PDA

View Full Version : Is Shumpert our best running back?

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2013, 12:30 PM
There have been rumblings that Shumpert may be our best back. If so, and with the top two running backs in Mississippi coming in next season, why redshirt him?

We need to start going balls to the wall in an effort to win and stop playing and coaching with one hand tied behind our backs.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
No, JRob is- next question?

DapperDawg
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
I think Robinson is our best back. He looked faster, quicker and stronger than Perkins. I didn't pay attention to blocking, but I saw Perkins miss a blitzer coming from the middle that led to a sack or busted play.

It doesn't matter who our best player is, though, because Mullen will show favoritism to his more veteran players.

CJDAWG85
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
JRob by far is the best RB we have. Perk is more of outside the tackles type back. Good on screens passes out in the flat. Not very good between the tackles.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Robinson should see at least twice as many touches as he is getting. I was actually glad to see us use Perkins more in the passing game, but we still need to use him between the tackles less. And considering the fact that Jameon was less than impressive to me, I would use Perkins in the slot some as well.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Robinson should see at least twice as many touches as he is getting. I was actually glad to see us use Perkins more in the passing game, but we still need to use him between the tackles less. And considering the fact that Jameon was less than impressive to me, I would use Perkins in the slot some as well.

Perkins in slot ....I agree

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I agree Robinson is better than Perkins, but how do you guys know that Robinson is better than Shumpert? You haven't even seen Shumpert play. Anyway, I'm just repeating what I hear.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree Robinson is better than Perkins, but how do you guys know that Robinson is better than Shumpert? You haven't even seen Shumpert play. Anyway, I'm just repeating what I hear.

And I'm repeating what I've heard from 2 different people at practice and scrimmages. Shumpert is going to be good- but JRob is the best we have right now. And the thing is- Perkins can end up being drafted- because the NFL will use him correctly. We however, refuse to.

fishwater99
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Mullen loves seniors, just see TR and Perkins. Unless we need help at safety, I say redshirt Shumpert.
Let him get bigger and faster, we don't have a chance to win 8 games this year with or without him...

War Machine Dawg
09-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Considering Shump is running 4th behind Perk, J-Rob, and Griff, the obvious answer is "No." Seriously, where do you people get this stuff? J-Rob is our best back right now and it's not even close. He's strong, fast, and has a low center of gravity. He initiates contact and always falls forward for extra yardage. The only other guy who can consistently do that is Griffin, and he's less than 8 months removed from a second torn ACL. Shump may be impressive for a freshman, but unless he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson (he isn't), then he needs to redshirt. His time to shine will be next season, splitting carries with J-Rob.

PendingTransaction
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
If we have 2 backs that have proven that they can run the ball and do all the other things that are required to be a complete back better than Perkins, then Mullen is inept. I would wager that those other backs are not doing some things right.

quickstrike2
09-04-2013, 02:00 PM
I think JRob is our best back. Love Perkins in the screen game and throwing to him in the flats. I am beyond tired of him between the tackles.

Goat Holder
09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Josh Robinson and Nick Griffin are the guys that should be lining up at RB. At this point, I'm all about lining up Perkins at WR with Robert Johnson and Jameon Lewis. Maximize talent.

BHildreth3
09-04-2013, 02:33 PM
And I'm repeating what I've heard from 2 different people at practice and scrimmages. Shumpert is going to be good- but JRob is the best we have right now. And the thing is- Perkins can end up being drafted- because the NFL will use him correctly. We however, refuse to.

Pathetic that we don't use him as a 'secondary' back - wheel routes, screen and shit.

Boodawg
09-04-2013, 02:37 PM
What are you guys hearing about Griffin? I would love to see him get some carries. LSU comes to mind when I think about Griffin. What are folks from practice saying about him?

Bothrops
09-04-2013, 03:04 PM
JRob is only better at handling initial contact. Perkins is more explosive, although not as quick as he once was. I think Shumpert will be our best rb, as soon as next year. I don't know if the staff feels safe about playing Griffin. Does anyone know if he's 100 percent?

Political Hack
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
JRob has the best vision on the team, best feet on the team, best low center or gravity, smallest tackling space, etc...

he's got everything he needs to be our #1 except the carries.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Next season Robinson, nick, shump, and aeris are going to something. Really hope we start now letting dak run zone read.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Our last 2 games:

Perkins- 35 carries, 134 yards

JRob- 15 carries, 139 yards

msstate7
09-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Our last 2 games:

Perkins- 35 carries, 134 yards

JRob- 15 carries, 139 yards

That is pathetic. LP is our most dynamic play maker and we use him like Ron dayne.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 03:52 PM
LaDarius Dayne

Coach34
09-04-2013, 03:57 PM
#FreeJRob

msstate7
09-04-2013, 03:58 PM
#FreeJRob

Yes. By doing so, we'd free LP to be the playmaker we need.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Considering Shump is running 4th behind Perk, J-Rob, and Griff, the obvious answer is "No." Seriously, where do you people get this stuff? J-Rob is our best back right now and it's not even close. He's strong, fast, and has a low center of gravity. He initiates contact and always falls forward for extra yardage. The only other guy who can consistently do that is Griffin, and he's less than 8 months removed from a second torn ACL. Shump may be impressive for a freshman, but unless he's the second coming of Adrian Peterson (he isn't), then he needs to redshirt. His time to shine will be next season, splitting carries with J-Rob.

If there is one thing I have learned this year- the depth chart is totally unreliable when it comes to who is actually better.