PDA

View Full Version : If Akers goes to Ole Miss

PonderThis1
12-03-2016, 02:49 PM
I know this is basically going to be the same thread as the other one but I'm coming from a different angle. Shouldn't we want Akers to go to OM instead of LSU? If he goes there, They'll basically be LSU this year with a worse defense. If he goes to LSU, he'll have a better o line, a better defense, and probably have 1-2 other RBs he can be spelled by to keep him fresh. We just beat that team by 35 at heir place. Is he worth 35 points?

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Wrong, we want Akers to go to LSU for 2 reasons:

1. They are LSU. Akers isn't that much of an upgrade, if any, from Guice or any of the other RBs they have there. LSU won't be better or worse with Akers. He'll just be another guy

2. If Akers goes to LSU, it likely LSU 4 star RB commit Clyde Edwards Helaire flips to us.

PonderThis1
12-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Guice will be gone next year. So question is whether he'd be an upgrade from the next guy up. I say a substantial one.

CEH flip is a good point though.

HSVDawg
12-03-2016, 02:58 PM
I know this is basically going to be the same thread as the other one but I'm coming from a different angle. Shouldn't we want Akers to go to OM instead of LSU? If he goes there, They'll basically be LSU this year with a worse defense. If he goes to LSU, he'll have a better o line, a better defense, and probably have 1-2 other RBs he can be spelled by to keep him fresh. We just beat that team by 35 at heir place. Is he worth 35 points?

To me its more about opportunity cost, in a sense. If he doesn't go to LSU, they are still going to have Guice plus 3 or 4 comparable 4 and 5 star backs behind him to throw at every team they play. At OM, he significantly improves their situation because they are thin and lack talent at RB (that and LB have been their biggest misses in recruiting over the last 3 or 4 years). He improves LSU's team a lot less than he improves OM's. And I don't care what anyone says, Akers isn't going to be another Leonard Fournette. But even if somehow he is, the gap still won't be as big between him and the #2 guy at LSU as it will be at OM. So, I hope he goes to OSU or LSU.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 02:58 PM
They had a 93 rated 4 star in their 2016 class named Devin White

they also had a 92 rated guy in their 2015 class.

So it's tough to say since we haven't seen these guys yet.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Wrong, we want Akers to go to LSU for 2 reasons:

1. They are LSU. Akers isn't that much of an upgrade, if any, from Guice or any of the other RBs they have there. LSU won't be better or worse with Akers. He'll just be another guy

2. If Akers goes to LSU, it likely LSU 4 star RB commit Clyde Edwards Helaire flips to us.

#2... Williams, Gibson, hill, and Clyde would give us the backs we need to ram it down throats

HSVDawg
12-03-2016, 03:02 PM
Guice will be gone next year. So question is whether he'd be an upgrade from the next guy up. I say a substantial one.

CEH flip is a good point though.

Guice is only a sophomore now. I'd certainly agree that he's talented enough to leave as a junior, but he could also get hurt or have something else happen that allows him to come back as a senior. I read your post to mean Guice wouldn't be there at all next year, when he will be the RB for Akers freshmen season at very least, with a small chance of being there the year after as well.

PonderThis1
12-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Gone after next year is what I was meaning. Should've worded differently

PonderThis1
12-03-2016, 03:13 PM
And I understand what you guys are saying but if he's as good as he's supposed to be, then I think the drop off will hurt LSU which will give us that more of a chance to beat them. Obviously it would help OM more but but didn't we just beat them by 5 TDs?

msstate7
12-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Since '07, lsu has had 8 RBs drafted and will have LF and guice drafted soon. Urban Meyer is one of the best at getting guys to the NFL and succeeding when there. Akers is a HS QB that will need to learn a new position. Will he seriously pick OM over RB U (lsu) and urban Meyer? If he does, he's either not smart or someone pimped him out. If he had been a RB all along, it would make a little (not much tough) sense. He's gonna need coaching to learn a new position though

Tbonewannabe
12-03-2016, 03:15 PM
If Akers chooses UNM does the NCAA give him a really hard look? See if his mom changes jobs, moves to Oxford, or he starts driving a new car.

Reason2succeed
12-03-2016, 03:16 PM
The only ones that I want to commit to OM are NCAA investigators and maybe Satan.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 03:16 PM
And I understand what you guys are saying but if he's as good as he's supposed to be, then I think the drop off will hurt LSU which will give us that more of a chance to beat them. Obviously it would help OM more but but didn't we just beat them by 5 TDs?

What LSU does at the RB position will have virtually no effect on us beating them. What they do at the QB position will

HSVDawg
12-03-2016, 03:17 PM

We also have lost to LSU by a total of 5 points the last 2 seasons while they had Leonard Fournette. And that is with pretty much zero offensive output in either game. Akers isn't Fournette. I'm not worried any more about LSU with Akers than I will worry if he goes elsewhere.

ETA: Akers is at least the 4th or 5th RB from MS just in the last 15-20 years to be the "best since Dupree". Brian Darden, Dontae Walker, and Jerious Norwood all had similar comparisons. Norwood was the only one who wasn't a complete flop. And while he was a great RB for us, he was nothing close to a once in a generation, transcendent talent by any means. Long story short, people need to quit with the hyperbole and lofty comparisons until these kids actually take some snaps in college.

