PDA

View Full Version : In Baseball we only needed a. Few tweaks to

Drugdog
09-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Get going and winning which we did.
After reading the board I looks like we need MANY tweaks to win.
Hardly any agreement on players, schemes, or coaching.
Think about it.
Cohen we knew could coach, And pull the right strings.
Mullen- no one is saying this.

The more I read the more concerned I am.

State82
09-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Its very difficult, if not impossible, to compare the 2 sports and analyze them head-to-head. However, that being said, Cohen took a nuclear waste dump of a program and turned it around in year 3. He inherited a much larger pile of dung than Mullen, came in and went to work, knew exactly what he had to do and flipped the whole program in 3 years. And I mean the entire program - coaching staff, recruiting, player development, you name it. Mullen is in year 5 and you see what we have. And yes, I agree with you, the more I see, the more concerned I become.

MsStateBaseball
09-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Number 1: we are a baseball school, we can recruit a lot better player here than football. We are way down on the list in football. I don't care what anyone says. See the results. OM is a football school hence they get better players. They tought there past championships like we do for baseball and it works with recruits. From now on we will be ranked fairly high in baseball. We just can't get very good football to come here in numbers that takes to be a consistent winner.

Todd4State
09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Cohen is one of the top coaches in the country and at the time we hired him, many in the college baseball world considered him the top young coach in the game. He won a SEC Title at Kentucky. That would be like winning a SEC Title at Vanderbilt in football. There was never any doubt that he could coach- it was more whether or not some of our people would allow him to. Dan's resume- not so much.

But the other thing here is this- we spend money on assistants in baseball. As a result, we have Butch and we have Mingione who is actually a good recruiter. In football, we have Les and had Chris Wilson. Because again, we don't spend money.

Folks, whether you like Tyler or are on TeamDak or whatever- Tyler is a potential NFL type QB. We have an OC that has no idea how to use him. Let that sink in for a moment. That would be a lot like Cohen having a first round draft pick out of high school as a pitcher and not having any idea how to use him. Even Bobby Freaking Hall has been able to change offenses almost every year at Madison Central and has gotten production out of his offenses.