PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Discussion

Token Bammer
11-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Who's in and who's out? Not from the media's perspective because they insist OSU is "in", but the committee's perspective which is all that matters. Which list is more likely to be their perspective?

Assuming the favorites win their championship games....

1) BAMA
2) OSU (what the media thinks)
3) Clemson
4) Washington/PSU/Wisky

Or is it conference champ heavy...

1) BAMA
2) Clemson
3) Washington
4) PSU/Wisky/OSU

I think precedent shows the latter, but I also think OSU is likely the 2nd or 3rd best team right now. If PSU and Washington win things will get interesting for OSU in a hurry. Penn State will have won the head to head, the division, and the conference championship. Throw in a Washington win and we may have the beginning of an OSU cryfest that may echo into an eight team playoff discussion. The committee, at least in the last two seasons, has stated and shown they weigh conference championships heavy. The best thing for the committee would be a Penn state and/or a Washington loss. I personally want to see chaos so I will be pulling for PSU, Washington, and Clemson.Thoughts?

msstate7
11-29-2016, 01:56 PM
1. Bama
2. Ohio state
3. Washington
4. Penn state

VT beats Clemson

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 02:03 PM
No upsets in the conference championships will yield:

1 Bama
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson
4 Washington

If there is an upset it will be

1 Bama
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson/Washington (which ever wins)
4 Penn St/Wisconsin

If something really wild happens and both Clemson and Washington lose then you could end up with Bama plus 3 Big 10 teams like

1 Bama
2 Ohio State
3 Penn St/Wisconsin
4 Michigan

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2016, 02:08 PM
1. Bama
2. Bama
3. Bama
4. Bama

Doesn't matter. They win the NC by double digits

jumbo
11-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Bama, Washington, Clemson, OSU assuming no upsets.

Token Bammer
11-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Just remember, OSU finished last season 11-1 with their only loss coming at the hands of Michigan State which was their conference champion. In the final college football playoff committee rankings OSU finished 7th behind the Big Ten runner up Iowa at #5 and the 11-2 PAC-12 champion Stanford at #6. Just some food for thought.

HoopsDawg
11-29-2016, 02:19 PM
No upsets in the conference championships will yield:

1 Bama
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson
4 Washington

If there is an upset it will be

1 Bama
2 Ohio State
3 Clemson/Washington (which ever wins)
4 Penn St/Wisconsin

Exactly, it's pretty clear cut, imo. I guess the talking heads on the radio have to make stuff up to fill air/get listeners. Danny Kannell is just brutal to listen to.

Token Bammer
11-29-2016, 02:20 PM
1. Bama
2. Bama
3. Bama
4. Bama

Doesn't matter. They win the NC by double digits

I like the way you think.

oildawg
11-29-2016, 02:23 PM
It should be (based on the best 4 teams):
1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Michigan
4) Clemson

It will be:
1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Washington

Jack Lambert
11-29-2016, 02:25 PM
If Penn State wins the Big 10, along with beating OSU and don't get in but OSU does the whole thing is bull shit.

smootness
11-29-2016, 02:33 PM
I don't see how Wisconsin or Penn State would get in over 1-loss Clemson or Washington. Washington hasn't had a fantastic schedule, but wins over Stanford, Utah, Washington State, and Colorado would be good. Penn State beat Ohio State but beyond that, their only impressive wins would be Wisconsin and Iowa, and they lost twice, one of them to Pitt.

Ohio State hasn't had a consistently tough schedule, but the Oklahoma and Michigan wins are pretty huge. So I think they'll get in.

I think it has to be Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Washington if they all win.

smootness
11-29-2016, 02:37 PM
It should be (based on the best 4 teams):
1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Michigan
4) Clemson

It will be:
1) Bama
2) Ohio State
3) Clemson
4) Washington

Washington is better than Clemson, IMO.

smootness
11-29-2016, 02:38 PM
If Penn State wins the Big 10, along with beating OSU and don't get in but OSU does the whole thing is bull shit.

Why? They lost twice, once to Pitt.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2016, 02:43 PM

They beat Ohio State and they will have played in the championship and won it. OSU is in the same and did not win it.

Gutter Cobreh
11-29-2016, 03:00 PM
I think it will be conference champions heavy, but with an emphasis on programs that travel well.

If you don't think that team support is important, then you're crazy. When you price playoff and championship tickets, it gets expensive real quick. The committee will look for ways to justify schools that travel well, and unfortunately Ohio State fits that narrative so they are very much in the discussion. Not sure Washington fits there and could be bumped.

I potentially see Bama, Penn State, OSU, and Clemson

dawgday166
11-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Compare Penn State's last 8 games to OSU & Michigan. Is it the best team now ... or the best record?

ETA: And Wisconsin lost close games to OSU & Mich plus ... they beat someone out of the MIGHTY S E C. **** Ha.

I think it will be about $$. Therefore OSU gets in.

