PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MiamiHawkTalk

yanksalex
12-04-2016, 03:08 AM
Hey MSU fans. It looks like we are going to get pretty well acquainted over the next 3 weeks. I thought I'd pop over here and give you a sense of what to expect on December 26 in St. Pete, if the rumors hold true.

First, you can imagine that Miami fans are pretty excited to play a school as name brand as Miss St. If you'd care to jaunt over to our neck of the woods, point your browser to http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/. Our new message board is in beta, and is not easily accessible through the MHT homepage so it is best to use the link I provided.

I imagine as an SEC program that has been a powerhouse in recent years, the notion of playing a 6-6 MAC school on the day after Christmas isn't wholly appealing. In any event, here is so information to help you size up your opponent:

- We started this season 0-6, including a collapse vs. an FCS opponent that left me with a broken desk chair and a girlfriend so peeved about my attitude during our date night that she angrily tweeted at our head coach and vowed to never watch another Miami game since then. Luckily, I have a new chair and repaired relationship since.

- In 2015 we played 3 QBs: Senior Drew Kummer, RS frosh Gus Ragland, and TF Billy Bahl; Kummer was a holdover from really bad teams and recruiting classes, Ragland was the first recruit of our head coach, Chuck Martin, when he took the job in late 2013, known for little more than his legs, and Bahl was one of the most prized recruits in Miami history, choosing us over offers from many P5 schools, including Penn State. About 5 games into last season, with all 3 QBs having seen playing time but Kummer getting the majority of reps, the reins were almost entirely handed to Bahl with Ragland getting some change of pace snaps here and there. Bahl struggled mightily but showed flashes of brilliance with his arm. By the time we beat UMass in the season finale, optimism was sky high for this season. This will get relevant by the next bullet point, I swear.

- In 2016 spring practice, Ragland tore his ACL so, to the extent there was any QB competition to be had, the job was firmly Billy's. We opened the season at Iowa and, if any of you have some hours to kill and care to watch the video, you'll note that we played them much, much closer than the final score and Billy Bahl was outstanding. I left Kinnick Stadium hearing nothing but comments from Iowa fans about how set we were for the next 3 years with Bahl. Then we lost the worst game of all time to Eastern Illinois. Then we lost to WKU in a game probably more lopsided than the score indicates. Then we lost to Cincinnati by a razor thin margin for the third year in a row and 11th time in a row overall; imagine losing to Ole Miss 11 times in a row. Then Bahl got hurt in our loss to another rival, Ohio, and morale was at an all time low -- it was really ugly over on ole MHT as we sat at 0-5. We had to burn the redshirt of a true freshman to fill in vs. Ohio and then start vs. Akron and suddenly, after a really promising opener @ Iowa, we were sitting at 0-6 and our star QB was hurt. Now it gets really relevant.

- Our 7th game was vs. Kent State. This has been a game of critical importance for Miami fans the last 3 years; Kent's OC is Don Treadwell, the subhuman embarrassment to the gene pool who tanked our program in the 2.5 years he was in charge, doing everything from eliminating our weight lifting program to hiring a guy that had lost 50 straight games as a D3 head coach to be our OC. The week of the game it was announced, as a mild surprise, that Gus Ragland had recovered enough from his torn ACL to start. Ragland was shaky as hell but we won, probably thanks to the waste of oxygen that is their OC. Then we beat a really bad Bowling Green team and Ragland was outstanding. We started looking better and better each week and suddenly had reeled off 6 in a row.

- Ragland, who as a RS Frosh played only 86 snaps and was only allowed to throw 29 times, has this season completed 93 of 149 passes and thrown 15 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. The only 6 games he has ever started at the collegiate level are the six games we've won to get here. It has been every bit as miraculous and improbable as it sounds.

- If you're looking for another position to watch, I'd say our WRs can match up with many P5 schools even though arguably our best WR, Chris Hudson, suffered a potentially career-ending injury vs. Eastern Illinois. For much of the season, our best WR has been sophomore James Gardner who you may have seen on Sportscenter doing this: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/college-football-miami-one-handed-catch-james-gardner-wow-video

- Our head coach is Chuck Martin, who took over for that maggot Don Treadwell in 2014. Martin was the OC at Notre Dame (and, in fact, took a 200K/year haircut in order to become a head coach) and won several D2 national titles at Grand Valley State. He's as brutally honest as any coach you'll ever hear in interviews and press conferences so, to the extent you care, I encourage you to follow his press clippings over the next 3 weeks. I've never heard a head coach forego coachspeak with such reckless abandon. Martin came to Miami with a ton of fanfare given his success at D2 and his pedigree in the FBS but things were awfully shaky 7 weeks ago and it was assumed his seat would be scalding in 2017. Now, Martin is safe and when put in the proper context (that is, that the 2013 Miami team Martin inherited was, statistically, one of the worst FBS teams in the history of college football), it is quite amazing that he put together a winning streak like this so quickly.

