PDA

View Full Version : Re: Jim Leavitt & OM Fans

BeastMan
12-02-2016, 11:26 PM
I keep seeing OM fans talking about Leavitt like he's a legit target for their DC spot. Do they realize that Wommack retired at age 60 and Leavitt turns 60 in 3 days? The guy has been coaching since '78. He's a X & O guy but not a recruiter. Hard to recruit when you lost the South Florida HC job for punching a player. Further, he and Mac just got Colorado turned around and playing for the Pac 12 title. Why would he leave Colorado for a school mired in a NCAA investigation that just finished dead last in their division?

Jarius
12-02-2016, 11:27 PM
They also think Randy Shannon will come be the DC and Wes McGriff will come take the same job at OM that he has at auburn.

BeastMan
12-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Randy Shannon is currently the associate HC at Florida and in the running for a HC job at FAU. Pipe dream.

Wesley McGriff is a legitimate option imo and is a hell of a recruiter. What I'd worry about is a guy who is an ace recruiter but hasn't been a DC in 26 years of coaching. That's telling.

lamont
12-02-2016, 11:39 PM
Because they have a pretty campus

Jarius
12-02-2016, 11:41 PM
Randy Shannon is currently the associate HC at Florida and in the running for a HC job at FAU. Pipe dream.

Wesley McGriff is a legitimate option imo and is a hell of a recruiter. What I'd worry about is a guy who is an ace recruiter but hasn't been a DC in 26 years of coaching. That's telling.

McGriff is a legit option to be the DC. He isn't a legit option to be the DB coach which is what they think they are getting him for.

BeastMan
12-02-2016, 11:43 PM
If it's not McGriff, I'm expecting a retread guy. Somebody like Vic Koenning.

Really Clark?
12-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Tim Deruyter was just fired. See where he ends up. They don't have many options but have to hope someone can fall to them. And McGriff as DC or Co-DC with perks is what they will have to offer for him.

BeastMan
12-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Tim Deruyter was just fired. See where he ends up. They don't have many options but have to hope someone can fall to them. And McGriff as DC or Co-DC with perks is what they will have to offer for him.

McGriff has always been a Co-DC. Would he really leave the Auburn to go to the bottom of the division unless it was an outright DC job?

ETA- Deruyter is a Cali guy whose only venture to anywhere near the south was pre-SEC A&M. Don't think he's the right fit.

Really Clark?
12-02-2016, 11:55 PM
McGriff has always been a Co-DC. Would he really leave the Auburn to go to the bottom of the division unless it was an outright DC job?

ETA- Deruyter is a Cali guy whose only venture to anywhere near the south was pre-SEC A&M. Don't think he's the right fit.

Just throwing out a retread type name. I don't he does either but when the carousel stops who is left without a job may be the guy. And what I mean as far as perks is some sort of play calling or planning that gets him credit as a DC for the future. Otherwise I agree, he is not leaving AU

BeastMan
12-03-2016, 12:02 AM
Just throwing out a retread type name. I don't he does either but when the carousel stops who is left without a job may be the guy. And what I mean as far as perks is some sort of play calling or planning that gets him credit as a DC for the future. Otherwise I agree, he is not leaving AU

He's definitely a retread. What's Carl Torbush up to lol

Really Clark?
12-03-2016, 12:04 AM
He's definitely a retread. What's Carl Torbush up to lol

Haha. Is he still head coach at East Tenn St?

BeastMan
12-03-2016, 12:10 AM
I'm not sure who the DC ends up being but I bet you Freeze wants Melvin Smith, Trooper Taylor, and Brick Haley.

Todd4State
12-03-2016, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure who the DC ends up being but I bet you Freeze wants Melvin Smith, Trooper Taylor, and Brick Haley.

If you add in David Saunders that would be the bagman trinity.

Martianlander
12-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Wade Phillips is interested ****

Dawgfan77
12-03-2016, 09:12 AM
Throwing out these names is great speculation but what happens this spring when the NCAA brings sanctions and they have to clean house. My thoughts are they are going to have a difficult time making any hire

msstate7
12-03-2016, 09:51 AM
Throwing out these names is great speculation but what happens this spring when the NCAA brings sanctions and they have to clean house. My thoughts are they are going to have a difficult time making any hire

Once the hammer falls, jay hopson will be the HC is my prediction

msbulldog
12-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Once the hammer falls, jay hopson will be the HC is my prediction

The USM buzzards would probably be glad to see him go, he's not doing very good down there.

was21
12-03-2016, 10:24 AM
Rumor on Hopson is that he's a lazy recruiter....and maybe lazy....period

CadaverDawg
12-03-2016, 10:52 AM
Apparently little Womack > Leavitt, Shannon, Gruden, etc