PDA

View Full Version : Q/wright/Stapleton

msstate7
12-02-2016, 07:59 AM
Gonna be interesting how we use these 3 when Stapleton gets healthy. Of course, q will be the starter and will play as much as he can, but will it be at the 3? Wright is coming on... back-to-back double digit scoring games. Stapleton is supposed to be a big time player too. Think we could see Q playing more at the 2?

Brad Stevens
12-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I have no inside information and have no idea how good Stapleton is. I'm sure he will get limited minutes for awhile. If he is good enough to start eventually, then obviously Q slides to the 2 and Carter moves to the bench. Ready, Q, Stapleton, Kegler and Holman would be a long and athletic lineup. Then, you'd still have Peters, Carter, and Wright to mix in there off the bench.

Either way, it's great having Q back and definitely won't hurt adding another 6 foot 6 guy into the rotation that can jump. Hopefully SEC play will be enjoyable to watch this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2016, 09:06 AM
Eli would be the backup 2 & Stapleton the backup 3. Problem solved.

louisvilledawg
12-02-2016, 09:14 AM
I have a question that is unrelated to OP but pertinent to the basketball team:

What is up with Herard? He had only 2 points (on FT) and 3 rebounds. This stat line has kinda been the norm for him this season.

Is he not the player we thought were getting? Is he not getting involved? Is he just taking a long time to adjust? Seems like a 6'10" 250lb top 50 player in the country would avg more than 1.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg against non-conference opponents

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2016, 09:22 AM
I have a question that is unrelated to OP but pertinent to the basketball team:

What is up with Herard? He had only 2 points (on FT) and 3 rebounds. This stat line has kinda been the norm for him this season.

Is he not the player we thought were getting? Is he not getting involved? Is he just taking a long time to adjust? Seems like a 6'10" 250lb top 50 player in the country would avg more than 1.7 ppg and 4.3 rpg against non-conference opponents

Herard is going to be a good player but even is HS his offense was very raw & basic. He was just usually bigger than everybody. He hasn't been playing basketball a long time & it doesn't come natural to him yet. His biggest problem right now is he doesn't have the best hands. He always seems to fumble the ball or has to gather himself before going up. Saying all that we don't do a good job at all of getting him the ball when he does have good post position. We're going to have to start giving him more touches down low just to let him keep working on his game.

MCsMGs
12-02-2016, 10:05 AM
Herard is going to be a good player but even is HS his offense was very raw & basic. He was just usually bigger than everybody. He hasn't been playing basketball a long time & it doesn't come natural to him yet. His biggest problem right now is he doesn't have the best hands. He always seems to fumble the ball or has to gather himself before going up. Saying all that we don't do a good job at all of getting him the ball when he does have good post position. We're going to have to start giving him more touches down low just to let him keep working on his game.

As for Herard's hands, where I see this as a bigger problem at this point is how many times he is first to the ball on rebounds only to have the ball taken away from him.

msstate7
12-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Eli would be the backup 2 & Stapleton the backup 3. Problem solved.

So you think we get away from peters working at the 2 with ready?

louisvilledawg
12-02-2016, 10:28 AM

So marcus campbell basically haha.

Yeah now that you mention it, i remember his high school video being basically nothing but him dunking on people.

I hope he turns it on down the stretch because we need him to be better.

stalkingpoon
12-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I would love to see a lineup of Peters(Ready), Carter(Wright), Q(Stapleton), Kegler(Holman) , Holman(Herard & Datcher) then mix it up with Holman, Herard, & Kegler. This is definitely a tourney team next season, and if we can stay health we will start making more and more noise. I know Ready has the seniority and experience but I just love Peters running the point.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
So you think we get away from peters working at the 2 with ready?

We have a lot of options when everybody gets healthy we can mix & match a lot of different lineups.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2016, 11:03 AM
I would love to see a lineup of Peters(Ready), Carter(Wright), Q(Stapleton), Kegler(Holman) , Holman(Herard & Datcher) then mix it up with Holman, Herard, & Kegler. This is definitely a tourney team next season, and if we can stay health we will start making more and more noise. I know Ready has the seniority and experience but I just love Peters running the point.

Lamar is going to be special but no way he should be starting now. He's not ready to run the show yet. He will get there but not right now.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-02-2016, 11:09 AM
I agree on Peters. He shows flashes of being special but he just simply needs to mature and get more comfortable.

DawgInMemphis
12-02-2016, 11:10 AM
So marcus campbell basically haha.

Yeah now that you mention it, i remember his high school video being basically nothing but him dunking on people.

I hope he turns it on down the stretch because we need him to be better.

He runs and moves WAY better than Campbell. Very athletic for his size.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2016, 11:24 AM
Lamar is going to be special but no way he should be starting now. He's not ready to run the show yet. He will get there but not right now.

I don't think he's far off from Ready right now. He already is a better shooter and a better defender. Need to start giving them equal minutes and see what happens.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-02-2016, 11:28 AM
I don't think he's far off from Ready right now. He already is a better shooter and a better defender. Need to start giving them equal minutes and see what happens.

I think between now & the start of the SEC schedule it will get close to that. That is as long as you can depend on him both on & off the court. That's his biggest issue right now being trustworthy.

louisvilledawg
12-02-2016, 11:30 AM
He runs and moves WAY better than Campbell. Very athletic for his size.

haha I know he is. I was talking about him having bricks for hands. He's a lot better than Campbell for sure

smootness
12-02-2016, 12:05 PM
A lot of HS big men take a while to adjust to the college game, and most of them tend to be pretty raw. Herard seems a little timid and unsure of himself, and he will need time to continue to get in better shape, gain confidence, etc. I'm not worried about him.

The one thing I think Holman needs to cut down on is dribbling after getting a pass in good scoring position. He'll get a pass up high that puts him right by the basket and instead of just going up with it, he dribbles and inevitably the defense collapses and he has trouble finishing after that. If he can just made that adjustment, I think he'll start putting up 14-15+ per game.