ShotgunDawg
12-03-2016, 03:27 PM
EL OH EL. So what does this mean for his visits & recruitment? Not visiting OM this weekend.

http://i.imgur.com/XqaNYuB.jpg

msstate7
12-03-2016, 03:53 PM
We also have lost to LSU by a total of 5 points the last 2 seasons while they had Leonard Fournette. And that is with pretty much zero offensive output in either game. Akers isn't Fournette. I'm not worried any more about LSU with Akers than I will worry if he goes elsewhere.

ETA: Akers is at least the 4th or 5th RB from MS just in the last 15-20 years to be the "best since Dupree". Brian Darden, Dontae Walker, and Jerious Norwood all had similar comparisons. Norwood was the only one who wasn't a complete flop. And while he was a great RB for us, he was nothing close to a once in a generation, transcendent talent by any means. Long story short, people need to quit with the hyperbole and lofty comparisons until these kids actually take some snaps in college.

I wouldn't say walker was a flop. His senior year certainly tainted his image though

MedDawg
12-03-2016, 04:16 PM
If Akers chooses UNM does the NCAA give him a really hard look? See if his mom changes jobs, moves to Oxford, or he starts driving a new car.

OM NOA Part III: Revelations

TNDawg35
12-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Any chance Coach O is pitching him (Akers) to be their Dual Threat QB he is wanting so bad and talked about in his presser when he got hired? Or is this kid going straight RB?

Spiderman
12-03-2016, 07:00 PM

It won't happen but I want him to go to Ohio St or FSU

Cooterpoot
12-03-2016, 07:03 PM
Akers isn't close to the RB Guice is. Not close.

lamont
12-03-2016, 07:04 PM
Any chance Coach O is pitching him (Akers) to be their Dual Threat QB he is wanting so bad and talked about in his presser when he got hired? Or is this kid going straight RB?

I think he is John Franklin III as a QB
I think he is Guice as a RB

Commercecomet24
12-03-2016, 07:11 PM

Agree completely. Akers is good no doubt but saying he's better than Dupree just no. Dupree was Bo, Herschel type back, generational. I know they're trying to hype Akers but come on, just say he's a great back without the Dupree comparisons.

LC Dawg
12-03-2016, 07:37 PM
Agree completely. Akers is good no doubt but saying he's better than Dupree just no. Dupree was Bo, Herschel type back, generational. I know they're trying to hype Akers but come on, just say he's a great back without the Dupree comparisons.

I agree. If Dupree didn't leave Oklahoma he probably would have won a Heisman. I know Akers is good but that's a little too much.

msbulldog
12-03-2016, 07:39 PM
The only ones that I want to commit to OM are NCAA investigators and maybe Satan.

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!

preachermatt83
12-03-2016, 07:47 PM
It won't happen but I want him to go to Ohio St or FSU

OM ppl say it's between them and FSU. Ppl close to Cam say it's OM.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2016, 07:52 PM

If they do this they are dumb. He is a straight up RB playing QB. I am not that impressed with his passing.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 07:54 PM
If they do this they are dumb. He is a straight up RB playing QB. I am not that impressed with his passing.

If he does stay in the sec, I'd love Akers to play qb. Wanna know what happens when a great talent plays out of position? It's like Malik Newman playing pg

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2016, 07:55 PM

OM people are wrong. I know some people close to him that's not saying that.

preachermatt83
12-03-2016, 07:56 PM

What makes you say this? Not saying your wrong I'm just curious.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2016, 08:01 PM
What makes you say this? Not saying your wrong I'm just curious.

I wouldn't put FSU in the top 3. These are probably the same OM people that were pumping up his OV this weekend when he never told them he was for sure coming. Could he pick OM sure but all of this he's a lock to OM is not what I'm hearing. Again I guess we'll see who's right in a few weeks.

Spiderman
12-03-2016, 08:08 PM

Oh, I think it is OM too. They have "invested" a lot of time and effort. But can OM fulfill all it's "promises" of a New Normal

Jack Lambert
12-03-2016, 08:12 PM
After talking to a current players parents I wish someone would have taken his parents photo last night.

Commercecomet24
12-03-2016, 08:14 PM

Yep!

Spiderman
12-03-2016, 08:17 PM
After talking to a current players parents I wish someone would have taken his parents photo last night.

Why's that?

lamont
12-03-2016, 08:17 PM
We'll certainly bump this thread on signing day

Noxdog
12-03-2016, 08:28 PM

But is CA not an EE????

Ifyouonlyknew
12-03-2016, 08:33 PM

I agree. I'm not batting 1.000 & could very well be wrong but listening to multiple people I trust this Akers is done to OM talk I just don't hear.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 08:35 PM

What's your prediction?

RC3
12-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Bama

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-03-2016, 08:53 PM
What's your prediction?

Doesnt matter. If Akers is an early enrollee then Randoms credibility went out the window by saying he wants this bumped on NSD.

bulldawg28
12-03-2016, 09:38 PM
It doesn't matter where he goes he'll be a good/decent RB. Nothing we won't see weekly in the SEC. He's no Fournette. Donte Walker was and is the best RB to come through Clinton.

Offshore Dawg
12-03-2016, 10:04 PM
If he goes there somebody needs to check the bank account

I_Spy
12-03-2016, 10:27 PM
If he went there it would have to be money. Shea Patterson went away quietly. You can say 3 games, one was a dilapidated Tamu D and a backup QB look at the other freshman QB's. OM made us look Bama strong. Supposedly they had talented people but you wouldn't know it. Even Kelly was playing for both sides nearly every game. Interception wise at terrible moments.

Surely this would bring more NCAA heat. They were last. The Def co hire may have been spectacular, not real sure but whatever.