PDA

View Full Version : Defense next season

msstate7
12-04-2016, 10:21 AM
Let's say we hold our current commits and add landrews, rivers, gay, and Avery... where do these pieces fit? What do you think our 2-deep looks like game 1 in '17?

Todd4State
12-04-2016, 10:37 AM
DE- Rivers/ maybe Adams
NT- Simmons/Autry
DE- Maybe Pope or Cory Thomas
Viper- Sweat

LB- Green
LB- Leo
LB- Jung/Gray

CB- Peters/Graham
CB- Giles/Durr
S- McLaurin
S- Bryant

I'm sure Thompson and Gay will fit in at LB. I would like to see us move Green to DE but no idea if that happens or not. Maybe they will look at it during bowl prep.

Maroons
12-04-2016, 10:52 AM
DE- Rivers/ maybe Adams
NT- Simmons/Autry
DE- Maybe Pope or Cory Thomas
Viper- Sweat

LB- Green
LB- Leo
LB- Jung/Gray

CB- Peters/Graham
CB- Giles/Durr
S- McLaurin
S- Bryant

I'm sure Thompson and Gay will fit in at LB. I would like to see us move Green to DE but no idea if that happens or not. Maybe they will look at it during bowl prep.

Cleveland should start at CB if he returns healthy.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-04-2016, 12:14 PM
In just my opinion only, it doesn't matter what slots we need to fill. I simply don't think the scheme is the right path. When the secondary is young, banged up, or whatever. It doesn't help running 3 down linemen. State has to get pressure on the qb to be successful. I've been a state fan 30 yrs and that was the one thing most defenses over the yrs were able to do. There is no doubt the offense is light years ahead since Mullen arrived but the defense is toast right now.

Thick
12-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Rosie says Stamps is one of the best if not the best CB on the team.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Paul jones says dantzler. Hopefully between the 2, 1 will be a big time CB

GTHOM
12-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Stamps, Dantzler, and Morgan Walker will make our secondary better by a ton. We should be better next year defensively, our biggest problem this year was that we didnt know what the hell we were doing. Our kids didnt know whether to shit or go blind

bulldawg28
12-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Hopefully juco corners are playing in the 2 deep next year

MarketingBully
12-04-2016, 12:55 PM
On paper, it's a very talented defense. I hope next year though that at worst it's average. Our offense will be rolling with our run game. I think we challenge for a NY6 bowl next year with an average defense.

lamont
12-04-2016, 12:58 PM
On paper, it's a very talented defense. I hope next year though that at worst it's average. Our offense will be rolling with our run game. I think we challenge for a NY6 bowl next year with an average defense.

we have to replace 3 starters on the OL including our Center as well as our best WR. We will be mediocre on offense to start the season.

lamont
12-04-2016, 01:03 PM
We will lose to Bama and LSU at home- then we have away games @Auburn, @A&M, @Georgia, and @UPig

We will be the underdog in all 4 of those games.

Kentucky returns alot of guys and BYU wont be easy to beat either.

We arent challenging for any type of big bowl next year

Bass Chaser
12-04-2016, 01:03 PM
we have to replace 3 starters on the OL including our Center as well as our best WR. We will be mediocre on offense to start the season.

I don't think many realize this.

Ari Gold
12-04-2016, 01:16 PM

He is wrong.

Ari Gold
12-04-2016, 01:17 PM

He is corect with Dantzler .

Todd4State
12-04-2016, 01:37 PM
Cleveland should start at CB if he returns healthy.

I honestly don't see how. We don't know how he is going to look coming off of an injury and he wasn't that great to start with.

dawgday166
12-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I don't think many realize this.

They choose to ignore ... all they see are Fitz and AW. Much like this year all everyone saw at OM was Kelly and the WR corps.

Todd4State
12-04-2016, 01:39 PM
They choose to ignore ... all they see are Fitz and AW. Much like this year all everyone saw at OM was Kelly and the WR corps.

I think we can be pretty good IF we fix the defense. That's the huge question mark to me. If that doesn't happen we're probably 6-6 or so and probably looking for a new DC if Sirmon stays.

dawgday166
12-04-2016, 01:47 PM
I think we can be pretty good IF we fix the defense. That's the huge question mark to me. If that doesn't happen we're probably 6-6 or so and probably looking for a new DC if Sirmon stays.

We'll see. I hope you're right. I'm going into next season with my expectations tempered much more than they were the last 2 seasons. I'm somewhat hopeful.

Looking at our schedule I'd say we should win 6 regardless. Have BYU and KY mid-year in Vegas (hopefully have ironed out any kinks by then).

Thick
12-04-2016, 01:56 PM

He might have said Dantzler instead of Stamps, now that you mentioned it.

Sacrifice
12-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I think we have talent on D, I'm wondering if Sirmon can teach his system well enough where our players can react and play fast instead of making so many mental mistakes.
Another year in the same system should help but we should've picked his system up before the Arkansas game.

Todd4State
12-04-2016, 02:03 PM
We'll see. I hope you're right. I'm going into next season with my expectations tempered much more than they were the last 2 seasons. I'm somewhat hopeful.

Looking at our schedule I'd say we should win 6 regardless. Have BYU and KY mid-year in Vegas (hopefully have ironed out any kinks by then).

That's pretty much where I am. Too many unknowns on defense to make me confident about anything. At least Sweat and Rivers have some D-1 experience so this may help with their transition some.

Thick
12-04-2016, 02:03 PM
He is wrong.

I misspoke, Rosie said Dantzler

Thick
12-04-2016, 02:05 PM
The real challenge is what was mentioned above....replacing 3 OL including the center.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2016, 02:40 PM
The real challenge is what was mentioned above....replacing 3 OL including the center.

We need to use these bowl practices to get Calhoun ready to play center. And I would like to see him get some game reps. That could really help him heading into the spring.

Then at RG it will be a battle among Champion, Reese, and Story. Whoever wins that battle, should be pretty good. So really, it comes down to RT and that's why Hayes is a big target for Dec. 14th. I'm sure Hev is thinking about moving Jenkins back to RT, but I hate to see that happen.

Thick
12-04-2016, 02:51 PM
I think we can all agree that Jenkins needs to stay at LG. He moves people, and the big fella can pick'em up and put'em down in open field. I really like his mobility a lot!

lamont
12-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Yeah- would love to keep that left side together. It's finally a strength for us

Tbonewannabe
12-04-2016, 03:50 PM
I think we can all agree that Jenkins needs to stay at LG. He moves people, and the big fella can pick'em up and put'em down in open field. I really like his mobility a lot!

Jenkins seems to be a good Guard but mediocre Tackle. I guess it depends how bad we are at tackle.

bulldawg28
12-04-2016, 04:59 PM
We will lose to Bama and LSU at home- then we have away games @Auburn, @A&M, @Georgia, and @UPig

We will be the underdog in all 4 of those games.

Kentucky returns alot of guys and BYU wont be easy to beat either.

We arent challenging for any type of big bowl next year

It's too early. All of the underdog teams will need to improve to beat us as well. Georgia is two years away from being dominant, Kentucky is Kentucky, A&M is terrible and lose a lot, UPig is nothing dominant, and BYU will be terrible without their 8 year Qb. A 8-9 win team is accessible