PDA

View Full Version : Cam Akers is playing in the 6A State Championship in Starkville Friday

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 10:43 PM
I know that this is probably a waste of time, but we should have anyone that lives in that can possibly go to the game go with handmade signs telling him that we want him to be a Dawg.

If our video people were clever we should so highlights on the scoreboard of our offense and Malik Dear and Aeris Williams along with something like "Where the best in our state come to play". And we definitely need to top it off with Cedric Jiles from Clinton's pick six in the Egg Bowl.

I know it probably won't work, but it also won't hurt.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 10:49 PM
That's dang good idea. Maybe we can make that happen. It would look good for us no matter how it works out with cam.

msstate7
11-27-2016, 10:52 PM
Or encourage him to sign with lsu so we can get Clyde

Thick
11-27-2016, 10:54 PM
We are in his rearview mirror about 10 cars back. Do we still have contact with him at all? Snowball's chance in hell

Ari Gold
11-27-2016, 11:09 PM
Umiss odds of landing Strong as DC is about the same as us landing Akers
It's ok.. Everyone will be VERY pleased with what we have coming in at that position.

Thick
11-27-2016, 11:13 PM
I have never seen Hill play, but I know a few who have seen him. They say he could be a really good RB for us much sooner then later. Great vision, good size, and changes direction with ease and not slowing down to do it as well.

I_Spy
11-27-2016, 11:41 PM
I like Cam and Kylin.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 11:48 PM
Oh I agree we won't get Akers but that kind of show by our fans and university would look good no matter ehst

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 11:57 PM
Umiss odds of landing Strong as DC is about the same as us landing Akers
It's ok.. Everyone will be VERY pleased with what we have coming in at that position.

I'm very pleased with what we have coming in but it's always good to get as many great players as possible.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2016, 12:03 AM
I'm very pleased with what we have coming in but it's always good to get as many great players as possible.

Yep and any chance we get to market our university we need to take it!

HSVDawg
11-28-2016, 12:11 AM
Aside from the obvious that Akers isn't coming, that idea with the scoreboard would be a fairly blatant NCAA violation.

I_Spy
11-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Shea Patterson went to OM, we tried to warn him. Now we don't even care Shea is at OM. (Because we are happy with Nick Who wasn't heavily recruited) just because we warn does not mean we aren't happy with who have signed.

It's just that...I like Cam enough to continually warn him about OM (or not warn him but tell ya'll)

basedog
11-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Having signs for Akers is a waste, he has no interest in Msu. What mature adult or student would stand around a empty stadium holding up a "we want Akers"?

If marketing is a player in this Championship, show highlights of the 2016 season and the campus, sell Msu not some recruit.

This Is Our State, Mississippi State University! That's what should be displayed on the jumbo.

Madisonmd
11-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Have seen them both. Give slight edge to Akers, but its close. Have to get Hill in school and keep him there

ZedFedder
11-28-2016, 07:32 AM
Hill is very good but Akers is another level.

Spiderman
11-28-2016, 07:47 AM

Yep, I hope Akers becomes a Yankee citizen for the next few years

RC3
11-28-2016, 07:53 AM
Just. No

fader2103
11-28-2016, 08:45 AM
" Be the first Cam to make the cowbells ring, instead of being the one ringing them"

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2016, 09:42 AM
I know that this is probably a waste of time, but we should have anyone that lives in that can possibly go to the game go with handmade signs telling him that we want him to be a Dawg.

If our video people were clever we should so highlights on the scoreboard of our offense and Malik Dear and Aeris Williams along with something like "Where the best in our state come to play". And we definitely need to top it off with Cedric Jiles from Clinton's pick six in the Egg Bowl.

I know it probably won't work, but it also won't hurt.

I think the MHSAA has control of the video boards during the State Championships.

WinningIsRelentless
11-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Akers is good but it will take 2 years to figure out what position to play him at.

bulldog2488
11-28-2016, 09:55 AM
Akers is good but it will take 2 years to figure out what position to play him at.

I disagree. I think he is a RB all the way.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Sad to see MS kids sell themselves off to out of state schools.

WinningIsRelentless
11-28-2016, 10:34 AM
I disagree. I think he is a RB all the way.

The problem is a running back runs different than a qb taking a direct snap and running to space. I've seen him play numerous times and he isn't decisive runner. He will look a lot like dear does on kickoff returns for us. Dance dance and dance some more and that stuff just doesn't work in the SEC much.

louisvilledawg
11-28-2016, 10:49 AM

I don't think so. Think he stays at rb from day one and stays that way. He isn't ranked the number 6 player in the country because he's a qb

Thick
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
He will be a RB, BUT he has to learn tbe position. Learning a new position at a P5 school won't be easy. I wonder how he's going to adapt to pass protection? Before any of you start going apeshit crazy, I'm just asking because QB in HS is different then RB in college especially SEC/B10. It won't be an overnight adjustment.

bulldog2488
11-28-2016, 10:55 AM
Good points. I still think he will play right away due to his freakish athleticism. I've watched him a lot as well. I taught him a couple of years ago and let me just say he is built like a freak of nature that I think will play RB. I do agree with you though that it may take him some time to adjust going from taking direct snaps to simply being a RB. I do think wherever he goes, the coach would be wise to play him at QB in special packages though because he has a pretty decent arm too.

smootness
11-28-2016, 11:16 AM

You never know. It looks that way right now, but Todd Gurley was a 4-star. It looked like Chubb was good but Sony Michel was another level as recruits. You just never know, and being a great RB is about vision and toughness at least as much as it is about athleticism and speed.

preachermatt83
11-28-2016, 12:10 PM
I have never watched him play live but A high school coach told me just this weekend that Cam Akers is the best player in MS since Marcus Dupree.