- We have quite a history of turning coaches into superstars, or at least setting them on their way. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

- We also have a history of beating schools most people would think we shouldn't. See here: http://www.coachchuckmartin.com/redhawks-football/tomahawk-victories.php

- Miami is a cautionary tale in what having a bad AD will do to you. Our former AD, Brad Bates, hired Don Treadwell and our current basketball coach, John Cooper, who has won 13 games in 3 straight seasons after taking over for the winningest hoops coach in MAC history. For some reason, Boston College took Bates off our hands, and it was there he hired the football and men's basketball coaches there that combined for exactly 0 total ACC wins in 2015-2016.

- The school is located in Oxford, Ohio and if there is one thing I'm sure we'll all agree on: Oxford, OH is wayyyyyyy better than Oxford, MS.

Forgive any typos in the above as it is late here, but I was excited to start this conversation. Hopefully the rumors are right and I won't have to copy and paste this on another school's message board. We are all pumped up to play an SEC school and, frankly, as a NY resident the idea of spending Christmas in Florida ain't so bad. Good luck to you guys and enjoy bowl season. Look forward to chatting with you throughout.

Alex

Offshore Dawg
12-04-2016, 03:55 AM
Damn Dude that is like a life history lesson, Do not be thinned skinned for you will receive some abuse !! and thanks for stopping by.

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Damn Dude that is like a life history lesson, Do not be thinned skinned for you will receive some abuse !! and thanks for stopping by.

I had to stop and pee twice reading that.

STATEBALLIN
12-04-2016, 06:51 AM
I must admit, I did read the whole post. Bravo.

As far as State is concerned, we're happy to get the extra practice time for our younger players. How inspired they will be to play in this bowl we'll have to wait and see.

TNDawg35
12-04-2016, 07:07 AM
Holy shiz nit.... You know, you wrote that better than anything the CL has ever written...

Dawg61
12-04-2016, 07:58 AM
My brother got his undergrad degree at Miami and I got very drunk at some goldfish eating party when I came to visit him (i did not eat a fish). Fun times. Do they still hold the annual goldfish eating keg parties?

http://sites.psu.edu/khallmusic/wp-content/uploads/sites/5732/2014/02/Goldfish-swallow.jpg

RocketDawg
12-04-2016, 08:20 AM
Welcome aboard for the next couple of weeks Alex. I suspect most of us will learn more about Miami of Ohio before the game than we've known our entire lives. And you will probably learn more about us. Our team has improved through the year, for the most part, and actually won a couple of games of the brutal November schedule that no one thought we'd win. Should be a fun game.

Apoplectic
12-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Hey MSU fans. It looks like we are going to get pretty well acquainted over the next 3 weeks. I thought I'd pop over here and give you a sense of what to expect on December 26 in St. Pete, if the rumors hold true.

First, you can imagine that Miami fans are pretty excited to play a school as name brand as Miss St. If you'd care to jaunt over to our neck of the woods, point your browser to http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/. Our new message board is in beta, and is not easily accessible through the MHT homepage so it is best to use the link I provided.

I imagine as an SEC program that has been a powerhouse in recent years, the notion of playing a 6-6 MAC school on the day after Christmas isn't wholly appealing. In any event, here is so information to help you size up your opponent:

- We started this season 0-6, including a collapse vs. an FCS opponent that left me with a broken desk chair and a girlfriend so peeved about my attitude during our date night that she angrily tweeted at our head coach and vowed to never watch another Miami game since then. Luckily, I have a new chair and repaired relationship since.

- In 2015 we played 3 QBs: Senior Drew Kummer, RS frosh Gus Ragland, and TF Billy Bahl; Kummer was a holdover from really bad teams and recruiting classes, Ragland was the first recruit of our head coach, Chuck Martin, when he took the job in late 2013, known for little more than his legs, and Bahl was one of the most prized recruits in Miami history, choosing us over offers from many P5 schools, including Penn State. About 5 games into last season, with all 3 QBs having seen playing time but Kummer getting the majority of reps, the reins were almost entirely handed to Bahl with Ragland getting some change of pace snaps here and there. Bahl struggled mightily but showed flashes of brilliance with his arm. By the time we beat UMass in the season finale, optimism was sky high for this season. This will get relevant by the next bullet point, I swear.

