PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Williams

CadaverDawg
11-29-2016, 08:34 PM
I've seen a lot of projected lineups for 2017, but haven't seen Williams mentioned in many. Wasn't he back up Center when he got hurt? Isn't he our likely Center for next year, or am I missing something?

Seems like Rankin, Calhoun, Williams, Story, and Jenkins across the line would be solid. Who would be our depth? Moon, Champion, Cochran, Reese? That's not bad depth compared to where we've been the past few years. Still not tons of star power, but if we're going to get lesser OL talent...we need to get more of it each year. More HS OLmen please, if we're going to keep Hev. I do like our OL next year more than I usually do. (Not that that's saying much).

Who am I forgetting? Can someone list out all of the OL we'll have next year, and who we think will start and add depth?

msstate7
11-29-2016, 08:40 PM
LT -- rankin
LG -- Jenkins
C -- Calhoun
RG -- champion
RT -- ?

Coursesuper
11-29-2016, 08:46 PM
I've seen a lot of projected lineups for 2017, but haven't seen Williams mentioned in many. Wasn't he back up Center when he got hurt? Isn't he our likely Center for next year, or am I missing something?

Seems like Rankin, Calhoun, Williams, Story, and Jenkins across the line would be solid. Who would be our depth? Moon, Champion, Cochran, Reese? That's not bad depth compared to where we've been the past few years. Still not tons of star power, but if we're going to get lesser OL talent...we need to get more of it each year. More HS OLmen please, if we're going to keep Hev. I do like our OL next year more than I usually do. (Not that that's saying much).

Who am I forgetting? Can someone list out all of the OL we'll have next year, and who we think will start and add depth?

74 has to stay at guard, story is definitely not ready he was getting abused on a regular basis when he was playing. We. Have to find a right tackle.

preachermatt83
11-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Jenkins should never move from Guard. He was outstanding there. I figure moon and Eiland will get some quality snaps.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2016, 08:56 PM
LT -- rankin
LG -- Jenkins
C -- Calhoun
RG -- champion
RT -- ?

Normally, I would say Hayes at RT considering he has a UGA offer and a UF offer. But I've learned my lesson about projecting Juco's to start immediately. I really don't know who else can play RT. As we all know, that has been a big weakness on signing day. You have Parker and Eiland.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-29-2016, 08:57 PM
74 has to stay at guard, story is definitely not ready he was getting abused on a regular basis when he was playing. We. Have to find a right tackle.

Story actually played well in the Kentucky game. After the BYU gane where he came in cold he was solid. I expect Calhoun to play center. The big question is RT. We know Jenkins can play it but would be great if someone could take the job to keep him at LG.

msstate7
11-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Normally, I would say Hayes at RT considering he has a UGA offer and a UF offer. But I've learned my lesson about projecting Juco's to start immediately. I really don't know who else can play RT. As we all know, that has been a big weakness on signing day. You have Parker and Eiland.

How likely is Hayes to sign?

msstate7
11-29-2016, 09:02 PM
What's Williams' status? Is he healthy?

Commercecomet24
11-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Story actually played well in the Kentucky game. After the BYU gane where he came in cold he was solid. I expect Calhoun to play center. The big question is RT. We know Jenkins can play it but would be great if someone could take the job to keep him at LG.

I actually thought story was good this year for a rookie. He held his own. Sure he had some growing pains but that's part of it, I remember Sherrod not being a monster his first year too. Story got the skills just needs the reps.

BeastMan
11-29-2016, 09:19 PM

This is my ideal OL:

LT Rankin
LG Reese
C Calhoun
RG Storey
RT Jenkins

If Reese makes a bug jump in the spring to the starting 5 it would be a great sign. Another good one would be if Moon or Williams made a huge jump at center (that would get Calhoun at guard). That way you're not counting on too much out of either of the juco guys and they can be swing guys.

lamont
11-29-2016, 09:29 PM
I want Rankin at LT and Jenkins at LG- at the very worst- we will be good on the left side of our OL. Dont break up success.- just build the other side and work the hell out of them. Dont weaken what we have already built. Work hard to build the other side

Coursesuper
11-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I want Rankin at LT and Jenkins at LG- at the very worst- we will be good on the left side of our OL. Dont break up success.- just build the other side and work the hell out of them. Dont weaken what we have already built. Work hard to build the other side

This is what has to happen we cannot afford t break up a very solid left side. We have to find a right side.

WSOPdawg
11-29-2016, 09:56 PM
So we've listed Moon, Calhoun and Williams as possible at center... cool as we've apparently got options.

Agree with Jenkins settling in at LG, this seems to be his best position and we've experienced positive results.

