PDA

View Full Version : So in interesting Oregon speculation....

ScottH
12-01-2016, 07:20 PM
One of there fansite reporters ran down the candidates. Lane Kiffin was not surprisingly one of the top names

The interesting part was....

We've also been told that Kiffin would likely hire away Mississippi State DC Peter Sermon and bring him back to Oregon. The two worked together at USC and crushed it on the recruiting trail.

CadaverDawg
12-01-2016, 07:22 PM
One of there fansite reporters ran down the candidates. Lane Kiffin was not surprisingly one of the top names

We've also been told that Kiffin would likely hire away Mississippi State DC Peter Sermon and bring him back to Oregon. The two worked together at USC and crushed it on the recruiting trail.

That would be fantastic

Commercecomet24
12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Geez Oregon was one of the bottom 10 defenses in the country this year. You think our defense was bad! We looked like 85 Bears compared to them this year.

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 07:29 PM

I won't cry

dawgday166
12-01-2016, 07:38 PM
I won't cry

Yea it's not like Sirmon is our 3rd string QB ****** Just kidding with you man.:cool:

bulldawg28
12-01-2016, 07:38 PM
That would be fantastic

Lmao

blacklistedbully
12-01-2016, 07:41 PM
I'm hearing they've decided on PJ Fleck...to be announced as early as just after their conference CG.

msstate7
12-01-2016, 07:49 PM
If this does happen, does dan go after another 3-4 DC?

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 07:54 PM

He better not

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 08:10 PM

I think you go after the best DC with EXPERIENCE.

lamont
12-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Kiffin gaining momentum at Houston right now. And Bammers talking like this is it for him there- he gone.

So now the question is- would Sirmon go to Houston with Kiffin?

ScottH
12-01-2016, 08:14 PM

I hear the competitive cheerleading scene in metro Houston is quite robust.

Really Clark?
12-01-2016, 08:17 PM
Kiffin gaining momentum at Houston right now. And Bammers talking like this is it for him there- he gone.

Kiffin to Houston is gaining a lot of steam. They have said they want someone to stay for a while this time. Be interesting to see the contract details if it Kiffin in the end.

DownwardDawg
12-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Kiffin to Houston is gaining a lot of steam. They have said they want someone to stay for a while this time. Be interesting to see the contract details if it Kiffin in the end.

Bama about to be even better.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Bama about to be even better.

I don't know about that. I think Saban and Kiffen is the best HC/OC duo in the SEC right now. I think it will be tough to replace him although I'm sure Saban is going to go with Sarkisan.

TUSK
12-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Sark was brought in to replace Kiffin...

The Offense should not be an issue in '17... it'll be much better, IMO...

.... and, maybe, we'll RTGDF more...

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-01-2016, 09:09 PM
Haha...ohhh noooo...not him anyone but him

Political Hack
12-01-2016, 09:13 PM
If he leaves Mississippi State this year he will forever be one of the worst DC's we've ever had in the history of our program.

If he stays, he could become one of the best. Be interesting to see what he'd want to do. Bail out west, or dare to challenge the SEC.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 09:18 PM
If he leaves Mississippi State this year he will forever be one of the worst DC's we've ever had in the history of our program.

If he stays, he could become one of the best. Be interesting to see what he'd want to do. Bail out west, or dare to challenge the SEC.

I think Sirmon would leave unless the money just isn't there. I think it has more to do with what Houston the city could offer his family and the fact that he would be coaching with his friend more than anything.

Gutter Cobreh
12-01-2016, 09:21 PM

Houston, TX > Starkville, MS

I guess I'm in the minority, but I would like to see what Sirmon could do in regards to recruiting for us. For that to happen, he would need to obviously stay a full year.

Political Hack
12-01-2016, 09:32 PM
I think Sirmon would leave unless the money just isn't there. I think it has more to do with what Houston the city could offer his family and the fact that he would be coaching with his friend more than anything.

I agree. But that's the choice as I spelled it out. If he leaves, he'll be one of the worst DC's in the history of MSU and the SEC. Ever. I couldn't leave that way.

Dawgowar
12-01-2016, 09:59 PM
I agree. But that's the choice as I spelled it out. If he leaves, he'll be one of the worst DC's in the history of MSU and the SEC. Ever. I couldn't leave that way.

In fairness to Dan, he gave this guy a shot and seems content to give him another year. Be a crappy thing to do against a guy who gave you a chance.

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 10:16 PM

Gonna disagree and say 2nd worst.. Cooper can't be beat

Mjoelner34
12-01-2016, 10:21 PM
Cooper can't be beat

That bending over double ass-grab sign he sent out to the defense cements him in the number 1 position.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2016, 10:22 PM

I guess I'm in the minority, but I would like to see what Sirmon could do in regards to recruiting for us. For that to happen, he would need to obviously stay a full year.

But is it greater than Nashville?

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 10:23 PM
That bending over double ass-grab sign he sent out to the defense cements him in the number 1 position.

Yep

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Gonna disagree and say 2nd worst.. Cooper can't be beat

I have to agree about Cooper. At least our run defense was decent with Sirmon.