- In 2016 spring practice, Ragland tore his ACL so, to the extent there was any QB competition to be had, the job was firmly Billy's. We opened the season at Iowa and, if any of you have some hours to kill and care to watch the video, you'll note that we played them much, much closer than the final score and Billy Bahl was outstanding. I left Kinnick Stadium hearing nothing but comments from Iowa fans about how set we were for the next 3 years with Bahl. Then we lost the worst game of all time to Eastern Illinois. Then we lost to WKU in a game probably more lopsided than the score indicates. Then we lost to Cincinnati by a razor thin margin for the third year in a row and 11th time in a row overall; imagine losing to Ole Miss 11 times in a row. Then Bahl got hurt in our loss to another rival, Ohio, and morale was at an all time low -- it was really ugly over on ole MHT as we sat at 0-5. We had to burn the redshirt of a true freshman to fill in vs. Ohio and then start vs. Akron and suddenly, after a really promising opener @ Iowa, we were sitting at 0-6 and our star QB was hurt. Now it gets really relevant.

- Our 7th game was vs. Kent State. This has been a game of critical importance for Miami fans the last 3 years; Kent's OC is Don Treadwell, the subhuman embarrassment to the gene pool who tanked our program in the 2.5 years he was in charge, doing everything from eliminating our weight lifting program to hiring a guy that had lost 50 straight games as a D3 head coach to be our OC. The week of the game it was announced, as a mild surprise, that Gus Ragland had recovered enough from his torn ACL to start. Ragland was shaky as hell but we won, probably thanks to the waste of oxygen that is their OC. Then we beat a really bad Bowling Green team and Ragland was outstanding. We started looking better and better each week and suddenly had reeled off 6 in a row.

- Ragland, who as a RS Frosh played only 86 snaps and was only allowed to throw 29 times, has this season completed 93 of 149 passes and thrown 15 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. The only 6 games he has ever started at the collegiate level are the six games we've won to get here. It has been every bit as miraculous and improbable as it sounds.

- If you're looking for another position to watch, I'd say our WRs can match up with many P5 schools even though arguably our best WR, Chris Hudson, suffered a potentially career-ending injury vs. Eastern Illinois. For much of the season, our best WR has been sophomore James Gardner who you may have seen on Sportscenter doing this: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/10/college-football-miami-one-handed-catch-james-gardner-wow-video

- Our head coach is Chuck Martin, who took over for that maggot Don Treadwell in 2014. Martin was the OC at Notre Dame (and, in fact, took a 200K/year haircut in order to become a head coach) and won several D2 national titles at Grand Valley State. He's as brutally honest as any coach you'll ever hear in interviews and press conferences so, to the extent you care, I encourage you to follow his press clippings over the next 3 weeks. I've never heard a head coach forego coachspeak with such reckless abandon. Martin came to Miami with a ton of fanfare given his success at D2 and his pedigree in the FBS but things were awfully shaky 7 weeks ago and it was assumed his seat would be scalding in 2017. Now, Martin is safe and when put in the proper context (that is, that the 2013 Miami team Martin inherited was, statistically, one of the worst FBS teams in the history of college football), it is quite amazing that he put together a winning streak like this so quickly.

- We have quite a history of turning coaches into superstars, or at least setting them on their way. See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

- We also have a history of beating schools most people would think we shouldn't. See here: http://www.coachchuckmartin.com/redhawks-football/tomahawk-victories.php

- Miami is a cautionary tale in what having a bad AD will do to you. Our former AD, Brad Bates, hired Don Treadwell and our current basketball coach, John Cooper, who has won 13 games in 3 straight seasons after taking over for the winningest hoops coach in MAC history. For some reason, Boston College took Bates off our hands, and it was there he hired the football and men's basketball coaches there that combined for exactly 0 total ACC wins in 2015-2016.

- The school is located in Oxford, Ohio and if there is one thing I'm sure we'll all agree on: Oxford, OH is wayyyyyyy better than Oxford, MS.

Forgive any typos in the above as it is late here, but I was excited to start this conversation. Hopefully the rumors are right and I won't have to copy and paste this on another school's message board. We are all pumped up to play an SEC school and, frankly, as a NY resident the idea of spending Christmas in Florida ain't so bad. Good luck to you guys and enjoy bowl season. Look forward to chatting with you throughout.

Alex

I like this guy....and his girlfriend

klong-dog
12-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Appreciate the recent history lesson of your program Alex. A couple of quick things on us. We have become a finesse team, at least on the defensive side of the ball. You will score well into the 20's if not 30's, but will it be enough, will be the question. My prediction, Fitz throws for 300 & rushes for another 150. State 49-31.

RC3
12-04-2016, 08:35 AM
All I really know about your school is Roethlisberger. And we struggled in a lot of games this year. Two questions- how's your passing attack? And how is your defense against the run? If you can effectively stop our running attack and couple that with the ability to expose our weaknesses in the defensive secondary, you guys could easily beat us.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 08:40 AM
Battle of the schools with arguably the best NFL rookie qb's ever

klong-dog
12-04-2016, 08:44 AM
True true true. The only other player I can think of from Miami, OH is in basketball. Wally Zerbiak?

