PDA

View Full Version : SEC Championship Thread

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:08 PM
In the opening, Gary & Verne were reaching for anything possible to portray this as a potentially close game.

Would be shocked if Bama doesn't win this by 17+. I just don't have any clue how Florida will score.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:14 PM
FWIW, Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has the following Alabama players in the first round of his mock draft:

Jonathan Allen #1

Reuben Foster #6

Tim Williams #10

Ryan Anderson #19

Cam Robinson #29

OJ Howard #32

So, 4 of Bama's front 7 are predicted to be 1st round picks

Florida has the following players predicted to be 1st round picks

Quincy Wilson #13
Teez Tabor #15
Caleb Brantley #28
Jarrad Davis # 30

Florida has 4 first rounders on their defense

HoopsDawg
12-03-2016, 04:26 PM
UF +32 now.

Dawgface
12-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Welll....FL had one good drive. Lead 7-0.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:28 PM
Well, I don't know anything. Florida with a TD on their first possession.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 04:32 PM
Florida qb just ruined any hope. Dummy

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:34 PM
florida D looks good so far. Their qb isn't very bright though. Terrible decision on the int

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
That was a big win for the UF D holding them to a fg attempt

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:35 PM
Huge stop for Florida.

Maybe this will be a good game. Florida can slow down Bama's running game & force Hurts to beat them.

Could be an interesting game

msstate7
12-03-2016, 04:36 PM
It's incredibly early in this game and I'm sure I'll look foolish later, but seeing hurts vs lsu and the start here... I think Ohio state will give bama all they want. I like Ohio state's defense a lot and they have players on offense to challenge bama's defense. Ohio state's oline is gonna have to step it up though

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Hurts looks a little rattled so far. About how he looked in BR

msstate7
12-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Hurts looks a little rattled so far. About how he looked in BR

Florida can contain him and cover bama receivers like lsu. Ohio state can do the same

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:38 PM
It's incredibly early in this game and I'm sure I'll look foolish later, but seeing hurts vs lsu and the start here... I think Ohio state will give bama all they want. I like Ohio state's defense a lot and they have players on offense to challenge bama's defense. Ohio state's oline is gonna have to step it up though

I agree. I also wouldn't sleep on Washington. Peterson is an excellent coach. I don't know if they have the horses quite yet, but he'll have his guys prepared

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:44 PM
Looks like the FL QB is on the take. Brutal

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:45 PM
Applebee is Henig level bad

civildawg
12-03-2016, 04:46 PM
How does Florida of all places not have a competent qb for the last two years. I'm thankful we haven't had to worry about that with Mullen

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:47 PM
I agree. I also wouldn't sleep on Washington. Peterson is an excellent coach. I don't know if they have the horses quite yet, but he'll have his guys prepared

Alabama will smoke Washington

Washington is basically Mississippi State talent wise. They have a better defense & are winning culture right now, so they are better than us. I'd say Washington is something close to Texas A&M, if A&M was playing well.

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:49 PM
Alabama will smoke Washington

Washington is basically Mississippi State talent wise. They have a better defense & are winning culture right now, so they are better than us. I'd say Washington is something close to Texas A&M, if A&M was playing well.

You may be right. But if I'm an underdog in a big game, Peterson is the guy I want on my sideline.

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:51 PM
This is frustrating because if Florida had a halfway competent qb this would have all the potential to be a great game.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:52 PM
Does Bama have 17 points & no first downs?

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Geoff Collins could have stayed at state and had an offense that wouldn't leave his defense out to dry.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Good lord. This game is brutal

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:54 PM
Geoff Collins could have stayed at state and had an offense hat wouldn't leave his defense out to dry.

Coaches just want to go where it's easier to recruit.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 04:55 PM
How does Florida of all places not have a competent qb for the last two years. I'm thankful we haven't had to worry about that with Mullen

Mullen could create offense with Tyson lee and relf. I'd be very concerned with McE if I were a Florida fan. Florida is bc of what boom left them... not McE.

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:56 PM
Coaches just want to go where it's easier to recruit.

Well he's done a good job on defense. Whoever is in charge of their qb evaluations has issues.

Red Sox Dawg
There is no substitute for speed. We need to recruit speed on defense and good OL. That's what wins in the SEC.

ShotgunDawg
Alabama has 17 points & minus 7 yards total offense

MetEdDawg
Wonder how many times in football history a blocked punt returned for a TD was followed by a blocked PAT returned for 2 points.

Gonna guess not many.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 04:57 PM
You may be right. But if I'm an underdog in a big game, Peterson is the guy I want on my sideline.