Time to work on and develop the right side of the line imo.

hailmari
11-29-2016, 10:38 PM
I believe Story tore his ACL. Although, he should be fine to play by next fall, he may fall behind a guy or two and have to work his way back up depth-wise.

MafiaDawg
11-29-2016, 10:54 PM
Is kent flowers ever returning?

Dallas_Dawg
11-30-2016, 12:25 AM
Is kent flowers ever returning?

Hell naw

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 12:32 AM
So out of all these responses, I still haven't gotten an answer to why Darryl Williams isn't being mentioned.

#1. Was he not the backup Center this year? (Including lots of talk about his potential)

#2. Why is he not being listed as the Center? Seems everyone agrees that Calhoun needs to be on the right side if possible. So wouldn't Williams allow for that?

#3. Is the injury career threatening or something? Is that why nobody is mentioning him?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2016, 12:33 AM
He wasn't the backup center. He's been at guard for the last year or so. I expect Calhoun to play center. If he has NFL dreams center is the best position for him considering his height.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2016, 12:35 AM

I agree with this because not only does it help us maximize our strengths, it also helps us get off to a fast start next year. With the left side of the line & backfield intact, our run game, at least to the left side, will be able to hit the ground running from day 1.

The only way I consider breaking up Rankin & Jenkins is if Reese, Champion, or one of the young guards are just hell on wheels & make moving Jenkins to RT obvious.

Also remember, Hev always talks about getting the best 5 linemen on the field & I don't expect next year to be any different. If moving Jenkins allows us to get the best 5 on the field, that's what he's going to do

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 12:37 AM
He wasn't the backup center. He's been at guard for the last year or so. I expect Calhoun to play center. If he has NFL dreams center is the best position for him considering his height.

Ok cool, thanks. For some reason I thought he was at Center filling in for an injured Clayborn when he got hurt. Guess I misremembered. So is he not a contributor next year in your eyes? I thought he was recruited as a Center

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 12:40 AM
I was super impressed with Jordan Thomas lead blocking on a lot of our run plays. When we had him and Jenkins pulling and leading the way...that was a helluva lotta beef moving at a fast speed ahead of Fitz and A-Train. Thomas is a weapon...great in the run game AND great hands

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2016, 01:04 AM
If he's 100% healthy sure Williams can factor in. I was actually surprised that Story went in ahead of him when Calhoun went down. I've really heard good things on Reese & that's it's going to be tough to keep him out of a starting job next year. The 3 RS guys that I've heard could have the biggest impact next year are Reese, Cam Dantzler, & Reggie Todd. That's not even mentioning Kobe Jones or Erroll Thompson who will contribute also.

CadaverDawg
11-30-2016, 01:12 AM
If he's 100% healthy sure Williams can factor in. I was actually surprised that Story went in ahead of him when Calhoun went down. I've really heard good things on Reese & that's it's going to be tough to keep him out of a starting job next year. The 3 RS guys that I've heard could have the biggest impact next year are Reese, Cam Dantzler, & Reggie Todd. That's not even mentioning Kobe Jones or Erroll Thompson who will contribute also.

That's great news. All 3 at positions of needed depth too. Is Dantzler a CB or Safety? And what is CJ Morgan looking like? I liked what I saw out of him in film....your thoughts?

Also, Chris Stamps? Career backup, or potential?

Ifyouonlyknew
11-30-2016, 08:32 AM
Dantzler is a CB, Morgan-Walker is a safety, & Stamps can never stay 100% healthy to give a fair assessment.

HSVDawg
11-30-2016, 10:01 AM
This is my ideal OL:

LT Rankin
LG Reese
C Calhoun
RG Storey
RT Jenkins

If Reese makes a bug jump in the spring to the starting 5 it would be a great sign. Another good one would be if Moon or Williams made a huge jump at center (that would get Calhoun at guard). That way you're not counting on too much out of either of the juco guys and they can be swing guys.

I'm probably going to regret asking this, but is there any chance Tommy Champion (aka JJ Grant redux) can step in and play RT if he is going to be here in January and going through spring practice? If so, that could put us in good shape with Jenkins staying at LG and possibly Reese at RG with Story as the swing guard. Or maybe Story wins the battle against Reese and then Reese becomes the swing. Sounds like that might be ideal, albeit maybe not realistic.

KB21
11-30-2016, 10:27 AM
That's great news. All 3 at positions of needed depth too. Is Dantzler a CB or Safety? And what is CJ Morgan looking like? I liked what I saw out of him in film....your thoughts?

Also, Chris Stamps? Career backup, or potential?

I know I have seen it mentioned by Paul Jones that Cam Danztler may be the best cornerback on the team.

KB21
11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
What exactly was Daryl Williams's injury?