PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning QB- Coach Swaggert is Crying Edition

lamont
11-27-2016, 12:58 PM
1. The phrase of the day was #RTGDF and run it we did. 457 yards rushing. I kept thinking OM was going to adjust and load the box more on us- nope. Helluva way to go out Wommack. I mentioned numerous times the last 3 years their DL has had their way with us, especially early on in games. Not the case this year. Our OL took control from start to finish. Great job by the Fatboys. We are losing the right side of our OL and Center for next season. Big holes to fill. The best thing about getting a bowl game? Hevesy can get some real work for whomever next year's Center is going to be. Cant start those reps quick enough.

2. There is absolutely no excuse as to why we wasted the 1st half of 2016 running Holloway and Shump over the A-Train. It's not a coincidence that Fitz has become one of the top QB's in the entire Country since we started playing Williams full time. He runs thru arm tackles that Holloway just couldnt. I'll give ya 2015 as he may not have been ready- maybe. I'll give Dan Walsh the benefit of the doubt there. But not 2016. Unless there were some discipline issues that nobody is aware of- simply no excuse for wasting the 1st half of 2016. If he is dumb and struggles some with the offense- whittle it down some for him but get him toting the rock. The good side of that is we have alot of excitement heading into 2017 with our running game. Fitz, A-Train, plus whatever RB emerges as the back-up should have a great year if the OL can develop

3. Fitz finally got caught after breaking free. Guy had the angle- but still. 1st time Fitz has been rundown after breaking free. Whitey just keeps on rolling and setting rushing records. Over 1,200 yards rushing this year. Thats incredible for a QB. And Mullen cost him at least 100 by pulling him vs South Alabama. I havent checked what the single season rushing record is at State- but you have to think it's within reach with a bowl game. He makes the run game damn good. Hopefully he uses the offseason to study film and then Spring practice to elevate his passing game. Should he stay healthy- he is going to break all of Prescott's records. He is a better R-Soph than Dakota was in 2013. He has thrown twice as many TD's- stayed healthy (Dakota had the freak nerve injury)- and amassed almost 800 more yards of total offense heading into 1 more game most likely.

Fitz also settled who had the best QB right now in the state of Mississippi. Its not even close right now

4. Fred Ross got him one last one. They did a really good job of locking Fred up when he lined up outside. So we put him in the slot- ran a crossing route- Boom it's a Touchdown. Gonna be hard to replace this guy next year

5. Another good coaching call was the PA pass TD to Dear. When you have a run game like we do with Fitz/Williams- PA can be lethal and it was- Dear running free with nobody even close. Touchdown

6. On the opposite side- the fake punt was a coaching mistake. Was the only way they could get have gotten back into the game at the time. Setting up a return at that point of the game was not as important as making sure they punted. Mistakes like that just cant happen. Great call by Coach Swaggert- his only one of the day.

7. I hate, hate, hate the 3-4. Its a garbage defense unless you have Alabama a type talent. We dont have players capable upfront except Simmons (and he isnt ready yet as a Freshman) to play 2 gap responsibility. So then we start slanting- and OL's just push us the way we slant and create cut back running lanes for the RB's to gash us. 4-3 is a one gap responsibility D and one we are better suited for. Walking a stand up LB down on the LOS doesnt make a 4 man front. When we get 3 guys like Simmons upfront- then we can run a 3-4. Gerri Green needs to gain 15 pounds and put his hand on the ground in 2017.

8. One thing we did do well was run LB'ers at Shay Shay when he broke the pocket. Every time he broke contain the playside LB was coached to pressure him. We missed a few tackles in the 1st half and it cost us points. We didnt miss in the 2nd half. Definitely a good strategy vs him defensively.

9. We locked up and played a ton of man. It worked for us. We lost some battles- and we knew we would. But overall we kept on them and made it tough for their rookie to put it in tighter windows. Another good coaching adjustment that worked. Great pick by Peters in the end zone after dropping a candy one earlier. Jiles played good ball. We'll miss him but we get the rest of them back for next year. Lots of work to do this Spring to recognize routes, getting in better position....just basic mechanics of the CB position. Coman playued pretty well yesterday and I wish him well. McLaurin should be a good player next year- lots of growth by him this season.

