing that would secure it's stability and only help? Because you think it's "stupid"? Because you think I'm arrogant? GTFO.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 08:38 PM
It wouldn't change anything, it's obvious the rumors will never go away with Mullen. I think much of it has to do with how we Msu are perceived across the country. We have never in my lifetime had a Coach even mentioned for another job. Well JWS did want to return to Pitt but was shot down by their President.

It won't stop the rumors but it will help manage our program. That's what everyone that wants a statement is saying. If you don't there is a lot of uncertainty. That does affect recruiting. And if he does by very, very, very slim chance leave then that creates an even longer period of uncertainty.

Look at how we handled our recent baseball coach hire. We did that flawlessly IMO. And there were certainly rumors about Cohen becoming the AD for a month or so before it happened. That's all I want to have happen here. And not that I think he's leaving- I just want it managed well whether he stays or leaves.

If you have to release a statement every year, release one every year. So what? That's part of it. That's better than doing nothing and having other teams take advantage of us not doing anything about it every year.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 09:01 PM
It's real easy to throw a tweet out of we can't be more excited to prepare for our bowl game and our great recruiting class that is about to hit campus. Real easy.

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 09:29 PM
If you have to release a statement every year, release one every year. So what? That's part of it. That's better than doing nothing and having other teams take advantage of us not doing anything about it every year.

For $4+ million he can do it as many times as it helps. If he needs to do it 5 times a year...ten times a year, so what?

HoopsDawg
12-05-2016, 09:31 PM
It's real easy to throw a tweet out of we can't be more excited to prepare for our bowl game and our great recruiting class that is about to hit campus. Real easy.

Why is that so hard for people like basedog to understand?

bulldawg28
12-05-2016, 09:32 PM

This

msstate7
12-05-2016, 09:35 PM
Why is that so hard for people like basedog to understand?

Doesn't Mullen have 2 years left on contract? With no guarantee here beyond that, why say he has no interest?

What if Mullen hasn't even been contacted? What would he be shooting down? A 247 article?

bulldawg28
12-05-2016, 09:35 PM
By now our fans should be able to ignore it by now. Every year his name pops up. With the success of Dak now his name will become even hotter.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 09:49 PM
By now our fans should be able to ignore it by now. Every year his name pops up. With the success of Dak now his name will become even hotter.

It's not for our fans. It's for the potential recruits.

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 09:50 PM
Doesn't Mullen have 2 years left on contract? With no guarantee here beyond that, why say he has no interest?

What if Mullen hasn't even been contacted? What would he be shooting down? A 247 article?

Is 247 not a reputable web site?

Todd4State
12-05-2016, 09:51 PM
For $4+ million he can do it as many times as it helps. If he needs to do it 5 times a year...ten times a year, so what?

Exactly.

msstate7
12-05-2016, 09:52 PM
Is 247 not a reputable web site?

Yes and no.

David Johnson writes for 247. Is he credible?

TXDawg
12-05-2016, 10:03 PM
Our fans are the biggest idiots with respect to "Mullen to _______" rumors. Let me summarize the annual cycle for ya'll:

1) Some dumbass blogger or UMiss tool throws some dumbass rumor out there that has no legs.
2) Mullen makes the statement (either in a press conference or in an impromptu interview) that he's happy in Starkville and he doesn't address rumors.
3) Our idiot fans freak the F*** out and are convinced that he's looking and tell him to pack his bags and get the F*** out thereby perpetuating the rumors.

You people need to stop. He's already said (in the Egg Bowl post-game press conference) that he's looking forward to next year and that he has a lot of work to do to get this team ready for next year.

Sack up and quit believing all the dumbass rumors that are being floated by people/teams that want to see us suffer.

bulldawg28
12-05-2016, 10:03 PM

You honestly don't believe Dan would address with recruits? He's done it every year.

dawgday166
12-05-2016, 10:04 PM
I read somewhere that Mullen was going to be in Trump's cabinet *****

msstate7
12-05-2016, 10:06 PM

Secretary of New Jobs**

dawgday166
12-05-2016, 10:09 PM
Secretary of New Jobs**

Ha! He going to arbitrate all the off-season coaching moves.

