PDA

View Full Version : For you young pups who weren't there for the Dick Pace screwing in 1981

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Pretty much "settled science" that this was the worst call in Egg Bowl history...probably the worst in MSU's football history.

It is said that years later, Dick Pace wrote a letter of apology for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DocxZM1lQEg

Dallas_Dawg
12-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Before my time but I've heard about it. That's just terrible after seeing it for myself.
What is Pace's connection to OM? $$$ or something else?
Is the bastard still alive?

Joe Schmedlap
12-02-2016, 08:26 PM
Before my time but I've heard about it. That's just terrible after seeing it for myself.
What is Pace's connection to OM? $$$ or something else?
Is the bastard still alive?

He is worm dirt.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I wss 16 and sitting in that end zone with friends. Worst call
I've ever seen. Just awful. And then that turd fourcade got to score the game winner. Unm must have a corner on the market for getting douchebag qbs!

Correction douchebag people!

starkvegasdawg
12-02-2016, 08:42 PM
That was horrible. I'd like to ask if he was fired for that but I know better.

SailingDawg
12-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Happened right in front of me as a freshman in college. Mixed a Jack and Coke at the concession stand in front of everyone. Traumatic.

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 08:49 PM
Thaty was 1 of 4 losses that year...this 4-point, another 3-point, a 1-point and an 11-point. We had a damn good team that year.

Goldendawg
12-02-2016, 08:58 PM
I was there, 25 years old, MSU Class of '77. Used to hate those 4 hr drives to Jackson to watch State. More games at Jackson than on campus in those days. Did Pace really write a letter of apology and if so he is still unforgiven by me.

IMissJack
12-02-2016, 09:04 PM
I was there, 25 years old, MSU Class of '77. Used to hate those 4 hr drives to Jackson to watch State. More games at Jackson than on campus in those days. Did Pace really write a letter of apology and if so he is still unforgiven by me.

Some games in Jackson were great in those days, because the campus stadium was so small. My Dad took me and my brother to the MSU vs. Navy Game in Jackson in early '80's, and is one of my favorite games because we were all together there. John Bond ran about a 80 yd. TD on the first play of the game. Also, for those that were there, the lowest and loudest flyover ever!!! There were probably some heart attacks when that plane hit the afterburner.

Spiderman
12-02-2016, 09:05 PM
Pretty much "settled science" that this was the worst call in Egg Bowl history...probably the worst in MSU's football history.

Absolutely ripped my 11 yr old guts out. was sitting on about the 35 on that end. Saw it clear as day. Never saw as many fights in the stands and outside the stadium as I did that year. I hope that ref died a bleeding anal death from butt aids.

Edited to add... never could figure out who tried to take out #74's fat ass shooting our sidelines the double birds at the :30 mark but he will drink free with me every time.

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 09:10 PM
Happened right in front of me as a freshman in college. Mixed a Jack and Coke at the concession stand in front of everyone. Traumatic.

Me too. I was standing near the 10 yard-line. Outrageous call, and the reason Dick Pace is one of the most despised people in MSU history.

oldwave
12-02-2016, 09:13 PM

Saw it with my Sophomore eyes. Still makes me sick to see it again. **** Dick Pace.

lamont
12-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Biggest cheat job Ive ever witnessed in sports. He literally just flat out cheated. Pace had some connection to OM- I just cant remember what it was.

I'm glad he is dead and I hope his death was painful.

benbow
12-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Indeed the worst moment ever in the anals of the battle for the Golden Egg. I was sitting right there. I have many Ole Miss friends and never did one try to defend that call. They merely laughed about it. As I understand it years later and totally unrelated Dick Pace took his on life.

Goldendawg
12-02-2016, 09:21 PM
I will admit as a boy enjoying some of the double header games in those days. Of course, my late Dad and I would pull for whoever was playing UNM. Dad got a teenage friend and I sideline passes right with the MSU players against Florida one year. They had John Reeves at QB and Carlos Alvarez at WR. I think we lost 42 -35. High scoring game back then.

Goldendawg
12-02-2016, 09:22 PM
BTW, John Forcade was a jerk then and continued the pattern later. Early UNM mercenary.

GTHOM
12-02-2016, 09:30 PM
How in the hell

lamont
12-02-2016, 09:33 PM
BTW, John Forcade was a jerk then and continued the pattern later. Early UNM mercenary.

Until I die- the day Fourcade and I end up in the same room- there will be a fight. I dont give a shit that we are Eskimo brothers

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 09:34 PM
I think that was the year I and a few of my friends got onto the field pre-game with a "Rebel" doll that had a noose around its neck. We ran up to the goal post and threw the rope over the cross bar. It didn't quite go far enough, so I started jumping up in an attempt to snag the rope and yank it down. Missed it the first couple of times, but when I finally got it and yanked that Rebel doll, making him swing from the crossbar, there was a roar from the State side of the stadium.

