PDA

View Full Version : Weird but Cool...

oildawg
11-28-2016, 04:08 PM
Lots of "new" feelings about this season....

We were 8 to 9 point underdogs in the Egg Bowl. When was the last time we were that big of an underdog in that game? I'm guessing Croom's last game - 8 years ago.

We won by 35 points - biggest margin of victory over those chumps in 100 years.

Now, put those two together - big underdogs and we spanked them....

Of course, the weirdness of - we lost to South Alabama but beat then #4 ranked Texas A&M.

Didn't get 6 wins, but academics are getting us into a bowl.

We are going West for our Bowl game (Fort Worth, Phoenix or Las Vegas)... Haven't played in a bowl game west of Shreveport since we squared off with ole Ricky Williams and the Longhorns on New Year's Day 1999. And, never have played a bowl game west of El Paso....

We wouldn't want this every year, but right now, sure feels good! (sorry, but still on Cloud 9)....

mstatefan91
11-28-2016, 04:14 PM
We are a 5-7 team with the real potential to have been an 8-4 team (USA, BYU, UK). Hurts man

Egg Bowl washed a good bit of that away, but I still can't get over it completely...

thf24
11-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Can't find a record but I can't imagine the 2009 line being less than -10.

The trend for winning this game is shifting from the home team to the clear underdog.

mstatefan91
11-28-2016, 04:21 PM

The trend for winning this game is shifting from the home team to the clear underdog.

This does seem to be happening over the past 5 seasons.. And OM seems to lose whenever they are ranked and we are not.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Another oddity. Most people been saying Mullen wins the games he's favored in but never pulls the big upset, well this year he lost some he was supposed to win but won 2 where we were huge underdogs. It has been a strange season all the way around!

Jack Lambert
11-28-2016, 04:28 PM

Ely's last year we might might have been. We really sucked going into that game and got our asses handed to us.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2016, 04:30 PM
You forgot "And Mullen can't croot - but we have a Top 25 class with some big names on the board that could make it Top 20"

justwin
11-28-2016, 05:14 PM
For the life of me, I'll never understand why Fitz wasn't named the starter out of spring practice. It was so obvious in how he played in the previous two spring practices and mop up last year.

Coaches seem to think not naming a qb is an advantage and it usually costs you wins. Two years ago, Coker was clearly the best Bama qb and it cost Bama at home vs OM.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 05:18 PM
For the life of me, I'll never understand why Fitz wasn't named the starter out of spring practice. It was so obvious in how he played in the previous two spring practices and mop up last year.

Coaches seem to think not naming a qb is an advantage and it usually costs you wins. Two years ago, Coker was clearly the best Bama qb and it cost Bama at home vs OM.

He needed to earn the job and win over the team as a leader. And as bad as losing to USA was with him sitting on the bench, he needed to be humbled some.

mstatefan91
11-28-2016, 05:19 PM

To be fair, Damien did not play poorly. He just doesn't seem to have that "something extra".