PDA

View Full Version : Will Dan let dak run Saturday?

msstate7
09-03-2013, 10:20 PM
With TR out will we use Dak like TR to prevent injury? How many rushing yards for dak? Passing?

thf24
09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
I'd actually like to see him stick to mostly passing or handing off not only to avoid injury but also to get him some game reps to work on his accuracy on the short, fast throws he missed a few times last Saturday. I think Dan will probably go the safe route, since he did the same thing with Relf against Alcorn in 2010.

I'll say 210 passing, 40 rushing, those 40 coming on scrambles or a few big gains on the read option keeper.

ShotgunDawg
09-03-2013, 10:40 PM
I think we need to see what Dak is made of. I wouldn't abuse him since he will have to play the whole game so we don't burn our backups redshirt, but he needs to establish the run so that we can what the offense will look like with him at QB

msstate7
09-03-2013, 10:47 PM
I think we need to see what Dak is made of. I wouldn't abuse him since he will have to play the whole game so we don't burn our backups redshirt, but he needs to establish the run so that we can what the offense will look like with him at QB
I agree. I wonder what numbers by dak would the coaches seriously consider starting him against auburn. I'd like to see dak run for 60+ and pass for 200 to put some pressure on Dan.

CadaverDawg
09-03-2013, 10:49 PM
I don't care as much about Dak's numbers as much as I care about the Offensive Rushing numbers. I expect to see us rush for a lot of yards this weekend. A lot of that will be because we're playing Alcorn....but a lot of it will be because Dak makes our run game harder to defend.

cheewgumm
09-03-2013, 11:05 PM
This is actually one week I hope they are vanilla and not run Dak. Wait until we need it next week.

It_Could_Happen
09-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Dak has at least 2 rushing and 2 passing TD's

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
The way concussions are evaluated and handled now, do we burn Damien Williams redshirt? Alcorn would be a great game to get reps and you really can't tell when Russell comes back. Concussions sometimes take several games to get over and we don't need to go into games with one qb.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 08:10 AM
The way concussions are evaluated and handled now, do we burn Damien Williams redshirt? Alcorn would be a great game to get reps and you really can't tell when Russell comes back. Concussions sometimes take several games to get over and we don't need to go into games with one qb.

With 2 qb's committed, I wouldn't redshirt Williams

DownwardDawg
09-04-2013, 08:13 AM

I would burn it.

FISHDAWG
09-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I would like to see Nick Griffin get some PT ... no reason why we shouldn't just give the other three RB's some reps against a team like Alcorn State

Tbonewannabe
09-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Having 2 QBs committed would factor in.

MSUDawg4Life
09-04-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't think the coaches have a choice with Damien Williams. I think he has to play. Williams needs to get some reps this week against Alcorn.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't think the coaches have a choice with Damien Williams. I think he has to play. Williams needs to get some reps this week against Alcorn.

If Williams plays well will he be the new favorite qb?

MSUDawg4Life
09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
If Williams plays well will he be the new favorite qb?

In the fan's eyes, the grass is always greener ....

Bothrops
09-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Damian Williams needs to play. Some players that redshirt under Mullen don't really play for 2 years anyway. He will likely co-start next year because I think he's a better passer.

EAVdog
09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
I just want to see some 2 back sets again. We used a lot of wishbone plays near the goal line the first 2 years Dan was here. Now we don't even have a fullback.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 11:34 AM
I'd really like to see some of that inverted wishbone Ok State ran against us. Imagine the backfield we could put together. I'd have Perkins in most plays, and rotate the other 2 spots with combos of JRob, Griffin, Shumpert, & Milton. Perk would be my option guy outside and the guy I'd either send out to the flats for quick passes in open field, or perhaps st him up with an occasional shovel pass from Dak. JRob and the others would do my dirty work between the tackles, with an occasional middle screen mixed in.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 11:46 AM
And I'd mix in some stuff like have my bruisers like JRob, etc go out in front to block for Dak & Perk on the option, but sometimes have them feign the block and slip into the flat for a pass. Dak is good at faking a run and pulling back for a pass. Why couldn't that work farther out on an option look? Imagine Dak & Perk attacking the edge with Perk trailing as the option. JRob, who has blocked in this look several times instead slips downfield. Dak sells the run option as he does already, only this time it's on the edge with Perk trailing. Then he hits JRob with a pass. JRob turns it upfield and lays the boom on any unfortunate DB who happens to be in the area.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Now here's another twist. Once you get the defense worried about the above pass, mix in some stuff where you have Dak make that run fake with Perk trailing like we're showing pass, but set the timing so that at the moment Dak makes that last step forward and starts to come back, have Perk cut back inside for a handoff directly in front of Dak, cutting back against the grain. Sure, he could be running back into pursuit, but once in a while he might catch them over-pursuing and use his shifty moves to break through scattered traffic.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Now here's another twist. Once you get the defense worried about the above pass, mix in some stuff where you have Dak make that run fake with Perk trailing like we're showing pass, but set the timing so that at the moment Dak makes that last step forward and starts to come back, have Perk cut back inside for a handoff directly in front of Dak, cutting back against the grain. Sure, he could be running back into pursuit, but once in a while he might catch them over-pursuing and use his shifty moves to break through scattered traffic.
You can't run too many plays trying to get ball into LP's hands in space, but you can run LP too many times between tackles. In fact, we do every time

C222
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Per Mullen, the offense isn't changing this weekend.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 12:08 PM
The first time dak drops back and runs bc no one is open the offense changed and for the better. I hope no changes is Dan setting up auburn for stuff they haven't seen. Not very likely out of the most predictable offense in the sec

ckDOG
09-04-2013, 12:12 PM

That has to be coach speak. If that's the case, Mullen really is a dumb ass. System that Mullen sucks at implementing and calling plays in with a QB designed to run the old system that Mullen actually excelled in. Hey guys, let's try to do everything we can to make it tough to score points. Great idea.

