PDA

View Full Version : Would Cam Akers To Ole Miss Be the Silliest Commitment In MS History?

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2016, 09:59 AM
On Bounds this morning, Bo said that he is hearing that Akers wants to go to LSU but may end up at OM due to "pressure".

It got me thinking, would Akers committing to OM be the silliest commitment in Mississippi history?

Let's look at the evidence

- Chance to got to a bowl game? No

- Chance to win the Heisman? No. probably won't ever go to a bowl game.

- Chance to play on a good team? Maybe. Will have to be soon because that currently ranked 59th recruiting class with similar classes to follow will be bearing down on him.

- Will he play for current OM coaches? Probably not

- Will he develop? They haven't developed anyone.

- Lastly, as the Kang used to say, cheating in recruiting doesn't work if the kid doesn't go to the school he wants because when the going gets tough he'll make excuses. Whereas kids that attend schools they want to go hold themselves accountable and figure things out.

So, if Cam goes to OM, would any recruit in Mississippi history have less going for him?

What silly, awful decision that would be. Not to mention it may show up in the NCAA's radar

Jack Lambert
12-05-2016, 10:01 AM
What pressure? Is his parents being given money or something?

SaintDawg
12-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Some people just can't see the forest for the trees. They'll make their bed and then blame everyone else for having to lay in it.

GreenheadDawg
12-05-2016, 10:30 AM
What pressure? Is his parents being given money or something?

I really don't want to spread rumors about a kid or his family but the word around Clinton is that his mama is sending him to the highest bidder and you know who that is.

HoopsDawg
12-05-2016, 10:35 AM
CJ Johnson to Ole Miss was pretty baffling. AJ was pretty bad last year b/c of how many receivers Ole Miss has and what a huge need he was for us.

But yeah, Cam to Ole Miss would be a bad career move for him. He would be better off going to any other sec school maybe even Missouri.

lamont
12-05-2016, 10:41 AM
OM has only had 4 1,000 yard rushers since Integration

It would be a horrible move for him

fishwater99
12-05-2016, 10:45 AM
The Bears were there yesterday and he called them his family...

Mjoelner34
12-05-2016, 10:58 AM

Is that pullover courtesy of Rebel Rags?

maroonmania
12-05-2016, 11:07 AM
The dude is from Clinton, not South Panola. The only "pressure" he might be facing is an offer too good to pass up.

AlSwearengen
12-05-2016, 11:11 AM
He can be a rb in bucky's offense, which is not an attractive proposition. Or, he can be a rb in a new coach's offense, which has to be more attractive. But, with their problems on the OL and serious penalties looming, I don't see them having a great chance of upgrading their OL.

mstatefan91
12-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Some people don't recognize a bad deal even when it smacks them in the face.

BeastMan
12-05-2016, 11:12 AM
Freeze has never had a 1,000 yard rusher and that offense will teach ZERO concepts a RB needs for the NFL.

fishwater99
12-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Freeze has never had a 1,000 yard rusher and that offense will teach ZERO concepts a RB needs for the NFL.

It's not like Freeze is know for developing RB's for the NFL...

Political Hack
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
OM has only had 4 1,000 yard rushers since Integration

It would be a horrible move for him

And none of them belonged to Freeze.

It would arguably be the dumbest move in the history of MS sports. It would be akin to the Red Sox trading Ruth, but in this case the Aker's family gets to be the Red Sox. Honestly, I would rather see him go to OM than LSU though because he won't be a threat there. If he goes to LSU, he's going to cram it down our throats for four years behind a real OL on a national contender. If he goes to Ole Miss, he'll be lucky to hoist to the egg bowl trophy in his lifetime and we know they're not going to be hoisting any other trophies while he's there. Him on a good team would be scary.

starkvegasdawg
12-05-2016, 11:20 AM

That's actually an altered image. An Ole Miss sorority student informant, I'll call her Deep Throat, sent me the original image:

http://i.imgur.com/lBMrBGZ.png

maroonmania
12-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Is Freeze wanting him as a RB?

HSVDawg
12-05-2016, 11:26 AM

It would arguably be the dumbest move in the history of MS sports. It would be akin to the Red Sox trading Ruth, but in this case the Aker's family gets to be the Red Sox. Honestly, I would rather see him go to OM than LSU though because he won't be a threat there. If he goes to LSU, he's going to cram it down our throats for four years behind a real OL on a national contender. If he goes to Ole Miss, he'll be lucky to hoist to the egg bowl trophy in his lifetime and we know they're not going to be hoisting any other trophies while he's there. Him on a good team would be scary.

