PDA

View Full Version : Hankerson Arrested

Bama_Dawg
12-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Dammit:

http://djournal.com/sports/college/mississippi-state/msu-freshman-safety-hankerson-arrested/

blacklistedbully
12-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Not excusing the behavior...and expect there to be appropriate discipline when the facts come out, but let's get the details before we get too concerned.

Here's what "simple assault" can mean in Mississippi:

Under Mississippi law, a person commits an assault if he:

attempts to physically injure another person
intentionally or recklessly causes physical injury to another
negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon, or
threatens another person, causing that person to feel afraid that he is about to suffer serious physical injury.
A reckless act is one that is committed, not necessarily with intent to harm another, but without regard for the outcome. Pushing someone out of the way in a crowd so that you can get through, without intending to injure the person, could be an assault if the person falls and is injured. A negligent act is one that is not intentional but occurs because the actor fails to exercise reasonable care. An accidental shooting can be a negligent assault if it results from a person not being careful enough when handling or firing a gun.
The physical injury involved in a simple assault must be a minor injury like a cut, scrape and bruise. If the offender causes more serious injury, such as a broken bone or an injury that requires surgery or hospitalization, the crime is an aggravated assault, which is a more serious offense than simple assault.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2016, 11:52 AM
He made a mistake.

Really Clark?
12-01-2016, 11:59 AM
He turned himself in when he learned of a warrant for his arrest. He has been suspended indefinitely from team activities while the incident is being investigated.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2016, 12:16 PM
So, did he beat someone's azz and they filed papers on him?

Ifyouonlyknew
12-01-2016, 12:26 PM
So, did he beat someone's azz and they filed papers on him?

Yep got into a fight with a student on Tuesday & turned himself in the next day when he heard about the warrant.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-01-2016, 12:28 PM
For someone who barely sneaked into last year's class, he better get his shit together or be gone.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Freaking (kitty) college kids these days. Lose the fight and file charges.

Ari Gold
12-01-2016, 01:09 PM
For someone who barely sneaked into last year's class, he better get his shit together or be gone.

Yeah.. Hank better buy in quick or he will be taking the train...

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Jeffrey Simmons says hello. Would be a pretty bad double standard if we treat the situations differently just because one player is more talented than the other. My guess is his punishment will be the same. One game suspension next year and some mandatory counseling. And, like Simmons, if he messes up again he will be gone. But where he ranked in our recruiting class is (and should be) completely irrelevant in how we handle the situation.

Really Clark?
12-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Jeffrey Simmons says hello. Would be a pretty bad double standard if we treat the situations differently just because one player is more talented than the other. My guess is his punishment will be the same. One game suspension next year and some mandatory counseling. And, like Simmons, if he messes up again he will be gone. But where he ranked in our recruiting class is (and should be) completely irrelevant in how we handle the situation.

I agree you absolutely have to be consistant but there is a difference in handling a player on the team and in school than a high school kid that hasn't stepped foot on campus. If he is let go eventually, there is probably more stuff we don't know about and makes it easier to decided to process him to make room. Not saying he is anything like that, but a lot of times there are a lot of accumulated stuff behind the scenes we don't know about.

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 01:54 PM
I agree you absolutely have to be consistant but there is a difference in handling a player on the team and in school than a high school kid that hasn't stepped foot on campus. If he is let go eventually, there is probably more stuff we don't know about and makes it easier to decided to process him to make room. Not saying he is anything like that, but a lot of times there are a lot of accumulated stuff behind the scenes we don't know about.

Well, where do you draw the line on the before / after enrolling in school punishments? Can you really say a kid who has signed but hasn't enrolled shouldn't know better than to get into fights or smoke weed or whatever? What is the justification behind that, that the coach hasn't had a chance to tell the kid not to do all that stuff? Coaches explaining their expectations for behavior, conduct, and academic performance is part of the recruiting process and should be well communicated before a kid ever signs his LOI. Its hard to argue that anyone who's signed the paperwork doesn't understand the standard. For the reasons above, I'd argue it should be handled the same way as Simmons because the charges were the same and likely legal outcome will be the same as well. This is assuming that it is an isolated incident for Hankerson and not part of a pattern.

Turfdawg67
12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Not excusing the behavior...and expect there to be appropriate discipline when the facts come out, but let's get the details before we get too concerned.

