PDA

View Full Version : Programs MSU has a 5 Year Recruiting Average Better than

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 09:32 AM
So after hearing Musburger say during the game the other night that MSU didn't get good recruits & after hearing Tom Luginbill on Bo Bounds this morning say virtually the same thing, I've come to the conclusion that MSU is possibly the most under the radar, best recruiter in the country. (I realize that sounds extremely odd with how much we complain about it)

Here are the teams that over the past 5 years have not recruited at MSU's level & yet you never hear about how they can't recruit like you do MSU:

Stanford
Nebraska
Washington
Arkansas
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma State
Louisville
Iowa
Kansas State

Interesting huh? How come you never hear about these teams not being able to recruit? MSU is continuously lumped into the Kansas State category when MSU's recruiting ranking profile isn't similar to Kansas State at all. It's clear that this perception is all about the neighborhood you live in rather than reality.

Talk about a false narrative that has been pushed by the media. Is it Mullen's agent pushing it? Is it ignorance by the media?

Funny how everyone talks about how you can't recruit to Starkville, yet every time I turn on the TV to watch an NFL game, there is an MSU player on the field making plays.

#educatethemasses

DudyDawg
11-28-2016, 09:40 AM
I've heard that about some of those teams. Even on a national level I've heard talks about teams like Iowa not recruiting well. So I think the false narrative is you thinking we are the only ones they say that about. I bet if you watched and read as much about some of those teams as you do about us, you'd hear it.

Coursesuper
11-28-2016, 09:45 AM
There is one place we don't recruit as well as we need to for sure and that is on the OLine. We have to get more consistent and better here we can't let the best players in the state at any line position get away.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 09:46 AM
I've heard that about some of those teams. Even on a national level I've heard talks about teams like Iowa not recruiting well. So I think the false narrative is you thinking we are the only ones they say that about. I bet if you watched and read as much about some of those teams as you do about us, you'd hear it.

Maybe, but my guess is that if you asked a random college football fan the rank those schools based on their perception of who recruits best to worst, MSU would consistently be near the bottom of the list.

DancingRabbit
11-28-2016, 09:47 AM
I think part of that narrative is derived from our success in developing lower ranked recruits into college stars and NFL players.

It gets lost in the wash that we have some higher ranked recruits that don't measure up to their expectations.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 09:48 AM
There is one place we don't recruit as well as we need to for sure and that is on the OLine. We have to get more consistent and better here we can't let the best players in the state at any line position get away.

Agree. We certainly could improve our overall recruiting, but in some ways our problems have more to do with the allocation of our recruits & what positions they play.

It's kind of like Ole Miss. For all the recruiting stars & rankings they have accumulated over the past 5 years, they somehow forgot to buy a linebacker or two. How did that happen?

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 09:48 AM
I think part of that narrative is derived from our success in developing lower ranked recruits into college stars and NFL players.

It gets lost in the wash that we have some higher ranked recruits that don't measure up to their expectations.

Good point

smootness
11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Yes, it is probably Mullen's agent. He's also responsible for everyone who calls it Starksville.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Lets look at that list a little differently:

Stanford - 52-15
Louisville - 49-15
Wisconsin - 48-18
Oklahoma State - 44-19
Nebraska - 43-22
Washington - 42-23
Kansas State - 41-27
MSU - 39-25
Iowa - 39-25
South Carolina - 38-25
Virginia Tech - 38-26
Arkansas - 29-33

Stanford is an outlier - the rest are pretty inter-changable.

Big4Dawg
11-28-2016, 10:28 AM
It's also because we are in the SEC and being compared with Auburn/LSU/Bama, etc, who have top 15 classes every year, so when you look at the SEC Rankings, we are near the bottom. But when you look at Big10 , Nebraska & Wiscson is in the top 1/2 because they have teams like Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Indiana, etc, who are Vandy bad.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 11:47 AM
Agree. We certainly could improve our overall recruiting, but in some ways our problems have more to do with the allocation of our recruits & what positions they play.

It's kind of like Ole Miss. For all the recruiting stars & rankings they have accumulated over the past 5 years, they somehow forgot to buy a linebacker or two. How did that happen?