10. 5-7. Too many coaching mistakes and poor play in 2016. Pulling Fitz cost us a game in the opener, not playing Aeris the 1st half of the season, our kicker getting the yips, our defense constantly looking clueless. Lots of work to do for this group heading into 2017. Lots of important holes to fill on the OL and a huge one at WR. Who joins Simmons on the DL and can that group be physical? Who replaces R. Brown? Can we get any consistent Secondary play?

As far as OM- **** those guys. Enjoy your Probation and huge losses of schollys. Goodbye Coach Swaggert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZ5GpcG4sc

GTHOM
11-27-2016, 01:08 PM
7. Theres more than one way to run a 3-4. You hit on it some with slanting but you can also go with speed and zone blitz a lot. 3 under 3 deep their ass to death and make them guess where you are coming from. But I dont see us do that a lot. Mullen is too conservative for it. A lot of our problem on defense this year was simple. We had no idea how to line up and we didnt tackle very well. Period

lamont
11-27-2016, 01:11 PM
7. Theres more than one way to run a 3-4. You hit on it some with slanting but you can also go with speed and zone blitz a lot. 3 under 3 deep their ass to death and make them guess where you are coming from. But I dont see us do that a lot. Mullen is too conservative for it. A lot of our problem on defense this year was simple. We had no idea how to line up and we didnt tackle very well. Period

and we rarely brought pressure. Forcing shitty CB's to cover longer is not a good strategy

SailingDawg
11-27-2016, 01:15 PM
4. Fred Ross got him one last one. They did a really good job of locking Fred up when he lined up outside. So we put him in the slot- ran a crossing route- Boom it's a Touchdown. Gonna be hard to replace this guy next year

And Ross will win the Conerly, adding salt to the wound.

msstate7
11-27-2016, 01:31 PM
Thought jiles was getting 6th year

Madisonmd
11-27-2016, 01:31 PM
We have to upgrade our speed on defense! We just don't run well enough. This recruiting cycle feels critical at this time.

lamont
11-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Thought jiles was getting 6th year

Thats Cleveland

msstate7
11-27-2016, 01:33 PM
Thats Cleveland

Did jiles walk out at senior night?

WinningIsRelentless
11-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Thats Cleveland

Jiles can apply for one also

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Errol will fill in nicely where Richie left off..... his aggressiveness will definitely be an upgrade. I've been waiting to see him and Leo line up together.

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Paul Jones said Jiles is applying for a sixth year. No idea if he gets it.

msstate7
11-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Errol will fill in nicely where Richie left off..... his aggressiveness will definitely be an upgrade. I've been waiting to see him and Leo line up together.

I've been wondering about Thompson. Have we been pleased with him in practice?

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 01:42 PM

I like Richie but he doesn't fit the 3-4 at ILB at all. Maybe he could play Star but it seemed like he got caught up in the wash a lot. Some of that is on the d-line though.

Ari Gold
11-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Hopefully a RT can emerge this off season.. We need to keep Jenkins at guard..
Can't replace Ross but Gray will have a big year next year for us. Getting Gudiry and having Todd and Couch outside next year will be big. Can play Gray in slot more.
I would also like for GGreen to add a few LB's and move to DE. Green, Spencer, Sweat and Rivers is a big time group of DE
Dantzler will be a stud, Clevland is back, and when we sign Nixon this group will be 100x better and deeper.
ATrain with Hill and Clyde is a SEC backfield

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 02:16 PM
I've been wondering about Thompson. Have we been pleased with him in practice?

Yeah, he's a hitter. Kobe Jones is looking slim as well. Watch him playing next to Simmons next year. I'm excited about the youth we are bringing back.

The OL scares me, but that's every year. We are fine at WR. Yes, losing Ross sucks but we still have Gray. And we also have Couch, who's going to be really good. You think Bear could block? That's all Couch did in high school.

