PDA

View Full Version : Oregon is Firing Helfrich

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2016, 11:59 PM
Will be interesting who they hire.

Not sure there is a guy worth Phil Knight spending 6+ mil on.

Perhaps they go PJ Fleck, Kiffin?, Frost?.

I don't think the guy some of you are thinking about could recruit well enough there & I also don't think he would win the press conference. Additionally, Oregon faces many of the same issues that MSU does. Low instate population & with Washington & USC getting back on track, that job won't be easy.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2016, 12:02 AM
Looks like PJ Fleck could be a good fit there according to Wolken

lamont
11-27-2016, 12:22 AM
Mullen will try to get that job and ask Chip Kelly for help. I dont blame him for that. Can he land it? I doubt it- but ya never know

Quaoarsking
11-27-2016, 12:23 AM
Chip Kelly needs to accept that the NFL isn't for him and head back to Oregon.

justwin
11-27-2016, 12:26 AM
Mullen will try to get that job and ask Chip Kelly for help. I dont blame him for that. Can he land it? I doubt it- but ya never know

Just stop. It's getting really old

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2016, 12:28 AM
I think Oregon will go with Fleck. They wouldn't have to pay him as much as Mullen & probably figure they are getting an equal or better coach.

What we pay Mullen really prices him out of leaving for anything other than a top tier job & he'd have to build our program back up before getting that offer. Unless he wants to take a big pay cut

Really Clark?
11-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Boise St coach has been mentioned as having a good possibility of getting a call

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2016, 12:36 AM
I'm just not sure the Oregon job is a very good job anymore. Low instate talent base, the uniform advantages have kind of run it's course, &, with USC & Washington beginning to role, I just don't know how they get back to where they were.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-27-2016, 12:54 AM
Harsin & Fleck are high on their board.

lamont
11-27-2016, 12:57 AM
Just stop. It's getting really old

I'm not telling you what I think- I'm telling you what I know

ScottH
11-27-2016, 01:15 AM
Wolken is already pimping Mullen to Oregon.

Obviously he has gotten his now annual career management update texts from Ms. Mullen. Damn she's quick on the draw this year.

lamont
11-27-2016, 01:34 AM
I just cant see Sexton selling it. Mullen picked the wrong year to be 5-7. I think he ends up in Starkville another year. But as I heard earlier- his hopes were Arizona or Oregon. I give Houston an outside chance but unlikely.

Next 2 weeks or so will be fun for schools all over the country

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2016, 01:40 AM
I just cant see Sexton selling it. Mullen picked the wrong year to be 5-7. I think he ends up in Starkville another year. But as I heard earlier- his hopes were Arizona or Oregon. I give Houston an outside chance but unlikely.

I'd love to keep Mullen and him be extended, but, with Fitz and Aeris here for two more years, we are actually in a decent spot if we need a new coach. New guy would be taking over a pretty good situation.

I hope Mullen stays and builds on this though.

Liverpooldawg
11-27-2016, 01:43 AM
Serious blow.

AROB44
11-27-2016, 03:05 AM
If Mullen leaves, we will be set back years. Going to be a serious downgrade in a head coach.

MarketingBully
11-27-2016, 03:23 AM

Houston? Really dude.

TimberBeast
11-27-2016, 03:23 AM

We can only hope

bulldawg28
11-27-2016, 04:55 AM

Again, when it comes to Mullen's personal affairs you know nothing. Give it a rest. You bitch all year about Ole Miss go and at least fake being happy. I'm starting to wonder is something wrong.

BB30
11-27-2016, 05:34 AM
Haha random is just trying to drive more controversy. May be wrong but not sure I saw one positive post after egg bowl win from someone who apparently hates everything om. Hard for him to say I told ya so when he's wrong and he would almost almost rather be right than for us to get some mo headed into the off season and next year. Mentioning houston just proves he's looking for click bait. Had we finished with 8-9 wins Oregon may have been a real possibility Mullen isn't going anywhere

civildawg
11-27-2016, 08:05 AM
I'd love to keep Mullen and him be extended, but, with Fitz and Aeris here for two more years, we are actually in a decent spot if we need a new coach. New guy would be taking over a pretty good situation.

I hope Mullen stays and builds on this though.

We can extend Mullen but the buyout needs to remain the same. He needs to win some games next year

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Brian Kelly may be leaving notre dame too. Would ND be interested in Mullen?

