PDA

View Full Version : For Those Of You Who are Still On The Fire Sirmon Maybe You Should Watch............

yjnkdawg
11-27-2016, 01:41 PM
and see what an actual player (Richie Brown) on the field thinks and says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzEpcs6p5g

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 01:50 PM
Did you expect him to tell the media that Sirmon is an idiot?

yjnkdawg
11-27-2016, 02:14 PM

I'm not saying he will make a good, or great DC. I just think he needs another year to prove or disprove if he is the right fit for our DC. And no, I don't think Richie would call him an idiot in front of the media. But where did the word idiot even come into this?

civildawg
11-27-2016, 02:19 PM
GTFO with this genespage bs. Everybody can see sirmon is way in over his head.

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm not saying he will make a good, or great DC. I just think he needs another year to prove or disprove if he is the right fit for our DC. And no, I don't think Richie would call him an idiot in front of the media. But where did the word idiot even come into this?

"Idiot" was my word. It could have been bad, terrible, incompetent, etc. Point is I don't think any of our players would call out a coach to the media whether they believe what they are saying or not.

lamont
11-27-2016, 02:32 PM
What would be better- is you linking a video within the last 5 years of a college player telling the media before the season is over that his coach should be fired.

Apoplectic
11-27-2016, 03:06 PM
What would saban do

bulldawg28
11-27-2016, 03:06 PM

Lmao

CadaverDawg
11-27-2016, 03:08 PM

I'll link you about 11 games worth of full game film that will show the opposite of whatever Richie says in your link.

West Houston Dog
11-28-2016, 08:36 AM
the 3-4 defense. this years defense about as bad as i can remember...dont have to the stats to back me up but lots of 2016 games results re: yardage and points given up.

Covercorner2
11-28-2016, 08:40 AM
The 3-4 defense sucked against Arkansas, Bama, AU, etc, BUT did it help against Ole Miss and their basketball on grass offense? We seemed to have our best defensive performance against them in years.

BulldogDX55
11-28-2016, 09:08 AM
The year obviously wasn't perfect, but give the man another chance- he lost 3/4 of his defensive backfield in the first week of the season. With nothing left back there, he likely had to compensate in other areas that weakened his gameplan as a whole.

Homedawg
11-28-2016, 09:19 AM
The 3-4 defense sucked against Arkansas, Bama, AU, etc, BUT did it help against Ole Miss and their basketball on grass offense? We seemed to have our best defensive performance against them in years.

We gave up 530 yards. That's our best in years? Hmmmm

DownwardDawg
11-28-2016, 09:19 AM
What would saban do

He would make Kirby Smart put his toys away and come back home.

QuadrupleOption
11-28-2016, 09:24 AM
We gave up 530 yards. That's our best in years? Hmmmm

I would have been happy Saturday if TSUN had gained 800 yards of offense if they didn't score but 20 points. A lot of that yardage could have been cleaned up in the first half if guys had wrapped up and tackled worth a shit. That's what needs to be focused on - until it gets better you could have the love-child of Vince Lombardi and Bear Bryant coaching our defense and it wouldn't make a difference.

Spiderman
11-28-2016, 09:27 AM
and see what an actual player (Richie Brown) on the field thinks and says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbzEpcs6p5g

Texas players also cried and begged for Strong to stay. If Herman gets them winning, Strong will be a distant memory to those guys.

LSU players hired their new Coach, we will see how it works.

thf24
11-28-2016, 09:34 AM
Sirmon and his 3-4 will probably get a little better with experience, but until we start recruiting at Bama's level in our defensive front, it's very unlikely it'll ever be as good as a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 with the same given group of players. It's just asking too much of 90% of college football players to play 2-gap responsibility against SEC o-lines and consistently make the reads necessary for the 3-4 to work. I like what Sirmon brings to the table outside of the scheme he tried to run this year, and there's merit to the argument to stop the revolving DC door, but if he stays on after this year, it needs to be under the condition that he switches over to a more viable college defense (4-2-5 would be almost perfect for our returning personnel).

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2016, 09:37 AM
5 in 5 years? Do any of you think that having 4 the last 4 might have something to do with how bad the D was? It seems that it got worse every year. Maybe if we kept one for a change it might get better.

mparkerfd20
11-28-2016, 09:49 AM
We really have some of the dumbest fans in the nation. Sirmon is NOT DC material. End of story.

Cooterpoot
11-28-2016, 10:02 AM
I really don't care what Ritchie said. I've seen the worst defense I've ever seen at State. He needs to move the hell along.

