PDA

View Full Version : ESPN & Fidel Castro

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 01:21 AM
Castro dies tonight and ESPN is now running some kind of fluff piece on sports development under Fidel Castro.

This was a dictator. I am done with ESPN. Jesus..... this is unbelievable.

dawgoneyall
11-26-2016, 01:25 AM
Castro dies tonight and ESPN is now running some kind of fluff piece on sports development under Fidel Castro.

Democrats are saddened. They are in the majority.
ESPN should pander to the majority. (Regardless of how stupid they are.)

Statecoachingblows**
11-26-2016, 01:27 AM
Glad I wasn't the only one trying to figure out that segment

ETA:: good riddance

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 01:45 AM
People who are saddened by the death of Castro are extremists.

I find it funny that people are out in the streets protesting the election of a "tyrant" in Donald Trump, but they are mourning the loss of a true tyrant in Fidel Castro.

I'm with SCB. Good 17'ing Riddance.

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2016, 02:10 AM
People who are saddened by the death of Castro are extremists.

I find it funny that people are out in the streets protesting the election of a "tyrant" in Donald Trump, but they are mourning the loss of a true tyrant in Fidel Castro.

I'm with SCB. Good 17'ing Riddance.
Up is down. Left is right. Night is day.

Crazy ESPN is running a fluff piece on a man that made life such a living hell on his citizens that they were willing to risk death to get here by setting out on barrels and boards tied together.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2016, 02:13 AM
This is insane! Are we really living in the bizarro world? Praising Castro on ESPN geez! Next I guess they'll do a piece on how hitler advanced German athletics! Smh

JohnnyQuid
11-26-2016, 02:29 AM
I remember back when I watched ESPN other than live games. good times

dawgs
11-26-2016, 02:45 AM
I didn't watch ESPN today but I can't imagine it being the communist propaganda machine y'all are wigging out about

JohnnyQuid
11-26-2016, 02:50 AM
I didn't watch ESPN today but I can't imagine it being the communist propaganda machine y'all are wigging out about

I couldn't imagine them giving a courage award to a dude that wants/has cut his dick off either but it happened.

I didn't watch espn today either but nothing would suprise me with them at this point

dawgs
11-26-2016, 02:55 AM
I couldn't imagine them giving a courage award to a dude that wants/has cut his dick off either but it happened.

I didn't watch espn today either but nothing would suprise me with them at this point

IMO cutting your wiener off would take more courage than anything I've ever summoned, so far be it from me to downplay someone else's courage. Doesn't matter what the reason is.

JohnnyQuid
11-26-2016, 03:10 AM
IMO cutting your wiener off would take more courage than anything I've ever summoned, so far be it from me to downplay someone else's courage. Doesn't matter what the reason is.

we define courage differently

dawgs
11-26-2016, 03:17 AM
we define courage differently

On a scale to "whatever"' to "oh my god, you are coming to chop off my wiener and I'm gonna suffer through it because I believe in the cause", where do you define courage?

Apoplectic
11-26-2016, 03:40 AM
On a scale to "whatever"' to "oh my god, you are coming to chop off my wiener and I'm gonna suffer through it because I believe in the cause", where do you define courage?

I define it as battling cancer while refusing to quit playing sports because dammit I'm not living that way. Courage is not an attention whore in a dress making a mockery of all things normal.

TUSK
11-26-2016, 04:37 AM

somewhere, Boom, Sean Penn, Keith Olberman and Rachael Maddow gently weep.

Dawgface
11-26-2016, 07:30 AM
I define it as battling cancer while refusing to quit playing sports because dammit I'm not living that way. Courage is not an attention whore in a dress making a mockery of all things normal.

+1

TrapGame
11-26-2016, 07:45 AM
This disrespectful douche bag hardest hit.

https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/files/2016/11/0kaep1122.jpg&w=480

Bully13
11-26-2016, 08:06 AM
Castro has jailed, beaten , tortured and executed people whose only crime was voicing dissent against the communist regime. And it still goes on Today. And he allowed the ruskies to plant and aim nukes at our door step. But by all means let's have a sports circle jerk on how important he was to baseball.

