PDA

View Full Version : Coach Sherrill say: run the football

PassInterference
09-04-2013, 02:03 PM
http://mississippistate.247sports.com/Article/Former-MSU-coach-Jackie-Sherrill-gives-thoughts-on-MSU-opener-147459

Good article from Sherrill. Says we need to focus on our strengths and that ought to be running the football. Also says the Dak attack may be our best offense due to the focus on running.

Thick
09-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Damn I hope Dan is listening or reading!!!!

Coach34
09-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Welcome Coach Sherrill to #TeamDak

Coach34
09-04-2013, 02:33 PM
2 things Sherrill said is exactly what myself and a few others have been saying:

1. Switching to Dakota can make our offense better. If you dont have a great passing game, then you better have a QB that can run and throw. With the inexperience we have at WR- we arent going to have a great passing game.

2. Lean on your offensive strengths- the OL and RB's

quickstrike2
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I agree with this. I think Dak makes our offense better. I don't dislike Tyler, he is the better passer, but its not putting points on the board. I think Dak's running ability give our offense a better chance to score. I'm not sure we will ever at MSU be able to be a pass first team.

PMDawg
09-04-2013, 02:49 PM
2 things Sherrill said is exactly what myself and a few others have been saying:

1. Switching to Dakota can make our offense better. If you dont have a great passing game, then you better have a QB that can run and throw. With the inexperience we have at WR- we arent going to have a great passing game.

While I agree with you on the principles, No. 2 is what really has me nervous about our season. We had a lot of 3rd and shorts that we were not able to convert with runs on Saturday. I understand and agree that using Dak & more creative calls will help, but the fact that we couldn't get 2 or 3 yards on 3rd down against a bend don't break defense that gave up tons of yards and first downs last year has me worried. Perhaps their new DC and his philosophy have changed their defense so much that they will do this to a lot of opponents. I'm willing to wait and see on that, but I expect an above average SEC OL to be able to get that first down more often than not when it's 3rd and 2 or 3. We were 2 for 16 and a lot of those were us getting stuffed on 3rd and short runs.

Johnson85
09-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I expect an above average SEC OL to be able to get that first down more often than not when it's 3rd and 2 or 3.

We are not an above average SEC OL. I think they're physically below average. They're solid as a unit, but other than Jackson, there's not a particular standout run blocker I don't think.

angusyoung
09-04-2013, 03:07 PM

this is the reason Relf made our offense what it was even though he wasn't very good as a pure qb. He was good enough to make a few throws when it really mattered and then he opened up our read offense. Dak, or any running qb that can make a couple throws (Tebow), will always make this offense look way better than it does without.

PendingTransaction
09-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't exactly say that our OL is a strength, especially in the SEC. I hope that Dak can bring enough to offset this weakness. If we don't run for 350 yards against Alcorn, we won't win a single SEC game.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 03:25 PM
While I agree with you on the principles, No. 2 is what really has me nervous about our season. We had a lot of 3rd and shorts that we were not able to convert with runs on Saturday. I understand and agree that using Dak & more creative calls will help, but the fact that we couldn't get 2 or 3 yards on 3rd down against a bend don't break defense that gave up tons of yards and first downs last year has me worried. Perhaps their new DC and his philosophy have changed their defense so much that they will do this to a lot of opponents. I'm willing to wait and see on that, but I expect an above average SEC OL to be able to get that first down more often than not when it's 3rd and 2 or 3. We were 2 for 16 and a lot of those were us getting stuffed on 3rd and short runs.

Ok State was 37th in the country vs the rush last year- and returned 5 of 7 starters in their front 7- plus a new DC. And our creativity was non-existent- it's easy to defend stuff you know is coming

If we get back to what we ran with Relf- Dakota will be very successful on offense. We have better talent at WR than what Relf had in 2010- when Bump and crew were Sophs.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 03:28 PM
We are not an above average SEC OL. I think they're physically below average. They're solid as a unit, but other than Jackson, there's not a particular standout run blocker I don't think.

All this was said about our OL in 2008- and then we were 2nd in the SEC in rushing in 2009. Our OL looks like crap because defenses know wtf we are going to run and the lack of imagination in the offense. We dont do anything to set up a counter play- so it doesnt trick anybody or get them to take a false step- which is what is supposed to make the counter play effective.

We have a 1st round draft pick at LG
Center is on the Rimington Watch list
And the other 3 arent bad players at all.

The OL needs help with creativity and double teams at the point of attack like other offenses do

PendingTransaction
09-04-2013, 03:35 PM
All I know is I saw OSU #48 DE beat the hell out of Siddoway two plays in a row. Several plays I saw no push in the middle; hell, it looked like we were pass blocking.

PMDawg
09-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok State was 37th in the country vs the rush last year- and returned 5 of 7 starters in their front 7- plus a new DC. And our creativity was non-existent- it's easy to defend stuff you know is coming

If we get back to what we ran with Relf- Dakota will be very successful on offense. We have better talent at WR than what Relf had in 2010- when Bump and crew were Sophs.

you are correct. and this is why I'm waiting before I pass judgment on the OL. But, I'm still nervous until they show me something.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 07:06 PM

Yeah, but Coach, we do have to consider the conference they played in as well. Not exactly known for running the football over there these days.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Yeah, but Coach, we do have to consider the conference they played in as well. Not exactly known for running the football over there these days.

Ohhhh reallyyyyyy?

They played these rushing offenses: (Ok State was 21st)

Baylor 14th
Arizona 15th
Kansas 22nd
K-State 32nd
WV 52nd
Texas 53rd

Big 12 had 4 of the top 32 rushing teams....SEC had A&M 11th, Bammer 16th- only 2 teams to make the top 38 in rushing

archdog
09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
We didn't try a read option, option sweep, or any type of screen pass.

Maroonthirteen
09-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Yes, this what I see/saw as well. Watching the replay on CSS. Siddoway might as well not be in there. We got no push on short yardage. On the 3rd and 2, Dak package in the 3rd Q, their DL whipped our ass. If the OL is our strength, we bench the bar.

Also, if they blitz, we haven't a clue. Which isn't all on the OL. But I doubt we see many blitzes after the pressure OSU got rushing 3-4. I just hope OSUs DL is bad ass. Probably not but we better hope they are.

Bubb Rubb
09-05-2013, 07:57 AM
We didn't try a read option, option sweep, or any type of screen pass.

We ran the read option several times, and we threw a few screen passes. Russell's interception was off a screen pass to Perkins that he rushed.

Just sayin'.