PDA

View Full Version : Nick Tiano transferring

pdawg10msu
11-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Per his twitter. I hate to hear it but wish him the best of luck!

Big4Dawg
11-30-2016, 05:48 PM
This is bad news for our QB depth

Bothrops
11-30-2016, 05:48 PM
That sucks

starkvegasdawg
11-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Sucks to lose two QB's in one off season. Who do we have behind Fitz now?

preachermatt83
11-30-2016, 05:51 PM
Dude sees the handwritting on the wall. He will be a career backup. Fitz is just too good for him to pass and when Fitz graduates it will be Thompson who takes the reigns. I hate it cause of the depth but really I think tiano can be a starter somewhere and he never would be here so don't blame him.

AFDawg
11-30-2016, 05:52 PM
I hate it. But Keytaon Thompson is going to get second team reps earlier, at least.

BulldogBear
11-30-2016, 05:53 PM
Just saw that. Hope Dan is on a QB. He better be.

JoseBrown
11-30-2016, 05:54 PM
17! Gotta find another one now.

lamont
11-30-2016, 05:57 PM
Mentioned this a couple of weeks ago. Was hoping it wasnt true

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 05:59 PM
Damn it. That sucks.

Bothrops
11-30-2016, 06:01 PM
I sense some darks clouds somewhere. If Nick gets an ankle or a knee, we're ****ed in a major way.

HSVDawg
11-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Sucks to lose two QB's in one off season. Who do we have behind Fitz now?

Technically we've lost 3 including Staley.

vv83
11-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Is there anyone behind Fitz now? The walk on from EMCC?

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Bring Staley back!!

lamont
11-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Last Chance U is our back-up for the bowl game it seems

Joe Schmedlap
11-30-2016, 06:08 PM
17! 17! 17!

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Last Chance U is our back-up for the bowl game it seems

Damian will be around for the bowl game.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Gotta go get a JUCO that understands he's coming in to be a backup. I want no part of blowing Key's redshirt next year like Freezus blew Patterson's. This is the price of having a superstar young QB.

Here are the options:

1. Bring Staley back. Not sure Staley has any interest of doing this.

2. Gabe Myles. Didn't he play QB at Starkville? In the spread option, could he function in an emergency?

3. Go sign another JUCO guy. What JUCO has any interest in being a career backup?

MaxedOutMaroon
11-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Entitlement! As a fellow millennial, this makes me mad. I don't know the situation, but it seems he doesn't want to work for something. We need depth and since no modern day QB wants to be a backup, not sure where we turn.

Bothrops
11-30-2016, 06:14 PM
4 schollys to 1 in no time.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
Why is everyone upset?

Tiano wants to play and that's not happening in Starkville. This is the price of having a superstar young QB. It's already happened at Bama and will happen at Ole Miss

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2016, 06:15 PM
4 schollys to 1 in no time.

Yeah. That's because you have 1. Give me 1 good one over a bunch of slip everyday

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 06:19 PM
It's what happens when you have great qbs. I remember the days we had plenty of qb depth but none of them were good.

Homedawg
11-30-2016, 06:20 PM
Gotta go get a JUCO that understands he's coming in to be a backup. I want no part of blowing Key's redshirt next year like Freezus blew Patterson's. This is the price of having a superstar young QB.

Here are the options:

2. Gabe Myles. Didn't he play QB at Starkville? In the spread option, could he function in an emergency?

3. Go sign another JUCO guy. What JUCO has any interest in being a career backup?

Option 1 no.
Option 2 no
Option 3? Why would a juco want to come in knowing the writing is on the wall? Makes no sense.

MetEdDawg
11-30-2016, 06:21 PM
He was probably told he would have a chance to compete. Then Fitz did what he did and it probably became obvious that this was gonna be the Fitz show the next two years.

I think we are about to see a change in how we do QBs. Think we are about to start rolling good ones in and telling them hey you are gonna sit but you are gonna have a chance to be really really good.

Mullen has been getting a ton recognition for his QB development. He's got a lot of good ones on his resume. Fitz may be the next one and Mullen deserves credit for his growth.

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Entitlement! As a fellow millennial, this makes me mad. I don't know the situation, but it seems he doesn't want to work for something. We need depth and since no modern day QB wants to be a backup, not sure where we turn.

No you don't know the details so STFU. You're like one of those assmunches that gets upset when a player leaves early to persue his dream in the pros. He knew Key was coming in and he was going to be #2, at best, behind Fitz. Can't blame it on being a millennial either when you're being self centered... just like the generation before.