Peterson will have 15 trick plays drawn up and will challenge bama deep with their qb and wr's

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 04:57 PM
Mullen could create offense with Tyson lee and relf. I'd be very concerned with McE if I were a Florida fan. Florida is bc of what boom left them... not McE.

If Greer hadn't got cause juicing I think they'd be a lot better. They're offense was starting to get on a roll last year until he was suspended.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 04:59 PM
Peterson will have 15 trick plays drawn up and will challenge bama deep with their qb and wr's

Gonna have to block 4 1st rounders in the front 7 to do that.

Bass Chaser
Delete

Goldendawg
I can see how the rest of the country hates bama. I am very tired of them also, don't care if they are SEC. We live 5 miles from the bama line in NE Ms and there are more sidewalk bama fans from Ms than UNM and State fans combined. Most of them don't even know where Tuscaloosa is and have never spent anything on a college program except at the Fulton Walmart. It used to be bama and the SEC weak sisters, now it's bama and the weaker entire rest of the NCAA FB teams. I, too, find it boring and think it is hurting the game.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:00 PM
If Greer hadn't got cause juicing I think they'd be a lot better. They're offense was starting to get on a roll last year until he was suspended.

It's freaking Florida! Applebee and del rio are the best McE can come up with? No way they should be this bad at qb

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Gonna have to block 4 1st rounders in the front 7 to do that.

If you can't block them, fool them. If they start wondering what's coming next, they'll slow down their pass rush.

I really hate that Mullen doesn't take this plan vs bama. Trick play them to death and it could take them off their game

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 05:02 PM
It's freaking Florida! Applebee and del rio are the best McE can come up with? No way they should be this bad at qb

Oh no doubt. They have missed about as bad in evaluating qbs as you can. Very Croomlike

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 05:06 PM
I can see how the rest of the country hates bama. I am very tired of them also, don't care if they are SEC. We live 5 miles from the bama line in NE Ms and there are more sidewalk bama fans from Ms than UNM and State fans combined. Most of them don't even know where Tuscaloosa is and have never spent anything on a college program except at the Fulton Walmart. It used to be bama and the SEC weak sisters, now it's bama and the weaker entire rest of the NCAA FB teams. I, too, find it boring and think it is hurting the game.

I actually think it's doing more harm to the SEC than good. What up and coming coach wants to come to the SEC and have go through Saban every year? By the time Saban retires SEC coaching could be below PAC-12 and ACC. I think the BIG has already passed us in that regard.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 05:11 PM
Ouch

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyyL1WXXEAA-0OX.jpg

Goldendawg
12-03-2016, 05:14 PM
This game is not even interesting with about 12 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. The bama fans around here are and have been just as obnoxious as the most delusional, hardcore UNM fan since Saban arrived.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 05:16 PM
I actually think it's doing more harm to the SEC than good. What up and coming coach wants to come to the SEC and have go through Saban every year? By the time Saban retires SEC coaching could be below PAC-12 and ACC. I think the BIG has already passed us in that regard.

Completely agree. You can't blame Bama though. They, like everyone else, are just trying to win.

So who do you blame?

1. The NCAA. Is their recruiting clean & up to snuff or do they play by different rules?
2. The NCAA. The scholarship rules or the manner by which teams acquire players has to change. The best team getting the top 25 picks of every high school draft is a terrible system for interesting competition.

SEC games between teams 2-12 are infinitely more fun to watch than any game with Bama involved.

I'll pose this. MSU is much closer to be the 3rd best team in the country than they 3rd best team in the country is to being Bama.

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Completely agree. You can't blame Bama though. They, like everyone else, are just trying to win.

So who do you blame?

1. The NCAA. Is their recruiting clean & up to snuff or do they play by different rules?
2. The NCAA. The scholarship rules or the manner by which teams acquire players has to change. The best team getting the top 25 picks of every high school draft is a terrible system for interesting competition.

SEC games between teams 2-12 are infinitely more fun to watch than any game with Bama involved.

I'll pose this. MSU is much closer to be the 3rd best team in the country than they 3rd best team in the country is to being Bama.

I really think Bama gets exposed somewhat in the playoffs. I really can't tell how good Bama really is due to the SEC being down this year. I think we are witnessing the decline of the SEC, which could benefit us if Saban ever retires.

maroonmania
12-03-2016, 05:20 PM

They are ruining SEC football for me. If there was any other decent football game on against the SEC championship game then I wouldn't even be watching the AL-FL game. About the only time its interesting to watch AL play is in September before they have everything figured out with all of their talent. That's about the only time most teams have a chance to give them a scare or even beat them. Wish we could swap playing AL in November with UNM who does get them in September.