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2016, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the overview. Quick summary of our team:

QB is a big slow footed white guy with precision accuracy. You might also see the fleet of foot Dam Williams in to run the wildcat.

RB is the small but powerful Brandon Holloway. Back up is Aries Fitzgereld.

WR is a solid group led by school leader in receptions and yards, Gabe Myles. We have a lot of bigger receivers in the slot to create mismatches.

The OL is much better at pass blocking than run blocking. Look out for former Tight End Elgin Bailey, he's now playing guard and is a nightmare for Lb's when he pulls. Let's just say he pulls no punches.

Our defense is pretty dominate. A little 3-4, a little 4-3, a little 5-1-5 as well with a couple "DOG" safeties. New DC Peter Sirmones had been a difference maker.

Our D line is extremely physical, except for Jeffrey Simmons who is a huge p*ssy. AJ Jefferson looks like a 16 year old kid, but he's a full grown man at 6-6 320.

At linebacker we are led by Richie Brown, JT Gray and Tim Washington. They are truly sideline to sideline and never miss tackles. Excellent in coverage.

The secondary is the strength of the whole team. Our guys clearly spend all their free time in the film room and/or their natural instincts are just off the charts. Look out for Chris Rayford here...if he's matched up against your best receiver, just consider that guy locked down for the night. CB Tolando Cleveland will lock down the other spot as well.

As for kicking, let's just say our guy is automatic inside the 40. They call him the Dan Bailey of Mississippi.

I'm sure you guys will have a great home field advantage since your fans won't have to drive that far from Miami to St Pete. That's what, about 150 miles? I always admired Richt when he was at UGA.

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

msstate7
12-04-2016, 08:46 AM
True true true. The only other player I can think of from Miami, OH is in basketball. Wally Zerbiak?

Yeah, pretty sure you butchered his name. I have no idea how to correct you though haha

klong-dog
12-04-2016, 08:50 AM

QB is a big slow footed white guy with precision accuracy. You might also see the fleet of foot Dam Williams in to run the wildcat.

WR is a solid group led by school leader in receptions and yards, Gabe Myles. We have a lot of bigger receivers in the slot to create mismatches.

The OL is much better at pass blocking than run blocking. Look out for former Tight End Elgin Bailey, he's now playing guard and is a nightmare for Lb's when he pulls. Let's just say he pulls no punches.

Our defense is pretty dominate. A little 3-4, a little 4-3, a little 5-1-5 as well with a couple "DOG" safeties. New DC Peter Sirmones had been a difference maker.

Our D line is extremely physical, except for Jeffrey Simmons who is a huge p*ssy. AJ Jefferson looks like a 16 year old kid, but he's a full grown man at 6-6 320.

At linebacker we are led by Richie Brown, JT Gray and Tim Washington. They are truly sideline to sideline and never miss tackles. Excellent in coverage.

The secondary is the strength of the whole team. Our guys clearly spend all their free time in the film room and/or their natural instincts are just off the charts. Look out for Chris Rayford here...if he's matched up against your best receiver, just consider that guy locked down for the night. CB Tolando Cleveland will lock down the other spot as well.

As for kicking, let's just say our guy is automatic inside the 40. They call him the Dan Bailey of Mississippi.

I'm sure you guys will have a great home field advantage since your fans won't have to drive that far from Miami to St Pete. That's what, about 150 miles? I always admired Richt when he was at UGA.

Cheers,
Brian Hadad
Nice, lol.

Thick
12-04-2016, 09:06 AM
I had to stop and pee twice reading that.

LMAO!

Jack Lambert
12-04-2016, 09:08 AM
We are not dick heads so don't take anything personal here. You will get poked at a little. The Dick heads are over on Nafooms.

msudawg1200
12-04-2016, 09:11 AM

Alex

Good job. I'm a huge college football fan and keep up with most teams. A couple things about your school: I remember in 1986 when y'all came to Death Valley and beat the eventual SEC Champion Tigers 21-12, and do you remember a RB for y'all in the mid to late 2000's named Cory Jones? He played at Florence High here in MS under his dad, Steve Jones, who is a well known MS High School coach. Cory was one of the fastest white guys I've ever seen. One more thing, I've always loved y'all's white helmets with big Red M. I also hated, but I understand it I guess, when y'all changed from Redskins to Redhawks. Good finish for your team after an 0-6 start.

blacklistedbully
12-04-2016, 09:47 AM
We are not dick heads so don't take anything personal here. You will get poked at a little. The Dick heads are over on Nafooms.