If he's as good as everybody says (or even half as good), he won't be at LSU but for 3 years, and he will be behind Guice for at least one of those years and will have to beat out multiple other 4* and 5* RB's for the other 2 years. LSU is never going to be NOT able to run the ball, so him going there doesn't change anything in regards to MSU or our games against them.

Personally, I'm running out of F's to give about Akers. It's looking more and more like his eventual destination isn't going to affect us one bit (unless by some miracle he chooses MSU), so I don't know why so many folks even care where he goes.

msstate7
12-05-2016, 11:33 AM
If you're the NCAA, doesn't this send up red flags? Shouldn't they be interviewing Akers right now?

notsofarawaydawg
12-05-2016, 11:34 AM
Freeze sure is getting cozy with the young lady. I guess he's humming "Old times there are not forgotten" in his head. Hypocrite in so many ways. I guess the network has come up with a new "cartel" method of money exchange that the NCAA can't detect. What does his mom do for employment? I guess she could move into the Tunsil house.

fishwater99
12-05-2016, 11:36 AM
If he's as good as everybody says (or even half as good), he won't be at LSU but for 3 years, and he will be behind Guice for at least one of those years and will have to beat out multiple other 4* and 5* RB's for the other 2 years. LSU is never going to be NOT able to run the ball, so him going there doesn't change anything in regards to MSU or our games against them.

Personally, I'm running out of F's to give about Akers. It's looking more and more like his eventual destination isn't going to affect us one bit (unless by some miracle he chooses MSU), so I don't know why so many folks even care where he goes.

So his is not going to an SEC school? Michigan, OSU or FSU ?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 11:45 AM
Surely they are not stupid enough to be doing this while being investigated...

bulldog2488
12-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Not sure of the family's employment, but they have a fairly nice house. A friend and coworker lives down the street.

thf24
12-05-2016, 11:49 AM

Hasn't slowed them down before now since 2013 when the investigation started.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I know but if there is about to be show causes handed out, how they go to a recruits house and face a family and tell them all is well if it is not?

mstatefan91
12-05-2016, 11:57 AM
I know but if there is about to be show causes handed out, how they go to a recruits house and face a family and tell them all is well if it is not?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2946125/freeze_here_ya_go__2_.gif

HSVDawg
12-05-2016, 11:59 AM
So his is not going to an SEC school? Michigan, OSU or FSU ?

I didn't say that. I said his decision won't affect us. If he goes SEC, its either LSU or OM. If its LSU, he joins a team with a bunch of other stud RB's and OL that are going to be able to dominate the running game with or without him. If its OM, he's going somewhere with a crippling supporting cast and probation looming where they will suck with or without him. It's two opposite ends of the spectrum, but in either case he isn't going to be the catalyst that causes us to lose a winnable game against either team. Just isn't gonna happen.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-05-2016, 11:59 AM
Is Freeze wanting him as a RB?

Yes

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 12:14 PM
If they are that compulsive about it then I think it's a sickness. seriously. I hope the NCAA buries them.

Jacksondevildog
12-05-2016, 12:16 PM
Follow a possible paper trail to his "dad". Former MVSU basketball player. He's in the pic.

thf24
12-05-2016, 12:38 PM
If they are that compulsive about it then I think it's a sickness. seriously. I hope the NCAA buries them.

I almost want to say Freeze has got to be a full blown sociopath if he can do this thing, buying players to use them up and discard them when they're spent, then lay on the Christian shtick to as extreme of a degree as he does and still sleep at night.

Bothrops
12-05-2016, 12:40 PM
Akers to OM would absolutely be the dumbest commitment in the last several years.

HaggardDawg
12-05-2016, 12:52 PM
Let's say he signs with OM and the NCAA hammer comes down granting immediate transfer options to signees. Where would he go then? By that point, Bama, OSU, FSU, and LSU would have already signed another 5* RB or multiple ones and not have room.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2016, 12:54 PM
I'd have to say yeah

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2016, 01:01 PM
Let's say he signs with OM and the NCAA hammer comes down granting immediate transfer options to signees. Where would he go then? By that point, Bama, OSU, FSU, and LSU would have already signed another 5* RB or multiple ones and not have room.