Dawgface
11-30-2016, 06:27 PM
It does suck. Is the EMCC walk-on good enough to be considered #3? If he is.... might have to give him a scholarship(1 year remaining) and get another walk-on. Unlikely we can find another QB at this stage to sign. Not ideal as we would prefer to RS him, but Thompson might have to be #2 next year.

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 06:28 PM
Option 1 no.
Option 2 no
Option 3? Why would a juco want to come in knowing the writing is on the wall? Makes no sense.

Option 1 - yes
Option 2 - if needed
Option 3 - if he thinks he can compete and possibly win the job.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Can we convince Damien to stay?

Reason2succeed
11-30-2016, 06:32 PM
I don't blame the kid. He has five years to make it big or bust. No reason for him to sit behind a future heisman contender especially when everyone knows Kt Thompson is the heir apparent.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 06:32 PM
I don't understand it. Tiano had every reason to think he could beat out Thompson and start his Senior year, while also knowing he would be 1 play away from being the starter next year if Fitz got hurt. Oh well, wish we could convince Damien or Staley to come back bc I really hoped we could RS Thompson

Dawgface
11-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Can we convince Damien to stay?

Wouldn't hurt to try. You can always find a package he could run for a series every game or two. A special play here and there. Something to entice him into staying.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 06:34 PM
Wouldn't hurt to try. You can always find a package he could run for a series every game or two. A special play here and there. Something to entice him into staying.

I totally agree

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 06:35 PM
Why is everyone upset?

Umm, bc we don't have a backup QB next year

fader2103
11-30-2016, 06:36 PM
I heard Shae Patterson might transfer ***

BoomBoom
11-30-2016, 06:36 PM

or you could view it as him working to take a chance, to find the place where he can succeed.

MaxedOutMaroon
11-30-2016, 06:37 PM
No you don't know the details so STFU. You're like one of those assmunches that gets upset when a player leaves early to persue his dream in the pros.

You are actually spot on. Ask Bear Wilson how those dreams turned out. He wanted back. However, I do support players like Chris Jones who leave early. I simply don't agree with leaving cause a freshman is coming in and a junior is ahead of you. But hey, you can agree.

RocketDawg
11-30-2016, 06:38 PM
I was afraid this was going to happen, but it's not really surprising.

Homedawg
11-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Option 1 - yes
Option 2 - if needed
Option 3 - if he thinks he can compete and possibly win the job.

Well fine. 1 and 3 aren't happening and if 2 happens we are fing toast. But whatever u wish.

Jarius
11-30-2016, 06:44 PM
I'm not mad at him at all, but it does make me laugh when I remember people saying he had that "Dak Prescott IT factor". Yea right. The last thing Precott would do would be run away from competition. I hope he has a great career and does great things but I don't want to hear that comparison again because it's an insult.

chisaintdog3
11-30-2016, 06:45 PM
Staley couldn't even start at the JUCO he transferring to. I don't blame Tiano for transferring. He has talent to start else where. Why sit around and waste a year or two waiting on Fitz to possibly get hurt.

Cloak
11-30-2016, 06:48 PM
One of my best friends that walked on as qb got cut this year. He's not the best but he did decent in a spring game a couple years back. Maybe they'll ask him to walk back on

Homedawg
Staley couldn't even start at the JUCO he transferring to. I don't blame Tiano for transferring. He has talent to start else where. Why sit around and waste a year or two waiting on Fitz to possibly get hurt.

So now he gets to waste one at juco.

archdog
It's not entitlement, it's his career. It's not like RB where you rotate guys every other play. QB baring injuries is there unless his helmet comes off or your up 40. Tiano probably should have seen time this year a couple of games. Mainly USA and UMass. He didn't. Fitz is a Soph. KT is going to be the man to take over. I hope we can get someone serviceable to allow KT to possible redshirt and give him a great shot at taking over as a Soph.

Maybe LAst Chance U walk-on can do it. I have no idea. Staley returning would be nice, but we all hoped Guano would have stayed. But it is his career, and the dude is going to be good. Sucks for us, but that is the only downside to having a clear starter Soph.

Dolphus Raymond
11-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Well, that sucks but I really don't blame him. Patterson looked like he would be an adequate back-up. Wonder if he would consider transferring in?**

TUSK
11-30-2016, 06:52 PM
Why is everyone upset?

Tiano wants to play and that's not happening in Starkville. This is the price of having a superstar young QB. It's already happened at Bama and will happen at Ole Miss

exactly... Embrace the Process....