ShotgunDawg
Ouch

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyyML14WIAEYbIW.jpg

Goldendawg
The Sec (L)east makes watching this game a waste of time. Great game changing fake punt just now by Fl.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:21 PM
McE is a clown. Florida will never win the sec with him

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 05:22 PM
I really think Bama gets exposed somewhat in the playoffs. I really can't tell how good Bama really is due to the SEC being down this year. I think we are witnessing the decline of the SEC, which could benefit us if Saban ever retires.

The Big 10 has better coaches but the SEC still has tons more talent than any other conference. Your listening to much to the media if you don't think Bama has played quality competition this year. 17 of the top 32 NFL prospects this year are SEC players.

Saban is partly to blame for the SEC decline. No good coaches have any interest in recruiting in the conference or coaching against a team that gets all the best players in the country

Goldendawg
12-03-2016, 05:24 PM
I don't think bama has to cheat much,if any, at this point. Nation's best players want to play for Saban and know they can win National Championships and go to the NFL is 3 years in the 1st round. I don't know what you can do. The rich get richer.

GTHOM
This game is over. McElwain is overated. How long till UF gets tired of him?

BayouDawg
The Big 10 has better coaches but the SEC still has tons more talent than any other conference. Your listening to much to the media if you don't think Bama has played quality competition this year. 17 of the top 32 NFL prospects this year are SEC players.

Saban is partly to blame for the SEC decline. No good coaches have any interest in recruiting in the conference or coaching against a team that gets all the best players in the country

You're probably right. I have just developed a bitter hatred for Bama and am cheering for them to lose. Sorry Tusk

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 05:25 PM
I don't think bama has to cheat much,if any, at this point. Nation's best players want to play for Saban and know they can win National Championships and go to the NFL is 3 years in the 1st round. I don't know what you can do. The rich get richer.

You don't think they cheated for Lashley or the Meridian kid that committed to Mullen in his office?

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Strick may have his first test coming soon.

Goldendawg
12-03-2016, 05:28 PM
Even some of the "nicer" bama fans from this part of NE MS are quite condescending. They run a close 2nd to UNM on my no Christmas card list.

Goldendawg
12-03-2016, 05:31 PM
I honestly think they signed Lashley just to keep us from getting him. Would have helped us very early in his State career. May be years b4 he starts for them. Our lack of even being competitive against them in the past 3 years is also very disheartening.

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Saban will retire soon enough. It was just a perfect storm where he wasn't as successful as he wanted to be in the NFL and Moore's insistance to get him. Moore could just as easily struck out on Saban and would have gone from folk hero to Goat really quick. I'd say Saban will retire in the next five years. This is the longest he has been anywhere.

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 05:46 PM

How the hell he hasn't recruited a QB is stupid. He is an average QB away from winning big there.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Sec championship should be the premier sporting event today. Instead I'm watching Baylor play WV and anxiously waiting for the big 10 championship. Bama is a great team, but you're kidding yourself if you think the sec is the best conference this year. The bottom teams in the sec would beat the bottom of the big 10, but I think the big 10 would dominate the sec on the top half

BayouDawg
12-03-2016, 05:51 PM
Other than Saban who are the top coaches in the SEC?

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:54 PM
Other than Saban who are the top coaches in the SEC?

There's been some bad hires the last few years in the sec if you ask me.

LC Dawg
12-03-2016, 05:54 PM
There are really only about 150 Alabama fans. There are many many more Alabama football fans.

NCDawg
12-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Saban will retire soon enough. It was just a perfect storm where he wasn't as successful as he wanted to be in the NFL and Moore's insistance to get him. Moore could just as easily struck out on Saban and would have gone from folk hero to Goat really quick. I'd say Saban will retire in the next five years. This is the longest he has been anywhere.

I've come to the conclusion that we will never see Atlanta as long as Saban is there. We used to be competitive with Alabama during the Stallings, Perkins, Curry, Dubose, years. When Saban came in, and due to his great recruiting, we can't compete with them. Glad I got to see State in the Championship game in '98. Probably won't ever see it again for many, many, years.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Personally I hope he sticks around too long. There will be something very satisfying about seeing Saban get beat often and eventually asked to resign

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 06:00 PM
I've come to the conclusion that we will never see Atlanta as long as Saban is there. We used to be competitive with Alabama during the Stallings, Perkins, Curry, Dubose, years. When Saban came in, and due to his great recruiting, we can't compete with them. Glad I got to see State in the Championship game in '98. Probably won't ever see it again for many, many, years.