If I'm the NCAA I'm not letting this year's signees transfer. Last year their recruits were lied to. That's on Ole Miss and they should be able to transfer.

As for this year's recruits, they are just idiots and deserve no such sympathy if they are actually that retarded to sign with OM.

Coldsleeve Jr.
12-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Is he a player?*

BossDawg
12-05-2016, 01:15 PM
It's funny how a lot of these guys seem to be under a lot of "pressure" from UM during their recruitment. They are psychopaths when it comes to recruiting, and not in a good way -they are just stupid. I hope other coaches are filling Cam's ears with 1.) Freeze's lack of player development, and 2.) How the NCAA is preparing to prison rape their program. It's pretty evident where that "pressure" is coming from and why. It's pathetic how UM continues to play that game.

BossDawg
12-05-2016, 01:19 PM
I really don't want to spread rumors about a kid or his family but the word around Clinton is that his mama is sending him to the highest bidder and you know who that is.

UM has to have the dumbest drones on earth if they're still playing desperate recruiting games while under NCAA investigation.

BB30
12-05-2016, 01:30 PM
I hope he ends up in Ohio the kid is a freak athlete regardless of what your personal opinion is of he and his family. I would much rather not have to see him every year for 3-4 years. Although, if he does end up at OM we may get to beat the brakes off of them for the foreseeable future. One running back in their system won't beat us, so if he were to land in the SEC that might be the best place for us personally.

And lets look at this: which program doesn't fit...

Ohio State University
LSU
Alabama
Michigan
Ole Miss

Strange....

PassInterference
12-05-2016, 01:34 PM
Robert Nkemdiche, the #1 college football player and #1 DL guy in the country went to Ole Miss to play for a DL coach who had never coach DL before. He got drafted (we would have been drafted high no matter where he went to school), but his performance in the NFL has been bad. Dude can't even get on the field.

Treadwell, the nation's #1 high school WR, went to Ole Miss to play for an offense-oriented head coach who had never coordinated an offense at a power 5 conference. He got drafted (we would have been drafted high no matter where he went to school), but his performance in the NFL has been bad. Dude can't even get on the field. He even tells people that he didn't learn much about the WR position at Ole Miss.

Tunsil...same story. Got to the NFL and had to move from OT to OG.

Freeze hasn't produced a single player that was able to do much of anything in the NFL.

Akers plays a position that Freeze's offense doesn't feature. Maybe that would change with Akers there, maybe it wouldn't. Maybe Akers could still get drafted from Ole Miss - maybe. But one thing's for sure...he wouldn't develop much as a player at Ole Miss.

Cam Akers needs to go to a school that knows how to develop offensive players. Ole Miss is not that.

KB21
12-05-2016, 01:40 PM
Tunsil has actually been very good. He moved to LG because Miami has Branden Albert at LT. When Albert has been out, Tunsil has played LT and played it well. Outside of that, I agree with you.

thf24
12-05-2016, 01:42 PM
Tunsil...same story. Got to the NFL and had to move from OT to OG.

When's the last time a guy was drafted in the first round to play LT and ends up at G? LT to RT is pretty common, but a first round pick and 12 mil on a guy that ends up at G... yikes.

Tunsil has actually been very good. He moved to LG because Miami has Branden Albert at LT. When Albert has been out, Tunsil has played LT and played it well. Outside of that, I agree with you.

As I said, you don't draft a guy in the first round and pay him that kind of money to play G. He may be doing well there, but Miami isn't getting what they intended out of him.

KB21
12-05-2016, 01:49 PM
When's the last time a guy was drafted in the first round to play LT and ends up at G? LT to RT is pretty common, but a first round pick and 12 mil on a guy that ends up at G... yikes.

As I said, you don't draft a guy in the first round and pay him that kind of money to play G. He may be doing well there, but Miami isn't getting what they intended out of him.

Maybe, but that is something that is standard practice in the NFL. Jonathan Ogden played LG as a rookie and is a HOF left tackle. Again, this isn't a situation where Tunsil has underwhelmed and was put at LG. Miami is simply getting their 5 best guys up front on the line. They have former All Pro LT Jermon Bushrod playing RG. Branden Albert has a big contract and is a veteran so he is at LT. Miami will probably release Albert in the off season to get some salary cap room and will move Tunsil to LT permanently.

justwin
12-05-2016, 02:02 PM
On Bounds this morning, Bo said that he is hearing that Akers wants to go to LSU but may end up at OM due to "pressure".

