PDA

View Full Version : The "back-up QB is always better" chant of the Pro-Russell Clan

Coach34
09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
If we look back at MSU history- we have had some instances of the back-up QB indeed being better-

Relf > Tyson Lee
Lee > Carroll
Carroll > Henig
not gonna even start on Madkin vs Fant
Sleepy > Tony Shell
Don Smith ended up being better than Bond- but Bond as a Sr > Smith as a Fr

There is actually quite a bit of precedent for the back-up QB being the better option at State

Goat Holder
09-03-2013, 01:33 PM
Come on Coach.

Shell was a Sr. in 1990 over a So. Robinson. Shell wasn't that bad. This one's not true.

What about Russell > Relf in 2011? The cycle continues for f*cking ever. I would expect a lifelong State fan to know this.

Name ONE QB who went on top?

The answer is Tyson Lee (won the 2009 Egg Bowl) and Chris Relf (2011 Egg Bowl and Music City Bowl). And even then, both took criticism the entire f*cking time. Maybe that's the answer to the puzzle. Play both Russell and Prescott.

In my mind, Chris Relf should be remembered as one of the best MSU QBs of all time, and even then, fans were clamoring for Russell.

maroonmania
09-03-2013, 01:36 PM
It really boils down to production and the team. Seriously, when is the last time we had a really good team led by a SR QB? You probably have to go back to Rockey Felker days to find that. If we had beaten OSU Saturday or even looked good on offense in a loss there would be no discussion about the possibility of Dak taking over long term this week by anyone.

Goat Holder
09-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Agreed. You'd just think that over all these years, at least ONE guy would have the balls to stand up, be a pro about it, and make it happen. Just hasn't. Maybe it's recruiting. Cam situation is more ironic than we'll ever know.

Coach34
09-03-2013, 01:52 PM
Come on Coach.

Shell was a Sr. in 1990 over a So. Robinson. Shell wasn't that bad. This one's not true.

we would have been a better team in 1990 with Sleepy

Hypnodawg
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
2010 Relf > TR
2011 TR > Relf

I think Relf was playing scared or was injured in 2011. He was visibly not as good as he was in 2010.

TR has showed promise, but for whatever reason it has no emerged. TR has had the opportunities, he has blown them. If things aren't clicking by the start of your senior year, it's probably time to move on.

Goat Holder
09-03-2013, 02:03 PM
we would have been a better team in 1990 with Sleepy

I guess the closest thing to proof of this will be how Prescott performs on the Plains. I really, REALLY hope I'm here saying you were right on that Saturday night as I'm drunk, stumbling back to my hotel in Auburn, typing in half-English on my phone.

It does seem that running QBs historically do better at MSU. So one would wonder why we even try with pocket passers.

maroonmania
09-03-2013, 03:19 PM
I guess the closest thing to proof of this will be how Prescott performs on the Plains. I really, REALLY hope I'm here saying you were right on that Saturday night as I'm drunk, stumbling back to my hotel in Auburn, typing in half-English on my phone.

It does seem that running QBs historically do better at MSU. So one would wonder why we even try with pocket passers.

We never seem to be in sync at MSU. I mean what I wouldn't give to have any of John Bond, Don Smith, Sleepy Robinson, Omar Conner or to a lesser degree Wayne Madkin running Mullen's read option based Tebow-like offense. I will say though that there are normally many more of the dual threat QBs coming out of MS than pocket QBs. Russell is actually a MS rarity.