Well...a couple of us are.

Todd4State
12-04-2016, 09:50 AM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

This cracked me up.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Alex

Welcome, and thanks for the information. Awesome finish after an 0-6 start.

If there's anything you should know, it's that our run game is stout....pass game is average....and our secondary is no bueno. Our defense struggled mightily this year, despite being our most talented side of the ball. We don't pressure the QB all that well, and we don't cover very well, but we complement that with poor tackling. You guys could very easily beat us (we've already lost to South Alabama), and we all know that it could be a shoot out. I don't expect you guys to shut our offense down, but that goes for us against yours too...so it could be a high scoring game where the first defense to make a few stops wins it.

Keep the conversation going, invite friends over, and we look forward to it.

Thanks

CadaverDawg
12-04-2016, 10:07 AM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

http://rs1096.pbsrc.com/albums/g330/coloradogirl86/Clapping/tumblr_m6odkq8jNo1qbolbn_zps4103fd0c.gif~c200

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Holy hell. Just saw the town they're from is Oxford. They shall now be known as TSFUN. The school further up north.

Dawgbite
12-04-2016, 10:22 AM
Has anybody checked this guy out? With that soliloquy it could be Bruiser in Hawk feathers!

preachermatt83
12-04-2016, 10:36 AM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

Outstanding!!

BulldogBacker
12-04-2016, 11:28 AM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

Well done you old fart! You have not lost your sense of humor!

Political Hack
12-04-2016, 11:29 AM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

+1

yanksalex
12-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Holy hell. Just saw the town they're from is Oxford. They shall now be known as TSFUN. The school further up north.

We also know the difference between further and farther.

RocketDawg
12-04-2016, 11:35 AM
We also know the difference between further and farther.

I see you have furthered your education and keep getting farther and farther away. ;)

You guys are still wont to say "I seen it" and stand "on line" though ....

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-04-2016, 11:44 AM
And to just add more info about our team. We tend to leave every half with 3 timeouts so if spares were allowed for a team,then they would be available

RiverCityDawg
12-04-2016, 12:12 PM
You're maybe thinking of RocketCityDawg, but thanks anyway.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Been up to the Miami, Ohio campus a couple of times with work. Talk about a "Beautiful Campus", the one in Oxford, MS ain't got chit on the one in Oxford, OH. Was surprised at how many good looking co-eds they had up there too a lot of blondes from what I remember. Nice little football stadium that sort of sits down behind the basketball arena. The Cradle of Coaches. Had spring practice going on and remember seeing guys, getting iced down, sitting in those large gray garbage cans. Arena was pretty cool...60ish style architecture. Had just built a new baseball stadium when I was there and it looked pretty nice also.

Also remember seeing, as I drove through downtown, a dickhead wearing an OM t-shirt. I drove by slow, honked my horn and flipped him off as I passed him.

blacklistedbully
12-04-2016, 12:35 PM
And to just add more info about our team. We tend to leave every half with 3 timeouts so if spares were allowed for a team,then they would be available

Great point. If we have the ball 1st & 10 at our 35, 47 seconds left in the half & all 3 timeouts...Coach Mullen will take 3 knees.

Jarius
12-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Just did a little reading on their team and they have an offense ranked in the 100s and a defense in the 30s, but that defense played against MAC teams all year. We should blow them out but our players are already bitching on Twitter about not being home For Chrostmas so I'm sure we will shit the bed and embarrass ourselves.

GTHOM
12-04-2016, 12:40 PM
State 45 Miami OH 24

bulldawg28
12-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Prepare thine anus!

EngDawg
12-04-2016, 01:11 PM

Alex

Wow, I'm pretty sure War and Peace is shorter.

Percho
12-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Been up to the Miami, Ohio campus a couple of times with work. Talk about a "Beautiful Campus", the one in Oxford, MS ain't got chit on the one in Oxford, OH. Was surprised at how many good looking co-eds they had up there too a lot of blondes from what I remember. Nice little football stadium that sort of sits down behind the basketball arena. The Cradle of Coaches. Had spring practice going on and remember seeing guys, getting iced down, sitting in those large gray garbage cans. Arena was pretty cool...60ish style architecture. Had just built a new baseball stadium when I was there and it looked pretty nice also.

Also remember seeing, as I drove through downtown, a dickhead wearing an OM t-shirt. I drove by slow, honked my horn and flipped him off as I passed him.

What about a,, grove? Did they have a, grove?

Percho
12-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I'll turn 74 on game day.

dawgday166
12-04-2016, 01:50 PM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

Spot on scouting report. You've been doing your homework.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2016, 02:06 PM
I'll turn 74 on game day.