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 06:55 PM
exactly... Embrace the Process....

We are finally starting to be like the big boys now!

Katdoc12
11-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Im not surprised since Fitz finished the season strong, Tiano doesnt want to look at not playing for another 2 yrs then having 1 year to make an impact. Staley returning not only is silly, but his dad is saying that that he thinks Mullen is leaving & that not playing isnt why Tiano is leaving. Anyone know what he's referencing? If there is something to it, then I would be worried.

Todd4State
11-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Here are the options:

1. No and I doubt that would happen anyway.

2. Only if we want to run the wildcat over and over again.

3. We need to find a Tyson Lee/Wyatt Roberts type that just wants to be a Bulldog. That's really the only logical solution.

I think we're in OK shape. Certainly not as good shape, but Roberts is better than most JUCO walk-ons. He played at arguably the best JUCO in America and I'm pretty sure he would have won a championship there had they been eligible except for their fighting other teams. If Fitz gets hurt, he is going to get the job back as soon as he is healthy anyway. And at least Roberts has been here this year and by this time next year he would have had another year of experience in our system. Personally I really wasn't all that impressed with Tiano's film and what very little I saw this year didn't tell me much either. He would have sat behind Fitzgerald for the next two years and then he would have had to have beaten out Keytaeon Thompson who is much more talented than he is. We really only have to get through next season without an injury since Fitz is just a sophomore. So, I don't really blame Tiano. I hope he does well at U T CHATTANOOGA. I hear they are a fine football program.

Also having a guy like Aeris helps because we can lean on him some. We couldn't do that with Holloway.

TaleofTwoDogs
The conversations on this board over the last 12 months or so:

From - "We are set at QB", - I've never felt this good about the QB situation at State", - Never thought I would be this excited about the QB situation at State"....

to

"17"

The MSU way.

UMCDawg16
Im not surprised since Fitz finished the season strong, Tiano doesnt want to look at not playing for another 2 yrs then having 1 year to make an impact. Staley returning not only is silly, but his dad is saying that that he thinks Mullen is leaving & that not playing isnt why Tiano is leaving. Anyone know what he's referencing? If there is something to it, then I would be worried.

I smear a bear..... Dan isn't going anywhere. Go take your rumors back to the Spirit.

RC3
Bullish!t

TUSK
11-30-2016, 07:06 PM
We are finally starting to be like the big boys now!

I won't be impressed with your level of commitment until I see this This Up North:

Todd4State
11-30-2016, 07:08 PM

If you're Dan Mullen it doesn't make any sense to leave right now. Why? We're 5-7. If he comes back and we win 8-10 with Fitz and then stays for Fitz's senior year and we win another 8-10 he's going to make a lot more money. Sounds like a lot of hard feelings to me. And I hate it for Staley but Dan made the right choice for us and I don't think there is any debate on that.

UMCDawg16
11-30-2016, 07:12 PM
I prefer this situation we are in. 1. Fitz is the man and the other QBs on the roster know it. Tiano knows he won't beat out Fitz and Thompson is the heir apparent. 2. This seals up us getting Thompson. He now knows he's the man after Fitz. No one to have to beat out. You guys that are worried about 'depth' are not thinking clearly. If you have to use your QB depth in the SEC west because of injury or otherwise, you aren't going to get where you wanted to that year anyway. Who cares if we have fewer BACKUP QBs. We need quality, not quantity and that's what we'll have with Fitz and Thompson.

Spiderman
11-30-2016, 07:13 PM
Umm, bc we don't have a backup QB next year

This... hell he was gonna be one snap from being the sarter behind a running QB who could go down at any time AND was probably guaranteed to be the starter for at least one year.

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 07:14 PM
I won't be impressed with your level of commitment until I see this This Up North:

Ha! Good one!

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 07:14 PM
The conversations on this board over the last 12 months or so:

From - "We are set at QB", - I've never felt this good about the QB situation at State", - Never thought I would be this excited about the QB situation at State"....

to

"17"

The MSU way.

Yes because the "State" way was never having 3-4 potential starters on the same team! We are usually lucky to have one decent one and "hopefully" a better one waiting in the wings.

UMCDawg16
11-30-2016, 07:15 PM
I don't understand it. Tiano had every reason to think he could beat out Thompson and start his Senior year, while also knowing he would be 1 play away from being the starter next year if Fitz got hurt. Oh well, wish we could convince Damien or Staley to come back bc I really hoped we could RS Thompson

Who wants to start their Senior year only? Especially someone with the talent of Tiano. I don't blame him one bit. Why would he sit on he bench for 2 years only to have the chance to start 1 year? Makes no sense. Good for him.

