PDA

View Full Version : When Mullen does move on

msstate7
11-25-2016, 03:12 PM
I want to run Arkansas' offense. Love how they play power and use their big TEs

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 03:19 PM

Our offense is fine. Just needs better players. This is the best offensive scheme and structure we've had in the history of the program, so I don't understand why anyone would want to move on.

Mullen likely moves on after he rebuilds our team, which I think he'll do. However, sometimes when coaches are at a school for 10+ years, it's difficult for them to move on because the shine has worn off and shiny new toys like Herman get the big jobs whether they are actually better coaches or not. Experienced coaches are boring to most fans unless they are elite, because you know their faults and they lower the hope of hitting the lottery.

It's the same reason many people would rather play the lottery over investing in the stock market. Even though stocks are clearly better, the lottery offers more hope.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Our offense is fine. Just needs better players. This is the best offensive scheme and structure we've had in the history of the program, so I don't understand why anyone would want to move on.

Mullen likely moves on after he rebuilds our team, which I think he'll do. However, sometimes when coaches are at a school for 10+ years, it's difficult for them to move on because the shine has worn off and shiny new toys like Herman get the big jobs whether they are actually better coaches or not. Experienced coaches are boring to most fans unless they are elite, because you know their faults and they lower the hope of hitting the lottery.

It's the same reason many people would rather play the lottery over investing in the stock market. Even though stocks are clearly better, the lottery offers more hope.

Yeah, I wasn't saying fire Mullen or wanting Mullen to change. Once Mullen does move on though, I'd like to run Arkansas' style of offense. As teams build defenses more and more to stop the spread, Arkansas' style of offense will be really tough to stop.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I wasn't saying fire Mullen or wanting Mullen to change. Once Mullen does move on though, I'd like to run Arkansas' style of offense. As teams build defenses more and more to stop the spread, Arkansas' style of offense will be really tough to stop.

Your logic makes sense here, although I'm not certain we could recruit well enough on the OL to run that offense effectively.

Whatever way we go, developing QBs has to be the number 1 trait our new coach has. We can't out recruit Bama and LSU, but, if we are signifancntly better at QB, it gives us a shot.

Todd4State
11-25-2016, 03:35 PM
I LOVE Arkansas's offense. I'd like to be a multiple 4-3,3-4 defense if possible too- one that attacks a lot.

Todd4State
11-25-2016, 03:36 PM
Your logic makes sense here, although I'm not certain we could recruit well enough on the OL to run that offense effectively.

Whatever way we go, developing QBs has to be the number 1 trait our new coach has. We can't out recruit Bama and LSU, but, if we are signifancntly better at QB, it gives us a shot.

Jackie was able to recruit really good o-linemen here. I won't beat the dead horse as to why we have had trouble recently.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Jackie was able to recruit really good o-linemen here. I won't beat the dead horse as to why we have had trouble recently.

I know it's strange. I think the JUCO circuit in MS was better then and that allowed Jackie to have more success. Although, ask Fant how well Jackie recruited on the line.

I know this, the state of Mississippi produces fewer quality OL than just about any other position and it's my belief that every school's optimal offensive scheme is the one that the local recruiting area produces the most players that can effectively fit in it.

I don't believe all teams can score points or win the same way. I think the right combination is the combination that is uniquely yours and allows the strengths of your area to shine through.

That IMO is one things that's so Disappointing about our defense. Local area produces good defensive players and that should be our strength. I get why Texas Tech can't play defense. Makes total sense with their recruiting area. Not sure why we can't.

I_Spy
11-25-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm ok with ms state football, I believe Dak and the billboards have made it (the players obviously) have made me state respectable. All you read in NFL is about Dak and ms state is mentioned all over. The offense we have scores high they can only get better if we have a good o-line. The D, I know we have the talent there. I do believe we will always be better than OM all around. Alabama is the only team we do but don't play competitively or always in a hole. I know recruiting is most people's issue but we have lots of guys being successful.

Or in a truth, I have never heard more about MS State football than now, nationally. In print on telecast. OM isn't mentioned whomever Dallas plays. Dallas could play Arizona, no OM gonna be mentioned. Washington redskins two state players mentioned.

Growth football program

IMissJack
11-25-2016, 04:23 PM

I like old school also, but since Mullen got here, our offense is much better than it ever was when we tried to road grade people with a big O Line. The O is not the problem. Not to say that I wish we could run more power stuff when we have to, but currently don't have the line for it.

1bigdawg
11-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Mississippi has had lots of great Offensive linemen. I know that at least two years of the last twenty, four of the five first team all-SEC linemen were from Mississippi (unfortunately on four different teams). Some other years, there were three. Our State produces plenty, the problem has been in identifying and recruiting them. (I wish there was a "dead horse" emoji.)

lamont
11-25-2016, 05:01 PM
I wish we would keep our offense but recruit on the OL like they do. Us going to their offense with our OL currently would be like watching a Croom team

HoopsDawg
11-25-2016, 05:11 PM
I wish we would keep our offense but recruit on the OL like they do. Us going to their offense with our OL currently would be like watching a Croom team

Our offense is basically the Cowboys offense. They just happen to have a great oline and TE. I do wish we would bring back the HBack that Mullen used his first 2 years and then inexplicably went away from. But yeah, ******* offense with a better oline would be unstoppable.

