PDA

View Full Version : Should Ohio State or Penn State be in the playoff?

Quaoarsking
12-03-2016, 11:55 PM
While Ohio State is almost certainly the better team, I have to go with Penn State thanks to the conference championship AND the head-to-head victory.

No other sport gives playoff bids to the team that's better theoretically, they give them to the teams that actually win the games that count.

Leroy Jenkins
12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
After watching Franklin Post-game, hell no. That guy is an ass.

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Ohio State. Ohio State beat Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin -- 2 on the road. Penn St beat Ohio State on a fluke in Happy Valley. Yeah, they won the Big 10 but they pulled Purdue and Rutgers so had the easier conference schedule. Not to mention PSU has a 39-pt loss to Michigan and lost to Pitt.

If we're only picking conference champions, change the criteria to say that. Otherwise, Ohio St is one of the 4 best teams.

preachermatt83
12-04-2016, 12:13 AM
Conf champs and won head to head. If it's not PSU over OSU then the whole system should be done away with.

Apoplectic
12-04-2016, 12:19 AM
Conf champs and won head to head. If it's not PSU over OSU then the whole system should be done away with.

Boom!!! I'm afraid espn talkn heads gonna cave to Delaney and OSU

gravedigger
12-04-2016, 12:28 AM
While Ohio State is almost certainly the better team, I have to go with Penn State thanks to the conference championship AND the head-to-head victory.

No other sport gives playoff bids to the team that's better theoretically, they give them to the teams that actually win the games that count.

Ohio state

parabrave
12-04-2016, 12:28 AM
And Pen State should be required to give every dam penny to the sandusky/Parteno victims.

gravedigger
12-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Ohio State. Ohio State beat Oklahoma, Michigan, and Wisconsin -- 2 on the road. Penn St beat Ohio State on a fluke in Happy Valley. Yeah, they won the Big 10 but they pulled Purdue and Rutgers so had the easier conference schedule. Not to mention PSU has a 39-pt loss to Michigan and lost to Pitt.

If we're only picking conference champions, change the criteria to say that. Otherwise, Ohio St is one of the 4 best teams.

Reply fail

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:32 AM
Not sure I follow. Missouri had a loss to Indiana, a 34-point shutout to Georgia, and a 30 point loss to Alabama. MSU had 2 losses to Top 15 teams

gravedigger
12-04-2016, 12:33 AM

Should missouri been awarded a better bowl afteR the 2014 season and champ game according to your criteria?

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:36 AM
Should missouri been awarded a better bowl afteR the 2014 season and champ game according to your criteria?

I can't really answer that question "according to my criteria" because 2014 Missouri had neither a conference championship nor a head-to-head victory over us.

Leroy Jenkins
12-04-2016, 12:53 AM
If its not Ohio State why do they even keep track of W L records. Head to head is a TIEBREAKER if the teams have the same record. They are not tied so we dont go to a tiebreaker.

Jack Lambert
12-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Best team should be in and it's up to the committee to make that decision. I know one thing if OSU gets in I better not ever hear about conference championship matters.

Bully13
12-04-2016, 09:56 AM
GOD I'm lost. Espn shows psu beat wi. I musta slept thru sumpthin.

archdog
12-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Exactly. We play 17n games in the regular season. If Ohio State gets in and Penn State is out, then we might as well declare the playoff teams as a lock in September after the first game of the year.

CadaverDawg
12-04-2016, 10:45 AM

Gotta agree.

This is about the "Best 4". On a neutral field with your mortgage on the line, who you putting your money on....Ohio State or Penn State?

It's funny how everyone wants to just jump to the "Conf Champs" and "H2H" argument, but forgets that Ohio State has the better resume including 1 less loss.

I think if you must have PSU in the playoff, Washington or Clemson should be out before Ohio State. And this coming from a guy that hates Ohio State.

mcain31
12-04-2016, 11:05 AM
I like both teams. Franklin has a winning record against UNM, but Meyer and tOSU have best chance to dethrone Bama. Meyer is playing 43 freshmen.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Gotta agree.

This is about the "Best 4". On a neutral field with your mortgage on the line, who you putting your money on....Ohio State or Penn State?

It's funny how everyone wants to just jump to the "Conf Champs" and "H2H" argument, but forgets that Ohio State has the better resume including 1 less loss.

I think if you must have PSU in the playoff, Washington or Clemson should be out before Ohio State. And this coming from a guy that hates Ohio State.

Is it about that? I think USC is one of the 4 best teams in the country, despite the 4 losses. Should they be in?

I think the playoff is about the 4 teams with the most deserving resumes. One way to decide between 2 teams in the same conference is looking at these:
-- Better record (and this can be tricky to balance for SOS and 12/13 games. Also I'd automatically exclude 3-loss teams.)
-- Head to head result
-- Which one won the conference

Penn State gets the last two to have 2 out of 3, so I'd take them. Had Wisconsin won last night, I'd take Ohio State because Ohio State would have 2 out of 3, so I would take Ohio State.

Dawgsfanalongtime77
12-04-2016, 11:51 AM
It's a double edged sword. I think the committee is torn between putting the 4 best teams in or should it be the 4 most deserving teams. I would have bama,Clemson,Washington,and penn st. That's the most deserving route but I think Ohio st stays in. Just a fun fact, one of penn. st losses was to Pitt. Funny thing is Clemsons only loss was to guess who, Pitt.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Meyer is playing 43 freshmen.

Wow... they have 6 5* players committed right now too. Ohio state is gonna be sick next season

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:13 PM
ESPN pretty much saying that Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson are all in, and that the 4th spot is between Washington, Penn State, and Michigan.

coachnorm
12-04-2016, 01:28 PM

If Penn State was serious about a national championship, why did they schedule Kent State on week One. Alabama beat a 9-3 USC team who probably would be 11-2 or 12-1 if Sam Darnold started in front of Max Browne on week One.

DLGDawg
12-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Anything that gives penn state grief.....I'm ok with

CadaverDawg
12-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Is it about that? I think USC is one of the 4 best teams in the country, despite the 4 losses. Should they be in?

I think the playoff is about the 4 teams with the most deserving resumes. One way to decide between 2 teams in the same conference is looking at these:
-- Better record (and this can be tricky to balance for SOS and 12/13 games. Also I'd automatically exclude 3-loss teams.)
-- Head to head result
-- Which one won the conference

Penn State gets the last two to have 2 out of 3, so I'd take them. Had Wisconsin won last night, I'd take Ohio State because Ohio State would have 2 out of 3, so I would take Ohio State.

If they played on a neutral field when PSU won I would agree

Bully13
12-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Ok, I'm a lazy ass. Can someone in a few short sweet sentences break down this big 10, psu, Ohio state, wi shit? Why was Ohio state in the top 4 and not playing in the big 10 title game? What the 17 is going on?