UMCDawg16
11-30-2016, 07:18 PM
This... hell he was gonna be one snap from being the sarter behind a running QB who could go down at any time AND was probably guaranteed to be the starter for at least one year.

See my response to Cadaver. No SEC caliber QB is going to ride the beach for 2-3 years to have the CHANCE to start one year. And to bank your chances of playing on a potential injury is asinine. He's making the smart decision whether we like it or not. At least he's doing it early and not wasting his eligibility like Damian.

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 07:18 PM
You could actually read this as Tiano KNOWS Dan isn't leaving. We know KT is coming unless Mullen leaves. It stands to reason Dan stays, KT arrives, Tiano becomes third string. He wants to play and he doesn't believe that's possible behind Fitz and KT.

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 07:26 PM
This... all you fellas want is someone to be obidient, tow the company line and wait his turn. Wait (and secretly hope) for an injury so you can play?? Wait 3+ years to get "your" chance to start. That's crap... you have a small window on being a football player, go find your best opportunity.

chisaintdog3
11-30-2016, 07:27 PM

How many State qb's have been hurt that missed an extended period of time? I know it takes one snap to change everything but He can go JUCO and transfer to a new school as a RS Junior. Compared to sitting behind Fitz for two years and possibly just starting his senior year if he wins the job against KT.

msbulldog
11-30-2016, 07:27 PM
It does suck. Is the EMCC walk-on good enough to be considered #3? If he is.... might have to give him a scholarship(1 year remaining) and get another walk-on. Unlikely we can find another QB at this stage to sign. Not ideal as we would prefer to RS him, but Thompson might have to be #2 next year.

Looked pretty good on Last Chance U., but that was Jr. College.

Coach007
11-30-2016, 07:28 PM
This is not smart of him. I'm ok with it, but not smart.

1- Fitz could have a break out year and go early.

2- Fitz get injured....

3- He has a chance to be the starter his senior season.

Just from a business stand point, it's not smart.

SDDawg
11-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Welcome to big boy shit. Big-time programs deal with this every year.

chisaintdog3
11-30-2016, 07:38 PM

2- Fitz get injured....

Those points are true but also look at it where he might be looking at it. Transfer to Juco to start this year and go to a new school where he can win the QB competition with two years as a starter. Fitz is here 2 more years more than likely. That means Tiano will be going up against KT for the QB1 postion as a senior. If he wins that just 1 years as a starter compared to possibly two years by going JUCO route.

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Welcome to big boy shit. Big-time programs deal with this every year.

This is the correct answer. Looks like we have arrived. We have qbs transferring because our starter is a stud and the guy coming in this January is gonna be a stud too! Like I said earlier I remember the times we had 4 or 5 qbs on the roster and they were all mediocre. We gonna be alright. The one thing for sure about Dan he can find and develop qb talent nobody else even notices. It is a touch scary without an experienced backup but we have roberts and KT will go through spring and fall practices. We gonna make it

1bigdawg
11-30-2016, 07:51 PM
Where is Tiano going? As I recall, his only other offer was Middle Tennessee. Does he think he has an important future away from MSU? Honestly, he is one injury to Fitz from potential stardom,

Katdoc12
11-30-2016, 07:52 PM
I smear a bear..... Dan isn't going anywhere. Go take your rumors back to the Spirit.

https://twitter.com/coachcamp42/status/804101630799056896?lang=en

Hope that works, I couldnt insert a screenshot. Not from me, from Staleys dad (@coachcamp42) who claims he still talks with people in the program. I also saw another parent of a current player say similar. I hope it is just disgruntled parents not happy that there kid wasnt the star at the next level. These are the only things that would worry me.

Todd4State
11-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Remember that our walk-on QB beat out Franklin at Auburn at QB in JUCO. Just to remind everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsxIuw5i0o

Katdoc12
11-30-2016, 07:54 PM
If you're Dan Mullen it doesn't make any sense to leave right now. Why? We're 5-7. If he comes back and we win 8-10 with Fitz and then stays for Fitz's senior year and we win another 8-10 he's going to make a lot more money. Sounds like a lot of hard feelings to me. And I hate it for Staley but Dan made the right choice for us and I don't think there is any debate on that.

I agree with this, & I hope thats all it is.