Coach 57
11-29-2016, 03:24 PM
I agree on the lists of conference champions & traveling fan bases. But as far as match ups are concerned Washington if they get to face Bama can cause a lot of constranation to Saban's defense because they're going to take deep shots like OM did and stretch the defense vertically. Bama if they face any other team will win easily but playing Bama for Washington would be a great match up for them. Peterson will have them ready. Any other team Bama rolls by double digits but be leery of WSU my friend, they're going to attack Bama's defense unlike any other offense of the teams left.

dawgday166
11-29-2016, 03:26 PM
I agree on the lists of conference champions & traveling fan bases. But as far as match ups are concerned Washington if they get to face Bama can cause a lot of constranation to Saban's defense because they're going to take deep shots like OM did and stretch the defense vertically. Bama if they face any other team will win easily but playing Bama for Washington would be a great match up for them. Peterson will have them ready. Any other team Bama rolls by double digits but he leery of WSU my friend, they're going to attack Bama's defense unlike any other offense of the teams left.

Bama's D line will destroy their Oline ... what little I watched they have the worst Oline of all the teams vying for a spot.

msstate7
11-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Compare Penn State's last 8 games to OSU & Michigan. Is it the best team now ... or the best record?

ETA: And Wisconsin lost close games to OSU & Mich plus ... they beat someone out of the MIGHTY S E C. **** Ha.

Osu beat Oklahoma (#8) and Wisconsin (#6) on the road, beat Michigan (#3), beat Nebraska (#16) 62-3, and lost at penn state (#7) by 3 points... that may be the best resume in the country including bama

dawgday166
11-29-2016, 03:49 PM
Osu beat Oklahoma (#8) and Wisconsin (#6) on the road, beat Michigan (#3), beat Nebraska (#16) 62-3, and lost at penn state (#7) by 3 points... that may be the best resume in the country including bama

Nice resume. Still didn't win their conference tho. If Penn St. had been squeaking by in the last 8 then I might say they been lucky (and they probably were against OSU). But they been playing good ball and part of the equation I thought was "game control". Their game control in last 8 has been pretty good from looking at the scores.

OSU has a pretty strong case no doubt. But I think all 3 have pretty good resumes and I'm old school .. win your conference championship. If both the winner of title game and OSU get in, then I'll probably be good with that cause I think both would beat Washington.

TUSK
11-29-2016, 04:35 PM
Bama's D line will destroy their Oline ... what little I watched they have the worst Oline of all the teams vying for a spot.

Alabama would have No Shot to win the NC if they draw Washington in the Semis....

Anderson, Allen, Foster, Payne, Harrison and Williams would all be sitting in jail on manslaughter charges for the Championship Game.

HSVDawg
11-29-2016, 05:12 PM
No way three Big 10 teams make it. If Washington and Clemson both lose it will be Colorado along with one out of 3 between Michigan / Penn State / Wisconsin.

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 05:47 PM

OSU has the better resume. Same conference record and for OOC OSU has a win over the likely Big 12 champion (Oklahoma) while PSU has a loss to Pitt. If they both only had the one conference loss and PSU had the head to head win I would agree they should go over OSU.

maroonmania
11-29-2016, 05:49 PM
No way three Big 10 teams make it. If Washington and Clemson both lose it will be Colorado along with one out of 3 between Michigan / Penn State / Wisconsin.

Probably so, but if Washington loses you could also get the OK/OK State winner in there. If OK State wins over OK they SHOULD be a one loss team. Of course they aren't due to incompetent officiating in the CMU game.

BulldogBear
11-29-2016, 05:50 PM

True, but I also don't like the idea of putting Penn State in, which they shouldn't be as of right now at least, just to justify putting Ohio State. Penn State should not get in over Washington or Clemson if they win out IMHO. If anyone other than Penn State gets left out then it should be Ohio State in that scenario.

TUSK
11-29-2016, 06:03 PM
I think one could look at it a couple of ways...

1) Who are the four best teams? IMO: Bammer (0 or 1 loss), Ohio St. (1 loss), Clemson (1 loss).... after those 3, arguments could be made...

2) Who are the most deserving teams? For this case, (and with apologies to Cadaverdawg) let me refer you to the following GIF:

HSVDawg
11-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Probably so, but if Washington loses you could also get the OK/OK State winner in there. If OK State wins over OK they SHOULD be a one loss team. Of course they aren't due to incompetent officiating in the CMU game.

I think the PAC 12 is much stronger than the Big 12 and the committee is likely to agree. And regardless of bad officiating, Oklahoma State still got themselves in a barn burner with a directional Michigan team which is the real indictment against them moreso than the actual loss. Besides, most everyone agrees that even though the call was wrong, it was played out as it SHOULD have as an offense shouldn't be allowed to commit a penalty to run out the clock when they have a lead and get away with it. It is a foregone conclusion that the rule will be changed this offseason.

dawgday166
11-29-2016, 07:55 PM
Alabama would have No Shot to win the NC if they draw Washington in the Semis....

Anderson, Allen, Foster, Payne, Harrison and Williams would all be sitting in jail on manslaughter charges for the Championship Game.

Ha! I can tell you quaking in your boots ***

bulldawg28
11-29-2016, 08:50 PM
I want Michigan in the top 4. Harbaugh and Saban have been fighting all summer. It only makes sense they make it in. Classic game if they meet up. Their defense would give Bama problems.

TUSK
11-30-2016, 12:44 AM
I want Michigan in the top 4. Harbaugh and Saban have been fighting all summer. It only makes sense they make it in. Classic game if they meet up. Their defense would give Bama problems.

In his heart of hearts, Harb doesn't want this.... yet... he's 1-2 years away....

The Michigan D would cause Bama problems, but the UM offense wouldn't score without a huge/ST play...

It'd be a 27-14 type game, IMO///