Here's what "simple assault" can mean in Mississippi:

Under Mississippi law, a person commits an assault if he:

attempts to physically injure another person
intentionally or recklessly causes physical injury to another
negligently causes bodily injury to another with a deadly weapon, or
threatens another person, causing that person to feel afraid that he is about to suffer serious physical injury.
A reckless act is one that is committed, not necessarily with intent to harm another, but without regard for the outcome. Pushing someone out of the way in a crowd so that you can get through, without intending to injure the person, could be an assault if the person falls and is injured. A negligent act is one that is not intentional but occurs because the actor fails to exercise reasonable care. An accidental shooting can be a negligent assault if it results from a person not being careful enough when handling or firing a gun.
The physical injury involved in a simple assault must be a minor injury like a cut, scrape and bruise. If the offender causes more serious injury, such as a broken bone or an injury that requires surgery or hospitalization, the crime is an aggravated assault, which is a more serious offense than simple assault.

... and it is the SPD, so...

blacklistedbully
12-01-2016, 02:17 PM

Good points.

Really Clark?
12-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Well, where do you draw the line on the before / after enrolling in school punishments? Can you really say a kid who has signed but hasn't enrolled shouldn't know better than to get into fights or smoke weed or whatever? What is the justification behind that, that the coach hasn't had a chance to tell the kid not to do all that stuff? Coaches explaining their expectations for behavior, conduct, and academic performance is part of the recruiting process and should be well communicated before a kid ever signs his LOI. Its hard to argue that anyone who's signed the paperwork doesn't understand the standard. For the reasons above, I'd argue it should be handled the same way as Simmons because the charges were the same and likely legal outcome will be the same as well. This is assuming that it is an isolated incident for Hankerson and not part of a pattern.

The justification is that you only know a kid partially when you are recruiting him. When he is your program you get a much better sense of what type of person they are, incidents that are involved in, how they handle things in stressful situations, etc. People can fool you but you have a much better picture of their character when they are on campus vs a recruit.

Political Hack
12-01-2016, 03:26 PM

I agree we should hold ourselves to that standard, but no one else in the SEC does. It creates an unfair advantage for the unethical bunch. Also, let's remember Justin Cox, our starting S that we kicked off the team immediately when he got charged. Every situation is different and should be evaluated different.

Cox - losing him killed our defense and tanked the season. Still cut him lose though.
Simmons - kept him and he's got great potential but freshmen are always unknown commodities coming in.
Hankerson - jury is out on him, but we need scholarships and I doubt we'll continue to use one on someone who breaks the rules and gets suspended indefinitely.

BB30
12-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Somewhat off topic but I would be willing to bet more than half the team smokes or has smoked weed. And I would also bet at least 50% of all college students have at some point smoked weed. Kids in their late teens early 20s make dumb dumb mistakes. IMHO it is not worth possibly ruining a future before more details are given. There are some things that are worth kicking a kid off a team for and there are some things that should be punished internally. What benefits a kid more? Kicking him off the team, sending an uneducated guy back where he came to make more mistakes, or run the everliving sh** out of him everyday until he understands that there are consequences for actions and that there is a right and wrong way to do things?

And for the record I am not a pot smoker ha just not naive enough to think nobody in college is doing it on a regular basis including athletes.

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Somewhat off topic but I would be willing to bet more than half the team smokes or has smoked weed. And I would also bet at least 50% of all college students have at some point smoked weed. Kids in their late teens early 20s make dumb dumb mistakes. IMHO it is not worth possibly ruining a future before more details are given. There are some things that are worth kicking a kid off a team for and there are some things that should be punished internally. What benefits a kid more? Kicking him off the team, sending an uneducated guy back where he came to make more mistakes, or run the everliving sh** out of him everyday until he understands that there are consequences for actions and that there is a right and wrong way to do things?

And for the record I am not a pot smoker ha just not naive enough to think nobody in college is doing it on a regular basis including athletes.

I'm with you 100% on that. I just don't think kids should be cut slack for stuff that happens before they show up on campus because they aren't "in the program" yet. Nor should a kid with an otherwise clean record be punished more harshley than someone who made the same mistake before getting on campus because they were "in the program" when it happened. When they sign the dotted line in February or December before reporting, they are on the team as far as I'm concerned, and should act accordingly.

