PDA

View Full Version : I don't think anybodys wanting to play navy in a bowl

Bully13
12-02-2016, 05:18 PM
They have a right to have a chip on their shoulders.

Interesting read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/12/02/navy-is-the-best-college-football-story-going-and-a-nuisance-to-bowl-officials/?utm_term=.6dc30da46b3b

Todd4State
12-02-2016, 05:46 PM
It's more about the committee wanting to send out bowl invites than hating Navy. The solution is simple- play Army/Navy game on Thabksgiving.

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Got their ass kicked by USF

Lost by 2 TDs to Air Force

Only beat 3-9 UConn by 4

Only beat 4-8 Tulane by 7

Only beat 4-8 ND by 1

Only beat Tulsa by 2

Only beat Houston by 6.

0-2 vs AP T25.

One of their wins vs FCS Fordham.

Navy looks like a good team....but one to be feared above many others?

We have struggled with tackling...but looked better vs aTm and UNM.

We have been particularly bad vs the pass.

Wyoming passes twice as much as Navy. Wyoming beat the same AF team that beat Navy by 2 TDs.

SDSU passes the ball almost 3 times as much as Navy.

Look, I understand why some folks are shitting their drawers at the thought of playing Navy...but let's at least consider that we do have the personnel and 2 weeks to prepare for that offense. Let's also consider that we are better defensively vs the run than we are vs the pass. Finally, let's consider that Navy's defense does not match up well with our offense.

We would have to be down by a helluva lot to be out of the game vs them...but if our offense gets up by a decent amount on them, they're in bigger trouble.

Not saying I want NAvy....but I'm damn sure not scared to play them. I think the overall matchup favors us. Think our O would be more unstoppable vs their D than their O would be vs ours.

klong-dog
12-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Does Navy beat Temple tomorrow? They're a 3 pt fav.

blacklistedbully
12-02-2016, 06:23 PM
Also, Navy did put 75 on SMU....but then 5 teams put 40 or more on SMU.

Navy did hang 66 on ECU...but then SMU put 55 on them and 5 teams put 45 or more on them, including two that put 54 & 55.

They have just 3 wins vs FBS teams with winning records. Margins:

4 points
7 points
14 points

Vs USF, Navy was down 28-0 in first Q....42-14 at the half...45-21 after 3. USF went up 52-27 midway through the 4th Q, then coasted as Navy scored 21 in garbage time.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2016, 07:39 PM
If Western Michigan wins tonight to get to 13-0, they should get the Cotton Bowl bid above Navy. Seems pretty open-and-shut.

And starting next year, they've got to move the Army-Navy game sometime earlier in the year. They only started playing the weekend after conference championships in 2009 -- it's not some longstanding tradition or anything. Thanksgiving sounds good to me, or whatever other time the schools want.

was21
12-02-2016, 08:27 PM
They would bust their gonads to beat an SEC team..the rest is minutia

smootness
12-02-2016, 09:38 PM
It's not everyone else's fault they scheduled this game so late. If they're not ranked high enough come Monday, sorry. The college football world doesn't have to wait just because they decided they wanted to play Dec. 12.

Todd4State
12-02-2016, 09:42 PM
It's not everyone else's fault they scheduled this game so late. If they're not ranked high enough come Monday, sorry. The college football world doesn't have to wait just because they decided they wanted to play Dec. 12.

I kind of see the point that all the games should factor. But I don't think the committee people ever envisioned Army or Navy being a legit contender for the NY6. So, maybe this is good that this is happening now because my guess is Western Michigan wins as they are now, they go to the Cotton but maybe changes are made for the future so that something delayed doesn't happen.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-03-2016, 12:46 AM
If Western Michigan wins tonight to get to 13-0, they should get the Cotton Bowl bid above Navy. Seems pretty open-and-shut.

And starting next year, they've got to move the Army-Navy game sometime earlier in the year. They only started playing the weekend after conference championships in 2009 -- it's not some longstanding tradition or anything. Thanksgiving sounds good to me, or whatever other time the schools want.

So you're saying the cadets should forego one of the few breaks they get during the year so the game can be played on Thanksgiving?

Todd4State
12-03-2016, 01:09 AM
So you're saying the cadets should forego one of the few breaks they get during the year so the game can be played on Thanksgiving?

I have a good friend that went to West Point (not Point City- the Military Academy) and the only time he went back to Mississippi was Christmas. I think the fact that they have a break makes it even more perfect for the game to be played over Thanksgiving. I would imagine most of their students don’t go very far over Thanksgiving.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-03-2016, 01:46 AM
I have a good friend that went to West Point (not Point City- the Military Academy) and the only time he went back to Mississippi was Christmas. I think the fact that they have a break makes it even more perfect for the game to be played over Thanksgiving. I would imagine most of their students don’t go very far over Thanksgiving.

Maybe cadets are a bad example, but I will guaranteed all of the faculty that are required would raise seven circles of hell if they had to spend Thanksgiving at the Army Navy game since they will be on duty.

Jarius
12-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Thank you. I've never seen so much sucking off of a team.

Got their ass kicked by USF

Lost by 2 TDs to Air Force

Only beat 3-9 UConn by 4

Only beat 4-8 Tulane by 7

Only beat 4-8 ND by 1

Only beat Tulsa by 2

Only beat Houston by 6.