Turfdawg67
11-30-2016, 07:56 PM
https://twitter.com/coachcamp42/status/804101630799056896?lang=en

Hope that works, I couldnt insert a screenshot. Not from me, from Staleys dad (@coachcamp42) who claims he still talks with people in the program. I also saw another parent of a current player say similar. I hope it is just disgruntled parents not happy that there kid wasnt the star at the next level. These are the only things that would worry me.

I smell it too... it's almost unBEARable. 55-20!

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 07:57 PM
Remember that our walk-on QB beat out Franklin at Auburn at QB in JUCO. Just to remind everybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfsxIuw5i0o

Yep and years ago he probably would've started for us.

chisaintdog3
11-30-2016, 08:07 PM
Where is Tiano going? As I recall, his only other offer was Middle Tennessee. Does he think he has an important future away from MSU? Honestly, he is one injury to Fitz from potential stardom,

He had three offers out of high school Mississippi State, Chattanooga, and Miami (FL)

Really Clark?
11-30-2016, 08:10 PM

He doesn't know yet. Just exploring options. And he and Dam probably stay through the Bowl Game.

dawgday166
11-30-2016, 08:13 PM
He doesn't know yet. Just exploring options. And he and Dam probably stay through the Bowl Game.

Bama. We're sacrificing for those less fortunate. Their 3 deep doesn't have a QB ********

lamont
11-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Heard he was thinking of leaving a month ago- SMU was mentioned as a possible landing spot as was a juco

I dont blame him for transferring. Too much money involved in getting to the NFL to sit behind a starting Soph QB. This is big boy football and happens at the other schools. We have to keep recruiting

dawgday166
11-30-2016, 08:18 PM
Now if we just had about 3 or so 4* Olinemen wanting to transfer cause they would never play *****

maroonmania
11-30-2016, 08:24 PM

2- Fitz get injured....

Yea, this leaves us in a bind. Fitz is always one play away from going down and now there is ZERO chance to redshirt Thompson. Hope he is ready to play because a current HS senior is now our #2 QB.

Spiderman
11-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Yea, this leaves us in a bind. Fitz is always one play away from going down and now there is ZERO chance to redshirt Thompson. Hope he is ready to play because a current HS senior is now our #2 QB.

IF he signs

Todd4State
11-30-2016, 08:27 PM
Yep and years ago he probably would've started for us.

Exactly. Roberts is as good or better than Relf and Lee.

dawgday166
11-30-2016, 08:28 PM
IF he signs

I do like the way some folks take for granted an 18 yr old HS recruit 2 months before signing day.

GTHOM
11-30-2016, 08:29 PM
You cant have your cake and eat it too. If you have a good QB the others are going to want out. Its the way it goes. Fitz is the man and even the Chosen one K Thompson aint taking his spot. Tiano will go somewhere and do well. He was much much better than Staley and he was better than DW but Mullen loves the older players. Also, yall keep sleeping on Wyatt Roberts. He's a winner

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 08:31 PM
I do like the way some folks take for granted an 18 yr old HS recruit 2 months before signing day.

I thought KT was an EE?

GTHOM
11-30-2016, 08:32 PM
Exactly. Roberts is as good or better than Relf and Lee.

Hes better than Lee but his arm and legs arent touching Relf. But he is a tough kid and has sneaky athleticism. Makes good decisions and has all the intangibles. He's been in this situation before, he backed up Chad Kelly and beat out Franklin III who was supposed to be Auburns QB. He will be fine and so will we.

lamont
11-30-2016, 08:32 PM

he is actually signing in a week or so. He is an EE and will go thru bowl practice

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 08:33 PM
he is actually signing in a week or so. He is an EE and will go thru bowl practice

Exactly what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.

Spiderman
11-30-2016, 08:33 PM

Sure hope so, but until they do, I NEVER count on them

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-30-2016, 08:35 PM

Dan says Not if he transfers to UT-Chatnooga*

Commercecomet24
11-30-2016, 08:37 PM
Hes better than Lee but his arm and legs arent touching Relf. But he is a tough kid and has sneaky athleticism. Makes good decisions and has all the intangibles. He's been in this situation before, he backed up Chad Kelly and beat out Franklin III who was supposed to be Auburns QB. He will be fine and so will we.

Wyatt played at emcc with a couple kids I coached and they love the guy. He can throw it and he's not the athlete Tiano is but he's tough as nails and sure as heck don't mind running it and hitting someone. Just put it this way if he would've been the qb on the 09 team instead of Lee we probably go bowling.

NeshobaChuck
11-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Would Myles Brennan be an option to take at this point?? Just a thought

lamont
11-30-2016, 08:38 PM
Dan says Not if he transfers to UT-Chatnooga*

Looking at it from his perspective- he would have been better off this past season at a juco than watching Fitz play all season.