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2016, 08:18 AM
somewhere, Boom, Sean Penn, Keith Olberman and Rachael Maddow are more inconsolable than the night Hillary lost.

FIFY

lastmajordog
11-26-2016, 08:20 AM
I wonder was it a UNM alum or worshiper that headed that wonderful piece of journalism.

msstate7
11-26-2016, 08:34 AM
FIFY

Haha... I'd say drunk is taking it harder than boom though

Dawg Tired
11-26-2016, 08:44 AM

Crazy ESPN is running a fluff piece on a man that made life such a living hell on his citizens that they were willing to risk death to get here by setting out on barrels and boards tied together.

This. Things have gone so crazy sometimes I think people do and say shit just to piss off the normal working people. That's the only explanation that make Castro and Che Guerrero American heros.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 09:18 AM

I am the same as you. I stopped watching other than live events a long time ago. I was watching last chance U on the computer and I just happened to see it on in the background. Here is the clip though. I really am embarrassed by ESPN for this.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18138428

shoeless joe
11-26-2016, 09:26 AM
No one should be surprised by this...no one

ESPN is garbage.

Jack Lambert
11-26-2016, 09:28 AM
Democrats are saddened. They are in the majority.
ESPN should pander to the majority. (Regardless of how stupid they are.)

Even if there are more democrats I would be willing to bet the majority of their coalition doesn't watch sports. See the republicans are alike thinking people where the Democrats are made up of different groups who the Dems pander too and each of these groups don't care about the other. It's a tricky proposition for the Democrats.

But I would suspect there are more Trump voters watching ESPN then Hillery's.

Dolphus Raymond
11-26-2016, 09:37 AM
While Castro was by no means perfect , the advances made in healthcare and education are undeniable. The lives of the average Cuban, particularly the poor, were greatly improved as a consequence of the Cuban Revolution. Turn this into a rant against the Left if you choose, but the Cuban Revolution kept its promise on healthcare and education. Democracy? Not so much, but we are going to inaugurate a president in January who lost the popular vote by over 2 million votes. Imagine the outrage from here if that occurred in say, Nicaragua.
Anyway, Castro was not exactly someone I would emulate, but the Cuban people gained more than they( other than Batista's cronies) lost because of him.

dawgoneyall
11-26-2016, 09:46 AM
While Castro was by no means perfect , the advances made in healthcare and education are undeniable. The lives of the average Cuban, particularly the poor, were greatly improved as a consequence of the Cuban Revolution. Turn this into a rant against the Left if you choose, but the Cuban Revolution kept its promise on healthcare and education. Democracy? Not so much, but we are going to inaugurate a president in January who lost the popular vote by over 2 million votes. Imagine the outrage from here if that occurred in say, Nicaragua.
Anyway, Castro was not exactly someone I would emulate, but the Cuban people gained more than they( other than Batista's cronies) lost because of him.

BS.

starkvegasdawg
11-26-2016, 09:55 AM

That why 1000's of them every year risk their life to come here? They got it so good they just can't stand to stay there?

Roy Munson
11-26-2016, 09:59 AM

Holy shit. Holy shit you people are nuts. Hey, the nazis gave us the moon, satellites, interstates and advanced civilization so they need to be applauded, right? Holy shit you bleeding hearts are absolutely nuts. As for your two million votes, you can keep your 3 million that were proven days after the election were voted by illegals. You knew the rules, they've been the same for 200 years.

Nobody's fault but your pompous elitist communist party that cheated to nominate their criminal and the worst possible candidate that couldn't beat a cartoon character. Oh the irony that your nominee cheated to win the nomination and now are claiming cheating on the other side. You liberals are sad, pathetic, do as I say not as I do little people. GFU

EngDawg
11-26-2016, 10:02 AM

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 10:07 AM

So are you heading to Havana for your next big surgery ?

No one knows what Cuba could have been like if the Castro's revolution would not have been successful. American industries were building a tourist empire in the the 1950s in Havana. It is feasible that it could be like Las Vegas or even more prosperous. Your argument is complete BS.

