PDA

View Full Version : Great ESPN Article on Fitz

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2016, 11:17 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/124599/mississippi-state-coach-dan-*******-belief-in-nick-fitzgerald-has-paid-off

Also, a nice feature last night on the hometown TV station - great video from his SR year.
http://www.wjcl.com/article/nick-fitzgerald-making-his-mark-at-mississippi-state/8386472

KB21
12-02-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm very interested to see the jump he takes as a passer going into his junior season and subsequently senior season. Two things I definitely want to see him improve upon:

1. Presnap recognition. Too often, he misses the one on one coverage that the presnap coverage read should give him, instead forcing the ball into the flooded coverage side.
2. Deep ball accuracy. It's the hardest pass to throw, but he missed a lot of shots down the field this year.

If he cleans those up, which his size and athleticism, we could be looking at a high draft pick at QB.

Jack Lambert
12-02-2016, 11:42 AM
I'm very interested to see the jump he takes as a passer going into his junior season and subsequently senior season. Two things I definitely want to see him improve upon:

1. Presnap recognition. Too often, he misses the one on one coverage that the presnap coverage read should give him, instead forcing the ball into the flooded coverage side.
2. Deep ball accuracy. It's the hardest pass to throw, but he missed a lot of shots down the field this year.

If he cleans those up, which his size and athleticism, we could be looking at a high draft pick at QB.

If he does he will get the Dak Stigma and not the Tim Tebow one.

preachermatt83
12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Wow, I didn't know he was so comparable with Hurts. Behind a much worse O-line

dawgday166
12-02-2016, 12:00 PM

Pretty impressive isn't it? Especially when he started the season with the team hating him *****

I just hope he keeps working hard. If so the sky is the limit for him IMO.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2016, 12:21 PM
I think one of the key things for Fitz is - where is he academically? The media guide bio lists him as a Finance major - and he has been on Honor Roll. He also was an EE - so he had 1 semester under his belt before most of the current RS Sop. got to campus. He should be a Sr, possibly ready to graduate in Dec. '17 if he has stayed on track. There is a possibility that he could be ready to graduate this May if he took summer classes.

The reason I mention this is that Dak made his biggest leap after he graduated because it allowed him to reduce his course load and essentially get a Masters in QB. If Nick is in a position where he can do the same thing - even if it means something as simple as not having summer classes and he can begin this summer getting that Masters in QB that Dak got - look out.

smootness
12-02-2016, 12:25 PM

Hurts is good, and he's certainly impressive for a true freshman, but he's not that great at this point. He just happens to be Bama's QB.

sorrydog
12-02-2016, 12:53 PM
In 2009 Boobie played for MSU against teams like Alabama and averaged 126.5 rushing/game.
In 2009 Mark Ingram played for Alabama against teams like MSU and averaged 118.4 rushing/game.
Ingram won the Heisman gaining fewer yards against inferior competition.
As always, to the winners go the spoils.

Statecoachingblows**
12-02-2016, 01:01 PM
“That was something I was looking into, and then Coach Mullen said you’re going to be a good quarterback. I’m going to develop you like I’ve developed these other guys before you."

I like that pitch

TaleofTwoDogs
12-02-2016, 01:09 PM

Yea, probably a 4th round pick as a TE. ***

Spiderman
12-02-2016, 01:29 PM

Fitz basically missed a whole game also.

Sacrifice
12-02-2016, 02:02 PM
"He?s not just a quarterback now. He?s one of the best quarterbacks in the SEC."

YES SIR!

SaintDawg
12-02-2016, 02:11 PM
I said some nasty stuff about Fitz at the beginning of the season because I was mad at the whole damn team, City of Starkville and Oktibbeha County in general. It's hard to eat crow when you've already got a foot in your mouth. I'm an ass.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Fitz basically missed a whole game also.

Mullen should have his ass kicked for panicking in the USA game and pulling Fitz. There's no doubt in my mind that if Fitz plays the whole game, we win that one. We're sitting at a minimum of 6 wins, maybe Graves doesn't get the yips.....Hell, it could've been a whole different season. The butterfly effect from that choke job by Mullen was pretty awful.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Mullen should have his ass kicked for panicking in the USA game and pulling Fitz. There's no doubt in my mind that if Fitz plays the whole game, we win that one. We're sitting at a minimum of 6 wins, maybe Graves doesn't get the yips.....Hell, it could've been a whole different season. The butterfly effect from that choke job by Mullen was pretty awful.

Must have been the shorts***

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Must have been the shorts***

More like the sharts.

tireddawg
12-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Quite possibly, if he doesn't pull Fitz, he doesn't become the QB he is today. At that point Fitz may not have been as focused as he should have been. That woke him up.

RocketDawg
12-02-2016, 04:06 PM

Heisman year after next, if no injury.

maroonmania
12-02-2016, 05:01 PM

I agree he should have AT LEAST given Fitz the full first half of ineffectiveness before pulling him. But even if he did I'm not convinced that we win the USA game. Our offense was sort of a mess back then and for whatever unknown reason Mullen was trying to make Fitz play in the pocket like Dak did in 2015 while ramming Holloway up the middle. That wasn't a good philosophy to beat anyone.