It got me thinking, would Akers committing to OM be the silliest commitment in Mississippi history?

- Chance to play on a good team? Maybe. Will have to be soon because that currently ranked 59th recruiting class with similar classes to follow will be bearing down on him.

- Lastly, as the Kang used to say, cheating in recruiting doesn't work if the kid doesn't go to the school he wants because when the going gets tough he'll make excuses. Whereas kids that attend schools they want to go hold themselves accountable and figure things out.

So, if Cam goes to OM, would any recruit in Mississippi history have less going for him?

What silly, awful decision that would be. Not to mention it may show up in the NCAA's radar

He's going to get immediate PT & $ & *****.

It's not that silly when you think about it from his perspective. Silly from ours, but probably not his. I doubt he cares about your list. I wouldn't if I were him just like Kimchee, Paidwell, and Tunsil didn't care. Those 3 saw a bowl game as opportunities to get wasted in hotels & party in a bigger city with free swag. When he plays a majority of snaps for 12 games as a freshman, what does playing in a bowl game matter? But you got to remember that Freeze plays into this and tells them what they want to hear in terms of immediate PT and game changer need, etc. All Freeze has to do is point to Kimchee's first college game where he ran the ball on a punt, etc to prove it.

I"m not arguing with you, but just pointing out the three items you didn't list with immediate PT (no competition) being the primary selling point for a recruit of his caliber.

Every year we hear about can't miss HS players that will only be in college for 3 years, that's what silly. Most posters (and local sports column writers) have no clue how difficult it is to make the NFL. No clue. The casual High school fan on Friday night standing along the chainlink fence quickly labels the best HS star on the field Friday night as an NFL player before he ever steps foot on a college campus and it's just a lack of football knowledge. All we ever heard was how good Nick Brassell was. Once he got on a level playing field, he proved to lack ball skills, elite speed, and, most importantly, work ethic despite being put in every possible scenario to excel from special teams, offense, defense. Also, Paidwell owes a personal thank you note to every OM bias sports writer who got him drafted so high by intentionally drowning out the facts that he was too slow. There's a reason Paidwell avoided the 40 yard dash & why he now blames everyone for his inability to separate, but he does need to come out and thank all of the Asschaps of the world for at least getting him paid. You could probably reverse it and say look at Tony Conner. Conner was SEC avg and then got hurt and he'll never play pro ball. Immediate PT can help alleviate the burden of potential career ending injuries. Had Conner not gotten hurt, he's probably (a big probably) a midround pick and he probably most resembles Akers in terms of physical stature and HS acclaim.

As for Akers, I only see a few highlights. He's good. I don't know about his work ethic, etc. I'm sure he's a good kid. He doesn't look taller than 6' to me and you just don't see many short guys in the NFL anymore unless they possess 4.3 40s which Akers may run.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 02:03 PM
And lets look at this: which program doesn't fit...

Ohio State University
LSU
Alabama
Michigan
Ole Miss

We have been saying this for years. They have cheated and evidently still are.

Mjoelner34
12-05-2016, 02:11 PM
We have been saying this for years. They have cheated and evidently still are.

The one constant through different ADs and different coaches has been the boosters. And, by the way, Rebel Rags was still advertising during their men's basketball game Saturday so whatever the 'sting' was that had them all riled up, it apparently didn't stop anything.

ETA:
From Saturday

dawgday166
12-05-2016, 02:20 PM

That might be overstating it just a tad bit Hack.

dawgday166
12-05-2016, 02:23 PM

I saw one of the NFL Gamedays reporting on this. The Dolphins like him a lot.

GreenheadDawg
12-05-2016, 02:25 PM
I saw one of the NFL Gamedays reporting on this. The Dolphins like him a lot.

Yeh and I'm sure it's not because of his freakish athletic ability. It's from the invaluable teaching he received from Luke and Freeze that made him NFL ready

GreenheadDawg
12-05-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm assuming Om is hard after this Kam White guy because he is big buddies with Akers. You know Freeze is all about the buddy deal

HSVDawg
12-05-2016, 02:33 PM

Of course they are still doing it. What do they have to lose at this point?

When you think about it, outside of the Tunsil stuff there was really nothing in the NOA about players or their families being paid. That ought to tell everyone that as much as the NCAA found, they still only uncovered maybe 1% of the actual recruiting violations. Nothing relating to Treadwell, Nkemdiche, AJ Brown, etc ever came out. The NCAA can certainly find enough evidence that would implicate its more likely than not that other players got paid, but there's nothing at this point to indicate they have hard evidence.