My mom had a student in the 90s who had defected from Cuba, and she told me a story about her renown education system. When she was in 3rd grade the teacher told the students to put their head down on their desk and pray to God for milk. The students did so, and the teacher then told them to raise their heads. When they raised their heads-no milk. Then the teacher told them to put their head on their desk and pray to Fidel Castro for milk. While the children's heads were down adults walked around the room and put milk on each child's desk. Those are the kind of advances that El Commadante had for the Cuban education system. Hell of a guy***

Dawg61
11-26-2016, 10:07 AM

I can't stand ESPN. They've even started to ruin all the 30 for 30's.

anubus
11-26-2016, 10:11 AM
Lots of partying and celebrating in Miami today.Fidel symbolized the word "Rebel"..... a delusional asshole.So in honor of the Cuban people let's whip the rebels asses today.

anubus
11-26-2016, 10:18 AM
Had a co worker who escaped Cuba tell me about their health care....they told his aunt she had cancer but no equipment or medicine.But if you were up in the communist party hierarchy things got done

anubus
11-26-2016, 10:19 AM
Lots of partying and celebrating in Miami today.Fidel was defines the word "Rebel"..... a delusional asshole.

EngDawg
11-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Lots of partying and celebrating in Miami today.Fidel was defines the word "Rebel"..... a delusional asshole.

ISWYDT

anubus
11-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Well said.Health care and Education was only for the communist elite.ESPN and the mindless liberals need to experience Cuba and North Korea then talk afterwards.

LC Dawg
11-26-2016, 11:25 AM

No

parabrave
11-26-2016, 11:30 AM
somewhere, Boom, Sean Penn, Keith Olberman and Rachael Maddow gently weep.

Add in Ted Turner. And the russian judge

Liverpooldawg
11-26-2016, 11:39 AM

Castro was a brutal tyrant on the level of Stalin and Hitler. He differed only in the fact that his stage was smaller. You should be ashamed of that post.

RocketDawg
11-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Wonder if Obama will attend the funeral. Or send a representative.

ckDOG
11-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Are you basing this on any discussions with a real person that lived under the regime or the propaganda distributed by the regime? The folks I've spoken with either have horrific experiences to share or won't talk about it period.

Percho
11-26-2016, 12:13 PM

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Dolphus Raymond
11-26-2016, 12:18 PM
Folks, when I read some of these comments I have to ask how much, if any, history from the Cold War era you have studied. "Castro has tortured, jailed and murderd dissenters" for decades. Chile, Guatamala, El Salvador, Argentena, among others, says hello. Good lord, Google Salvador Allende, Archbishop Oscar Romero, Salvadoran death squads, Guatemalan death squads, The Guatamalan coup on the behest of United Fruit Company, the 1956 elections to unite Vietnam that were canceled because HCM was going to get 80-90% of the vote.
My point is, I am not praising Castro but I am pointing out the reality that the lives of poor Cubans improved dramatically after Batista. That is not opinion but fact. The Bay of Pigs failed not just because of no air strikes but also because the CIA failed to measure the degree of support Castro and Guevara had from the average Cuban.
Please, study your history. Be objective and dig beyond what some academy coach that doubled as a history teacher "taught" in 1975. Castro was no saint but he paled in comparison to the dictators we propped-up during the Cold War.

Liverpooldawg
11-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Folks, when I read some of these comments I have to ask how much, if any, history from the Cold War era you have studied. "Castro has tortured, jailed and murderd dissenters" for decades. Chile, Guatamala, El Salvador, Argentena, among others, says hello. Good lord, Google Salvador Allende, Archbishop Oscar Romero, Salvadoran death squads, Guatemalan death squads, The Guatamalan coup on the behest of United Fruit Company, the 1956 elections to unite Vietnam that were canceled because HCM was going to get 80-90% of the vote.
My point is, I am not praising Castro but I am pointing out the reality that the lives of poor Cubans improved dramatically after Batista. That is not opinion but fact. The Bay of Pigs failed not just because of no air strikes but also because the CIA failed to measure the degree of support Castro and Guevara had from the average Cuban.
Please, study your history. Be objective and dig beyond what some academy coach that doubled as a history teacher "taught" in 1975. Castro was no saint but he paled in comparison to the dictators we propped-up during the Cold War.
Quit making excuses for a brutal dictator. Castro was every bit as bad as those you are trying to use to make him look good. Try to get beyond the leftist propaganda some professor fed you.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 12:48 PM

Here is a first hand account of Cuban hospitals from an Argentinian journalist.

https://panampost.com/belen-marty/2015/10/06/inside-the-cuban-hospitals-that-castro-doesnt-want-tourists-to-see/

Keep believing the propaganda.

