PDA

View Full Version : Listen to H to H yesterday and Cross said.....

Jack Lambert
11-29-2016, 11:45 AM
They were playing Freeze after game interview done by cross and Wyatt asked where he was because you could really hear the State fans cheering. Cross said you could hear it because the Stadium Mics were on.

I have heard that Tenn put mics in their seats to make the crowd sound louder or it might have been to so you could hear the band, not sure.

Does ole miss do this? Do we?

CadaverDawg
11-29-2016, 11:49 AM
Probably referring to the crowd mic that extends from the press box. When you broadcast, you have a mic dedicated to picking up crowd noise to add to the broadcast. You can turn it up or down according to what you want the audience to be able to hear without drowning your voices out. Dick was probably saying they didn't turn down the crowd mic from the broadcast.

thf24
11-29-2016, 11:58 AM
I have heard that Tenn put mics in their seats to make the crowd sound louder or it might have been to so you could hear the band, not sure.

Tennessee is known for mic'ing their band. It's illegal under SEC rules, but Tenn does it anyway and gets away with it probably because of their stadium size. They're not the only ones who do it.

archdog
11-29-2016, 12:04 PM
I sit in the top row of Bryant Denny every other year. Bama pipes in crowd noise. I have heard it first hand on everyone of our 2nd and 3rd downs for the past 8 years when we visit there.

Smitdawg
11-29-2016, 12:05 PM
Tennessee is known for mic'ing their band. It's illegal under SEC rules, but Tenn does it anyway and gets away with it probably because of their stadium size. They're not the only ones who do it.

Ole Miss was mic'ing their band as well. You could hear their band playing, then suddenly they would turn the mic on and the band got much louder as it was pumped through their speakers. It was easy to tell every time they did this.

Beaver
11-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Yep, I was in Knoxville for the UT v Mizzou game. They mic the band and play it though speakers in opposite corners of the stadium from speakers set up on the field -- basically where the cheerleaders are...

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Well, we are about to install a 2+ million dollar sound system into Davis Wade this off season, so hopefully that increases our capabilities.

Bass Chaser
11-29-2016, 12:09 PM
SEC changed that rule a couple years ago.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Probably referring to the crowd mic that extends from the press box. When you broadcast, you have a mic dedicated to picking up crowd noise to add to the broadcast. You can turn it up or down according to what you want the audience to be able to hear without drowning your voices out. Dick was probably saying they didn't turn down the crowd mic from the broadcast.

With our crowd on the opposite side of the stadium than the press box, would you think it wouldn't pick up too well from that distance?

Bully13
11-29-2016, 12:29 PM
I remember many moons ago we miked cowbell thru loudspeakers. Funny as hell.

thf24
11-29-2016, 12:34 PM
SEC changed that rule a couple years ago.

Didn't know that, although I do know that Tennessee did it illegally for many years. Makes sense as long as it's not abused since stadiums are growing ever bigger. I wish we would; I'd guess a big reason some believe certain other bands are so much better than ours is that they're the ones who are mic'd and can be heard clearly in all parts of the stadium.

Bass Chaser
11-29-2016, 12:42 PM
There were a lot schools that mic'd sound in there stadium illegally. I remember asking Stricklin if we were going to mic our band right after it changed. Of course we never did.

thf24
11-29-2016, 12:57 PM
There were a lot schools that mic'd sound in there stadium illegally. I remember asking Stricklin if we were going to mic our band right after it changed. Of course we never did.

In fairness it would probably be a nightmare right now with our single source of audio over the south endzone board. It could be hard for the band to play with the delay in their ears and could potentially result in some gnarly feedback. If we ever install the distributed sound that's supposedly been on the wishlist for a while, mic'ing up the band will hopefully follow.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2016, 01:09 PM

All TV and radio broadcasts mic the bands. It's the only way you get to hear them over the TV/radio.

thf24
11-29-2016, 01:13 PM
All TV and radio broadcasts mic the bands. It's the only way you get to hear them over the TV/radio.

Yeah no doubt, but Tennessee and others mic their band and pipe it over the house sound system.

SailingDawg
11-29-2016, 01:21 PM

Mic'ing the crowd and the band always irked me when the opposition complained about cowbells. Our crowd is half their size so they have no right to bitch when we have noisemakers of our own.

BulldogBear
11-29-2016, 04:22 PM
I sit in the top row of Bryant Denny every other year. Bama pipes in crowd noise. I have heard it first hand on everyone of our 2nd and 3rd downs for the past 8 years when we visit there.

They should have to turn the mikes off when the center goes over the ball. No asterisk. I'm not kidding. I've always thought this practice was hypocritical if other schools were going to complain about cowbells.

Bodawg
11-29-2016, 04:26 PM
Mic'ing the crowd and the band always irked me when the opposition complained about cowbells. Our crowd is half their size so they have no right to bitch when we have noisemakers of our own.

Yep.... Jackie Wayne complained about UT using "artificial noise makers", when we played them, but we could not use our cowbells.

RocketDawg
11-29-2016, 05:45 PM

They didn't sound all that great either. Pretty clanky. It was when cowbells were against the rules, and was somewhat enforced.

lastmajordog
11-29-2016, 06:55 PM
I was sitting in the (Holyland) north end zone of "The Vaught" and I can tell you any time the DOGS did well and the band cranked up the rebbearsharklawyers turned up the volume on whatever the rebbearsharklawyers were playing in the stadium loudspeakers to try and drown out the Dog band......

Saltydog
11-29-2016, 08:12 PM
anyone confirm. I could definitely hear the Maroon/White yell after the game but thought the NCAA yell would've been funny as hell.

DawgHouseUnited
11-29-2016, 10:59 PM
Well, we are about to install a 2+ million dollar sound system into Davis Wade this off season, so hopefully that increases our capabilities.

That will be nice. Sometimes it seems like I'm listening to the adults in a Charlie brown TV show on our sound system.

Hail State
11-30-2016, 12:38 AM

This is 100% true.

SailingDawg
11-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Speaking of crowds...I'm just now able to watch the overhead cam replay and I didn't hear the hoity toidy cheer at all! Our band sounded fabulous!