Newborns will turn 74 before I finish yank's Original Post in this thread

Dawgowar
12-04-2016, 02:16 PM

Cheers,
Brian Hadad

And our marching band's entertainment factor is only rivaled by Grambling, Southern, and the Rolling Stones.

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Newborns will turn 74 before I finish yank's Original Post in this thread

V Cash idea. The game is actually played before someone can read the entire OP.

BulldogBear
12-04-2016, 02:34 PM
So, when is the actual official bowl announcement? Googling it just floods/spams you with a bunch of CFB playoff garbage. Is there an actual general bowl selection show?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
12-04-2016, 07:34 PM
What about a,, grove? Did they have a, grove?

No, I think they draw the line there....plenty of greenery but no groooove.

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2016, 07:48 PM
No, I think they draw the line there....plenty of greenery but no groooove.

They can get drunk and puke anywhere. They don't need a designated spot.

Indndawg
12-04-2016, 08:04 PM

Alex

destroyed all bandwidth

RocketDawg
12-04-2016, 08:25 PM
They can get drunk and puke anywhere. They don't need a designated spot.

Funny how the bowl opponent introductory thread has morphed into a "hate Ole Miss" one. But I suppose Miami being in Oxford was a good segue ... and there's probably something prophetical about that. Miami better watch out ....

mstatefan91
12-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Just did a little reading on their team and they have an offense ranked in the 100s and a defense in the 30s, but that defense played against MAC teams all year. We should blow them out but our players are already bitching on Twitter about not being home For Chrostmas so I'm sure we will shit the bed and embarrass ourselves.

Where are our players bitching on twitter?

BulldogBear
12-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Good stuff in this thread.

IIRC, that 1993 (or thereabouts) win over NW was the only game NW lost that year, and the Wildcats won the Big Ten for the first time since the French and Indian War or something. Humor aside, it was a good win. NW led 28-7 going into the 4th quarter and MOH cam back and beat them 30-28!

starkvegasdawg
12-04-2016, 11:39 PM
It's now official. Being from any town named Oxford, just ramps up the douche by a factor of 10. Found this jewel of a post on the link provided in volumes 1-5 of the OP:

S MY D, Dak Prescott! Let's stick those cowbells up their trash asses!

Jarius
12-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Where are our players bitching on twitter?

Jamal Couch and Jamal Peters complaining about not being able to go home for Christmas.

Mutt the Hoople
12-05-2016, 07:22 AM
I remember my parents driving us through the Miami Campus in 1975. There was this long-haired chick with a halter top and short-shorts walking...as we drove by, we saw it was a DUDE!

profholt82
12-05-2016, 10:39 AM

That was you?! Small world. :p

I realize that your Dawgs have had a down year, but you guys have had some strong teams the last few seasons and are well-respected, so we are excited to be playing a program of your caliber in the St. Pete Bowl. Our defense has been effective stopping the run this season, but the running game seems to be the Dawgs' bread and butter, so it should be a great challenge.

During our 0-6 start, we were starting a different quarterback who tended to struggle against the pass rush. Our current starting QB Gus Ragland returned from an ACL injury in the 7th game of the season and the offense improved immediately. We've yet to lose since his return. So while the overall offensive rating may be in the 100s, that is a deceiving statistic as the team has taken on a completely different dynamic since his return. Ragland is far more mobile than the previous starter, and has the ability to move the pocket and throw on the run with accuracy when protection breaks down. All of that said, with the exception of the season opener against Iowa, we have not played a defense as strong as yours.

profholt82
12-05-2016, 10:46 AM
By the way, when I joined your site, I missed the question "what is Dak Prescott's first name?" I assumed it was Dakota, but checked wikipedia just to make sure, and they have his full name listed as Rayne Dakota Prescott, but Rayne was not accepted by your site. So, who is correct, elitedawgs or wikipedia?

Indndawg
12-05-2016, 10:55 AM
I remember my parents driving us through the Miami Campus in 1975. There was this long-haired chick with a halter top and short-shorts walking...as we drove by, we saw it was a DUDE!

and didn't bow to the PC Nazis

Spanks004
12-05-2016, 10:58 AM
Greetings from another RedHawk! As Alex mentioned, we are very excited about this game given the name of the opponent. We thought for a week or so we were heading to Montgomery which would have been easier for many to attend, so I don't expect a lot of fans down in FL being the day after Christmas.

As for being from Oxford, Only 4 teams have won the Oxford Challenge beating Ole Miss & Miami-OH in same season: 1899, 2007, 2008 Vandy & 2002 LSU. Miss St could be 5.

Miami Co-eds: Miami has consistently been ranked top in the country on several random publications in the past, including Playboy Magazine

mstatefan91
12-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Jamal Couch and Jamal Peters complaining about not being able to go home for Christmas.