Thick
11-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Are we giving up on Gibson at RB with who we are expected to sign?

msstate7
11-27-2016, 02:22 PM

I haven't given up on him...

Williams -- jr
Gibson -- soph
Hill -- freshman

If we get Clyde, even better.

Political Hack
11-27-2016, 02:28 PM
We'll be better on D because we can't be worse. Our DBs will be more experienced and we have a lot of guys with snaps returning along with some instant depth from juco. I like the 3-4 for the simple fact that you have to recruit fewer DL types and more LB types. Helps a lot on special teams.

Offensively we've got to find 3-4 more OL to step up. That's a lot, especially considering our starting Center and RT are two of the holes. Our running game should be ridiculously good if we get replacements up front. If that happens, it'll open up the passing game. Everything henges on the OL... And kicker.

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 02:32 PM
We'll be better on D because we can't be worse. Our DBs will be more experienced and we have a lot of guys with snaps returning along with some instant depth from juco. I like the 3-4 for the simple fact that you have to recruit fewer DL types and more LB types. Helps a lot on special teams.

Offensively we've got to find 3-4 more OL to step up. That's a lot, especially considering our starting Center and RT are two of the holes. Our running game should be ridiculously good if we get replacements up front. If that happens, it'll open up the passing game. Everything henges on the OL... And kicker.

I wish we could flex between a 4-3 and 3-4. Use the 3-4 against Ole Miss and A&M and the 4-3 against Bama and Arkansas.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Paul Jones just said that Cam Dantzler is the best CB on the team.

It would be sweet if a guy like him stepped up & turned into a Redmond type

RougeDawg
11-27-2016, 02:43 PM
I wish we could flex between a 4-3 and 3-4. Use the 3-4 against Ole Miss and A&M and the 4-3 against Bama and Arkansas.

I like this a lot.

chef dixon
11-27-2016, 03:04 PM
Thats Cleveland

This is only Cleveland's 4th year with the team.

CadaverDawg
11-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Having Jiles and Cleveland back to give us depth would be great.

I hate the 3-4. We don't have the talent. I agree about Green moving to DE...he looked like he was wearing concrete shoes yesterday trying to chase guys down in the open field.

I like the length we have in the secondary with Peters and McLaurin...but we lack speed in our secondary. We need guys that can keep up with SEC WR's. Especially if we're going to keep the 3-4 and making them have to cover for 10 seconds per play.

I agree with all of it, Coach. Good post

lamont
11-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Paul Jones just said that Cam Dantzler is the best CB on the team.

It would be sweet if a guy like him stepped up & turned into a Redmond type

I refuse to believe to RS'ed the best CB we had. Maybe we did- but I just dont see it. If he had been- he would have played some ST's and gotten work all year until he was ready to play. Kinda like we heard all last year Gibson was our best RB.

We'll see

Ari Gold
11-27-2016, 03:46 PM
I refuse to believe to RS'ed the best CB we had. Maybe we did- but I just dont see it. If he had been- he would have played some ST's and gotten work all year until he was ready to play. Kinda like we heard all last year Gibson was our best RB.

We'll see

He got hurt in fall practice.. Would have missed the first few games

lamont
11-27-2016, 03:48 PM
He got hurt in fall practice.. Would have missed the first few games..

ok- that makes sense

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 03:57 PM
He got hurt in fall practice.. Would have missed the first few games

Aw great info. That's reasonable.

bulldawg28
11-27-2016, 04:02 PM

Gibson is the best overall back on the roster. He' easily 2nd team with plenty of playing time.

bulldawg28
11-27-2016, 04:05 PM
Having Jiles and Cleveland back to give us depth would be great.

I hate the 3-4. We don't have the talent. I agree about Green moving to DE...he looked like he was wearing concrete shoes yesterday trying to chase guys down in the open field.

I like the length we have in the secondary with Peters and McLaurin...but we lack speed in our secondary. We need guys that can keep up with SEC WR's. Especially if we're going to keep the 3-4 and making them have to cover for 10 seconds per play.

