PDA

View Full Version : The playoff..............

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Penn State. Ohio State didn't win it's division nor its conference, neither did Michigan. If not Penn State then Oklahoma.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 11:50 PM
You're nuts...

Bama vs Washington
Ohio state vs Clemson

Bass Chaser
12-03-2016, 11:54 PM
I guess I'm nuts too because I don't think Ohio State should be in either.

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2016, 11:55 PM
If you can't even win your division and MAKE your conference championship game you in NO way deserve making the NATIONAL playoff. If Ohio State gets in the system needs to be scrapped. I could see taking a runner up, but Ohio State didn't even play for the BIG title.

maroonmania
12-03-2016, 11:57 PM
The only way Ohio St. shouldn't be in is if being a conference champion is a prerequisite to being in the CFP. Right now its not, so they should be in by resume.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 11:58 PM
I suggest you guys get your complaints written up... Ohio state will be in

Coursesuper
12-03-2016, 11:59 PM
That Penn State is allowed to even compete in a football game is an absolute travesty. The football program should have been shut down as soon as all the facts were made public about what happened there and was tacitly condoned by that school.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:01 AM

You are right of course, and it make a the whole thing a farce.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:02 AM
That Penn State is allowed to even compete in a football game is an absolute travesty. The football program should have been shut down as soon as all the facts were made public about what happened there and was tacitly condoned by that school.

THIS is right for sure. That being said as it is they should be in over Ohio State.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:03 AM
Ohio state lost by 3 at penn state and beat 3 top 10 teams (Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan)

Penn state did beat Ohio state and Wisconsin, but just to Pitt and 49-10 to Michigan.

Cooterpoot
12-04-2016, 12:04 AM
Going to find out if the eye test or championships and head to head carry more weight.

preachermatt83
12-04-2016, 12:06 AM
If you can't even win your division and MAKE your conference championship game you in NO way deserve making the NATIONAL playoff. If Ohio State gets in the system needs to be scrapped. I could see taking a runner up, but Ohio State didn't even play for the BIG title.

This all day.. Not to mention that PSU won the head to head.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:07 AM

In 2014, TCU was thought by most to be better than Baylor and was generally ranked ahead of them ... until mysteriously in the final rankings Baylor jumped ahead of them. Now because Baylor was 5 and TCU was 6 no one really paid attention to it, but that would have been the big story if they'd been 4 and 5.

The two takeaways are that only the final rankings matter and don't correlate to other rankings, and that head-to-head really matters, at least in the end.

ShotgunDawg
12-04-2016, 12:10 AM
This is why we need an 8 team playoff. 5 conference champs & 3 at large

Under this system though, if you an MSU fan, you should be rooting for Penn State to get in due to the precedent it sets.

I can see it now, MSU loses a non-conference game, beats Bama, MSU goes 10-2, Bama goes 11-1, MSU wins the SEC championship, & Bama goes to the playoff while MSU stays at home. See how that works?

I think Penn State should be in.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:12 AM
In 2014, TCU was thought by most to be better than Baylor and was generally ranked ahead of them ... until mysteriously in the final rankings Baylor jumped ahead of them. Now because Baylor was 5 and TCU was 6 no one really paid attention to it, but that would have been the big story if they'd been 4 and 5.

The two takeaways are that only the final rankings matter and don't correlate to other rankings, and that head-to-head really matters, at least in the end.

The question is which 2 of penn state, Clemson, or Washington get in imo... Ohio state is safe

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:12 AM

Under this system though, if you an MSU fan, you should be rooting for Penn State to get in due to the precedent it sets.

I can see it now, MSU loses a non-conference game, beats Bama, MSU goes 10-2, Bama goes 11-1, MSU wins the SEC championship, & Bama goes to the playoff while MSU stays at home.

Hell, I'd think that's probably right if we've got 2 losses -- for comparison to PSU, let's say one to an 8-win Arizona team and the other by 40 to Auburn -- and our win against Bama was off a fluke special teams play after getting outgained by 200 at home.

It_Could_Happen
12-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Remember two years ago when TCU/Baylor got left out and the committee said conference champs/head to head matters? Penn State should be in. Stand by the precedent you set.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:15 AM
Ideally they would set up some objective system where your record gets you into the playoffs, just like every professional sport.

Imagine cutting down to 4 power conferences and the "playoff" was Big 10 vs. Pac 16 in the Rose Bowl, SEC vs. ACC in whatever bowl, and winners play for the title. No Committee, no debates.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:17 AM
The committee set themselves up for this controversy by releasing a top 4 every week. Just release 1 playoff poll after championship Saturday and be done with it

ScoobaDawg
12-04-2016, 12:17 AM

I can see it now, MSU loses a non-conference game, beats Bama, MSU goes 10-2, Bama goes 11-1, MSU wins the SEC championship, & Bama goes to the playoff while MSU stays at home. See how that works?

but thats not the system we have.

Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Washington. That's what it should be. and will likely be .

Dawg61
12-04-2016, 12:26 AM
but thats not the system we have.

Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, Washington. That's what it should be. and will likely be .

They are the best 4 teams. Penn State isn't. End. Of. Debate.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:27 AM

1 Alabama
8 Western Michigan (1 bid reserved for G5)

5 Michigan
4 Washington

6 Oklahoma
3 Clemson

7 Penn State
2 Ohio State

Wanted to avoid a rematch, but Ohio State played 3 teams in the field.

tireddawg
12-04-2016, 12:28 AM
Isn't it quite possible Penn State could have had 3 losses & still won the conference championship? What if that were the case, would you guys still think they should be in?

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Ohio state lost by 3 at penn state and beat 3 top 10 teams (Oklahoma, Wisconsin, and Michigan)

Penn state did beat Ohio state and Wisconsin, but just to Pitt and 49-10 to Michigan.

But Ohio State didn't even PLAY for the BIG title. PSU won Ohio State's division AND the BIG title. To take OSU and not PSU would make a mockery of the whole thing. I HOPE it happens. THEN we can go to 8 and take all five of the Power Five Champs, the best of the Group of Five, and the next two highest rated teams at large.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:31 AM
but Ohio State played 3 teams in the field.

That's why Ohio state should be in.

In your best 8 teams...

Bama 0-0
WM 0-0
Michigan 1-1
Washington 0-0
Oklahoma 0-1
Clemson 0-0
Penn state 1-1
Ohio state 2-1

Quaoarsking
Isn't it quite possible Penn State could have had 3 losses & still won the conference championship? What if that were the case, would you guys still think they should be in?

Well, they could have also lost to Temple and Kent State and won the Big 10 at 9-4. It's mathematically possible that they could've won the division in a huge 4-5 tie, with 3 non-conference losses, and then won today to be champions at 5-8.

Liverpooldawg
1 Alabama
8 Western Michigan (1 bid reserved for G5)

5 Michigan
4 Washington

6 Oklahoma
3 Clemson

7 Penn State
2 Ohio State

Wanted to avoid a rematch, but Ohio State played 3 teams in the field.

THIS IS WHAT WE NEED. Nailed it. I'd even agree with the seeding on this.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:33 AM

NO, but as it stands now THEN you take Oklahoma over Ohio State. WE need 8.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2016, 12:33 AM
But Ohio State didn't even PLAY for the BIG title. PSU won Ohio State's division AND the BIG title. To take OSU and not PSU would make a mockery of the whole thing. I HOPE it happens. THEN we can go to 8 and take all five of the Power Five Champs, the best of the Group of Five, and the next two highest rated teams at large.

I don't think that's a very good argument, because the conference championships match up the top team in each division, not necessarily the 2 best teams in the conference. Ohio State had a better conference record than Wisconsin and beat them head-to-head. It was a geographical fluke that Ohio State didn't play in this game.

Personally, I think divisions are awful and that all conferences should abolish them. Take the 2 best teams to the conference championship, or even better, abolish conference championships altogether. That would give an opening to expand the playoff to 8 without the "an extra game is too hard on players' bodies!" argument.

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:34 AM
NO, but as it stands now THEN you take Oklahoma over Ohio State. WE need 8.

Um, Ohio St has the head-to-head over Oklahoma under your criteria

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 12:34 AM
I'm not going to say OSU does or does not deserve to be in because that doesn't matter. What does matter is what the committee has done previously. I have this gut feeling it's going to be BAMA, Clemson, Washington, and Penn State with OSU and Michigan outside looking in.

Why? Just look at last years final playoff rankings.

1 CLEM 13-0
2 ALA 12-1
3 MSU 12-1
4 OKLA 11-1
5 IOWA 12-1
6 STAN 11-2
7 OSU 11-1

In the 2015 final poll OSU was 11-1 with same record as this season and finished 7th in the final poll. Who did they finish behind? Well, obviously the top four were conference champions. Then we have Iowa at 5, and Iowa, before losing their conference championship game, really played no one all season. Then OSU finished behind a 2 loss PAC-12 champion Stanford. I think this is the precedent that will be followed.

Well, how do they drop OSU from 2 all the way to 5? I think it's easy. Lots of teams lost last week and that moved OSU up. However, the championship games had not yet been played last week. Last week, OSU was deserving of the #2 team without the consideration of the championships. This week the championships are in play and that will change imo. This week Clemson beat a top 25 team and won their conference. Washington beat a top 10 team and won their conference. PSU, the team that beat OSU and won that division, had an amazing comeback against a top 10 team and won this years "best" conference. OSU? They sat at home on championship Saturday hoping someone would lose. No one did.

Jmo.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:36 AM
I don't think that's a very good argument, because the conference championships match up the top team in each division, not necessarily the 2 best teams in the conference. Ohio State had a better conference record than Wisconsin and beat them head-to-head. It was a geographical fluke that Ohio State didn't play in this game.