Yep. I see that now.. they need to grow up.

starkvegasdawg
12-05-2016, 11:03 AM
Greetings from another RedHawk! As Alex mentioned, we are very excited about this game given the name of the opponent. We thought for a week or so we were heading to Montgomery which would have been easier for many to attend, so I don't expect a lot of fans down in FL being the day after Christmas.

As for being from Oxford, Only 4 teams have won the Oxford Challenge beating Ole Miss & Miami-OH in same season: 1899, 2007, 2008 Vandy & 2002 LSU. Miss St could be 5.

Miami Co-eds: Miami has consistently been ranked top in the country on several random publications in the past, including Playboy Magazine

Your last name Monkey?

Jarius
12-05-2016, 11:14 AM
That was you?! Small world. :p

I realize that your Dawgs have had a down year, but you guys have had some strong teams the last few seasons and are well-respected, so we are excited to be playing a program of your caliber in the St. Pete Bowl. Our defense has been effective stopping the run this season, but the running game seems to be the Dawgs' bread and butter, so it should be a great challenge.

During our 0-6 start, we were starting a different quarterback who tended to struggle against the pass rush. Our current starting QB Gus Ragland returned from an ACL injury in the 7th game of the season and the offense improved immediately. We've yet to lose since his return. So while the overall offensive rating may be in the 100s, that is a deceiving statistic as the team has taken on a completely different dynamic since his return. Ragland is far more mobile than the previous starter, and has the ability to move the pocket and throw on the run with accuracy when protection breaks down. All of that said, with the exception of the season opener against Iowa, we have not played a defense as strong as yours.

From the looks of Your schedule you just played a bunch of Really bad teams the back half of the year outside of north Texas. Of course the defense you are about to play could very well be worse than all of the ones you've played this year.

Jack Lambert
12-05-2016, 11:15 AM

Who's you favorite Little Rascal?

profholt82
12-05-2016, 11:29 AM
Who's you favorite Little Rascal?
Is it Spanky?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/db/79/72/db79729267738adc25130344ea5f8b57.jpg

Jack Lambert was a tough dude from the MAC. Kent St, not a Miamian, but still, tons of respect for him.

Dawg61
12-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Congrats to Miami btw for changing y'alls nickname like twenty years ago (used to be Redskins I believe and now it's Redhawks). Old Misses needs to learn a lesson from y'all.

RocketDawg
12-05-2016, 01:37 PM
By the way, when I joined your site, I missed the question "what is Dak Prescott's first name?" I assumed it was Dakota, but checked wikipedia just to make sure, and they have his full name listed as Rayne Dakota Prescott, but Rayne was not accepted by your site. So, who is correct, elitedawgs or wikipedia?

Hmm. Don't know. I thought, or assumed, his first name was Dakota. Read somewhere that his mother was American Indian, so that may account for the names (Rayne also sounds like an American Indian name to me). Regardless of his name, all reports are that he's a great guy.

RocketDawg
12-05-2016, 01:40 PM

I don't know much about the caliber of minor bowls, but I'd say that the St. Pete bowl is a step above Montgomery. They play in a tiny stadium, and Montgomery is not a town to get excited about. Not even sure it would be easy to get to if you were flying, other than to go into Atlanta and drive down. They have a very small airport.

At my age, most of the co-eds at any college in the country look pretty good .....

Dawg61
12-05-2016, 01:53 PM
At my age, most of the co-eds at any college in the country look pretty good .....

Pretty sure MSU has more Miss Americas than Old Misses. I don't think Miami, OH wants to get into a whose got the hotter women competition with us. But we do appreciate your hot talent so please bring all of it to the bowl game or even better let's schedule a home and home to compare and contrast.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 01:58 PM
we have not played a defense as strong as yours.

Unless you played against teams of Nuns, old folks homes, and day care teams...I find this statement hard to believe. Peter "Powder Puff" Sirmon defenses and "strong" do not belong in the same sentence.

BrunswickDawg
12-05-2016, 02:08 PM
And our marching band's entertainment factor is only rivaled by Grambling, Southern, and the Rolling Stones.

I was disappointed when I went this year that we don't still play the theme song from "Shaft" - I am certain it was the cornerstone of the show all 4 years I was at State

Jack Lambert
12-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Is it Spanky?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/db/79/72/db79729267738adc25130344ea5f8b57.jpg

Jack Lambert was a tough dude from the MAC. Kent St, not a Miamian, but still, tons of respect for him.

So was Nick Saban. In fact I think he played with Jack.

