PDA

View Full Version : Concerning Mullen's use of seniors

MidTNDawg
09-04-2013, 02:16 PM
As badly as I hate to say this, Johnny Vaught had the best solution I have seen while he coached umiss. Vaught would start the senior, but the underclassmen would play most of the game. This was especially true for QB's. Some others here may be old enough to recall this.

PassInterference
09-04-2013, 02:19 PM
I say play the best players. I don't care who starts. The best players should get most of the PT.

Dan does seem loyal to seniors. See Cherrington.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm OK with starting seniors and guys that do well in practice. But the best guys better play the rest of the game.

MidTNDawg
09-04-2013, 05:43 PM
If not clear, I agree with PI and T4S which is the purpose of my post. It just seems such a simple fix. The more senior player has the honor of being called the starter, and the better player gets the recognition of playing time.

MetEdDawg
09-04-2013, 06:23 PM
But it's more important to win football games and that's where Mullen is right now. He's torn between a senior Russell, who is talented and had one of if not the greatest season any QB at MSU has had but right now doesn't fit the system, or Dak, who is a sophomore, but has the skill set that Mullen knows how to utilize. I understand why Mullen will be reluctant to bench Russell in the long term, but he has to seriously consider who gives us the best chance to win, and to do that he has to look at himself.

Mullen is a spread option guy. Tyler Russell is not, but he was the best option we had over the last two years as Relf was transitioning out. It's a shitty situation, but Mullen has to step up and make a commitment to Dak for the long term betterment of the football team. Dak's skill set is what he knows how to use and it's what this offense was supposed to be created for. We don't have the OL to protect Russell for 10 seconds while he makes his mind up on who to throw to. We have to go Dak because I think if we give him the reigns right now, he will improve enough to where we will look like idiots at the end of the year for not going to him sooner.

ETA: I'm over 25 posts. Can I get access to the IMPP board and the Politics board? Thank you