PDA

View Full Version : Was Shea sacrificed in a failed bid for a self-imposed bowl ban?

PassInterference
11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Ole Miss knows multiple bowl bans are coming. They knew they had a shot at getting to a lower bowl with Shea, and one they could self-impose with as little pain as a bowl ban could bring. Better to self-impose the Birmingham Weedeater Papa Johns Las Vegas Bowl now if could prevent having to skip a bigger bowl years from now.

Freeze had been known to sacrifice people for the betterment of the program. I've posted some essays on that the last few years.

Burning Shea's redshirt wasn't about getting Shea reps. If it was, Freeze would have called timeout to try getting the ball back at the end of the 4th quarter. It was completely about getting bowl eligible so they could self impose a low run bowl game.

Mjoelner34
11-28-2016, 11:53 AM
I think they were stupid for not burning it the first chance they got this year. If Patterson is the 2nd coming of JFF and a sure-fire 3 year player, then there is zero doubt that he is going to be your starter next year after Swag is gone. Why waste one of his 3 years in college with a redshirt? Get him as much game experience as possible. No way aTm should have been his first snap this year. Of course we're talking about the same coach who last year with a 60 point lead in the 4th quarter still had Swag in the game throwing wheel routes to Kim-cheech.

maroonmania
11-28-2016, 12:14 PM
I think they were stupid for not burning it the first chance they got this year. If Patterson is the 2nd coming of JFF and a sure-fire 3 year player, then there is zero doubt that he is going to be your starter next year after Swag is gone. Why waste one of his 3 years in college with a redshirt? Get him as much game experience as possible. No way aTm should have been his first snap this year. Of course we're talking about the same coach who last year with a 60 point lead in the 4th quarter still had Swag in the game throwing wheel routes to Kim-cheech.

I agree with this and is likely why there was so much speculation that the NCAA mess was why he didn't play earlier. If Patterson is all he is cracked up to be, or even close, it is very unlikely that he will be in Oxford for 5 years so redshirting him never really made much sense.

turkish
11-28-2016, 12:17 PM
If self-imposing a bowl ban was really an option that UNM may have had, then they've got the NCAA right where they want them. I hope that is not something that could have happened.

BulldogBacker
11-28-2016, 12:23 PM

Bingo!

Bubb Rubb
11-28-2016, 12:38 PM
I have it on fairly decent authority that the plan was to get bowl eligible and then self-impose a bowl ban to gain favor. We went ahead and imposed it for them....so the NCAA can keep doing work. Not that the NCAA would have looked on their feeble gesture favorably, but it doesn't matter now anyway.

TrapGame
11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
I have it on fairly decent authority that the plan was to get bowl eligible and then self-impose a bowl ban to gain favor. We went ahead and imposed it for them....so the NCAA can keep doing work. Not that the NCAA would have looked on their feeble gesture favorably, but it doesn't matter now anyway.

That's why I got some om pricks telling me they weren't going to a bowl anyway. Idiots. I'll rob a bank but tell the judge I'll self impose a year of home incarceration to lessen the overall sentence.