So, I would mostly expect those types of activities to continue for some of the top prospects, especially after the NCAA finally leaves town. It is going to have to continue if they even want to fill out a roster over the next 4 years or so. As it relates to Akers, he is a MS kid, so it doesn't draw nearly as much attention anyways if they land him. They are in all out "Mississippi home run" mode just like in 2010, make no mistake about it. They are going to spend every resource they have to make sure they lock up Akers and they are going to continue throwing the kitchen sink at Willie Gay as well. We'll see how it turns out,

Maroonbulldog
12-05-2016, 02:40 PM

Fwiw. Had a high school coach tell me this weekend that he wants a shot at QB, & he is listening close to those saying he can play QB ...

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 02:51 PM
As for Akers, I only see a few highlights. He's good. I don't know about his work ethic, etc.

FWIW I know someone who trained him. According to him, his work ethic is out of this world.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-05-2016, 03:04 PM
In that case OM can forget it. Their Sheavior is already there...

bulldog2488
12-05-2016, 03:09 PM
FWIW I know someone who trained him. According to him, his work ethic is out of this world.

This is true. So is the academic work ethic.

fishwater99
12-05-2016, 03:12 PM
He's going to get immediate PT & $ & *****.

It's not that silly when you think about it from his perspective. Silly from ours, but probably not his. I doubt he cares about your list. I wouldn't if I were him just like Kimchee, Paidwell, and Tunsil didn't care. Those 3 saw a bowl game as opportunities to get wasted in hotels & party in a bigger city with free swag. When he plays a majority of snaps for 12 games as a freshman, what does playing in a bowl game matter? But you got to remember that Freeze plays into this and tells them what they want to hear in terms of immediate PT and game changer need, etc. All Freeze has to do is point to Kimchee's first college game where he ran the ball on a punt, etc to prove it.

I"m not arguing with you, but just pointing out the three items you didn't list with immediate PT (no competition) being the primary selling point for a recruit of his caliber.

Every year we hear about can't miss HS players that will only be in college for 3 years, that's what silly. Most posters (and local sports column writers) have no clue how difficult it is to make the NFL. No clue. The casual High school fan on Friday night standing along the chainlink fence quickly labels the best HS star on the field Friday night as an NFL player before he ever steps foot on a college campus and it's just a lack of football knowledge. All we ever heard was how good Nick Brassell was. Once he got on a level playing field, he proved to lack ball skills, elite speed, and, most importantly, work ethic despite being put in every possible scenario to excel from special teams, offense, defense. Also, Paidwell owes a personal thank you note to every OM bias sports writer who got him drafted so high by intentionally drowning out the facts that he was too slow. There's a reason Paidwell avoided the 40 yard dash & why he now blames everyone for his inability to separate, but he does need to come out and thank all of the Asschaps of the world for at least getting him paid. You could probably reverse it and say look at Tony Conner. Conner was SEC avg and then got hurt and he'll never play pro ball. Immediate PT can help alleviate the burden of potential career ending injuries. Had Conner not gotten hurt, he's probably (a big probably) a midround pick and he probably most resembles Akers in terms of physical stature and HS acclaim.

As for Akers, I only see a few highlights. He's good. I don't know about his work ethic, etc. I'm sure he's a good kid. He doesn't look taller than 6' to me and you just don't see many short guys in the NFL anymore unless they possess 4.3 40s which Akers may run.

Akers is 5'10 and runs a 4.5...

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Rosebowl lays out an awesome case today on the Bonyard about how terrible OM and their staff is at developing RBs and producing 1,000 rushers.

Again, if Akers goes there, it would literally be one of the worst, dumbest, most pathetic decision in a long time in Mississippi recruiting.

Rosebowl also said that the NCAA did interviews in the Jackson metro area last week. NE Jackson folks.

This isn't close to done. The NCAA is going to gut every bit of that program.

BeastMan
12-05-2016, 03:17 PM

Besides missing time, you're right. He's missed time for slipping in the shower.

smootness
12-05-2016, 03:17 PM
He doesn't look taller than 6' to me and you just don't see many short guys in the NFL anymore unless they possess 4.3 40s which Akers may run.

...except at RB. You see them all over the league at RB.