PDA

View Full Version : OT:60 Minutes - Golden Triangle and MSU

Bass Chaser
12-04-2016, 08:24 PM
This was on tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-golden-triangle/

RocketDawg
12-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Is the Golden Triangle really one of the poorest regions in the country? How about virtually the entire state of West Virginia? Or some of the large northeastern inner cities?

Bully13
12-04-2016, 08:47 PM
This was on tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/the-golden-triangle/

Freaking awesome bass chaser. Not "ot " at all. This is gonna be HUGE

Harrydawg
12-04-2016, 08:48 PM
This was a great story......really big things happening in the Golden Triangle.

Rick Danko
12-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Very impressive, hope this spotlight doesn't get him poached.

Gutter Cobreh
12-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Awesome piece! While I don't live there any longer, it's great to see the development. Higgins is a rock star!

dawgs
12-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Is the Golden Triangle really one of the poorest regions in the country? How about virtually the entire state of West Virginia? Or some of the large northeastern inner cities?

NE inner cities are not poor at all.

But the golden triangle isn't that bad off. Within MS, the golden triangle is way way better off than the whole delta, and the proximity of msu means it's much better off than almost everywhere else in MS.

gravedigger
12-04-2016, 09:34 PM
I moved back 6 1/2 years ago after growing up here. The difference in 1989 when I left and now is nearly unrecognizable. It seemed for so long that we were doomed every time a plant shut down.

Now we seem to be growing at every turn. I am so proud of this area and it's people. The Golden Triangle might have a blue collar tint to it, but for me, that is just fine. I hope Higgins stays forever. Sounds like he has the right attitude.

Reason2succeed
12-04-2016, 09:53 PM
That's awesome and bodes well for Mississippi State Athletics down the road. Imagine an expanded airport and more accessibility. Imagine more urban amenities for the workforce that will also make us more competitive for recruits. Imagine more MSU grads staying in the area and pushing our attendance levels even higher. This makes me excited on many different levels.

BurgDawg
12-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Airport should be flying west to Dallas soon.

Turfdawg67
12-04-2016, 11:10 PM
King Jackie used to talk about how this area was going to grow and how that would affect MSU in a positive way.

TaleofTwoDogs
12-04-2016, 11:11 PM
That's awesome and bodes well for Mississippi State Athletics down the road. Imagine an expanded airport and more accessibility. Imagine more urban amenities for the workforce that will also make us more competitive for recruits. Imagine more MSU grads staying in the area and pushing our attendance levels even higher. This makes me excited on many different levels.

See your doctor if it last for more than 4 hours. **

Mutt the Hoople
12-05-2016, 07:15 AM
Or the Mississippi Delta.

Bully13
12-05-2016, 07:55 AM
See your doctor if it last for more than 4 hours. **

Lol. Iswydt

Dawgface
12-05-2016, 07:58 AM
I think I heard them say he makes $250k a year. He deserves more than that.

Bully13
12-05-2016, 08:23 AM
I think I heard them say he makes $250k a year. He deserves more than that.

Yep. Man needs to get paid.

Original48
12-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Need to get this guy some football recruiting credentials.

starkvegasdawg
12-05-2016, 08:54 AM
One thing Starkville better do is upgrading the road system and annexing some land to allow additional development off the Hwy 12 corridor. Right now Hwy 12 is a nightmare during rush hour. Traffic will be backed so badly at one light that cars at the light behind it can't go. I really wish they would take 12 to three lanes each direction instead of putting in center dividers to plant trees and landscape to make it look pretty. While I am all for improving the looks of the city they are planning on taking an already overused road and bottle necking traffic even more. My personal opinion is they need a another road that connects highway 82 and Highway 25 to the south. That would allow anybody on campus or the east end of town another way out of town without having to go down 12 or old 82 plus provide an area for future business expansion. Right now everybody is fighting for every scrap of land along 12 and Stark Rd and making traffic worse.

gravedigger
12-05-2016, 09:15 AM
One thing Starkville better do is upgrading the road system and annexing some land to allow additional development off the Hwy 12 corridor. Right now Hwy 12 is a nightmare during rush hour. Traffic will be backed so badly at one light that cars at the light behind it can't go. I really wish they would take 12 to three lanes each direction instead of putting in center dividers to plant trees and landscape to make it look pretty. While I am all for improving the looks of the city they are planning on taking an already overused road and bottle necking traffic even more. My personal opinion is they need a another road that connects highway 82 and Highway 25 to the south. That would allow anybody on campus or the east end of town another way out of town without having to go down 12 or old 82 plus provide an area for future business expansion. Right now everybody is fighting for every scrap of land along 12 and Stark Rd and making traffic worse.

