PDA

View Full Version : Better/worse by position debate: Offense

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 09:49 AM
I went through who I was guessing our offensive starters would be and deemed them either upgrade, downgrade, or same. It's a fun debate topic b/c everyone will have differing opinions. It's also a good indicator of what our expectations should be for the offense.

http://3rdand57.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/msu-2013-offensive-roster-position-by-position-upgrade-or-downgrade/

Coach34
04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
I'm gonna disagree about Malone- why? Because Malone started 8 or 9 games last year. Tobias only played in a handfull of games. So with Malone basically having a year under his belt starting, I think he is going to be alot better.

Bo Darville
04-08-2013, 10:25 AM
I feel there was absolutely ZERO dropoff last year when Malone played over Tobias in the passing game. Malone may have actually been better than Tobias. The dropoff came when Malone played over Tobias in the running game. However, Malone is smart and didn't play much high school football. He has a high ceiling and got tons of snaps last year. I'm hopeful that his run blocking will come along. Tobias gave us more of a physical surge in the running game.

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
That 1 is debatable no doubt. He has room to improve (which I state in the article) but last year we would not be able to run the ball at all and we insert Tobias and like magic, we can. He should make a jump but he has to show more, particularly in the running game

FISHDAWG
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I think we have a small uptick in the TE position ... Green had a decent year but for some reason I have always been sold on Johnson
either way , it's close

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
I feel there was absolutely ZERO dropoff last year when Malone played over Tobias in the passing game. Malone may have actually been better than Tobias. The dropoff came when Malone played over Tobias in the running game. However, Malone is smart and didn't play much high school football. He has a high ceiling and got tons of snaps last year. I'm hopeful that his run blocking will come along. Tobias gave us more of a physical surge in the running game.

I agree w/all of this. I thought our pass protection was solid last year and expect it to be good again. Our run blocking really struggled against teams that had a pulse. I'm putting much more emphasis on the importance of the run game b/c I believe it's much more crucial to our offensive success

Coach34
04-08-2013, 10:31 AM
That 1 is debatable no doubt. He has room to improve (which I state in the article) but last year we would not be able to run the ball at all and we insert Tobias and like magic, we can. He should make a jump but he has to show more, particularly in the running game

Tobias was definitely a better run-blocker. Shit, Tobias is an NFL talent in a juco body. His body just couldnt take the punishment OL players take. But he certainly has NFL level talent. Malone will get better in the run game just due to experience and getting stronger. I expect him to be alot like Clausell in his growth from R-Fr to Soph....Malone has great feet, has to get better with his hands

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I think we have a small uptick in the TE position ... Green had a decent year but for some reason I have always been sold on Johnson
either way , it's close

I'm very high on Malcolm as well Fish but we got 8 td rec out of him and Marcus combines last year. I think Malcolm is much more dangerous at TE but will he get more than our production last year is what I struggled with

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd like to think LaDarius could do even better in '13 with all of the O-line returning, surely they will improve in run blocking over last year. Although I guess we could see a dip in the passing game if we don't have guys who can step up and opposing defenses could put an extra man in the box, but at least the RB position as a whole should be better with Robinson & Milton as sophomores and more experiences line.

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
I think there is a lot of room for LP to do more in the passing game but I still can't figure out why we didn't see more screens and the such last year. Guess its a faith in play calling there. I think the other backs get some more reps and that could potentially keep him from a big improvement in rushing numbers. He had 1,024 last year

PendingTransaction
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Beastman, why do you think Morrow gets nod?

BeastMan
04-08-2013, 02:57 PM
He very well could but I think Carr is really good. I don't think they want to give Carr too much too early. If morrow plays to his potential he could be good, just a matter if if

mic
04-08-2013, 03:36 PM
I think we upgrade everywhere because everyone is back and esp at TE where we have 3 good looking targets
only at WR is there change. you have too look at it like this. Jury is out but would you rather going into the season:
Bump Smith and Clark
or
RoJo Morrow(maybe Chapelle) and Lewis.

I would def roll the dice and go with the guys we have this year.. Bigger fast and more physical..