NeshobaChuck
11-30-2016, 08:39 PM
And I agree with the Roberts option the kid is tough an is a good option at QB as well IMO

GTHOM
11-30-2016, 08:42 PM

I hope not. He's not an SEC qb IMO. St Stanislaus throws it 50 plus times a game and they play no one. Any time they played Noxubee they got slaughtered and Mendenhall put them out this year. Plus he cant run. We'd be stupid to bring him in

Todd4State
11-30-2016, 08:42 PM

No. He's in the same class as Thompson.

Spiderman
11-30-2016, 08:51 PM

Horrible fit for us

msbulldog
11-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Myles Brennan decommitted from LSU today.

mparkerfd20
11-30-2016, 09:13 PM

Staley's dad is an attention whore. Well that may not be the right term, but he sure thinks highly of himself. He also says he thinks Mullen winds up at Florida when all is said and done.

Homedawg
11-30-2016, 09:17 PM

He won't go thru bowl practice, won't be done w school by then.

dawgs
11-30-2016, 09:18 PM

He could ride the bench here, or maybe he ends up starting and getting a chance to play professionally elsewhere. I don't blame him for trying to find his chance to play. His shot of playing here relied on fitz getting hurt or maybe in 2 seasons beating out a guy most consider to have a better skill set than him, and even then, he starts for 1 year, and suffers through those growing pains as a senior starter, whereas guys like dak and fitz went through it as redshirt soph a and have 2 years to show out.

Percho
11-30-2016, 09:28 PM
Everybody needs a: Tom Matte - Wikipedia

Jack Lambert
11-30-2016, 09:29 PM
It's not entitlement, it's his career. It's not like RB where you rotate guys every other play. QB baring injuries is there unless his helmet comes off or your up 40. Tiano probably should have seen time this year a couple of games. Mainly USA and UMass. He didn't. Fitz is a Soph. KT is going to be the man to take over. I hope we can get someone serviceable to allow KT to possible redshirt and give him a great shot at taking over as a Soph.

Maybe LAst Chance U walk-on can do it. I have no idea. Staley returning would be nice, but we all hoped Guano would have stayed. But it is his career, and the dude is going to be good. Sucks for us, but that is the only downside to having a clear starter Soph.

It must be generational. I view them as quitters. It's like these guys who can't make it in Public school that transfers to private. I say nut up, get stronger, work to get better and take that starting position away from Fitz. Once you start running from something that is hard as a young age you will continue to run for the rest of your life when things get tough.

He is one play away from being the starter. How you think Dak became the starter his Sophomore year? Russell got hurt.

Spiderman
11-30-2016, 09:37 PM
It must be generational. I view them as quitters. It's like these guys who can't make it in Public school that transfers to private. I say nut up, get stronger, work to get better and take that starting position away from Fitz. Once you start running from something that is hard as a young age you will continue to run for the rest of your life when things get tough.

The travel ball, everybody gets a trophy, I'm just as good so please Mama and Daddy go holler at the coach generation.

Glad I grew up playing ball in the real America, not the Safe Zone, My ****** Hurts Whatever This Country Is Now...

Bully13
11-30-2016, 10:14 PM
We will be fine. Hope the best for tiano. People need to understand that as long as Mullen is our coach., we will be the new QB U. that is now an established fact.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 10:41 PM
The travel ball, everybody gets a trophy, I'm just as good so please Mama and Daddy go holler at the coach generation.

Glad I grew up playing ball in the real America, not the Safe Zone, My ****** Hurts Whatever This Country Is Now...

Damn right

BoomBoom
11-30-2016, 10:51 PM

He is one play away from being the starter. How you think Dak became the starter his Sophomore year? Russell got hurt.

there's truth in that, but you do realize it doesn't work in every situation right? do you think someone in a job where they'll never be promoted shouldn't change jobs to where they can? you could say it's quitting to accept that you're just a backup, that you don't deserve to be a starter, rather than finding a place where you can start and proving your worth.

EliteDawgEnforcer
11-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Wrong. Katdoc is a big MSU fan and a good bulldog. Back off

Cooterpoot
12-01-2016, 04:31 AM

Staley dad is a ****tard. He's 90% of his sons problem. He's just trying to throw shade at Mullen because his precious couldn't get it done.