Gutter Cobreh
12-01-2016, 11:02 PM
But is it greater than Nashville?

I see what you did there...but I'd have to say yeah.

Schultzy
12-02-2016, 01:18 AM
So Ozarka moved to Oregon...that explains a lot

Or So Cal...he and Kiffin are going to crush that crootin tail, I mean trail like ol' times

Really Clark?
12-02-2016, 03:08 PM

Kiffin to interview after the SEC championship game. Looks like the leading candidate now if he shows up instead of Joey Freshwater.

KB21
12-02-2016, 03:32 PM
One problem with this rumor, guys.

Peter Sirmon and Lane Kiffin never coached together anywhere. Kiffin was the head coach at Tennessee in 2009. Sirmon joined Derek Dooley's staff at Tennessee in 2010. From 2011-2013, Lane Kiffin was the head coach at USC. Sirmon was at Tennessee from 2010-2011, and from 2012-2013, he was with Steve Sarkisian at Washington. Sirmon joined Sarkisian's staff at USC in 2014.

jumbo
12-02-2016, 03:38 PM

Yes. Dan wanted to switch to a 3-4. He would hire a 3-4 DC.

Really Clark?
12-03-2016, 12:51 AM
Some late night rumblings that Oregon will try to announce a HC tomorrow for exposure. Fleck may be the guy with rumors of a late night, early morning interview. We will see if that's the case. I know Oregon law has a "Rooney Rule" type of process where minorities are required to be interviewed as well.

ScottH
12-03-2016, 01:55 AM

Peter Sirmon and Lane Kiffin never coached together anywhere. Kiffin was the head coach at Tennessee in 2009. Sirmon joined Derek Dooley's staff at Tennessee in 2010. From 2011-2013, Lane Kiffin was the head coach at USC. Sirmon was at Tennessee from 2010-2011, and from 2012-2013, he was with Steve Sarkisian at Washington. Sirmon joined Sarkisian's staff at USC in 2014.

Well done.

HSVDawg
12-03-2016, 08:39 AM

What I don't get is how in the world you sell that hire to the Houston fanbase and administration. You're Lane Kiffin and you've been crappy in every HC opportunity you've ever had, and you also have a shit ton of off the field / personal baggage to boot. You finally get a decent gig where you can rebuild your image a little bit, and the only way you can screw it up is making a bad hire at DC because the offense should be set. And you go and hire one of the statistically worst DC's in the entire country last season, which was his only year of experience? It's like he would just be asking to get canned and never get another shot again.

MarketingBully
12-03-2016, 09:38 AM

I'm sorry but no matter how you say it the Houston DC job isn't better then the MSU DC job. Nashville is a great city too but Vanderbilt is a shitty football job no matter how you slice it as a for instance. Houston would be a huge step down for Sirmon.

FISHDAWG
12-03-2016, 11:09 AM

we can still hope

Todd4State
12-03-2016, 11:37 AM
What I don't get is how in the world you sell that hire to the Houston fanbase and administration. You're Lane Kiffin and you've been crappy in every HC opportunity you've ever had, and you also have a shit ton of off the field / personal baggage to boot. You finally get a decent gig where you can rebuild your image a little bit, and the only way you can screw it up is making a bad hire at DC because the offense should be set. And you go and hire one of the statistically worst DC's in the entire country last season, which was his only year of experience? It's like he would just be asking to get canned and never get another shot again.

They'll play the "but it was Mississippi State" card.

Todd4State
12-03-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm sorry but no matter how you say it the Houston DC job isn't better then the MSU DC job. Nashville is a great city too but Vanderbilt is a shitty football job no matter how you slice it as a for instance. Houston would be a huge step down for Sirmon.

It could be that Dan told him to go look for another job. He probably knows Kiffen through their USC ties or through Sarkisian. Assuming it happens.

Any truth to Dan calling the defensive plays in the second half of the Egg Bowl rumor? I haven't seen it discussed much but if that's true I could see Dan saying screw it I'm not letting this guy get me fired. Leo go spy PayPat.

Todd4State
12-03-2016, 11:42 AM
Yes. Dan wanted to switch to a 3-4. He would hire a 3-4 DC.

That's what Appalachain State's DC runs and what DeRuyter runs. Both would be upgrades. Not sure why Dan is dead set on that defense. Maybe he realizes it works better against Ole Miss and beating them is the best way to keep his job.

HSVDawg
12-03-2016, 01:10 PM
They'll play the "but it was Mississippi State" card.

Well if their fans and admin are delusional enough to think Houston can get better talent than any SEC team, I guess that might work. Of course, they'd have to be all sorts of delusional to expect Kiffin to be successful to begin with, so I guess it makes sense.

Dawgowar
12-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Houston is a glorified community college with some money. Regardless they could not keep Briles, Summlin, or Herman when bigger and better came calling.

coachnorm
12-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Oregon sat back and laughed at Kiffin when he was the USC Head Coach? They know that Saban had him on a short leash.