They have 3 teams worth of WRs tho. Freeze never sees a tall receiver he doesn't like, at the expense of other positions. This is a complaint I have some about Dan ... he doesn't seem to have a good recruiting strategy and plan to refill and keep stocked all the positions on the field.

PassInterference
11-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Most of these teams don't get to play in the hardest division in the country:

Stanford
Nebraska
Washington
Arkansas
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma State
Louisville
Iowa
Kansas State

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 11:58 AM
Most of these teams don't get to play in the hardest division in the country:

Stanford
Nebraska
Washington
Arkansas
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma State
Louisville
Iowa
Kansas State

B10 much harder this year than SEC W. ACC is too IMO.

DancingRabbit
11-28-2016, 12:49 PM

SECW had a down year, but according to Sagarin it was still the toughest division.

1. SECW
2. PAC12 North
3. B10 East

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 12:51 PM
SECW had a down year, but according to Sagarin it was still the toughest division.

1. SECW
2. PAC12 North
3. B10 East

Not too concerned with what Sagarin says.

smootness
11-28-2016, 12:56 PM

The Big Ten West is not, and the ACC is definitely not, despite the SEC having a down year.

The game Saturday makes me question how effective Louisville would be with a full SEC schedule.

smootness
11-28-2016, 12:57 PM
Not too concerned with what Sagarin says.

The Big Ten West has Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern, who are all worse than Ole Miss.

TUSK
11-28-2016, 01:07 PM
So after hearing Musburger say during the game the other night that MSU didn't get good recruits & after hearing Tom Luginbill on Bo Bounds this morning say virtually the same thing, I've come to the conclusion that MSU is possibly the most under the radar, best recruiter in the country. (I realize that sounds extremely odd with how much we complain about it)

Here are the teams that over the past 5 years have not recruited at MSU's level & yet you never hear about how they can't recruit like you do MSU:

Stanford
Nebraska
Washington
Arkansas
South Carolina
Wisconsin
Virginia Tech
Oklahoma State
Louisville
Iowa
Kansas State

Interesting huh? How come you never hear about these teams not being able to recruit? MSU is continuously lumped into the Kansas State category when MSU's recruiting ranking profile isn't similar to Kansas State at all. It's clear that this perception is all about the neighborhood you live in rather than reality.

Talk about a false narrative that has been pushed by the media. Is it Mullen's agent pushing it? Is it ignorance by the media?

Funny how everyone talks about how you can't recruit to Starkville, yet every time I turn on the TV to watch an NFL game, there is an MSU player on the field making plays.

#educatethemasses

Y'all should give up a few scholarships to help level the playing field for those that are less fortunate. *

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
The Big Ten West is not, and the ACC is definitely not, despite the SEC having a down year.

The game Saturday makes me question how effective Louisville would be with a full SEC schedule.

Gotta admit Lville has had a couple of hiccups. I think they just lost focus some with the rankings and all. You have some points here tho.

Political Hack
11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
S.

E.

C.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 01:10 PM
The Big Ten West has Purdue, Illinois, and Northwestern, who are all worse than Ole Miss.

Not sure there are too many teams worse than OM right now. The Rev needs to take a bath soon or he might end up living under a bridge.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 01:11 PM
Y'all should give up a few scholarships to help level the playing field for those that are less fortunate. *

We do this EVERY year. That's how y'all got Lashley ****** Ya'll 3 deep wasn't strong enough ******

HSVDawg
11-28-2016, 01:13 PM
The reason for the perception is that we have not recruited well when compared against the rest of the SEC West, so it is somewhat of an earned reputation. We have generally finished 5th, 6th, or 7th in SEC West recruiting rankings every single year under Mullen, with Arkansas and OM (2013 and 2016 notwithstanding) joining us in the basement most years. And guess who has finished in those spots in the final standings for most of those years? Usually those same 3 teams.

The list above, with exception of Arkansas, is mostly irrelevant. We should recruit better than just about all of those teams. But the true test is how well you recruit against teams in your immediate academic and geographic footprint, and we haven't done so well there.

TUSK
11-28-2016, 01:18 PM
We do this EVERY year. That's how y'all got Lashley ****** Ya'll 3 deep wasn't strong enough ******

Touch?. +1