I agree with all of it, Coach. Good post

JIles missed 90% of his tackles and plays afraid. I hope the depth part is right as in backup. We need to get rid of the midget corner syndrome.

Todd4State
11-27-2016, 04:29 PM
JIles missed 90% of his tackles and plays afraid. I hope the depth part is right as in backup. We need to get rid of the midget corner syndrome.

Peters, Giles, Graham, and Durr is a solid group. I'd probably start Peters and Durr because they looked the best to me.

Thick
11-27-2016, 05:30 PM
Green had an ankle or something, because he was limping not running. It was definitely noticeable.

Sacrifice
11-27-2016, 05:38 PM
Peters, Giles, Graham, and Durr is a solid group. I'd probably start Peters and Durr because they looked the best to me.

Just rewatched the game and Peters and Durr had a freakin game!
Durr only allowed 2 catches and Peters only allowed one catch ALL GAME. Peters had 3 huge plays. The int in the end zone, the PBU in the end zone and the 4 and 1 play. Very excited about these 2 next season

I seen it dawg
11-27-2016, 05:50 PM
Gibson is the best overall back on the roster. He' easily 2nd team with plenty of playing time.

What you think you see isn't always the reality.

DanDority
11-27-2016, 05:57 PM
1. The phrase of the day was #RTGDF and run it we did. 457 yards rushing. I kept thinking OM was going to adjust and load the box more on us- nope. Helluva way to go out Wommack. I mentioned numerous times the last 3 years their DL has had their way with us, especially early on in games. Not the case this year. Our OL took control from start to finish. Great job by the Fatboys. We are losing the right side of our OL and Center for next season. Big holes to fill. The best thing about getting a bowl game? Hevesy can get some real work for whomever next year's Center is going to be. Cant start those reps quick enough.

2. There is absolutely no excuse as to why we wasted the 1st half of 2016 running Holloway and Shump over the A-Train. It's not a coincidence that Fitz has become one of the top QB's in the entire Country since we started playing Williams full time. He runs thru arm tackles that Holloway just couldnt. I'll give ya 2015 as he may not have been ready- maybe. I'll give Dan Walsh the benefit of the doubt there. But not 2016. Unless there were some discipline issues that nobody is aware of- simply no excuse for wasting the 1st half of 2016. If he is dumb and struggles some with the offense- whittle it down some for him but get him toting the rock. The good side of that is we have alot of excitement heading into 2017 with our running game. Fitz, A-Train, plus whatever RB emerges as the back-up should have a great year IF the OL can develop

3. Fitz finally got caught after breaking free. Guy had the angle- but still. 1st time Fitz has been rundown after breaking free. Whitey just keeps on rolling and setting rushing records. Over 1,200 yards rushing this year. Thats incredible for a QB. And Mullen cost him at least 100 by pulling him vs South Alabama. I havent checked what the single season rushing record is at State- but you have to think it's within reach with a bowl game. He makes the run game damn good. Hopefully he uses the offseason to study film and then Spring practice to elevate his passing game. Should he stay healthy- he is going to break all of Prescott's records. He is a better R-Soph than Dakota was in 2013. He has thrown twice as many TD's- stayed healthy (Dakota had the freak nerve injury)- and amassed almost 800 more yards of total offense heading into 1 more game most likely.

Fitz also settled who had the best QB right now in the state of Mississippi. Its not even close right now

5. Another good coaching call was the PA pass TD to Dear. When you have a run game like we do with Fitz/Williams- PA can be lethal and it was- Dear running free with nobody even close. Touchdown

6. On the opposite side- the fake punt was a coaching mistake. Was the only way they could get have gotten back into the game at the time. Setting up a return at that point of the game was not as important as making sure they punted. Mistakes like that just cant happen. Great call by Coach Swaggert- his only one of the day.

7. I hate, hate, hate the 3-4. Its a garbage defense unless you have Alabama a type talent. We dont have players capable upfront except Simmons (and he isnt ready yet as a Freshman) to play 2 gap responsibility. So then we start slanting- and OL's just push us the way we slant and create cut back running lanes for the RB's to gash us. 4-3 is a one gap responsibility D and one we are better suited for. Walking a stand up LB down on the LOS doesnt make a 4 man front. When we get 3 guys like Simmons upfront- then we can run a 3-4. Gerri Green needs to gain 15 pounds and put his hand on the ground in 2017.