Activated Alpha
12-05-2016, 10:21 PM

Hah just don't put him in charge of department of defense. Don't think our country can handle a bend don't break policy...

Bucky Dog
12-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Businesses don't want their employees looking around for other jobs period. I don't care if you are the CEO or the cleaning lady. You might want to tell that second sentence to the guy that didn't extend his contract in the first place. No one is above being fired at any time for any reason- reasonable or not. That includes me and you.

All we're asking for is a damn statement from his secretary. That's really too much to ask? Do you think Dan is better than Florida's coach which is a much more prestigious program than ours? PJ Fleck denied rumors on ESPN when they tried to bait him but Dan is somehow above that? And what you aren't getting is a statement might also quell any of the other rumors.

You're asking why would it help when you should be asking what would it hurt? Why would you not want our football program to do a small thing that would secure it's stability and only help? Because you think it's "stupid"? Because you think I'm arrogant? GTFO.

Todd, I manage 11 people and I am going to disagree with you. If you are happy where you work, are performing, well and have a good relationship with your manager, I have no problem with my reps testing the waters or interviewing to see what is out there's. And those that I want to keep and who like working for me, we have that relationship where they tell me when they get a call from another company or have an interview. They tell me that because they respect me and like working for me, and they know I respect them. And this is what I think Dan has with Keenum and now Cohen, and I don't think they ask him to make public statement about rumors or facts for the matter.

I've got a few really good reps who have been contacted numerous times, and I am sure they don't tell me all but they do come to me if it is relevant. I don't blame them for seeing what is out there, because it is business! And to be honest I've had them turn down more money to stay because they liked their current setup and it was more about the overall situation than $10-20K more. They trust me to give them my honest opinion and I just know Dan and our people have that. We all go through a phase of not being happy or looking at our options just to see what else the world offers, and our heart keeps us here.

I'm just saying we have to stop these threads and speculating and creating more drama. If Dan leaves, then he leaves. He's recruiting the guys he wants to be here and he has never, and will never get hung up in all of the BS.

Bucky Dog
12-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Our fans are the biggest idiots with respect to "Mullen to _______" rumors. Let me summarize the annual cycle for ya'll:

1) Some dumbass blogger or UMiss tool throws some dumbass rumor out there that has no legs.
2) Mullen makes the statement (either in a press conference or in an impromptu interview) that he's happy in Starkville and he doesn't address rumors.
3) Our idiot fans freak the F*** out and are convinced that he's looking and tell him to pack his bags and get the F*** out thereby perpetuating the rumors.

You people need to stop. He's already said (in the Egg Bowl post-game press conference) that he's looking forward to next year and that he has a lot of work to do to get this team ready for next year.

Sack up and quit believing all the dumbass rumors that are being floated by people/teams that want to see us suffer.

Amen brother!

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 10:32 PM

Saying he has no interest can help recruiting. What does it matter if he was contacted or not? The point is, we want to dispel rumors that he is considering leaving.

I would limit his responses to those put out by publications with at least some credibility. If one of the known sites, or a known, credible media source mentions it...address it. If its just Yancy or a fan MB...ignore it.

He says he has no interest publicly to limit damage to recruiting. That does not prevent him or his agent from talking to other schools.

In his salary range, potential employers are not going to give a shit what he says publicly about staying at MSU.

Did Texas drop their interest in Herman when he denied having any interest or contact with them the day before he was officially offered?

dawgday166
12-05-2016, 10:34 PM
Hah just don't put him in charge of department of defense. Don't think our country can handle a bend don't break policy...

LOL ... I think he been eliminated from that one. The "bend don't break" and "crooting new soldiers" combined to slam the door on his nomination ******

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 10:44 PM

The ones who freak out to shit on Nafoom, OM Spirit, etc are idiots. The ones who want Dan to respond to stuff put out by an ESPN, CBS Sports, Yahoo, or similar reporters/networks are not idiots.

blacklistedbully
12-05-2016, 10:48 PM
Todd, I manage 11 people and I am going to disagree with you. If you are happy where you work, are performing, well and have a good relationship with your manager, I have no problem with my reps testing the waters or interviewing to see what is out there's. And those that I want to keep and who like working for me, we have that relationship where they tell me when they get a call from another company or have an interview. They tell me that because they respect me and like working for me, and they know I respect them. And this is what I think Dan has with Keenum and now Cohen, and I don't think they ask him to make public statement about rumors or facts for the matter.

