PDA

View Full Version : What I saw in the EB, did you see it?

Coach 57
11-29-2016, 03:38 PM
I rarely watch the QB when watching a game. My eyes are normally focused on the contest between both lines. The L.O.S is where games are won and lost. I saw a very talented DL of OM get schemed from the snap of the football. I saw Jenkins destroying OM players from skill guys to interior DL to DEs that tried to twist. He played like a young man full of anger and consistently blew Bears up all over the field no matter where they pulled him to.

The thinner DLmen were getting clocked in the ear hole all night long. MSU started to run more of a pro-set style of run blocking in that game that OM wasn't prepared to deal with. And it paved the way to big run play after big run play all night long!

The OL, not Fitz was the story of this game! I'm a fruit guy, I believe your world will bear fruit and the fruits of the OL were Fitz & Aeris with huge nights and an MSU win. This group of kids really gave it their all and sold out to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. And OLmen love to run block because they can be aggressive rather than retreat (like in pass blocking). Hev has done a good job with these boys. Stop selling him short he's produced some NFL talent under his watch, one of which (Gabe) is a staple for the Raiders right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, leave the guy alone and let him coach. He knows what he's doing.

jumbo
11-29-2016, 03:46 PM
The OL played probably their best game of the year. OM only had 1 TFL.

FISHDAWG
11-29-2016, 03:48 PM
I get what you're saying but I still don't think the OL would have overcome Holloway up the middle ... a lot of credit should be thrown towards Aeris

Commercecomet24
11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
I wish you would post more, 57! I love reading your analysis. I've rewatched the game a couple times just to watch our ol and they were awesome! Jenkins blew people up left and right! Thanks for your post!

MadDawg
11-29-2016, 03:51 PM
I'll give the OL all the props in the world They played great. But Fitz made the correct reads all night long. He's been steadily improving in this area. He will be very good the next two years. So props to the OL, Fitz and Aeris.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2016, 03:59 PM
I posted this the other day.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?50909-Number-74-(Jenkins)-worked-his-ass-off-today

Todd4State
11-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Well I wasn't really watching the o-line and I still noticed Jenkins blowing people up. He was noticeably dominant.

AROB44
11-29-2016, 04:36 PM
I rarely watch the QB when watching a game. My eyes are normally focused on the contest between both lines. The L.O.S is where games are won and lost. I saw a very talented DL of OM get schemed from the snap of the football. I saw Jenkins destroying OM players from skill guys to interior DL to DEs that tried to twist. He played like a young man full of anger and consistently blew Bears up all over the field no matter where they pulled him to.

The thinner DLmen were getting clocked in the ear hole all night long. MSU started to run more of a pro-set style of run blocking in that game that OM wasn't prepared to deal with. And it paved the way to big run play after big run play all night long!

The OL, not Fitz was the story of this game! I'm a fruit guy, I believe your world will bear fruit and the fruits of the OL were Fitz & Aeris with huge nights and an MSU win. This group of kids really gave it their all and sold out to sacrifice themselves for the good of the team. And OLmen love to run block because they can be aggressive rather than retreat (like in pass blocking). Hev has done a good job with these boys. Stop selling him short he's produced some NFL talent under his watch, one of which (Gabe) is a staple for the Raiders right now. I've said it before and I'll say it again, leave the guy alone and let him coach. He knows what he's doing.

Unfortunately this will not happen. Too many people on here know much much more than any coach we have.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Unfortunately this will not happen. Too many people on here know much much more than any coach we have.

I don't think coaching them up is his issue. As long as we can get the talent to sign, I wouldn't hate it to have Hev on staff. I don't mind if Oline and Dline coaches are more developers of talent rather than pure recruiters.

PassInterference
11-29-2016, 04:57 PM
We certainly did kick a lot of ass on the LOS.

PassInterference
11-29-2016, 04:58 PM
I don't think coaching them up is his issue. As long as we can get the talent to sign, I wouldn't hate it to have Hev on staff. I don't mind if Oline and Dline coaches are more developers of talent rather than pure recruiters.

