PDA

View Full Version : I'm no coach, but have a thought and question about defending the spread option.

cheewgumm
09-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Would it work if you had your DEs rush in lanes?

So, they don't pinch towrd the middle , but just move straight up field..kind of like a kick off coverage.

Downside I guess is you depend on others in teh middle of the line, so if there is a break there, they get a lot of yards up the middle. However, jsut watching this week after week, that is what I'd do. I'd make the ends jsut rush straight up field.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 11:01 AM
They do rush straight up field, then react to what they see. This sometimes means backside pursuit. Sometimes this means staying at home. Again, they are taught to react to what they see. If they see the ball carrier headed away from them, they will chase him down, unless they see a possible reverse bringing the ball back, in which case, they should maintain discipline and stay "home".

Against an option team like 2nd half Ok State, Ole Miss, etc, we probably have the backside DE assigned to the QB, with the other assigned to the option man.

Have I got it right, coaches?

ShotgunDawg
09-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Would it work if you had your DEs rush in lanes?

So, they don't pinch towrd the middle , but just move straight up field..kind of like a kick off coverage.

Downside I guess is you depend on others in teh middle of the line, so if there is a break there, they get a lot of yards up the middle. However, jsut watching this week after week, that is what I'd do. I'd make the ends jsut rush straight up field.

The problem with this strategy is that you assume the DE s know that the read option is coming. If your ends start moving up the field on every play like that teams will destroy with other running plays that exploit that gap.

FISHDAWG
09-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I think it all boils down to assignments ... if the tackle / end blocks down then the DE has the QB responsibility and let the corner or LB take the pitch man ... we missed those assignments

archdog
09-04-2013, 11:42 AM
I really don't care what happens, if they run the read option, you need to put a hit on the QB every time. This is what they are doing in the NFL to hold up RGIII and Kaepernick.

Hit them every time and it takes them out of the play. Back side DE should have this responsibility. At the very least he should be shadowing the QB on that play. IF you hit them every time, then they get hit an extra 10-15 times a game. This is only allowed on running read options, if he goes to throw its roughing the passer.

Goat Holder
09-04-2013, 11:43 AM
I really don't care what happens, if they run the read option, you need to put a hit on the QB every time. This is what they are doing in the NFL to hold up RGIII and Kaepernick.

Hit them every time and it takes them out of the play. Back side DE should have this responsibility. At the very least he should be shadowing the QB on that play. IF you hit them every time, then they get hit an extra 10-15 times a game. This is only allowed on running read options, if he goes to throw its roughing the passer.

This is what I think....hit the QB with that weakside DE. Of course, Autry had his head too far up his ass to do that Saturday.

PMDawg
09-04-2013, 11:46 AM
Why can't you disguise it? Have your DEs do different things. One play, you have them pinch so the QB is forced to keep, but you also have a LB scraping that meets him on the edge. Then you mix it up and have the DE get wide so he hands off to the RB but you need to have a S or LB ready to meet him. Then you go traditional. I know I'm vastly oversimplifying this, but my point is you need to mix it up. You don't have to outcoach the offensive coach for the other team or even all 11 offensive players. You just have to out think the little 19 y/o kid taking the snaps. Confuse the little shit so he can't just make one read and decide what to do. Try to force him to think he needs to make multiple reads. Make him over think it, get him confused, show him multiple looks and it's over. You defend it the same way every time and your ****ed.

Coach 57
09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I teach my DEs to take 2.5 to 3 hard steps and freeze to read. While in those 3 steps he will battle the OT or TE. During which the battle should be one in no more than 2 steps. I teach "if you are still fighting after that you won't be able to hold containment." Also teaching "A.B.F"! ALWAYS BE FIRST! First to initiate contact. First to step. First to the play. First to make the QB make his decision. Always be first!