Personally, I think divisions are awful and that all conferences should abolish them. Take the 2 best teams to the conference championship, or even better, abolish conference championships altogether. That would give an opening to expand the playoff to 8 without the "an extra game is too hard on players' bodies!" argument.
I think every conference should have them. Go to an 8 team field. Take all five P5 champs, the best G5 team, and the best two at large.

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:36 AM
We're also forgetting that Penn State is also a *2-loss* team.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Um, Ohio St has the head-to-head over Oklahoma under your criteria

My criteria involves conference champs. Oklahoma won theirs, OSU didn't even win their DIVISON.

tireddawg
12-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Well, they could have also lost to Temple and Kent State and won the Big 10 at 9-4. It's mathematically possible that they could've won the division in a huge 4-5 tie, with 3 non-conference losses, and then won today to be champions at 5-8.

I know. Just a thought to those that were saying PSU should be in due to being conference champs.

bluelightstar
12-04-2016, 12:38 AM
My criteria involves conference champs. Oklahoma won theirs, OSU didn't even win their DIVISON.

So then, they should say the criteria are the 4 best of the 5 conference champions. Otherwise, Ohio St > Penn St.

TUSK
12-04-2016, 12:42 AM
It depends...

If the goal is to have the 4 best teams: Bama, OSU, Clemson, PSU/Michigan/Washington
If the goal is to have the most deserving teams: Bama, Clemson, Washington, Penn St./Michigan/OSU

TUSK
12-04-2016, 12:43 AM

No.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:44 AM
It's probably academic anyway, BAMA takes them all.

DancingRabbit
12-04-2016, 12:49 AM
This year will get the serious talk to an 8 game playoff started. I can't see the benefit of going beyond 8 but in today's environment it's pretty easy to see that the perfect scenario is the five P5 champs, 2 at large P5 teams, 1 non-P5.

It will take a few years but the current contracts won't make the 10-year term. They will be amended or replaced.

This year may also stir some talk about eliminating divisions. Just take the top two teams by tiebreakers.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:51 AM
There is precedent for a non-conference champ playing for a natty...

Bama vs lsu in '11

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-04-2016, 12:53 AM
1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Washington

Conference championships mean a lot, but they don't mean everything.

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 12:54 AM
This year will get the serious talk to an 8 game playoff started. I can't see the benefit of going beyond 8 but in today's environment it's pretty easy to see that the perfect scenario is the five P5 champs, 2 at large P5 teams, 1 non-P5.

It will take a few years but the current contracts won't make the 10-year term. They will be amended or replaced.

This year may also stir some talk about eliminating divisions. Just take the top two teams by tiebreakers.

I agree with you on everything except the 1 non-P5. That's a wasted game imo. Can you imagine BAMA vs WMU in a playoff game? I think we need to separate divisions or just make it 3 at large bids to the three most deserving teams.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 12:55 AM
1. Bama
2. OSU
3. Clemson
4. Washington

Conference championships mean a lot, but they don't mean everything.

This is what it will be and what it should be. Gonna be entertaining games. I don't think Washington can beat Alabama, but I expect Washington to have a bag of tricks for saban

TUSK
12-04-2016, 12:55 AM

I was all for the BCS.... then I was all for the CFP.... I'm extra all for a bigger playoff... the more, the better, for my guys....

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:56 AM

Bama vs lsu in '11

Yeah, but that was the clear number one and number two being in the same DIVISION.

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 12:58 AM

Bama vs lsu in '11

Not in the playoff format.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 12:58 AM
I agree with you on everything except the 1 non-P5. That's a wasted game imo. Can you imagine BAMA vs WMU in a playoff game? I think we need to separate divisions or just make it 3 at large bids to the three most deserving teams.

You do that to throw them a bone and give them hope. One of the things that makes college football great is it's reach across the country.

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 12:59 AM
This is what it will be and what it should be. Gonna be entertaining games. I don't think Washington can beat Alabama, but I expect Washington to have a bag of tricks for saban

41-17

msstate7
12-04-2016, 01:01 AM
41-17

45-31

I think Washington can challenge bama in the passing game much like om, but no way they stop you guys

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 01:03 AM
45-31

I think Washington can challenge bama in the passing game much like om, but no way they stop you guys

There's no way their oline can play with us. No way.

Liverpooldawg
12-04-2016, 01:03 AM
Bama rolls them all.

msstate7
12-04-2016, 01:10 AM
There's no way their oline can play with us. No way.

They've given up 2 more sacks than you guys this year.

Again, I'm not predicting Washington even comes close to winning, but they're gonna be the best offense you've guys seen in a while. Peterson knows he can line up and beat you guys so expect a game plan like he used vs Oklahoma in the fiesta the year he beat stoops

Token Bammer
12-04-2016, 01:53 AM
They've given up 2 more sacks than you guys this year.

Again, I'm not predicting Washington even comes close to winning, but they're gonna be the best offense you've guys seen in a while. Peterson knows he can line up and beat you guys so expect a game plan like he used vs Oklahoma in the fiesta the year he beat stoops

We will see. They havent played a team with an NFL front 7. They look outmatched up front on both sides of the ball.