PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Woods

msujan
12-01-2016, 05:59 AM
So, Woods has turned down Eupora and South Panola. What about the possibility he's been talking to Freezer and is going to join the staff at Northern Miss? He'd be a great recruiter as well as coach. Who knows, maybe they're sliding him in to later make him Freezer's replacement.

deltadawg99
12-01-2016, 06:23 AM
I think he has his 25 years on the public school system. Maybe he is retiring, who knows.

msstate7
12-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Neshoba central, please

maroon59
12-01-2016, 07:38 AM
So, Woods has turned down Eupora and South Panola. What about the possibility he's been talking to Freezer and is going to join the staff at Northern Miss? He'd be a great recruiter as well as coach. Who knows, maybe they're sliding him in to later make him Freezer's replacement.

Another board is reporting that he withdrew his name after the Board did not approve the hire. Supposedly the East Webster oriented members voted to table the motion to approve him. Don't know of this is the case or not.

Homedawg
12-01-2016, 07:48 AM
Another board is reporting that he withdrew his name after the Board did not approve the hire. Supposedly the East Webster oriented members voted to table the motion to approve him. Don't know of this is the case or not.

This is correct. Lots of politics involved. He didn't turn them down. He wanted the job.

msujan
12-01-2016, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised he didn't have the votes. My experience with Webster Co school board was that the votes were 3 for Eupora and 2 for East Webster, and the 3 voted as a block. Eupora is pro OM, EW more MSU. Interesting.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 09:52 AM
I hope he wasn't denied in part because of Ole Miss recruiting in Starkville because from what I have heard about Woods he's pretty neutral as far as where players go. I remember when he was at South Panola we got Derek Pegues so it goes both ways I guess.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2016, 10:32 AM
I hope he wasn't denied in part because of Ole Miss recruiting in Starkville because from what I have heard about Woods he's pretty neutral as far as where players go. I remember when he was at South Panola we got Derek Pegues so it goes both ways I guess.

And he was the only one. That doesn't sound neutral to me.

LibraryDawg
12-01-2016, 10:46 AM
This is correct. Lots of politics involved. He didn't turn them down. He wanted the job.

The politics are that the principal at Eupora promised him that he would only have to coach and not teach a class without the superintendent's approval. The superintendent has refused to approve this move and has since resigned because of the pressure he was receiving from the folks at Eupora. This has nothing to do with the East Webster folks, it's all about the lack of funding to pay a guy to coach that isn't filling a faculty position also.

LibraryDawg
12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
The school district has cut staff throughout the last few years because of the lack of funding so how could the superintendent hire a guy and pay him to only coach when he has called teachers to his office recently and told them that their contracts would not be renewed because of a lack of funding?

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2016, 10:52 AM
The school district has cut staff throughout the last few years because of the lack of funding so how could the superintendent hire a guy and pay him to only coach when he has called teachers to his office recently and told them that their contracts would not be renewed because of a lack of funding?

Sounds like a typical UNM thing to do. Make football more important than actually teaching kids which is the point of the school.

HaggardDawg
12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Heard the board at SP turned him down because they thought he was too old. He's only in his 50s right??

dawgday166
12-01-2016, 12:05 PM
The politics are that the principal at Eupora promised him that he would only have to coach and not teach a class without the superintendent's approval. The superintendent has refused to approve this move and has since resigned because of the pressure he was receiving from the folks at Eupora. This has nothing to do with the East Webster folks, it's all about the lack of funding to pay a guy to coach that isn't filling a faculty position also.

Just curious - who is the Eupora principal and Superintendent?

msujan
12-01-2016, 12:12 PM

Sounds right, based on my experiences with that Bd.

LibraryDawg
12-01-2016, 12:12 PM
I don't know the name of the Eupora principal but the superintendent was Jack Treloar

dawgday166
12-01-2016, 12:20 PM
I don't know the name of the Eupora principal but the superintendent was Jack Treloar

Thanks. I Googled and found out who the principal was. Thought I might know one or both of them but I don't. I did know the Super about 5 or so years ago.

Really Clark?
12-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Heard the board at SP turned him down because they thought he was too old. He's only in his 50s right??