BB30
12-01-2016, 09:35 AM

Are you entitled to having a back up QB and are butt hurt that he is leaving seems mighty similar. Unless you know exactly what is going on then comments like these are unwarranted. And, who brought up this generation and taught them to be this way if that is in fact the case? Kids have to learn from something they don't just get this way on their own.

As for the NFL comments... Fitz will not be leaving early he is still extremely raw. I am a bit surprised that Tiano is leaving... But the way I look at it is if he is for some reason scared of competition then he isn't our guy anyway and we will find somebody that will work out. It does leave us in a little bit of a bind especially with the way we use Fitz and our QBs. It does suck but things go both ways from time to time and we do drop a kid occasionally. It happens everywhere just sucks that we are down to one QB. The good news is Thompson is fairly polished for a high school QB from what info we have on him.

maroonmania
12-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Exactly, in fact, Williams even started some that year because we couldn't keep any QBs healthy. Look all over college football and you will see that its only about a 50/50 proposition that a starting QB gets through the season without being knocked out with injury during either some portion of the season or for the rest of the season at some point. In 2007 we had Wesley Carroll become our starter as a true freshman QB because 2 guys ahead of him got knocked out for the year.

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Are you entitled to having a back up QB and are butt hurt that he is leaving seems mighty similar. Unless you know exactly what is going on then comments like these are unwarranted. And, who brought up this generation and taught them to be this way if that is in fact the case? Kids have to learn from something they don't just get this way on their own.

As for the NFL comments... Fitz will not be leaving early he is still extremely raw. I am a bit surprised that Tiano is leaving... But the way I look at it is if he is for some reason scared of competition then he isn't our guy anyway and we will find somebody that will work out. It does leave us in a little bit of a bind especially with the way we use Fitz and our QBs. It does suck but things go both ways from time to time and we do drop a kid occasionally. It happens everywhere just sucks that we are down to one QB. The good news is Thompson is fairly polished for a high school QB from what info we have on him.

They didn't learn the entitlement from me in my coaching years, and my kids damn sure aren't. I have caught a ton of flack locally for not letting my son play travel ball. This is gonna hurt a bunch of feelings, but 9 yrs old is too damn young to play travel ball.

Let's see how much everybody loves Tiano if Fitz goes down early next year and we can't break glass.

Matt Wyatt pretty much said what I did, back when he played if you were on the bench, you worked your butt off to start. You didn't transfer and quit. He went on to say it's not necessarily the kids , but mom and dad. Which goes back to my original point.

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
The good news is Thompson is fairly polished for a high school QB from what info we have on him.

I'd argue the opposite. Key is extremely talented but raw. I wouldn't want him playing next year. He's basically a high school version of Fitz with more touch on his passes, but all the same footwork & mechanical issues

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 10:06 AM
I'd argue the opposite. Key is extremely talented but raw. I wouldn't want him playing next year.

Well said, it's like most have forgot OM the last 3 weeks, with the Elite 11 MVP, who was an EE, then went thru most of the year getting reps. VERY talented, but raw, not near ready.

BB30
12-01-2016, 10:11 AM
They didn't learn the entitlement from me in my coaching years, and my kids damn sure aren't. I have caught a ton of flack locally for not letting my son play travel ball. This is gonna hurt a bunch of feelings, but 9 yrs old is too damn young to play travel ball.

Let's see how much everybody loves Tiano if Fitz goes down early next year and we can't break glass.

Matt Wyatt pretty much said what I did, back when he played if you were on the bench, you worked your butt off to start. You didn't transfer and quit. He went on to say it's not necessarily the kids , but mom and dad. Which goes back to my original point.

Oh I completely agree 100% and I am a fringe Millenial I think born in 90 played baseball for 20 years through college and a couple of years in the minors. I am 100% against year around travel ball. I do think summer teams have their place in kids that have college/professional upside especially in rural MS where it can be tough to get seen at some of the smaller schools and the competition faced is not as good. I am not saying what Tiano did is right or wrong and it certainly leaves us in a bind. What I am saying is that there is usually a cause and effect and some of the people bitching about millenials don't understand that a large part of that is due to helicopter parenting from a young age. I help at several area schools with pitchers and the parents are just as ridiculous as the kids. Kids learn from their parents and yes kids in this generation are soft I was fortunate in that I had parents that were not like that and quitting was not an option once you made a commitment.

As for Tiano until we know the details we can't assume that him leaving is solely based on playing time. It very well may be. But, would you want a QB on the roster taking up a spot that is scared of competition? I sure wouldn't, whether he could help us in case of injury or not ultimately the fear of failure and competition will cost him in a game situation anyway. If he is leaving due to competition etc then we shouldn't want him hear anyway and should sign a kid that will come in work hard and earn it. I guess what I am saying is that ultimately that attitude would be a liability once he got on the field.