Anybody here that was there and remembers that?

lamont
12-02-2016, 09:35 PM
How in the hell

So when people ask how Bama can go 7 football games without a holding penalty- you see how the SEC operates historically.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2016, 09:36 PM
That was my freshman year. I was 10 rows up right above the play. Our guy was beat, he never touched the Confederate till the Confederate jumped into him because FOUrcade underthrew the ball. Still the worst call I ever saw.

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2016, 09:37 PM
I think that was the year I and a few of my friends got onto the field pre-game with a "Rebel" doll that had a noose around its neck. We ran up to the goal post and threw the rope over the cross bar. It didn't quite go far enough, so I started jumping up in an attempt to snag the rope and yank it down. Missed it the first couple of times, but when I finally got it and yanked that Rebel doll, making him swing from the crossbar, there was a roar from the State side of the stadium.

Anybody here that was there and remembers that?

I do!

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 09:42 PM
I do!

Small world.

The security guard at that entrance to the field was blocking our way...but he was a State fan, so when we told him what we were planning to do, he told us to hurry up so we wouldn't get in trouble, and let us on the field.

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 09:48 PM
As I recall, even OM fans hated Fourcade until after that game. He was a real prick. Conceited, even by UNM standards.

Coursesuper
12-02-2016, 09:49 PM
I was there I was a senior in high school it was miserable.

Mutt the Hoople
12-02-2016, 10:09 PM
I know several folks who went to school with John Fourcade at Ole Miss. They couldn't stand him. I do wonder if it was because he was a Cajun boy stuck in Pretty Land.

Had an interesting conversation with George MacIntyre, former Head Coach at Vanderbilt. He couldn't stand Fourcade either, was very happy when they beat Ole Miss for Vandy's first conference win in 3 years. Anyway, he was speaking at a Fellowship of christian athletes function at Clemson. He said that John Fourcade became a Christian.

Afterwards, I spoke with him asked, "REALLY?" Coach MacIntyre said yes he became a Christian.

That was back in 1986, so I don't know if it really took or not. Just an interesting story.

Political Hack
12-02-2016, 10:14 PM
55-20 is all that matters right now. All this other crap is unnecessarily depressing.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I know several folks who went to school with John Fourcade at Ole Miss. They couldn't stand him. I do wonder if it was because he was a Cajun boy stuck in Pretty Land.

Had an interesting conversation with George MacIntyre, former Head Coach at Vanderbilt. He couldn't stand Fourcade either, was very happy when they beat Ole Miss for Vandy's first conference win in 3 years. Anyway, he was speaking at a Fellowship of christian athletes function at Clemson. He said that John Fourcade became a Christian.

Afterwards, I spoke with him asked, "REALLY?" Coach MacIntyre said yes he became a Christian.

That was back in 1986, so I don't know if it really took or not. Just an interesting story.
Well, being an asshole and being a Christian aren't mutually exclusive. People can be both...

tcdog70
12-02-2016, 10:18 PM
PI in the end end zone, and the ball was placed on the two. The next year it was a 15 yard penalty from the previous spot. Dick Pace was right there with Hitler.

lastmajordog
12-02-2016, 11:31 PM
That was horrible. I'd like to ask if he was fired for that but I know better.

To my knowledge he was never a ref again but was relegated to the chain gang, I may be wrong. Sad thing is Bellard to lost several to TCUN that should not have been close enough to lose...lesson to be learned is PUT TEAMS AWAY and don?t take your foot off the gas. I showed this video to my son this year along with the Unholy Deflection that he had heard about but never seen......he literally had his jaw drop open on both videos. Kind of strange but I’m an old DOG and there have been more bad calls involving Bama than TCUN or LSU despite common perception Even so I think John Fourcade with the off lineman we had would have fit right in....he was a tough S.O.C..(coonarss).

redstickdawg
12-03-2016, 08:16 AM
I remember that play all too well. We should not have been close as we were the much better team. Rainy cold day in Jackson and we should never ever play home games away from Starkville.

Schultzy
12-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Biggest cheat job Ive ever witnessed in sports. He literally just flat out cheated. Pace had some connection to OM- I just cant remember what it was.

I'm glad he is dead and I hope his death was painful.
His wife worked in the OM ticket office, don't know for how long.

Kenneth Johnson, 1st team All-American plus an All-Pro for the Falcons was the DB on the play said it was the worst call he'd ever been associated with at any level.

benbow
12-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Michael Harmon, the Ole Miss receiver from Kosciusko at the time laughed when he said after the game that when he saw Pace throw the flag Harmon thought it was him they were calling interference on. He couldn't believe it when it went the other way.

J Paul Ronvonski III
12-03-2016, 12:05 PM

I was 14 years old and remember listening to it on the radio. That was a sickening feeling that day knowing we got beat on a rigged call.

Bully13
12-03-2016, 12:40 PM
It's actually worse than what yall think. I was in the end zone right on top of the play. If you notice, the flag was thrown right after the int. Dick is quoted in the paper the next day saying the interference was a push off right before the 2 players entered the end zone. He's the lowest form of ********** that ever officiated.