They just hired him pending board approval

BeastMan
12-01-2016, 12:31 PM

The guy let OM set up shop in Starkville with nunerous pro OM assistants and "helpers". Then SHS stops going to MSU camps like they used to. If that scenario happens in any SEC town, he gets run out of town. Funny how he ends up back at SP after Eupora's board told him to kick rocks.

MainEventDawg
12-01-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm surprised he didn't have the votes. My experience with Webster Co school board was that the votes were 3 for Eupora and 2 for East Webster, and the 3 voted as a block. Eupora is pro OM, EW more MSU. Interesting.

I wouldn't say Eupora is pro OM. There were no Oxford-influenced decisions being made regarding Ricky Woods. Eupora's principal wanted him because he is a great coach and she made the moves to make the hire happen without consulting the Super or the current head football coach. The main reason for it getting shut down is likely the fact that 2A high school football isn't college or pro football where you can hire/fire coaches at the drop of a hat. And it also wasn't fair to Coach Edwards who has only had 2 years to find his way as a head coach. But I do know that East Webster folks didn't like the prospect of Eupora gaining a competitive advantage with Woods. So that probably had a little to do with it as well.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-01-2016, 12:37 PM
The guy let OM set up shop in Starkville with nunerous pro OM assistants and "helpers". Then SHS stops going to MSU camps like they used to. If that scenario happens in any SEC town, he gets run out of town. Funny how he ends up back at SP after Eupora's board told him to kick rocks.

^^This^^ F that guy

Jarius
12-01-2016, 12:43 PM
There don't need to be any "neutral" coaches in schools that are ten minutes from our campus. Call it what you want. That shit doesn't fly anywhere else. The damn square almost burned down when that fat quarterback went to LSU.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 12:47 PM
And he was the only one. That doesn't sound neutral to me.

Mario Bobo, Ricky Wright, Kendrick Market, Kobe Jones, and Willie Gay say he wasn't pro Ole Miss. Also coached Connor Stephens and Bryan Shumaker at Ackerman.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 12:50 PM

I agree he should have put an end to that and it never should have been allowed.

preachermatt83
12-01-2016, 01:04 PM
He just accepted south Panola job.

chisaintdog3
12-01-2016, 01:10 PM
Rumor is that Lance Pogue might be going to Starkville High

preachermatt83
12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
Rumor is that Lance Pogue might be going to Starkville High

Please no!!

lamont
12-01-2016, 01:13 PM
Woods to USP

Tyrone Shorter of Noxubee County odds on favorite to get Sville job

Homedawg
12-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Mario Bobo, Ricky Wright, Kendrick Market, Kobe Jones, and Willie Gay say he wasn't pro Ole Miss. Also coached Connor Stephens and Bryan Shumaker at Ackerman.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good argument. Ricky likes to coach football. That's it. He doesn't push kids anywhere. Here, there, anywhere. Period.

BeastMan
12-01-2016, 01:14 PM
I agree he should have put an end to that and it never should have been allowed.

I'll say this. Multiple people who I trust 100% told me he didn't have any idea that was going on and put a stop to it as soon as he found out. But like I said, that happens in any town in the SEC, he's gettin run. That is the harsh reality of the environment that MSU competes. I want us to compete like everyone else, not be the nice guy.

MafiaDawg
12-01-2016, 01:41 PM
Nm

preachermatt83
12-01-2016, 01:52 PM
Woods to USP

Shorter is not a great coach however he is on "the right side".

Westdawg
12-01-2016, 02:12 PM
Woods to USP

really?? that will turn some heads. Random, who do you think he will take off of Miller's staff to come with him to Starkville? I got a few ppl i know at Noxubee. Shorter would sure have a nasty defense

Westdawg
12-01-2016, 02:19 PM
Shorter is not a great coach however he is on "the right side".

C'mon, Matt. He has done a fairly good job under Miller. He has been Asst. HC for a few years now at Nox.

As for Ricky Woods, I was at Ackerman when he first came there. The guy only wants to coach and win football games. From all i remember about him, he didn't care where you wanted to go, only that you gave your all on that field and in the weight room.