TrapGame
11-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Dan called a lot of defense Saturday. He said so in the post game. Now was it because he didn't trust his DC or is it b/c he's a control freak?

Homedawg
11-28-2016, 10:07 AM
I would have been happy Saturday if TSUN had gained 800 yards of offense if they didn't score but 20 points. A lot of that yardage could have been cleaned up in the first half if guys had wrapped up and tackled worth a shit. That's what needs to be focused on - until it gets better you could have the love-child of Vince Lombardi and Bear Bryant coaching our defense and it wouldn't make a difference.

But we didn't tackle and didn't all year. That's sorta important. Now can the coaches tackle for em? No.

dawgday166
11-28-2016, 10:20 AM
Sirmon's D might've been better some if Richie had been playing tackle football all year, instead of 2-hand touch. Not saying Sirmon is or will be a great DC, but it didn't help any to have players (like Richie) actually pull up from laying licks on folks.

HSVDawg
11-28-2016, 10:34 AM

It was our best performance against them since the last time Evan Engram was out, who is the straw that stirs the drink for their offense. Not to mention that their all SEC QB was also out and his backup hasn't had enough reps to be able to make all the throws. Simply put, they didn't have the personnel to exploit our biggest weakness, nor did Texas A&M after Knight went down. Good performances by our D in those games, but lets not get crazy and act like we shut down some high powered offenses. We were just as lucky as we were good in both instances.

Coach007
11-28-2016, 10:41 AM
GTFO with this genespage bs. Everybody can see sirmon is way in over his head.

Just like everybody said Dan sucks and needs to go. etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Unless he decides to go, he will be the DC and I'm ok with that.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 10:47 AM
We gave up nearly a TD more per game this year than Dan's first with Torbush. Gave up the most yards per game since Dan has been here, 466, and just the second time over 400 yards per game under Dan. Sacks, tackles for loss, rush defense, and interceptions were ok to just a little better than average. But scoring, total defense, lot of confusion at times and tackling is a major concern. I really really don't want to change DC again but those numbers are putrid and we have fired 2 DC with better numbers.

Coach007
11-28-2016, 10:53 AM
We gave up nearly a TD more per game this year than Dan's first with Torbush. Gave up the most yards per game since Dan has been here, 466, and just the second time over 400 yards per game under Dan. Sacks, tackles for loss, rush defense, and interceptions were ok to just a little better than average. But scoring, total defense, lot of confusion at times and tackling is a major concern. I really really don't want to change DC again but those numbers are putrid and we have fired 2 DC with better numbers.

Agreed. It has to be and get better. If that means Mullen fires him, I'm ok with that too. But I'm not going to complain if he does not. This defense is a good starting point for that system.

maroonmania
11-28-2016, 11:10 AM
I personally just think Sirmon was just a bad fit from the start. Not only did he run a different scheme than we were used to running but he is obviously using this job as a stepping stone to get experience in and learn to be a DC. Right now he will definitely be back if Mullen will have him because after our defensive performance this year nobody else will want him. If we should somehow miraculously have a good defense next year he will likely be on the first train out of town back out West somewhere or wherever he can get his family all living in the same town again.

redstickdawg
11-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Sirmon needs to go as the 3-4 doesn't cut it in the SEC. We don't have the athletes and don't see them in the works either. The only way we beat TAMU, TSUN, UMASS and others is that our offense controlled the game as the D was generally ineffective.

Coach007
11-28-2016, 12:22 PM
Sirmon needs to go as the 3-4 doesn't cut it in the SEC. We don't have the athletes and don't see them in the works either. The only way we beat TAMU, TSUN, UMASS and others is that our offense controlled the game as the D was generally ineffective.

Bama says hello

thf24
11-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Bama says hello

Yes, they and their NFL-caliber 2-deep front 7. We're simply never going to recruit well enough to put a decent 3-4 front 7 on the field, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Vandy is also a 3-4 hybrid multiple defense. Even when they go to a 4-3 look it's with 2 gap tech on the DL. Wisconsin has ran it very well for a long while. So it's not just Bama with elite athletes.

Coach007
11-28-2016, 12:59 PM
Yes, they and their NFL-caliber 2-deep front 7. We're simply never going to recruit well enough to put a decent 3-4 front 7 on the field, at least not in the foreseeable future.

We have not had 1 recruiting class dedicated to the 3-4. So yeah... not really set up for that currently. I'm willing to give it time based on the flashes of greatness we have seen.