But that's the rub on Hev. He apparently has a defeatist attitude about recruiting. Doesn't try very hard and assumes talented players will go elsewhere. So I hear.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2016, 05:02 PM
But that's the rub on Hev. He apparently has a defeatist attitude about recruiting. Doesn't try very hard and assumes talented players will go elsewhere. So I hear.

Have him adopt a cripple kid and ask the NCAA for permission to replace him on the recruiting field. That's kind of what Ole MIss did but did not have to adopt.

DeviousDawg
11-29-2016, 05:05 PM
They have really started to gel in the past 5 or so games. I don't see anyone bitching about redshirting Rankin anymore. It would have been devistating to lose him too after this year. I still think he takes a big jump during the offseason and gets drafted in the 2018 NFL draft(4th-6th round).

Also, I saw a lot of good blocking from our Tight End group Saturday. We were almost using Jordan Thomas as an extra OT similiar to what the Raiders have been doing this year. He also made some nice catches for a 6-6 290 lb man and one of them was a big 3rd down conversion. Don't forget that although we signed him out of JUCO, he has 3 to play 3. I'm excited to see his development over the next two years.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
If we'd only landed Lashley in last year's class. He was BY FAR a bigger loss than AJ Frown

the59dawg
11-29-2016, 05:42 PM
They have really started to gel in the past 5 or so games. I don't see anyone bitching about redshirting Rankin anymore. It would have been devistating to lose him too after this year. I still think he takes a big jump during the offseason and gets drafted in the 2018 NFL draft(4th-6th round).

Also, I saw a lot of good blocking from our Tight End group Saturday. We were almost using Jordan Thomas as an extra OT similiar to what the Raiders have been doing this year. He also made some nice catches for a 6-6 290 lb man and one of them was a big 3rd down conversion. Don't forget that although we signed him out of JUCO, he has 3 to play 3. I'm excited to see his development over the next two years.

With Jenkins on his right and Farod Green frequently on his left, Rankin has begun to play like we hoped he would. IMO Jenkins especially made Rankin better.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2016, 05:47 PM

Receivers and backs were blocking their asses off too. Aeris blew up a DB on Ross's TD catch.

Somebody lit a fire under them and it was good to see. Those things are almost all effort.

basedog
11-29-2016, 06:22 PM
57, good post, I saw Jenkins play well against the Aggies and was impressed.

Our future is looking better, signing around 30 guys will be a positive overall for the future imo.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-29-2016, 06:58 PM
The thing that has been missing most of last year and the first half of this year was downfield blocking by the OL. Props to the WRs for their blocks but it's the Big Boys downfield that scare the shat out of the DBs.
Watch the Dallas OL and notice that they rarely give up on the play and continue to target defenders. That's how you run block.

Corn Bread
11-29-2016, 07:59 PM

Jenkins played like someone talked about his mama. He is a bad ass.

Dallas_Dawg
11-30-2016, 12:38 AM
57, i always enjoy your posts. But the knock on Hev is that he doesn't recruit well. Everybody says he's an asshole.
We can find an OL coach that can both coach AND recruit.
We can't look at the last game only. We have to remember the USA game where we couldn't run on those guys. Or the Auburn game. Or any game against a great D-line and we absolutely get pushed around
Look what Dak is doing with a great O line. Imagine what he could have done with a halfway decent OL in 2015

GTHOM
11-30-2016, 01:35 AM
Good stuff. The OL really started to gel in the 2nd half of the season. Hell Aeris averaged 5 ypc vs Bama. We're losing Senior, Desper and Clayborne but Jenkins and Rankin are looking pretty damn good. Hopefully we have guys step up in the offseason and sign Tommy Champion

Reason2succeed
11-30-2016, 04:41 AM
It makes sense that the OL would become more intentional and better at run blocking now that they know they have home run hitters like Aeris and Fitz back there. No one wants to be the game that is the focus of film review all week because they missed the block that would have been the game winning td.