0-2 vs AP T25.

One of their wins vs FCS Fordham.

Navy looks like a good team....but one to be feared above many others?

We have struggled with tackling...but looked better vs aTm and UNM.

We have been particularly bad vs the pass.

Wyoming passes twice as much as Navy. Wyoming beat the same AF team that beat Navy by 2 TDs.

SDSU passes the ball almost 3 times as much as Navy.

Look, I understand why some folks are shitting their drawers at the thought of playing Navy...but let's at least consider that we do have the personnel and 2 weeks to prepare for that offense. Let's also consider that we are better defensively vs the run than we are vs the pass. Finally, let's consider that Navy's defense does not match up well with our offense.

We would have to be down by a helluva lot to be out of the game vs them...but if our offense gets up by a decent amount on them, they're in bigger trouble.

Not saying I want NAvy....but I'm damn sure not scared to play them. I think the overall matchup favors us. Think our O would be more unstoppable vs their D than their O would be vs ours.

Dawgowar
12-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Maybe cadets are a bad example, but I will guaranteed all of the faculty that are required would raise seven circles of hell if they had to spend Thanksgiving at the Army Navy game since they will be on duty.

Have a father who is a USNA grad and more colleagues than I can count who went to West Point.

The game has always been scheduled after Thanksgiving because it was the only way to get the networks to cover it (prior to this era we are in both schools made about 80% of their athletic budgets from the Army-Navy game and their Notre Dame game revenues), their non-intramural athletics get ZERO tax dollars. A few years back the networks were getting ready to drop them until CBS came to the rescue. It has also become a national tradition that benefits from having little to no viewing competition on the day it is played. There are also Academic reasons for the timing that worked for all involved - exam week at the service Academies is a bit different than what we are used to. In the future they will probably move the game. However for now I think we can cut them some slack given they are going to give us their lives for five years.

You know Jarius/Blacklist - they are not a massively successful program nor intimidating, but considering they got those results with athletes (for the most part) not even USA, ULL, or even Samford would recruit, they have nothing to hang their heads over. Plenty of arrogant teams have taken your attitude and been rung up by their discipline, fundamentals, and fight as a team. On paper they had no business being on the field with ANY of those teams you note. Ask our alum that played Air Force. These academies and their teams truly play the game out of love for the sport. That they are doing well enough to force this debate makes me happy. Wish our kids always played with the fire they did. Sorry to disagree with how you view this situation , you're great dogs. And for the record, I think we would beat them if our offense played well.

msbulldog
12-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Have a father who is a USNA grad and more colleagues than I can count who went to West Point.

The game has always been scheduled after Thanksgiving because it was the only way to get the networks to cover it (prior to this era we are in both schools made about 80% of their athletic budgets from the Army-Navy game and their Notre Dame game revenues), their non-intramural athletics get ZERO tax dollars. A few years back the networks were getting ready to drop them until CBS came to the rescue. It has also become a national tradition that benefits from having little to no viewing competition on the day it is played. There are also Academic reasons for the timing that worked for all involved - exam week at the service Academies is a bit different than what we are used to. In the future they will probably move the game. However for now I think we can cut them some slack given they are going to give us their lives for five years.

You know Jarius/Blacklist - they are not a massively successful program nor intimidating, but considering they got those results with athletes (for the most part) not even USA, ULL, or even Samford would recruit, they have nothing to hang their heads over. Plenty of arrogant teams have taken your attitude and been rung up by their discipline, fundamentals, and fight as a team. On paper they had no business being on the field with ANY of those teams you note. Ask our alum that played Air Force. These academies and their teams truly play the game out of love for the sport. That they are doing well enough to force this debate makes me happy. Wish our kids always played with the fire they did. Sorry to disagree with how you view this situation , you're great dogs. And for the record, I think we would beat them if our offense played well.

I know about their athletic abilities, but I wish our players had the character of their players.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2016, 11:38 AM

They can pick whatever date works for them, but it should be during the regular season, not a week after. Air Force can get all of its games scheduled without any problems. So could Army and Navy as late as 2008.

Jarius
12-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Boy that vaunted Navy team is getting the shit kicked out of them and shut out today by powerhouse Temple early.

msstate7
12-03-2016, 12:52 PM
Boy that vaunted Navy team is getting the shit kicked out of them and shut out today by powerhouse Temple early.

I never bought into the navy is the next closest thing to bama crowd, but temple is a good team. Matt rhule is a great HC

Thick
12-03-2016, 12:54 PM
21-0

msstate7
12-03-2016, 12:56 PM
21-0

We'd score 60+ on navy. They aren't tough enough to stop us running and they can't cover our receivers.

blacklistedbully
12-03-2016, 03:44 PM

Please show me where I have disrespected them. I have NEVER talked down about our military academies. I respect and admire those young men more than ANY other school.

I'm simply pointing out this Navy team is over-hyped, and the ones of us here predicting doom and gloom should we play them are not taking a close look.

I've repeatedly said they are a good team....just not a great team. I've said I think we match up well.

BTW, though you are correct about them not having many elite players, did you know they have 180+ members on their squad because, in the academies, everyone is on scholarship. They literally practice 3 squads at every practice, so their depth, though not elite, is plentiful.