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/430.0/12424

As you can see, Our rush defense was not horrible. It wasn't the best, but for a transition into a 3-4 it wasn't bad. Passing defense is another story. But we lost 2 starters to the draft and graduation. Then their replacements for the year. Sometimes, just being honest with the situation helps out a lot in clarity.

Coach007
11-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Vandy is also a 3-4 hybrid multiple defense. Even when they go to a 4-3 look it's with 2 gap tech on the DL. Wisconsin has ran it very well for a long while. So it's not just Bama with elite athletes.

Yeah, the reason I like it is for those spread option teams.

bulldawg28
11-28-2016, 01:06 PM
The defense probably would have worked better if people were in the right natural positions. Gerri should have been an rushing end. Richie should have been outside. Leo and Harris inside gives us two physical backers.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Jim Leavitt, 750K.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 01:39 PM
Jim Leavitt, 750K.

He has done a good job and is a good coach. However, I bet he ends up as a HC at a lower teir program. Florida Atlantic, Nevada, etc just opened up.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2016, 01:45 PM
He has done a good job and is a good coach. However, I bet he ends up as a HC at a lower teir program. Florida Atlantic, Nevada, etc just opened up.

He's done an unbelievable job. Took the worst defense in the country and has made them very good in 2 years. We should at least give it a shot. Make him associate HC and pay him a milly if we have to.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 01:53 PM
He's done an unbelievable job. Took the worst defense in the country and has made them very good in 2 years. We should at least give it a shot. Make him associate HC and pay him a milly if we have to.

If we decide to replace, definitely call. He just also had a good HC track record as well and it's been a while since the incident. I can just see him also getting a HC opportunity this year if he wants it. If Orlando doesn't get the Houston job, which he might, or goes to Texas, would be another call. If we decide to change.

blacklistedbully
11-28-2016, 01:55 PM

To be fair...it could have been a lot worse had OM receivers not dropped the ball several times.

Jack Lambert
11-28-2016, 01:59 PM

He probably wouldn't say anything if he didn't mean what he said.

Mjoelner34
11-28-2016, 02:02 PM
.... Passing defense is another story. But we lost 2 starters to the draft and graduation. Then their replacements for the year.

I think there is even more to it. We seem to play a lot of straight drop zone instead of matchup zone. Therefore, our DBs are sitting on their heels in the middle of their zones when a guy curls 5yds in front of and to the left of them and we don't budge until the pass is in the air. We then get there just in time to get juked and miss a tackle. I wish we'd play more man or matchup zone. At least we'd be close enough to instantly make a tackle when they caught the ball. I think we did play a lot more of this on Saturday.

Todd4State
11-28-2016, 02:12 PM
I think there is even more to it. We seem to play a lot of straight drop zone instead of matchup zone. Therefore, our DBs are sitting on their heels in the middle of their zones when a guy curls 5yds in front of and to the left of them and we don't budge until the pass is in the air. We then get there just in time to get juked and miss a tackle. I wish we'd play more man or matchup zone. At least we'd be close enough to instantly make a tackle when they caught the ball. I think we did play a lot more of this on Saturday.

Personally I would like to see a hybrid 4-3/3-4 with a lot of pressure but if I was Dan I think he needs a guy that is a Tampa 2 guy based on how we usually play defense.

Mjoelner34
11-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Personally I would like to see a hybrid 4-3/3-4 with a lot of pressure .....

Me too! I remember one of things that made me high on Sirmon after his hire was him saying he would adjust his style of defense to fit the opponent rather than the usual "We're going to put the best 11 on the field and build a defense around them" you usually hear from every coach. Included in that was him saying he'd switch back and forth between 3-4 and 4-3. I don't recall ever seeing us in a 4-3 this year. Calvin with his hand on the ground outside doesn't make it a 4-3.

Really Clark?
11-28-2016, 02:39 PM
Aranda reportedly agreeing to a 3 year deal and associate HC title to stay at LSU

QuadrupleOption
11-28-2016, 02:51 PM
But we didn't tackle and didn't all year. That's sorta important. Now can the coaches tackle for em? No.

Right - that's my point. Our guys couldn't tackle worth a damn. And that's a problem that's been ongoing for at least 3 years now. Until that gets cleaned up it won't matter what scheme we run.

TrapGame
11-28-2016, 02:54 PM
Right - that's my point. Our guys couldn't tackle worth a damn. And that's a problem that's been ongoing for at least 3 years now. Until that gets cleaned up it won't matter what scheme we run.

Oh Lord yes! If just Ritchie had made half the tackles he missed this year we would've beaten BYU and USA.