MetEdDawg
11-27-2016, 08:43 AM

No way a catholic school hires a scientologist**

DogsofAnarchy
11-27-2016, 09:19 AM
No it wouldn't. There are plenty of guys out there that can win 6 or 7 games a year at MSU. Mullen and his staff have recruited ok but not fantastic. Mullen and his staff have called pretty good offense but not fantastic. And defensively, well.....ok. We are not going to have a HUGE drop off if Mullen leaves. Hire the right guy and there won't be a drop off at all.

QUOTE=AROB44;659527]If Mullen leaves, we will be set back years. Going to be a serious downgrade in a head coach.[/QUOTE]

msstate7
11-27-2016, 09:21 AM

I don't know who ND will be interested in; but if I were them, I go get Matt rhule.

dawgs
11-27-2016, 10:18 AM
Uncle Phil will make chip turn him down, rumors of up to $10M/year. 49ers we're gonna be awful regardless of the coach, but the owner and GM are nightmares to work for. After that, fleck or kiffin or harsin would be my bet, probably in that order. Would be cool to see them bring in someone like bob stitt as an OC.

Bothrops
11-27-2016, 12:31 PM
Mullen won't go from State to Houston...I mean that's a huge joke. I can't see him going but maybe a couple of places, knowing he has Fitz for two more years. Even if he got offered a big job, he won't have Nicky Fitz, and probably won't get another anytime soon. Mullen offense doesn't operate without a game changing qb. Where else would he have one??

GTHOM
11-27-2016, 12:46 PM
Mullen is at MSU in 2017. For better or for worse

GTHOM
11-27-2016, 12:47 PM

Yes

smootness
11-27-2016, 01:03 PM
Anyone whose sources think Mullen might leave for Houston needs new sources.

HSVDawg
11-27-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure how Frost isn't a shoe in. Had a quick turnaround at UCF this year, and Oregon struggled mightily after he left. Seems similar to the Chizik-Malzahn situation at Auburn.

MrKotter
11-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Every year the same people say Mullen is shopping for every job open and so many of you buy it. It's sad our our fan base leads the charge. Some of you are just to gullible

ScottH
11-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Anyone whose sources think Mullen might leave for Houston needs new sources.

Truth.

No coach of his own accord is going to take a 30% plus pay cut and go from a 4+mm P5 gig to a non-P5 job.

Ferttita dollars or not in Houston's case.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2016, 04:02 PM
I'm not sure how Frost isn't a shoe in. Had a quick turnaround at UCF this year, and Oregon struggled mightily after he left. Seems similar to the Chizik-Malzahn situation at Auburn.

I believe you could be right. He was great OC at Oregon and did good at ucf. I could see him getting the job.

Tbonewannabe
11-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Truth.

No coach of his own accord is going to take a 30% plus pay cut and go from a 4+mm P5 gig to a non-P5 job.

Ferttita dollars or not in Houston's case.

Exactly, unless Mullen absolutely hates living in Starkvegas and is tired of the SEC grind then he is more than likely back for 2017. He has 2 years to prove he is worthy of a top ten level job and with Fitz and Williams he has a good chance.

dawgs
11-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Every year the same people say Mullen is shopping for every job open and so many of you buy it. It's sad our our fan base leads the charge. Some of you are just to gullible

see right now on the initial lists, it's fine for mullen to get mentioned. if in a couple of weeks mullen is still being mentioned, then mullen and his agent are purposefully keeping his name in the discussion or he's actually one of the finalist and has been interviewing. mullen should come out strongly against any rumors now and make sure his name doesn't linger in the coaching carousel unless he is planning to take the job.

dawgs
11-27-2016, 04:51 PM

frost might end up being a candidate or maybe even the guy that gets hired, but he's far from a shoe in. 1 year as a HC and he went 6-6. not bad, but when you have a booster like phil knight willing to spend upwards of $10M/year, you would like to see a little more from frost before you make that hire, or have 4 or 5 more proven commodities turn you down.

also, clearly the offense wasn't as good as before, but they still had a top 20 offense in total yards per game and averaged nearly 34 ppg, all with a change to a true freshman QB midseason. the defense in the wake of alliotti's retirement after the 2014 season though is epicly bad.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
11-27-2016, 05:39 PM
If/when Mullen leaves then we go after a young and up in coming coach like a PJ Fleck. We've got a pretty good nucleus for someone with "fire in their bellies" to take over here and not miss a stride. We'll be ok if Dan moves on this year, next year or the year after.