BB30
11-30-2016, 09:41 AM
57, i always enjoy your posts. But the knock on Hev is that he doesn't recruit well. Everybody says he's an asshole.
We can find an OL coach that can both coach AND recruit.
We can't look at the last game only. We have to remember the USA game where we couldn't run on those guys. Or the Auburn game. Or any game against a great D-line and we absolutely get pushed around
Look what Dak is doing with a great O line. Imagine what he could have done with a halfway decent OL in 2015

Actually, this is not looking at just one game. I don't know if you watched the last 5-6 games but our OL played much much better. It took this unit a little bit of time to gel but once they did they started playing really well. I would even say they held their own against a Bama group that could quite possibly be one of the most dominant fronts in several years. If your going to knock the guy when his unit struggles don't try and make it look like they only got up for one game this year. We came out against USA trying to sling the ball around and actually had a decent day on the ground. Auburn was just plain terrible, outside of those two games if you paid attention to the OL they improved every week and ended up being a solid unit down the stretch. You can actually go back and even in the LSU game they played alright and we had opportunities to make plays that we just missed(not on OL) The OL played well enough to win against KY and BYU. Most of our losses can be places squarely on poor defense and missing a few big plays here and there.

BTW against USA we averaged 7 YPC and rushed for 250. Not exactly a terrible day on the ground

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2016, 10:14 AM
Actually, this is not looking at just one game. I don't know if you watched the last 5-6 games but our OL played much much better. It took this unit a little bit of time to gel but once they did they started playing really well. I would even say they held their own against a Bama group that could quite possibly be one of the most dominant fronts in several years. If your going to knock the guy when his unit struggles don't try and make it look like they only got up for one game this year. We came out against USA trying to sling the ball around and actually had a decent day on the ground. Auburn was just plain terrible, outside of those two games if you paid attention to the OL they improved every week and ended up being a solid unit down the stretch. You can actually go back and even in the LSU game they played alright and we had opportunities to make plays that we just missed(not on OL) The OL played well enough to win against KY and BYU. Most of our losses can be places squarely on poor defense and missing a few big plays here and there.

BTW against USA we averaged 7 YPC and rushed for 250. Not exactly a terrible day on the ground

We didn't look like a SEC Oline against USA. We should have steamrolled them since we outweighed their 2nd string Dline by 50 lbs but we didn't. I don't know if it was coaching and/or strength and conditioning but we didn't look good.

We played a lot better down the stretch but now the problem is we have less returning starters next year than we had starting this year. I don't know what the issues were but it shouldn't take half the season to get the Oline to look competent.

shoeless joe
11-30-2016, 10:24 AM
If we'd only landed Lashley in last year's class. He was BY FAR a bigger loss than AJ Frown

No he wasn't.

BB30
11-30-2016, 11:02 AM
We didn't look like a SEC Oline against USA. We should have steamrolled them since we outweighed their 2nd string Dline by 50 lbs but we didn't. I don't know if it was coaching and/or strength and conditioning but we didn't look good.

We played a lot better down the stretch but now the problem is we have less returning starters next year than we had starting this year. I don't know what the issues were but it shouldn't take half the season to get the Oline to look competent.

Point is O line was not the only reason we sucked the first half of the year. Nor would I say they were our biggest issue this year. Do you want T buck fired?

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2016, 12:19 PM
Point is O line was not the only reason we sucked the first half of the year. Nor would I say they were our biggest issue this year. Do you want T buck fired?

I would say more than anything that Fitz and Williams physical run style is what benefited the entire team. We were a finesse team that turned back into a power running team. I think that mind set more than anything is horrible for a Olineman in the SEC.

Sacrifice
11-30-2016, 01:08 PM
Jenkins defiantly has a mean streak and the speed to pull around and get on somebody

BB30
11-30-2016, 02:15 PM
I would say more than anything that Fitz and Williams physical run style is what benefited the entire team. We were a finesse team that turned back into a power running team. I think that mind set more than anything is horrible for a Olineman in the SEC.

Completely agree and if that is the case then that really did not have all that much to do with Hev.

Percho
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
I want to see more stomping folks downfield*** That I miss.