PDA

View Full Version : The "State Way"

oildawg
11-27-2016, 06:10 PM
If you compare how we do things versus our TSUN friends - even at a high level - you can notice a few significant differences.

Recruiting - while they have hauled in gaudy results in national rankings, it is clear that they have cheated to accomplish that. They have reaped short term benefits, but it is not sustainable, and it looks like the NCAA impact could be devastating to them. While most State fans (me included) think we have room to improve in recruiting, at least we do a decent job at it, and we stay within the rules. Advantage - MSU

Player Development - pretty well established that MSU does a better job at this. Dak and Chris Jones are two of the highest performing rookies in the NFL, while Nkemdiche and Treadwell are big disappointments. Not to mention Preston Smith, Fletcher Cox, Bernardrick McKinney, KJ Wright, etc.....

Now, here's the kicker..... Academics..... If TSUN had the better Academic Progress Results, they would be looking to slip into a bowl instead of us. As I understand it, head-to-head doesn't matter. And, MSU rates much higher than TSUN in that category also....

So put it all together... Our "system" or "philosophy" or whatever is stay within the rules, recruit the players we like and can get, develop them - and stress academics. Not a bad combination. I think we are fortunate to have Coach Mullen leading our program.

msbulldog
11-27-2016, 06:15 PM
All good points, all I agree with.

TheRef
11-27-2016, 06:18 PM
OM is the neighbor who drives flashy cars and has a massive house. However, they are up to their eyeballs in debt and the IRS is about to take possession of everything they own.

MSU is like the person who lives well within their means. Sure they don't have flashy new cars, but they have a reliable vehicle who gets from point A to point B without trouble. They have a modest 3 bed/ 2 bath house. They save up a little bit of money for a nice family vacation every other year.

At the end of the day, the modest neighbor stays in the neighborhood without any trouble. Your gaudy neighbor eventually gets kicked out and their house foreclosed on.

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 06:23 PM
OM is the neighbor who drives flashy cars and has a massive house. However, they are up to their eyeballs in debt and the IRS is about to take possession of everything they own.

MSU is like the person who lives well within their means. Sure they don't have flashy new cars, but they have a reliable vehicle who gets from point A to point B without trouble. They have a modest 3 bed/ 2 bath house. They save up a little bit of money for a nice family vacation every other year.

At the end of the day, the modest neighbor stays in the neighborhood without any trouble. Your gaudy neighbor eventually gets kicked out and their house foreclosed on.
Damn, you described me perfectly. great comparison!

starkvegasdawg
11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Damn, you described me perfectly. great comparison!

Which one?

Political Hack
11-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Great post. It bothers me that it's that obvious and everyone, even ole miss fans, don't recognize that we're leaving them in the dust. They don't do things right and take short cuts.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 06:26 PM
If you compare how we do things versus our TSUN friends - even at a high level - you can notice a few significant differences.

Recruiting - while they have hauled in gaudy results in national rankings, it is clear that they have cheated to accomplish that. They have reaped short term benefits, but it is not sustainable, and it looks like the NCAA impact could be devastating to them. While most State fans (me included) think we have room to improve in recruiting, at least we do a decent job at it, and we stay within the rules. Advantage - MSU

Player Development - pretty well established that MSU does a better job at this. Dak and Chris Jones are two of the highest performing rookies in the NFL, while Nkemdiche and Treadwell are big disappointments. Not to mention Preston Smith, Fletcher Cox, Bernardrick McKinney, KJ Wright, etc.....

Now, here's the kicker..... Academics..... If TSUN had the better Academic Progress Results, they would be looking to slip into a bowl instead of us. As I understand it, head-to-head doesn't matter. And, MSU rates much higher than TSUN in that category also....

So put it all together... Our "system" or "philosophy" or whatever is stay within the rules, recruit the players we like and can get, develop them - and stress academics. Not a bad combination. I think we are fortunate to have Coach Mullen leading our program.

Very well put! That may be the most perfect description I've seen!

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 06:29 PM

Dang I think you just nailed most of us to a tee!

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 06:35 PM
Which one?
I wouldn't consider my truck flashy, if that helps.

starkvegasdawg
11-27-2016, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't consider my truck flashy, if that helps.
Figured. Just couldn't resist that jab.

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 06:48 PM
Figured. Just couldn't resist that jab.
I feel ya..... but what gets me is, OM fans are typically flashy yet they haven't gotten a personalized license plate in Alabama yet. I wear my MSU plate with pride.

SailingDawg
11-27-2016, 06:50 PM

What is unm's APR?

EDIT: just looked it up. UNm is at 958, with prior years being 944, 946, 947. They may love Freeze's preacher ways but skipping class isn't helping any of those boys.

Coursesuper
11-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Great post. It bothers me that it's that obvious and everyone, even ole miss fans, don't recognize that we're leaving them in the dust. They don't do things right and take short cuts.

They are the we want it now and don't care how we get it bunch.

TheRef
11-27-2016, 06:52 PM
What is unm's APR?

tireddawg
11-27-2016, 07:24 PM
One of the best post of the year! Props to ya

preachermatt83
11-27-2016, 08:44 PM

Outstanding post!

MabenMaroon
11-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Aren't those scores borderline penalty area?