8. One thing we did do well was run LB'ers at Shay Shay when he broke the pocket. Every time he broke contain the playside LB was coached to pressure him. We missed a few tackles in the 1st half and it cost us points. We didnt miss in the 2nd half. Definitely a good strategy vs him defensively.

9. We locked up and played a ton of man. It worked for us. We lost some battles- and we knew we would. But overall we kept on them and made it tough for their rookie to put it in tighter windows. Another good coaching adjustment that worked. Great pick by Peters in the end zone after dropping a candy one earlier. Jiles played good ball. We'll miss him but we get the rest of them back for next year. Lots of work to do this Spring to recognize routes, getting in better position....just basic mechanics of the CB position. Coman playued pretty well yesterday and I wish him well. McLaurin should be a good player next year- lots of growth by him this season.

10. 5-7. Too many coaching mistakes and poor play in 2016. Pulling Fitz cost us a game in the opener, not playing Aeris the 1st half of the season, our kicker getting the yips, our defense constantly looking clueless. Lots of work to do for this group heading into 2017. Lots of important holes to fill on the OL and a huge one at WR. Who joins Simmons on the DL and can that group be physical? Who replaces R. Brown? Can we get any consistent Secondary play?

As far as OM- **** those guys. Enjoy your Probation and huge losses of schollys. Goodbye Coach Swaggert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeZ5GpcG4sc

That's a BIG IF!

PassInterference
11-27-2016, 05:58 PM
and we rarely brought pressure. Forcing shitty CB's to cover longer is not a good strategy

I noticed yesterday we rushed just 3 a lot, then let the OLB come in if Shea ever moved out of the pocket. It mostly made Shea throw before he wanted to.

Also noticed Shea got tired in the 2nd half. He can run like JFF but he can't do it all game. He looked tired in the 2nd half. I guess one strategy against him is to chase him enough to wear him out.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-27-2016, 06:21 PM
12. Need to kick ass in the weight room and conditioning training. Time to beef up.

defiantdog
11-27-2016, 06:34 PM
I noticed yesterday we rushed just 3 a lot, then let the OLB come in if Shea ever moved out of the pocket. It mostly made Shea throw before he wanted to.

Also noticed Shea got tired in the 2nd half. He can run like JFF but he can't do it all game. He looked tired in the 2nd half. I guess one strategy against him is to chase him enough to wear him out.
We added a DB since we knew they were going to throw the ball. Patterson was confused and needs development..... he's going to be good, but he wasn't ready for the stage.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 06:57 PM
We added a DB since we knew they were going to throw the ball. Patterson was confused and needs development..... he's going to be good, but he wasn't ready for the stage.

I was hoping we would play nickel and dime a lot and we did. Great adjustments on defense second half too! We held them to zero points and under 200 yards second half.

dawgoneyall
11-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Just rewatched the game and Peters and Durr had a freakin game!
Durr only allowed 2 catches and Peters only allowed one catch ALL GAME. Peters had 3 huge plays. The int in the end zone, the PBU in the end zone and the 4 and 1 play. Very excited about these 2 next season

Peters needs instruction with a track guy and pick up a half step in speed. Don't know if that is possible but would make him dangerous.

bulldawg28
11-27-2016, 07:43 PM
What you think you see isn't always the reality.

I can believe it.

I_Spy
11-27-2016, 08:07 PM
I like Jamal Peters and he gave us all what we had been waiting to see frankly. Hope. Lol

They didn't take it easy on Shea, and I think this year will be the easiest they take on Shea.

Rd 1 Fitz
RD 2 (probably gunna be Fitz)

There was always 3 state guys chasing Shea they just gotta catch them, much like Manziel. Whereas Fitz just goes straight ahead up the field like a real man.

Manziel in the pros, unsuccessful.