PDA

View Full Version : I really wish some MSU fans could understand a simple concept

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Listening to Head to Head, and an MSU caller just called in pissed about Mullen saying that Dak would be running the same offense as Tyler. The guy was literally upset about it.

Newsflash, the offense that Chris Relf ran and the offense that Tyler runs are the same playbook. However, depending on who the QB is, determines which plays are called and how often those plays are called.

Tyler and Dak will run the same offense, but something tells me a few more zone read plays will be called this weekend, and the defense will respond to those zone read plays a little differently because Dak is running them instead of Tyler.

Why is this so difficult to understand? Our fan base's football IQ needs to get a little higher before you start calling into radio shows and showing your ignorance.

Coach 57
09-04-2013, 04:18 PM
This is one of my biggest things I struggle with too.

quickstrike2
09-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Completely agree, I dont see why this is so hard to comprehend.

EAVdog
09-04-2013, 04:23 PM
We do have some of the worst fans in College Football.

Goat Holder
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Agreed but the whole thing is predicated on using the QB as a threat in the run game. Maybe we need to be calling some of those same plays for Russell, that we did with Relf. I don't think Russell is just a T-terrible runner or anything. Tyson Lee did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-mbAKWmd0

Russell seems as fast as that Walsh dude.

WinningIsRelentless
09-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Agreed but the whole thing is predicated on using the QB as a threat in the run game. Maybe we need to be calling some of those same plays for Russell, that we did with Relf. I don't think Russell is just a T-terrible runner or anything. Tyson Lee did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub-mbAKWmd0

Russell seems as fast as that Walsh dude.

I've been saying this since Sunday. Tyler could be successful in this office he just needs to run the ball 6 to 10 times a game. When he does this it keeps the defense honest on the run game and will actually open up more passing lanes. Tyler is to damn worried about his completion percentage and staying health.

Goat Holder
09-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Yeah, if it's a play calling problem there, fix it. If it's a 'Tyler doesn't want to do it' problem, he needs to be benched. I have no clue which one it is.

ckDOG
09-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Semantics. Whether it's the "same offense" or not doesn't matter. Tyler doesn't get respected as a threat for anything down field. We get defenders closer to the LOS and it becomes even tougher to run the ball. Even if Dak doesn't command a passing respect down field, at least the running game will have a few extra wrinkles in it due to him being an athlete and one extra man the D has to account for. Maybe that in and of itself helps us get more space to make plays.

Percho
09-04-2013, 05:54 PM
TR is reluctant to keep the ball on the reads. We kicked the FG held them to 3 and out and he should have kept the ball twice when we got the ball back, yet he did not. I was screaming at the TV for him to keep the ball. No one was taking him.

PendingTransaction
09-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Tyler was recruited with the understanding that he had aspiration to play QB in the NFL. Mullen knew what he was getting when he signed him. He knew that Tyler was not a dual threat QB. If he didn't have a plan to use the skills that Tyler had, he should have let him go elsewhere. But he wanted the star ranking that Tyler bought to his 1st signing class.

The reality is that this Mullen offense does not work with a QB, only a athlete/running back. You know the kind that wouldn't be considered a QB 20 years ago. I understand that the game is changing and the dual threat QB is being implemented in many offenses. Hell, even the NFL is starting to see the advantage. However, there are still offenses that flourish with a traditional QB (see Alabama and the Broncos). I don't blame Tyler for not going outside of his skill-set and getting killed. That's not what he's built to be and not what he signed up to do. I do respect Mullen for not throwing the kid under the bus, even at the cost of a possible lost this season.

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I do respect Mullen for not throwing the kid under the bus, even at the cost of a possible lost this season.[/QUOTE]

This is a concept that I am unable to comprehend. How is replacing Tyler as the QB associated with throwing him under the bus? If anything, it would be Mullen throwing himself under the bus and admitting that he lacks the brain power or commitment to designing an offense that Tyler could be successful in.

However, if he doesn't make a change, isn't that the same as throwing every other the player on the team under the bus due to not giving them the best chance to win?

If the team had a vote, and the question was: Would you rather have Tyler as your QB or have a better chance to win? Which way do you think most players would vote?

I wouldn't respect Mullen at all, for not making a decision that was in the best interest of the team.

PendingTransaction
09-04-2013, 07:03 PM
This is a concept that I am unable to comprehend. How is replacing Tyler as the QB associated with throwing him under the bus? If anything, it would be Mullen throwing himself under the bus and admitting that he lacks the brain power or commitment to designing an offense that Tyler could be successful in.

However, if he doesn't make a change, isn't that the same as throwing every other the player on the team under the bus due to not giving them the best chance to win?

If the team had a vote, and the question was: Would you rather have Tyler as your QB or have a better chance to win? Which way do you think most players would vote?

I wouldn't respect Mullen at all, for not making a decision that was in the best interest of the team.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure that questioning the team with Tyler (lose games) or better chance to win (I assume you mean Dak as QB) would serve the team well. The team knows that Tyler has worked hard and did what he has been asked to do. I think that it would tell the team that they have a coach who has groomed a QB for 5 years, then decides that he does not know how to use him. The advantages that Dak brings could easily be countered by loss of team chemistry.

The Croom Diaries
09-04-2013, 07:52 PM
I have not heard anyone struggling with this concept. Although I've spent the last 4 days in a bunker having conversations with myself about this offense.

RougeDawg
09-05-2013, 12:00 AM
There were multiple plays Saturday when TR could have tucked the ball and picket up 8-15 yards easy. Especially on those 3 man rushes. There was a ton of open space on a lot of those plays, yet he stood there like the "Statue Of David", waited for the perfect pass to open up and then would take a sack.