As far as Dak is concerned, damned if you do, damned if you don't. He needs the live game experience of making the quick option decisions, but you can't get him hurt either.

Kvanderlip
09-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Since we are drawing up different offensive looks, how about the wildcat with Holloway taking the snap with LDP and Robinson or Griffin or Milton ( pick any two) on his sides. It was run at times the last couple of years with Bumphis taking the snap. That will keep Dak fresh and not burn Williams red shirt.

blacklistedbully
09-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Since we are drawing up different offensive looks, how about the wildcat with Holloway taking the snap with LDP and Robinson or Griffin or Milton ( pick any two) on his sides. It was run at times the last couple of years with Bumphis taking the snap. That will keep Dak fresh and not burn Williams red shirt.

I believe the main concern isn't keeping Dak fresh, it's getting another QB ready in case TR is out for an extended time. That way, if Dak gets hurt, we'll have a #2 with some game experience. Alcorn is the best opportunity to do this.

msstate7
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM

I think holloway would be so much better than bumphis in that formation bc of his speed

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 12:54 PM

That's what I am afraid of.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 12:56 PM
That has to be coach speak. If that's the case, Mullen really is a dumb ass. System that Mullen sucks at implementing and calling plays in with a QB designed to run the old system that Mullen actually excelled in. Hey guys, let's try to do everything we can to make it tough to score points. Great idea.

As far as Dak is concerned, damned if you do, damned if you don't. He needs the live game experience of making the quick option decisions, but you can't get him hurt either.

Based on what I've seen from Dan the past year, I would honestly be more surprised if he changed.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
I believe the main concern isn't keeping Dak fresh, it's getting another QB ready in case TR is out for an extended time. That way, if Dak gets hurt, we'll have a #2 with some game experience. Alcorn is the best opportunity to do this.

I remember another message board poster on 247 telling me it "didn't make sense" to go out and get another JUCO QB last year for depth purposes. Well, look at us now. Everytime it seems like a team plays with fire, they usually get burned- or at least someone's redshirt gets burned.

All we needed was a Tyson Lee. And we may have even gotten someone to walk-on.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM

I honestly don't like any of our current players in the wildcat. Maybe Robinson taking the snap.

Political Hack
09-04-2013, 01:02 PM
if we run the wildcat it will probably be Tubby since he played QB in high school. Tubby with Holloway, JRob, Perk, or Shump would be tough to defend. If we don't out a damn TE in motion more than 5 times a ball game and get some blocking coming out the backfield, it doesn't matter. We still try to run the ball like a spread team even though we're running the Patriot's offense.

Of course, we could always stick Eulls back there...

Coach34
09-04-2013, 01:02 PM

I'm not very surprised by this- no need vs Alcorn.

But it better ****ing change by a week from Saturday

Coach34
09-04-2013, 01:03 PM
We have 2 QB's coming in- one at Christmas to go thru Spring Practice- and maybe Staley also, though doubtful. No need to RS Williams

WinningIsRelentless
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM

Our offense per say doesn't have to change. Yes we are spreading the field more than we did with Relf but it's a reason he moved Holmes to the H Back slot. To be effective we just need the qb to run the ball 6 to 10 times a game (Dak will) and involve some more vertical plays with receivers and shovel and screen passes underneath. All of this can be done out of the formations we currently have installed.

The problem has been that Russell won't run the ball on the read option (it's a straight handoff with him in) thus making defenses not account for him.

SignalToNoise
09-04-2013, 01:15 PM

Well I'm no coach but this just doesn't make sense to me. Why not take this week to practice what you'll be doing against AU if indeed you plan on changing for AU.

Someone please explain because it seems counter intuitive to me.

PassInterference
09-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Well I'm no coach but this just doesn't make sense to me. Why not take this week to practice what you'll be doing against AU if indeed you plan on changing for AU.

I'm sure we'll practice all week long what we'll run against AU. But we won't show it against Alcorn because that would give AU a look at what to prepare for.

Political Hack
09-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm sure we'll practice all week long what we'll run against AU. But we won't show it against Alcorn because that would give AU a look at what to prepare for.

yes. I hope.

Although if TR is back, he will start and play most of the snaps.

Coach34
09-04-2013, 01:54 PM

Make some changes to the offense- but dont show them vs Alcorn. Practice them for 2 weeks- and then run them vs Auburn. If they are well-planned and done correctly- you can get a decisive advantage, much like Ok State did vs Us with the Diamond formation and its plays

RougeDawg
09-04-2013, 03:02 PM

Does anyone see Mullen using this concussion as a way to audition Dak and eventually name him starter by next week? If he performs well, Dan can say Dak has earned the start. Tr sits and becomes backup, and he isnt necessarily benching TR. they can keep saying that TR is questionable and have him for backup, should Dak have to come out.

Just a thought. It's an easy cop out for Mullen and doesn't make him look as bad.

Todd4State
09-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Does anyone see Mullen using this concussion as a way to audition Dak and eventually name him starter by next week? If he performs well, Dan can say Dak has earned the start. Tr sits and becomes backup, and he isnt necessarily benching TR. they can keep saying that TR is questionable and have him for backup, should Dak have to come out.

Just a thought. It's an easy cop out for Mullen and doesn't make him look as bad.

This is a stretch, but I'll throw it out there. If Tyler sits out the year with a concussion- he could get a medical redshirt. He could come back with a better running back in Robinson and all of our receivers will be better as well. I don't think it will happen- but crazier things have happened as well.