I think you will see Bama tick down a little next year on offense when Kiffin leaves and they are left with a dual threat QB and no way to use him in a Sark offense. If Kiffin doesn't get a head gig, I think he ends up at LSU with Coach O. He will have just as much talent and make just as much money and will have full control of the LSU offense. At Alabama, I think. Saban meddles in the offense.

TUSK
12-03-2016, 06:08 PM
I think you will see Bama tick down a little next year on offense when Kiffin leaves and they are left with a dual threat QB and no way to use him in a Sark offense. If Kiffin doesn't get a head gig, I think he ends up at LSU with Coach O. He will have just as much talent and make just as much money and will have full control of the LSU offense. At Alabama, I think. Saban meddles in the offense.

They'll be more talented/experienced (lose LT & TE), but I'm not good a enough Xs & Os guy to predict how the coaching change will affect them...

Hell, if Sark just runs it 5-10 more times a game, they should be better, IMO...

I think they will be close (statistically) to what they are this year...

RocketDawg
12-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Alabama just got their first penalty of the game at 12 to go in the 3rd quarter. Imagine ... 33 minutes of perfect football from a penalty aspect. ;)

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 06:44 PM
So you go for it on fourth when you could have made it a two score game with a chip shot field goal. You take the points. Danielson is an idiot,

HoopsDawg
12-03-2016, 06:47 PM
Kiffin sucks. That is all.

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 06:47 PM
They'll be more talented/experienced (lose LT & TE), but I'm not good a enough Xs & Os guy to predict how the coaching change will affect them...

Hell, if Sark just runs it 5-10 more times a game, they should be better, IMO...

I think they will be close (statistically) to what they are this year...

Sark isn't nearly as creative as Kiffin is. He is a more traditional pro style type of OC. He fits with what Saban wants to do but he prefers a Pro Style QB to a dual threat. I don't think Hurts will be as successful in a Sark offense.

TUSK
12-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Alabama just got their first penalty of the game at 12 to go in the 3rd quarter. Imagine ... 33 minutes of perfect football from a penalty aspect. ;)

REC doin' work...

check out #128...

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category14/sort01.html

TUSK
12-03-2016, 06:56 PM
Sark isn't nearly as creative as Kiffin is. He is a more traditional pro style type of OC. He fits with what Saban wants to do but he prefers a Pro Style QB to a dual threat. I don't think Hurts will be as successful in a Sark offense.

ahhhhh.... Thanks.... that explains the offer to Tua...

msstate7
12-03-2016, 06:58 PM
ahhhhh.... Thanks.... that explains the offer to Tua...

If they make the move to a pro style offense, hurts will have to improve dramatically in the pocket to stay the guy.

TUSK
12-03-2016, 07:01 PM
If they make the move to a pro style offense, hurts will have to improve dramatically in the pocket to stay the guy.

agreed, but if that's the case, he might not be the guy...

msstate7
12-03-2016, 07:02 PM
agreed, but if that's the case, he might not be the guy...

Kiffin might get to take his qb back to Texas with him

TUSK
12-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Kiffin might get to take his qb back to Texas with him

you lost me there, buddy... you mean get hurts to xfer to houston?

Commercecomet24
12-03-2016, 07:05 PM
Congrats on another championship, Tusk.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 07:07 PM
you lost me there, buddy... you mean get hurts to xfer to houston?

Maybe if things don't work out next season. Certainly not before next season.

DanDority
12-03-2016, 07:10 PM
I really don't know why in the heck Hurts is still running the ball.

DanDority
12-03-2016, 07:11 PM
What does UA have behind him at QB?

DanDority
12-03-2016, 07:14 PM
I will probably laugh if the guy gets hurts, not because the young man gets hurt but because the coaches are dumb enough to continue to run the QB.

TUSK
12-03-2016, 07:16 PM
What does UA have behind him at QB?

Cooper Bateman... fairly accurate, average mobility, noodle arm... We could win with him, but the margins for error would decrease dramatically...

msstate7
12-03-2016, 07:19 PM
Who takes over play calling for playoffs?

TUSK
12-03-2016, 07:21 PM
Who takes over play calling for playoffs?

I'd guess Sark and Saban would do it collectively...

Goldendawg
12-03-2016, 07:37 PM
BTW, anyone notice that the bama D players form tackle and lockup better than our D guys??

TUSK
12-03-2016, 07:42 PM
BTW, anyone notice that the bama D players form tackle and lockup better than our D guys??

excellent observation... this is the best tackling team I've ever seen...

they are really well coached on the fundamentals...

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 07:42 PM
Yes. Because they are better players. Better players do that