I've got a few really good reps who have been contacted numerous times, and I am sure they don't tell me all but they do come to me if it is relevant. I don't blame them for seeing what is out there, because it is business! And to be honest I've had them turn down more money to stay because they liked their current setup and it was more about the overall situation than $10-20K more. They trust me to give them my honest opinion and I just know Dan and our people have that. We all go through a phase of not being happy or looking at our options just to see what else the world offers, and our heart keeps us here.

I'm just saying we have to stop these threads and speculating and creating more drama. If Dan leaves, then he leaves. He's recruiting the guys he wants to be here and he has never, and will never get hung up in all of the BS.

How would you feel if your employees went around telling everybody, including your customers and employees that they were looking at taking a job with a competitor? How would you feel if you heard from your customers that one of your top reps was talking to one of your biggest competitors about leaving you and taking several of your employees with them?

Bucky Dog
12-05-2016, 10:57 PM
How would you feel if your employees went around telling everybody, including your customers and employees that they were looking at taking a job with a competitor? How would you feel if you heard from your customers that one of your top reps was talking to one of your biggest competitors about leaving you and taking several of your employees with them?

See now don't start that about Dan because that's not what he's doing. But to entertain your point, my employees that trust me and respect me and have a great relationship with me would not do that. Now if I had an employee that started that and it got back to me that he was undermining me and the job, he would be gone. But that is not Dan, he's not going to Oregon. Mountain meet mole hill!

blacklistedbully
12-06-2016, 02:01 AM
See now don't start that about Dan because that's not what he's doing. But to entertain your point, my employees that trust me and respect me and have a great relationship with me would not do that. Now if I had an employee that started that and it got back to me that he was undermining me and the job, he would be gone. But that is not Dan, he's not going to Oregon. Mountain meet mole hill!

When we hear reports from credible sources...right or wrong, that Dan is a candidate for another job, and Dan refuses to outright deny it, that is nowhere near your rep coming to you as you described.

In your scenario, it would be like Dan hearing from Oregon, then going to Cohen and/or Dr. Keenum to tell them. As those on our side have said time-and-again, we are fine with that. But when it gets out...and the position Dan takes serves to cause us problems with recruiting, that's a different story.

A better analogy for you would be if your top rep was rumored to be considering going to a competitor and that rumor got out to your customers who like doing business with him, but are willing to shift their business elsewhere, to their 2nd favorite rep who works for your competitor because of their uncertainty your guy is staying to handle their business...would you be fine with your rep not telling your customers he's staying with you? Would you be OK with your rep allowing the rumor to spread and gain steam? Or would you expect him to, "shit or get off the pot", especially if you're compensating him higher than all but 15 people in his entire profession?

fader2103
12-06-2016, 08:52 AM

This all day long

starkvegasdawg
12-06-2016, 08:55 AM

Going to make football great again.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 08:58 AM
Since this is about Oregon, P J Fleck will not get a formal interview with Oregon. They spoke but Oregon closed the door with him as a candidate.

sandwolf
12-06-2016, 12:21 PM

I feel like Mullen could manage the rumors a whole lot easier if our fans didn't freak out and add so much fuel to the fire. If it is just OM fans saying Mullen to Oregon, it is pretty easy to manage.......but you combine that with our own fans (including board moderators/owners) shouting from the roof tops that Mullen wants out - whether it's true or not - it becomes a lot harder to squash.

Just watch....in a week or so Oregon will have hired someone else and we will have multiple people with sources claiming that Mullen did everything he could to get the job but they didn't want him, turning the focus back towards the idea that Dan is disloyal and he is doing everything he can do to get out of Starkville. If OM fans were put in that situation, they would immediately fill their boards and their recruits' twitter feeds with bullshit claiming that Freeze turned down multiple offers from Oregon because he couldn't bear the thought of leaving their storied football program and the mecca that is Oxford.