Spiderman
12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Oh I completely agree 100% and I am a fringe Millenial I think born in 90 played baseball for 20 years through college and a couple of years in the minors. I am 100% against year around travel ball. I do think summer teams have their place in kids that have college/professional upside especially in rural MS where it can be tough to get seen at some of the smaller schools and the competition faced is not as good. I am not saying what Tiano did is right or wrong and it certainly leaves us in a bind. What I am saying is that there is usually a cause and effect and some of the people bitching about millenials don't understand that a large part of that is due to helicopter parenting from a young age. I help at several area schools with pitchers and the parents are just as ridiculous as the kids. Kids learn from their parents and yes kids in this generation are soft I was fortunate in that I had parents that were not like that and quitting was not an option once you made a commitment.

As for Tiano until we know the details we can't assume that him leaving is solely based on playing time. It very well may be. But, would you want a QB on the roster taking up a spot that is scared of competition? I sure wouldn't, whether he could help us in case of injury or not ultimately the fear of failure and competition will cost him in a game situation anyway. If he is leaving due to competition etc then we shouldn't want him hear anyway and should sign a kid that will come in work hard and earn it. I guess what I am saying is that ultimately that attitude would be a liability once he got on the field.

The parents are WAY worse than the kids. (And the worst are usually the ones that had zero athletic accomplishments themselves.)

I have the idea that local tee ball thru little league should be coached only by non parents and no one but coaches and players should be allowed in the park for the 1st 3 games. Then let folks back in the next 3. Then poll the kids and ask which was more fun. I bet my left nut it will be the 1st 3 games.

BB30
12-01-2016, 10:22 AM
I'd argue the opposite. Key is extremely talented but raw. I wouldn't want him playing next year. He's basically a high school version of Fitz with more touch on his passes, but all the same footwork & mechanical issues

He is raw in a sense that he hasn't taken an SEC snap yes. He is light years ahead of where Fitz was at that time in the passing game and understanding of simple spread offensive concepts. The kids numbers are pretty salty in high school league that is pretty solid at a high school that has not had a history of being a consistent threat. Will he be ready next year to jump in and start, hell no. Will he have the ability to come in and learn quickly in my opinion yes, especially being an EE. Do I want him to have to step in and play barring an injury next season, no but we have had worse back ups and there have been several freshman QBs have early success. Lamar Jackson was a 3 star that completed 45% of his passes in high school he has turned out to be pretty decent I would say. Jalen Hurts completed around 60% of his passes his senior year and threw for 1500 yds with 18 td and 3 picks neither of those guys highschool stats were much different than Thompson.

And as for Patterson, The kid has played pretty decent and had Chad Kelly not gotten the majority of first team reps you could argue that he would have been ready to be serviceable. The kid went into A&M despite them being on their downward slide and won in front of 100,000 people making his first start that is not exactly terrible. He also had several drops in the vandy game that could have made a difference and helped their offense put up over 500yds on us.

tcdog70
12-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Wyatt Roberts, is a very capable backup. He is from a very long line of Scooba QB who have beaten the $hit out their opponents. he was a winner in High School and JUCO. So running out to hire a JUCO Qb is asinine when we Have a JUCO QB who lead His team to a hell of a season and Beat out a Prima Donna who is now playing for Auburn. i am not so sure that Tiano is more SEC ready than Roberts is anyway. Roberts already knows how to read a defense and is very accurate.

Bama_Dawg
12-01-2016, 11:18 AM

Thought we discussed this and IYOK said that he's still playing and Fitz had a special circumstance where his HS did exams earlier than normal schools. May not be the case for KT.

dawgs
12-01-2016, 11:24 AM

1) 9 is too young for travel ball. I agree.

2) I am very concerned with the QB depth chart next year. We all are. I hope fitz stays relatively healthy, and if he needs to step out for a few plays, hopefully the last chance u kid can take a snap and hand off a few plays until he gets back in. Any extended injury means Thompson doesn't redshirt.

3) even with my concern over the depth chart, I also 100% understand why tiano would transfer. If he waited until after next season, he'd only have 1 year of eligibility left, so basically it was transfer now or stay here and hope he gets his shot. Can't fault him for the decision, and backup QBs that want to play and are blocked by a guy until their senior year have been transferring for decades. It's not a generational thing and it's understandable for guys looking like career backups to seek out a place they have a better opportunity to play.