BulldogBacker
11-28-2016, 12:21 PM
You never know. It looks that way right now, but Todd Gurley was a 4-star. It looked like Chubb was good but Sony Michel was another level as recruits. You just never know, and being a great RB is about vision and toughness at least as much as it is about athleticism and speed.

Aries Williams has really developed those attributes.

msstate7
11-28-2016, 12:22 PM

Dicenzo miller and dontae walker... walker was supposed to be on another level from Miller. Miller turned out to have the better career though...

Walker career rushing -- 1,875 yds 4.5 per
Miller career rushing -- 2,200 yds 5.4 per

Walker receiving -- 179 yds
Miller receiving -- 732 yds

msstate7
11-28-2016, 12:24 PM
I have never watched him play live but A high school coach told me just this weekend that Cam Akers is the best player in MS since Marcus Dupree.

What HS coach coaching today coached 34-36 years ago?

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 12:27 PM

Did you ever see Dupree play?

msstate7
11-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Did you ever see Dupree play?

I'm biased bc Dupree is my hometown guy, but Akers is no dupree

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 12:32 PM
I'm biased bc Dupree is my hometown guy, but Akers is no dupree

Very talented guy. Saw 30 for 30 on him and it was pretty good. But in HS he was a prima dona and laid out on the field all the time. Constantly coming off the field hurt .. and this when he was usually the biggest fastest dude on the field.

He only won best back in the conference his senior year by 1 vote 4 - 3. Cliff Watson got the other 3 votes. Cliff was a player.

ETA: Mss7 - if you're from Philly ask your former school superintendent Jerry Brantley about Cliff.

smootness
11-28-2016, 12:36 PM
Marcus Dupree is the most talented football player I've ever seen in any context, whether that be in person, on TV, on film, etc. His freshman highlights at Oklahoma make him look like a different species.

smootness
11-28-2016, 12:37 PM
Aries Williams has really developed those attributes.

Yes, he has. He has a chance to have one of the best seasons by a State RB ever next year.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 12:38 PM
Marcus Dupree is the most talented football player I've ever seen in any context, whether that be in person, on TV, on film, etc. His freshman highlights at Oklahoma make him look like a different species.

Hershel much better ... and never laid out on the field. Just as fast and just as big. Marcus was talented tho and I think just mixed up a lot during that time frame. He good guy ... I like him.

smootness
11-28-2016, 12:52 PM
Hershel much better ... and never laid out on the field. Just as fast and just as big. Marcus was talented tho and I think just mixed up a lot during that time frame. He good guy ... I like him.

I just disagree. Herschel was obviously incredible, but I've never seen anything like Dupree's film. Herschel had the speed and the size (though not quite as big as Dupree) and certainly the physicality, but I don't think he was quite the agile runner Dupree was. Dupree had the size of a LB, the speed of an elite sprinter, and the agility of a scat-back. Just breathtaking.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 01:01 PM
I just disagree. Herschel was obviously incredible, but I've never seen anything like Dupree's film. Herschel had the speed and the size (though not quite as big as Dupree) and certainly the physicality, but I don't think he was quite the agile runner Dupree was. Dupree had the size of a LB, the speed of an elite sprinter, and the agility of a scat-back. Just breathtaking.

Did you see the SEC storied on Herschel? They both were world class sprinters and ran very close to same times in 100 yd dash. Hershel beat Carl Lewis and Stanley Floyd in 60 m dashes head up. He destroyed folks on the football field. And never laid out on the field. Dupree laid out 4 times in one HS game against us. In college Herschel was every bit as agile as Dupree.

ETA: There is no doubt tho that Marcus more than his share of God given ability.

Sacrifice
11-28-2016, 01:36 PM
I've seen them both play and Akers is faster but Hill has great vision and power. RB is one position i'm not worried about for the next few years.
With Williams, Gibson, lee, Murphy and Hill, we're gonna be loaded at the RB position.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 01:44 PM
I've seen them both play and Akers is faster but Hill has great vision and power. RB is one position i'm not worried about for the next few years.
With Williams, Gibson, lee, Murphy and Hill, we're gonna be loaded at the RB position.

I think you should be right except ... 4* players don't usually develop well in our program for some reason. As for comparing Akers to Dupree ... it's rare to find a back that fits into the Walker, Jackson, Dupree categories ... with that type of speed, vision, agility. I've never thought Fournette was completely in their categories.