PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MSU Schedule

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:03 PM
After the Egg Bowl, seeing young players step up down the stretch, & effectively developing a dynamic 1-2 punch in the backfield that will no doubt only improve by virtue of some SR graduating, Nick Gibson getting more reps, & possibly two blue chip running backs coming. It's clear that we must replace some experienced offensive linemen & some defensive players & coaches need to take a sizable step forward, however, it's difficult to not at least dream about what this team could look like next year if clicking on all cylinders.

It is with that hope & excitement, I am going to take the first crack at our 2017 schedule.

Sep 2 Charleston Southern - W - Should be an ass kicking with normal first game issues.

Sep 9 @ Louisiana Tech - W - Has the looks of a trap game, but I don't expect it to be a trap after what happened this year. I think we'll be ready. This game reminds me of the 2014 game at South Alabama. We'll win this one. 35-17 or so.

Sep 16 LSU - Toss up - HUGE GAME. Need to see if LSU hires Kiffin & how their QB situation pans out. Either way, this will be a slober knocker & toss up game down to the wire. One would have to believe LSU will go through some transition next year at QB & with new coaches. We are going to find out if Coach O is an interim coach or a coach that can effectively run a program.

Sep 23 @ Georgia - Loss - Tough spot here going on the road after the LSU game. Georgia's defense will be tough, but this game will come down to our energy & Jacob Eason's development. Georgia had a rough year, so it's realistic would could have a chance to win this game. Not sure.

Sep 30 @ Auburn - Loss - Another tough game. Sean White doesn't scare me though, but our DL & OL will be challenged here. Auburn struggled down the stretch this year & lose some players off their vaunted DL. I would be ecstatic by winning 2 of 3 against LSU, Georgia, & Auburn, but 1 of 3 is the most realistic. Team will be challenged in this stretch.

OFF - Thank goodness. We'll need it.

Oct 14 BYU - Win. So long as officiating isn't egregious, I think we kick their ass.

Oct 21 Kentucky - Win. They'll fight, but we start another streak here. 38-24

Oct 28 @ Texas A&M - Win - We get them after an off week with them playing Bama & Florida the two weeks before. We match up well with them & they lose major pass rushers. If our secondary improves, I think we take this one.

Nov 4 UMass - Win - Ass kicking

Nov 11 Alabama - Loss - 42-10

Nov 18 Arkansas - Loss - They return Allen & I can't say we are going to win on the road against a team we didn't make punt this year.

Nov 23 Ole Miss - Win - Won't be as bad this year, but I see no reason we won't win again. Barring injuries. Their defense should be butt hole

So there we have it. I've got us winning 8 games, but this schedule is rough. Having to play LSU, Georgia, & Auburn three weeks in a row is a nightmare. Gotta win at least one of those. Additionally, having to visit both A&M & Ark isn't ideal. Hopefully we win one of those.

There is a really good chance that we are better than our record next year. I expect us to win at least 7 with 9 being the ceiling.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2016, 02:06 PM
Funny how the Egg Bowl changes perception. Gotta see who our D.C. is, who we sign and if we find a kicker.

Todd4State
11-28-2016, 02:07 PM
That seems reasonable. I can see 6-10 with 10 probably being the ceiling.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:08 PM
Funny how the Egg Bowl changes perception. Gotta see who our D.C. is, who we sign and if we find a kicker.

Agree, but we can do somethings as well. I like where we are offensively over many of the teams I have us losing to.

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-28-2016, 02:09 PM

Agree with all of this. Can't be optimistic with that defense. We lost a game where we gained over 500 yards and scored 42.

Jack Lambert
11-28-2016, 02:09 PM
I think you should flip GA and LSU.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:11 PM
I think you should flip GA and LSU.

Tough to say. I think we'll give LSU everything we got that night. Big game

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Agree with all of this. Can't be optimistic with that defense. We lost a game where we gained over 500 yards and scored 42.

Agree, but I can be optimistic that we will be significantly better. Every tangible & intangible factor is in favor of this defense being better next year. Doesn't mean it will be good, but I'm confident it will be improved.

TrapGame
11-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Got to find an average SEC defense.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:15 PM

No doubt. I think we will

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2016, 02:22 PM
I think you are giving UGA too much credit, and maybe AU. Both should be toss ups. AU still doesn't have a QB.
UGA is in total disarray. Eason is good, but UGA will be young, and has an OL more suspect than ours. Fans are already debating if the hired a Ray Goff 2.0. They have talent, but do they have the coaching? I think there is a strong chance we roll into Athens and steal one.

maroonmania
11-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Exactly, until I know we've improved greatly on the defensive side I won't feel too good about any game next year. Heck, even LT can score in bunches on teams that can't defend the pass.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 02:26 PM
I think you are giving UGA too much credit, and maybe AU. Both should be toss ups. AU still doesn't have a QB.
UGA is in total disarray. Eason is good, but UGA will be young, and has an OL more suspect than ours. Fans are already debating if the hired a Ray Goff 2.0. They have talent, but do they have the coaching? I think there is a strong chance we roll into Athens and steal one.

Very well could. As I said in the original post, predicting the LSU, Georgia, Auburn stretch is difficult.

1-2 should be the expectation. 2-1 & you should be ecstatic, 3-0 & we got a chance to finish 2nd in the SEC West

Commercecomet24
11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Our defense was pretty bad most of the time, but we did show some glimpses of being better. Starting after the BYU game we started playing a bunch of the young ones on D which is good for the futre but also leads to some growing pains. Our Defense played extremely well against AM and the second half against unm we were pretty much lights out, giving up 0 poinst and less than 200 yards. We were extremely inconsistent but you could also see some growth by some of our younger players, especially Peters, Mclaurin, Simmons, Spencer, Leo, Jung, Fletcher so the potential to take a step forward is there. Now will we, that I can't answer cause thats on the players and coaches but we are not devoid of talent on the defensive side either and with the offense we have coming back they don't have to be the '86 Bears just come up with some stops and let our offense work.

Jack Lambert
11-28-2016, 02:37 PM
Tough to say. I think we'll give LSU everything we got that night. Big game

Well hell then we win both. :)