There is no doubt that Mullen needs to do a better job of endearing himself to his fan base, but we need to improve too. I am in no way suggesting that we take the same delusional approach that the OM fans take, but it would help our cause if we didn't make "recruiting sensitive" topics like this a focal point of the board right before we are supposed to seal the deal with a bunch of JUCO's and HS EE's (including our highly touted QB commit that LSU has been rumored to be making a play for).

msstate7
12-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Since this is about Oregon, P J Fleck will not get a formal interview with Oregon. They spoke but Oregon closed the door with him as a candidate.

Wonder why. Now that rhule is off the table, if Mullen does happen to leave, I'd like fleck

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:02 PM
Wonder why. Now that rhule is off the table, if Mullen does happen to leave, I'd like fleck

Concerns over actually handling a large school program is the rumor. Wolken tweeted that Oregon made a play for Rhule last night but he turned them down for Baylor. He states Taggert may be next in line. They also interviewed Schanio and no, Dan still hasn't been mentioned as a candidate or that he has made any type of contact.

smootness
12-06-2016, 01:04 PM
I want Mullen to stay for sure. If he were to leave, Fleck would be an absolute grand slam.

HSVDawg
12-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Concerns over actually handling a large school program is the rumor. Wolken tweeted that Oregon made a play for Rhule last night but he turned them down for Baylor. He states Taggert may be next in line. They also interviewed Schanio and no, Dan still hasn't been mentioned as a candidate or that he has made any type of contact.

If Oregon is now below Baylor in the pecking order, that would be really strange. Wonder if there are mumblings in coaching circles about the AD or school admimistration at Oregon being difficult to deal with. Oregon should be a Top 10 job and Baylor may not even be a Top 30 or 40 job.

Really Clark?
12-06-2016, 01:17 PM
If Oregon is now below Baylor in the pecking order, that would be really strange. Wonder if there are mumblings in coaching circles about the AD or school admimistration at Oregon being difficult to deal with. Oregon should be a Top 10 job and Baylor may not even be a Top 30 or 40 job.

You know I would say the fit was wrong for Oregon and Rhule anyway and he was eyeing Penn St but Franklin secured his job in a big way. But Baylor and Rhule is not really a natural fit either. He brings a lot of what Baylor needs and wants right now as far as integrity, discipline in the program, etc. but curious that he just didn't go to Cincinnati or wait another year. He may do great and has a good plan but odd paring looking at it from the outside. Recruiting base is a lot better at Baylor and that may be something that really tipped the scale for him. But Oregon would have been also. And both would be shifting philosophy from what they have done recently.

Liverpooldawg
12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I feel like Mullen could manage the rumors a whole lot easier if our fans didn't freak out and add so much fuel to the fire. If it is just OM fans saying Mullen to Oregon, it is pretty easy to manage.......but you combine that with our own fans (including board moderators/owners) shouting from the roof tops that Mullen wants out - whether it's true or not - it becomes a lot harder to squash.

Just watch....in a week or so Oregon will have hired someone else and we will have multiple people with sources claiming that Mullen did everything he could to get the job but they didn't want him, turning the focus back towards the idea that Dan is disloyal and he is doing everything he can do to get out of Starkville. If OM fans were put in that situation, they would immediately fill their boards and their recruits' twitter feeds with bullshit claiming that Freeze turned down multiple offers from Oregon because he couldn't bear the thought of leaving their storied football program and the mecca that is Oxford.

There is no doubt that Mullen needs to do a better job of endearing himself to his fan base, but we need to improve too. I am in no way suggesting that we take the same delusional approach that the OM fans take, but it would help our cause if we didn't make "recruiting sensitive" topics like this a focal point of the board right before we are supposed to seal the deal with a bunch of JUCO's and HS EE's (including our highly touted QB commit that LSU has been rumored to be making a play for).

YES

preachermatt83
12-06-2016, 01:25 PM
I want Mullen to stay for sure. If he were to leave, Fleck would be an absolute grand slam.

Yup.

Todd4State
12-06-2016, 02:42 PM

No one is dreaming out in this thread because we think he's leaving. We're freaking out because it's not being managed.