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 06:04 PM
I agree we should hold ourselves to that standard, but no one else in the SEC does. It creates an unfair advantage for the unethical bunch. Also, let's remember Justin Cox, our starting S that we kicked off the team immediately when he got charged. Every situation is different and should be evaluated different.

Cox - losing him killed our defense and tanked the season. Still cut him lose though.
Simmons - kept him and he's got great potential but freshmen are always unknown commodities coming in.
Hankerson - jury is out on him, but we need scholarships and I doubt we'll continue to use one on someone who breaks the rules and gets suspended indefinitely.

Justin Cox's issue happened with only two games left in the regular season (Vandy and OM). And he was a senior. So the suspension he would have been given would have effectively ended his career anyway. So I don't think its really fair to say we booted him off the team. If it happened during the middle of the season, it would have been a 2 or 3 game suspension here or anywhere else.

blacklistedbully
12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Disagree. That was a magical season for us, and we cut him loose when we still had a great chance to make the CFP.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-01-2016, 06:40 PM

Don't disagree and didn't say that he should be gone now, but you're an asshole for bringing up Simmons as an example. From all accounts, he is doing what he needs to do and his offense occurred when he wasn't on a scholarship at MSU. Hankerson is on scholarship and no doubt has been told that he has to earn it to keep it. Right or wrong, Simmons is an impact player and will be held to a different standard than a special teams player. Do you think Hankerson would have been signed last year if he was in the same situation as Simmons? The better comparison would be A. Mullins.

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/mkocs6/memehawkinsintramurals_zpsd473bb5a.png

Offshore Dawg
12-01-2016, 07:45 PM

Can you imagine how the little toddy bears would handle this.

Corn Bread
12-01-2016, 08:21 PM
Yep got into a fight with a student on Tuesday & turned himself in the next day when he heard about the warrant.

Let this play out and give this young man a break. He did turn himself in. Non of us have ever got in a fight before, yea right.

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 10:24 PM
Don't disagree and didn't say that he should be gone now, but you're an asshole for bringing up Simmons as an example. From all accounts, he is doing what he needs to do and his offense occurred when he wasn't on a scholarship at MSU. Hankerson is on scholarship and no doubt has been told that he has to earn it to keep it.

I have no problem with how the coaches handled Simmons. You say that Simmons was doing what he was supposed to be doing except that one incident. But what about Hankerson? He has no track record of running afoul of the rules either before this incident. And both kids were on scholarship as soon as they signed the LOI and fully aware of the rules of the program. And yet, you insinuated that Hankerson is in danger of being run off because of how many stars he had by his name. I'd say you are the asshole for saying the kid isn't good enough at football to get away with assaulting someone.

Right or wrong, Simmons is an impact player and will be held to a different standard than a special teams player. Do you think Hankerson would have been signed last year if he was in the same situation as Simmons? The better comparison would be A. Mullins.

The first part of your statement just flat out reiterates your absurd point already insinuated above. It's absolutely ridiculous to apply a disciplinary double standard based on how good a kid is. That is how you develop a culture like what is going on at OM right now. Maybe you don't remember when we were all ridiculing OM (and rightfully so) for kicking that TE from the Delta off the team for one failed drug test to try and publicly display some form of discipline, while welcoming with open arms guys like Stringfellow (domestic violence), Hartsfield (sodomy / sexual assault), Chad Kelly (assault on police officer / resisting arrest) and so on and so forth. What you are suggesting is that we start the same type of policy here by giving better players a longer leash, which is exactly how you end up with the inmates running the asylum. And asking if Hankerson would have been signed last year if he had a Simmons like incident isn't even a valid comparison. Simmons signed 3 months before the incident. And if Hankerson did the same thing 3 months afterwards, he would still have his spot because the LOI binds the school to the player so long as he is academically qualified. And I would have had no problem with that being the result if the end punishment was the same as Simmons because you have to be consistent. If the policy is you go light on first offenses, then they are gone afterwards, that is fine as long as consistency is applied. Our coaches have always done a good job of that and that is why you see a good APR scores and minimal disciplinary issues within the program compared to the rest of the SEC. They will handle this incident the right way as well.