Love and Honor
12-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Hello from a Miamian lucky enough to live in Tampa for this game. I don't know much about Mississippi State, but in college I was in an internship program with a perfect ten southern gal who went to MSU so you've got that going for you.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Hello from a Miamian lucky enough to live in Tampa for this game. I don't know much about Mississippi State, but in college I was in an internship program with a perfect ten southern gal who went to MSU so you've got that going for you.

Welcome. Looking forward to the game. Sorry the thread died...it's time for our yearly freak out over our coach being mentioned for other jobs, and our fears of prized recruits being bought out from under us by the dirty reverend beaver from Ole Miss

Randle McMurphy
12-07-2016, 12:24 AM
Hello. I do not get out too much but I will hopefully watch this game with friends. I like both teams.

Randle McMurphy
12-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Congrats to Miami btw for changing y'alls nickname like twenty years ago (used to be Redskins I believe and now it's Redhawks). Old Misses needs to learn a lesson from y'all.

Many of us did not like the change. I did not. And I'm not cuckoo either.

Dawg61
12-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Many of us did not like the change. I did not. And I'm not cuckoo either.

Maybe you don't like the change but y'all were progressive with it way in advance and that deserves a kudos. I wish Old Misses had your University's same thought process. They flaunt a racist Civil War saying for the nickname of their University. It is the most blatant form of racism that never gets called out by any national media that I can think of. They are the University of Mississippi yet CHOOSE to use Old Misses as the name they want everyone to know them by.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Maybe you don't like the change but y'all were progressive with it way in advance and that deserves a kudos. I wish Old Misses had your University's same thought process. They flaunt a racist Civil War saying for the nickname of their University. It is the most blatant form of racism that never gets called out by any national media that I can think of. They are the University of Mississippi yet CHOOSE to use Old Misses as the name they want everyone to know them by.

I thought they were the Mississippi Black Bears.

profholt82
12-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Regarding the name change from the Redskins to the Redhawks, Miami still has a close relationship with our namesake, the Miami Indian tribe which is now located in Oklahoma. It is my understanding that it was at the request of the tribe to change the name of the mascot back in the 1990s. If I'm off on that, a fellow Miamian can correct me.

Some alumni have been averse to the name change, but it is generally accepted by the vast majority of Miamians nowadays. When I was a student in the early aughts, the Indian chief imagery was still prevalent around campus on clothing and in some of the athletic buildings, but apparently he has almost completely disappeared now.

Jack Lambert
12-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Regarding the name change from the Redskins to the Redhawks, Miami still has a close relationship with our namesake, the Miami Indian tribe which is now located in Oklahoma. It is my understanding that it was at the request of the tribe to change the name of the mascot back in the 1990s. If I'm off on that, a fellow Miamian can correct me.

Some alumni have been averse to the name change, but it is generally accepted by the vast majority of Miamians nowadays. When I was a student in the early aughts, the Indian chief imagery was still prevalent around campus on clothing and in some of the athletic buildings, but apparently he has almost completely disappeared now.

The only team nick name I ever had a problem with was Red Skin. Nick names like Simon-oles, Indians, Cowboy, Irish and Uthe's, I did not have a problem with those but Red Skin I do.

The Belhaven Blazers use to be the Clansmen. I understood why they changed theirs. What I don't understand is them not changing it to Highlanders. FYI Belhaven is a NAIA school in Jackson Miss.

profholt82
12-07-2016, 03:04 PM
The only team nick name I ever had a problem with was Red Skin. Nick names like Simon-oles, Indians, Cowboy, Irish and Uthe's, I did not have a problem with those but Red Skin I do.

The Belhaven Blazers use to be the Clansmen. I understood why they changed theirs. What I don't understand is them not changing it to Highlanders. FYI Belhaven is a NAIA school in Jackson Miss.

Because there can be only one.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/4647002/there-can-be-only-one-o.gif

QuadrupleOption
12-07-2016, 04:30 PM

Wikipedia is correct. If you stick around long enough you'll realize that the guys who run this site are never right about anything.***

RocketDawg
12-07-2016, 04:40 PM

My own opinion I suppose ... but there's nothing wrong with using the word Indian or something related in your school mascot or athletic team name, as long as it's used positively. I see nothing wrong with the Cleveland Indians or the Atlanta Braves. But Redskins ... once again, to me ... is pretty much the same as using the "N word" as a team nickname ... it's a pejorative term. That opinion goes for the Washington NFL team as well.

Randle McMurphy
12-09-2016, 02:15 PM
We used it with dignity and respect. Players loved the "Redskins" name too.

Here are some of their comments I was able to get (Their nicknames are used only):

Martini "I miss it."

Billy "We played haaard with that name on our backs."

Harding "I didn't care. Still don't."

Cheswick "Why did we change it? Why? Why?"

Dawg61
12-09-2016, 03:34 PM
Miami can you teach us how to hockey please