PDA

View Full Version : Memphis replaced a 1st round QB and won 8 games

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Is Norvell that good or did Fuente just recruit that well and leave them loaded. Just interesting to see a team that is historically worse than us replace their best QB in program history.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-25-2016, 04:21 PM
Good point, but the last time I looked Memphis didn't play in the SEC West. Not saying that's the only criterion but it is a difference maker.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2016, 04:31 PM
I am just saying for all the people that say losing Dak was pretty much an automatic losing season that Memphis dealt with that along with losing their coach. Our coaching staff gets a D - for this season. The only reason it isn't a F is because of the A&M win which doesn't look as good as it did.

BeardoMSU
11-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Good point, but the last time I looked Memphis didn't play in the SEC West. Not saying that's the only criterion but it is a difference maker.

Not only that, but how well has their boy been doing in the league?

Our guy is setting the place ablaze, and is likely the front runner for MVP. Not making excuses for our current woes, but that type of leadership and skill are not easily replaced; certainly not immediately.

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2016, 04:52 PM
I am just saying for all the people that say losing Dak was pretty much an automatic losing season that Memphis dealt with that along with losing their coach. Our coaching staff gets a D - for this season. The only reason it isn't a F is because of the A&M win which doesn't look as good as it did.
Dak is 10-1.
The other 5 picked in front of him are 6-16 combined. I'd say we lost the quality QB, they lost an over hyped QB.

Dawgtini
11-25-2016, 05:19 PM
If only we had their oline coach **

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2016, 06:11 PM
Dak is 10-1.
The other 5 picked in front of him are 6-16 combined. I'd say we lost the quality QB, they lost an over hyped QB.

Not saying Dak isn't the better QB but I think Lynch mattered almost as much to Memphis as Dak did to us. Memphis also lost their coach and still won 8 games. I just thought it was interesting to compare since some people think that just losing Dak automatically caused us to have a losing season.

For the record, I want Dan back next year. I just think this is hands down the worst year we have had coaching in the Dan Mullen era. We obviously need to fix some things.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-25-2016, 10:53 PM
I just think this is hands down the worst year we have had coaching in the Dan Mullen era. We obviously need to fix some things.

This is the truth. I believe during the Cowboys-Skins game, Joe Buck mentioned that Dak told him (with some humor) that he was getting "soft" playing behind the Cowboy's OL as compared to the beating he took behind the OL at MSU. I suspect that Memphis is having their 2014-2015 era right now and will probably crash and burn in 2017. That's the problem with being a developmental school, you go through peaks and valleys and the valleys can be pretty damn deep. We rebuild, we don't reload.

Apoplectic
11-25-2016, 11:05 PM
apples and dog turds

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2016, 08:50 AM
This is the truth. I believe during the Cowboys-Skins game, Joe Buck mentioned that Dak told him (with some humor) that he was getting "soft" playing behind the Cowboy's OL as compared to the beating he took behind the OL at MSU. I suspect that Memphis is having their 2014-2015 era right now and will probably crash and burn in 2017. That's the problem with being a developmental school, you go through peaks and valleys and the valleys can be pretty damn deep. We rebuild, we don't reload.

Memphis is in their supposed valley right now. They not only lost the best QB they have had but also lost their coach. Their situation is exactly like ours only we kept our coach. Hopefully Dan gets shit straight for next year and makes whatever changes need to be made. We are going to be set for the next few years at QB so that is a big piece of the puzzle.

DogsofAnarchy
11-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Memphis is SO much better coached than MSU it isn't funny. They were playing with TONS of underclassmen also. The have a GREAT corner in Arthur Mallett who is going to be a 2nd round draft choice. He is VERY physical and knows how to play the ball in the air. He played at Co-Lin and when Co-Lin coaches notified our staff about him they were told that arthur wasn't good enough to play in the SEC. Ok then. Keep thinking we don't have a coaching problem. Y'all will get it sooner or later.

QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;657052]Is Norvell that good or did Fuente just recruit that well and leave them loaded. Just interesting to see a team that is historically worse than us replace their best QB in program history.[/QUOTE]

dawgday166
11-26-2016, 11:31 AM

The SEC W sucks this year. There's Bama and the rest. But we can all keep pounding our chests telling ourselves how great it is I guess.

To win 8 at MSU ... all we had to do was beat USCe & KY, all the OOC games, and 2 lousy teams in the W (pick them).

Tbonewannabe
11-26-2016, 01:22 PM
The SEC W sucks this year. There's Bama and the rest. But we can all keep pounding our chests telling ourselves how great it is I guess.

To win 8 at MSU ... all we had to do was beat USCe & KY, all the OOC games, and 2 lousy teams in the W (pick them).

Yes, 6 should have been a given and 8 should have been likely with the home games we had. For whatever reason Mullen really shit the bed this year. Every aspect of coaching sucked.