There isnt a town in the United States that has the ability to avoid those kinds of traffic issues providing it triples in population 6-7 days a year out of 365.

I do think there is a new project going out from Vet school area southward.

starkvegasdawg
12-05-2016, 09:30 AM
There isnt a town in the United States that has the ability to avoid those kinds of traffic issues providing it triples in population 6-7 days a year out of 365.

I do think there is a new project going out from Vet school area southward.

I wish I was just talking about game days. I'm just talking about any ho hum Tuesday afternoon from 4:00-6:30. Glad to hear about that other project, though. Maybe that will help some.

Mjoelner34
12-05-2016, 09:36 AM
My personal opinion is they need a another road that connects highway 82 and Highway 25 to the south. That would allow anybody on campus or the east end of town another way out of town without having to go down 12 or old 82 plus provide an area for future business expansion. Right now everybody is fighting for every scrap of land along 12 and Stark Rd and making traffic worse.

Years ago when the current 25 bypass was built there were two camps. One wanted it west of town to grow the industrial park (that place is booming isn't it**), the other wanted it east of town to feed MSU. I don't remember where the bypass was going to cross Blackjack and hit 82 east of town but I know that Poorhouse road was going to be the bypass.

I had hoped when the 82/25 bypass was built that frontage roads would also be constructed along the 82 part to encourage businesses to move to the bypass. It was obvious when they built the thing that it wasn't transient 25/82 traffic that was causing traffic snarls in Starkville therefore, the bypass has done nothing to alliveiate those problems.

starkvegasdawg
12-05-2016, 09:38 AM
For those that don't live here and may not know, here is what they are planning to do to Hwy 12 in Starkville. Again, I am all for anything that improves the aesthetics of our city, but I don't think anything needs to be done which makes traffic worse. And I think this will make traffic worse. If I am wrong then I will be the first to admit it, but I just can't see how these turn lane dividers will do anything but disrupt traffic flow. As it see it in this picture. If that was taken out my windshield and I was wanting to turn into Giggleswick, I would have to go down past it and turn around and then come back.

http://www.starkville.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Hwy-12-Thoroughfare_0003_03.jpg

Barking 13
12-05-2016, 10:37 AM
I like Joe Max, but there were no mentions about nightmares like Kior, and other plant closures in the area after he took over.. At least he is trying to move it in the right direction.

Columbus has become a cesspool, and that's pretty hard to sell.

12-05-2016, 11:39 AM
For those that don't live here and may not know, here is what they are planning to do to Hwy 12 in Starkville. Again, I am all for anything that improves the aesthetics of our city, but I don't think anything needs to be done which makes traffic worse. And I think this will make traffic worse. If I am wrong then I will be the first to admit it, but I just can't see how these turn lane dividers will do anything but disrupt traffic flow. As it see it in this picture. If that was taken out my windshield and I was wanting to turn into Giggleswick, I would have to go down past it and turn around and then come back.

http://www.starkville.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Hwy-12-Thoroughfare_0003_03.jpg

Correct. You would go to the light, wait for the left turn arrow, and make a u-turn. They are called pedestrian refuge islands.
http://nacto.org/publication/urban-street-design-guide/intersection-design-elements/crosswalks-and-crossings/pedestrian-safety-islands/

Bothrops
12-05-2016, 12:47 PM
Airport should be flying west to Dallas soon.

Or Houston - IAH

SheltonChoked
12-05-2016, 02:18 PM

This is a half measure. They did away with the center lane in Houston a few years ago on some major roads (Westheimer, and 1960). After the Construction SNAFU, and re-timing the lights, it really improved traffic flow. Having a dedicated turn lane help the psychological barrier to traffic speed (not worried about constant head on collisions). It made getting to a few places a little harder, but it was worth it to be able to drive the speed limit and have limited stops, almost any time of day.