PDA

View Full Version : How Ironic It Is...

BeastMan
11-28-2016, 12:53 PM
That both MSU and Ole Miss enter the 2016 Egg Bowl with both Mullen and Freeze suffering through the worst season of their respective tenures. Mullen blows out the Rebs in a game where they mortgaged their future pulling Shea's redshirt in what now amounts to for aimlessly flailing for nothing. Both teams finish 5-7. However, one team's season is done and one's isn't. Dan Mullen will get rewarded for running a program the right way. Run a tight ship discipline wise where you practice what you preach. When having an NCAA issue, he didn't say 10,000 stupid things on social media and play up his "core values" acting better than thou. He got rid of the coach and the school immediately cleaned house and cleared up the issue with the NCAA. And most importantly, Dan and Megan do a ton for the community and the less fortunate but don't feel the need to make every single good deed a PR stunt parroting around to prove how morally superior they are. Real, honest, and tangible acts is what won out.

My boy Aristotle said it best:

Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

That's why MSU will go to its 7th straight bowl. Because excellence is a habit. Cheers Dan. This year wasn't always easy to endure but you've done it the right way and will reap what you sowed.

Wet Dawg
11-28-2016, 12:55 PM
+1 sir

TrapGame
11-28-2016, 12:57 PM
I remember all the scuttlebutt at the beginning of the year from the bears that Shae was a football god and Freeze was just being nice letting Kelly play out his senior year. The last two games put a hold on the Heisman party.

Jack Lambert
11-28-2016, 01:32 PM
I think Mullen's first year was his worse. Same record but no bowl bid.

BeastMan
11-28-2016, 01:38 PM

We lost to South Alabama, gave up 600+ yards to Samford, 109 points in consecutive weeks, and Arky didn't punt. This year was exponentially worse.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Not sure I'd mix a 5-7 season in the same post with the word "excellence", but I get your point. Things are headed in the right direction.

BeastMan
11-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Not sure I'd mix a 5-7 season in the same post with the word "excellence", but I get your point. Things are headed in the right direction.

The point is off the field excellence. How the programs are operated by the CEO is the difference in the 2 programs.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Wow that really put it in perspective! Great post! While we get frustrated with some of the things Dan does he has built OUR program the right way! Everything we get is earned not bought or given! While we may not be Bama we can hold our heads high with pride knowing our players and coaches are doing things the right way and earning everything we get! Life is hard and when you're taught to earn what you have you learn to overcome adversity and not quit! Proud of Dan, our coaches and players for having character!

HailState

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
11-28-2016, 01:53 PM
We did our homework and are being rewarded with a field trip. They plagiarized some cliff notes and got paddled and sent home by Principal Mullen.

jumbo
11-28-2016, 03:05 PM

Year 1 taking over for Croom 5-7 >>>>>> Year 8 lost to USA, BYU, Kentucky, Arky doesn't punt 5-7.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-28-2016, 04:23 PM
That both MSU and Ole Miss enter the 2016 Egg Bowl with both Mullen and Freeze suffering through the worst season of their respective tenures. Mullen blows out the Rebs in a game where they mortgaged their future pulling Shea's redshirt in what now amounts to for aimlessly flailing for nothing. Both teams finish 5-7. However, one team's season is done and one's isn't. Dan Mullen will get rewarded for running a program the right way. Run a tight ship discipline wise where you practice what you preach. When having an NCAA issue, he didn't say 10,000 stupid things on social media and play up his "core values" acting better than thou. He got rid of the coach and the school immediately cleaned house and cleared up the issue with the NCAA. And most importantly, Dan and Megan do a ton for the community and the less fortunate but don't feel the need to make every single good deed a PR stunt parroting around to prove how morally superior they are. Real, honest, and tangible acts is what won out.

My boy Aristotle said it best:

That's why MSU will go to its 7th straight bowl. Because excellence is a habit. Cheers Dan. This year wasn't always easy to endure but you've done it the right way and will reap what you sowed.

Excellent post. The 2016 season and current state of each program can be summed up by each coaches postgame press conference. Dan's post Egg Bowl presser is possibly my favorite all-time. Mullen was genuine, honest, open, optimistic yet realistic, somewhat cocky/salty, and a loveable smartass. While Hugh came across as a pouting child who's puppy just got run over by an 18 wheeler. This one Freeze quote says it all:

"From the disappointments to the injuries to everything that?s going on around our program, it?s been a very, very difficult season," Freeze said. "I?m glad it?s over now, and I can?t wait to hit the road recruiting, get the necessary changes made and get to spring ball."

If I'm TSUN alumni I am furious that my head coach, who makes $5 Mill a year, said "I'm glad its over now"