PDA

View Full Version : Navy and complications with the CFP rankings

HSVDawg
11-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but I heard something interesting on the local evening sports radio in AL tonight regarding Navy. They came in at #19 in the latest CFP rankings, just two spots behind #17 Western Michigan who was the highest ranked Group of 5 team. According to the current NY6 stipulations, the highest ranked Group of 5 team in the final playoff rankings is guaranteed a NY6 bowl slot. These slots are supposed to be announced on Dec. 4th. However, Navy plays against Temple this weekend for the AAC championship, then plays again against Army next weekend.

The complications that were said to arise were that if Navy wins this weekend, the CFP committee might have to wait a whole week until Navy / Army is complete to slot the other NY6 bowls (it won't affect the playoff teams), which would then create a ripple effect causing all other bowl game selections to also be delayed for a week. This will be very interesting for us to monitor considering that one of the games we were in the running for was the Las Vegas Bowl which is in mid December. There is somewhat of a small possibility that we wouldn't know our bowl destination until a week before the actual game. I am sure there will be some agreement reached to work around this calamity, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

msstate7
11-30-2016, 11:55 PM
Temple gonna put an end to all this Saturday. My boy, rhule gonna win 10 for back-to-back years at temple

missouridawg
12-01-2016, 12:01 AM
Or.... the committee could look at WMU with 1 loss and say that WMU will be ahead of Navy no matter what and vote them that way.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 12:34 AM
I'm not sure that Western Michigan loses to start with. If they don't I can't see Navy jumping them.

If WMU does lose- game on.

Todd4State
12-01-2016, 12:36 AM
Or.... the committee could look at WMU with 1 loss and say that WMU will be ahead of Navy no matter what and vote them that way.

What would be really interesting is if Navy jumps undefeated Western Michigan.

AusTexDawg
12-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Just saw this article (http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/negotiations-would-make-western-michigan-eligible-for-more-big-bowls-if-not-in-cotton/) about Western Michigan maneuvering to get options for up to half of the bowls and not get locked into the MAC-affiliated bowls if they don't get picked for the Cotton Bowl. This expanded list includes the Armed Forces and Las Vegas Bowls.

HSVDawg
12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure that Western Michigan loses to start with. If they don't I can't see Navy jumping them.

If WMU does lose- game on.

This is pretty much the doomsday scenario for fans trying to attend a non-NY6 bowl game. I think that If Navy wins and WMU loses, they will jump WMU for sure. But you have to also consider that 9-2 Navy is only two spots behind 12-0 WMU in the CFP rankings, meaning that they think Navy has a much much stronger schedule (and they do). For that reason, it wouldn't be unrealistic at all for an 11-2 Navy to jump a 13-0 WMU. Also consider that Stanford doesn't play this weekend, and at 9-3 they are very likely to fall behind Navy if Navy wins. This would create a scenario where you have WMU and Navy back to back in the standings on Dec 4th with Navy still having a game to play. No way will they slot the NY6 until after Army-Navy under that scenario.