Roy Munson
11-26-2016, 12:54 PM

The average Cuban wage is $25 a month. Some estimate that 54% make between $50-200. Boy, they have it so damn good. I just spent $150 on rotel, coors lite and steaks. I then gave $50 to the bell ringer outside.

You have no idea what Cuba would look like now had it been a democracy. It was a playground for the rich in the 50,s and would likely be a paradise today instead of a third work country. While the vast majority of the civilized world has seen unprecedented prosperity since the 50's, your socialist dictator has the elite and everyone else getting an average of $25 a month. You people are a disease.

dawgs
11-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Well said.Health care and Education was only for the communist elite.ESPN and the mindless liberals need to experience Cuba and North Korea then talk afterwards.

Yes, liberals want to be like Cuba and North Korea. Y'all would be flipping your shit if I generalized conservatives this way.

dawgs
11-26-2016, 01:15 PM
The average Cuban wage is $25 a month. Some estimate that 54% make between $50-200. Boy, they have it so damn good. I just spent $150 on rotel, coors lite and steaks. I then gave $50 to the bell ringer outside.

You have no idea what Cuba would look like now had it been a democracy. It was a playground for the rich in the 50,s and would likely be a paradise today instead of a third work country. While the vast majority of the civilized world has seen unprecedented prosperity since the 50's, your socialist dictator has the elite and everyone else getting an average of $25 a month. You people are a disease.

In all fairness the US trade embargo against Cuba probably had more to do with their lack of economic development than anything. But then again that requires a more grey area analysis of things beyond "USA good, Castro bad". plenty of terrible things Castro did, but we have our own hands dirty when it comes to screwing their economy.

Todd4State
11-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Castro has jailed, beaten , tortured and executed people whose only crime was voicing dissent against the communist regime. And it still goes on Today. And he allowed the ruskies to plant and aim nukes at our door step. But by all means let's have a sports circle jerk on how important he was to baseball.

If anything he hurt baseball by hording all of their best players for years and causing their players to have to deal with seedy agents to even get to MLB.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-26-2016, 01:25 PM
In all fairness the US trade embargo against Cuba probably had more to do with their lack of economic development than anything. But then again that requires a more grey area analysis of things beyond "USA good, Castro bad". plenty of terrible things Castro did, but we have our own hands dirty when it comes to screwing their economy.

Countries tend to not want to deal with other countries that point nuclear missiles at them. Also, it's not like the Cuban economy would be booming by trading their manufactured goods and natural resources with the US (You can grow bananas and roll cigars in other places, too).

"Yes, liberals want to be like Cuba and North Korea. Y'all would be flipping your shit if I generalized conservatives this way."

As for this gem of a statement... You don't have to generalize conservatives that way. The media, and celebrities have been doing it for you for the last 2 years. "Racist, Bigot, Tyrant, Misogynist, Xenophobe, etc". Sound familiar? We aren't flipping out though, just winning elections.

dawgs
11-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Countries tend to not want to deal with other countries that point nuclear missiles at them. Also, it's not like the Cuban economy would be booming by trading their manufactured goods and natural resources with the US (You can grow bananas and roll cigars in other places, too).

"Yes, liberals want to be like Cuba and North Korea. Y'all would be flipping your shit if I generalized conservatives this way."

As for this gem of a statement... You don't have to generalize conservatives that way. The media, and celebrities have been doing it for you for the last 2 years. "Racist, Bigot, Tyrant, Misogynist, Xenophobe, etc". Sound familiar? We aren't flipping out though, just winning elections.

Maybe you aren't, but clearly it's not a deal breaker for you.

DudyDawg
11-26-2016, 01:53 PM
CNN yet to confirm Castro's death. Still too close to call*

TUSK
11-26-2016, 02:03 PM
No

Royalty Payment, Please....

LC Dawg
11-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Royalty Payment, Please....
War Eagle

TUSK