RocketDawg
11-25-2016, 05:19 PM

You still want that? Missouri, of all teams, just went ahead in the game. I like our current offense pretty well, with a little tuning. We just need some sort of defense.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 05:32 PM
You still want that? Missouri, of all teams, just went ahead in the game. I like our current offense pretty well, with a little tuning. We just need some sort of defense.

Again... I don't want to can Mullen or force Mullen to go to Arkansas' offense. I like it though and would like to go to a more power style after Mullen leaves. The offense rhule runs at temple is another offense I like

RougeDawg
11-25-2016, 06:53 PM
When he finally moves on it will only be physically. He's been mentally checked out for 2.5 years. Unless he regains his want to be our coach we better Enjoy this shit for years to come.

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 07:48 PM

PLEASE PIN THIS................. STATE WILL NEVER HAVE THE TALENT TO RUN AN I FORMATION OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

msstate7
11-25-2016, 08:02 PM
PLEASE PIN THIS................. STATE WILL NEVER HAVE THE TALENT TO RUN AN I FORMATION OFFENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe not, but I dreamed that we got to the sec championship and won 10 games the next year running an I formation.

I know... I know... the sec is better now. The sec's decline has already started imo... no conference stays on top forever

BrunswickDawg
11-25-2016, 08:09 PM
Maybe not, but I dreamed that we got to the sec championship and won 10 games the next year running an I formation.

I know... I know... the sec is better now. The sec's decline has already started imo... no conference stays on top forever
I miss the old smash mouth 3 yards and a cloud of dust offenses and slobber knocker defenses. But, that game doesn't exist anymore. Even Bama has had to move away from the pro style offenses.

And you are right about starting to see the decline of the SEC. I don't see it as a bad thing - as long as the playing field becomes more even (I'm looking at you Bama). The late 90s were a fun time because on any given weekend, anyone could win. Made things so much more interesting.

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 08:16 PM

It has nothing to do with that.

The I was man on man, brute strength, and size.

State will never recruit good enough to match Ala., Fla., Tenn., Ga., Ark., LSU, T A&M, Aub., going strength on strength.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 08:20 PM
State will never recruit good enough to match Ala., Fla., Tenn., Ga., Ark., LSU, T A&M, Aub., going strength on strength.

But we have in modern history

msstate7
11-25-2016, 08:28 PM
There's a misconception about the 2 offenses that I mentioned...

Temple -- run 59.8%, pass 40.2%

Arkansas -- run 56.5%, pass 43.5%

They both use their TEs and RBs a lot in the passing game, which is a little different than most offenses today. Ark #3 nationally in TOP and temple is #5.

For reference...

State -- run 55.2%, pass 44.8%

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 08:45 PM
But we have in modern history

When everybody else ran it.

Good God, I ain't rehashing the same shit I was right about watching Croom's dumbass try to run it in a modern age, WHEN EVERYBODY ELSE TOLD ME THE SPREAD WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!.( UNTOLD SCHOOL RECORDS LATER RUNNING THE SPREAD)

IT WON'T F'ING WORK!!!!!!!

msstate7
11-25-2016, 08:48 PM
When everybody else ran it.

Good God, I ain't rehashing the same shit I was right about watching Croom's dumbass try to run it in a modern age, WHEN EVERYBODY ELSE TOLD ME THE SPREAD WOULD MAKE NO DIFFERENCE!!!!!.( UNTOLD SCHOOL RECORDS LATER RUNNING THE SPREAD)

IT WON'T F'ING WORK!!!!!!!

Croom couldn't do it so it can't be done... good argument. BTW, Arkansas #3 in sec in passing offense.

And good grief, calm down...

Todd4State
11-25-2016, 08:51 PM
I think we ?can? do it. It just seems like we never can get all the pieces together no matter what we seem to do. If we recruit and develop QB?s and skill guys like Dan and recruit and develop o-linemen like Jackie we could do it. With Jackie we had good defenses some of the time and good special teams but our offense usually struggled and I got tired of hearing about how all the other team had to do to stop us was ?put nine in the box and force them to throw it? insinuating that we couldn?t do it.

With Dan we?ve had good offenses but now the defense is spotty at best and our special teams is often times an adventure. Dan is almost the exact opposite of Jackie as far as what we are strong at, which is weird. Right down to rumors of Jackie meddling with the offense.

Can we not find a coach that can put all three components together and recruit well? It?s like we?re damned to have either/or but not both. Honestly I?d say 2010 or 2014 was the closest I?ve ever seen us to having all three phases together. Maybe 1980 but I wasn?t even in preschool then.

Actually if we recruited and developed skill guys like Dan and offensive linemen like Jackie we could pretty much run whatever we wanted. Which is good in that we have the potential to do that.

lamont
11-25-2016, 08:54 PM
LSU cant line up in the I and run over people anymore. No way we should even remotely try it.

We actually should consider a move to the Ga Tech triple option mode of offense and TOP before any of that. We cant recruit as well as top half of the SEC- so do something they dont see often. Make them have to work hard to defense you- dont do the SOS everybody else does they see every week

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 08:58 PM
Croom couldn't do it so it can't be done... good argument. BTW, Arkansas #3 in sec in passing offense.

And good grief, calm down...

I'm calm, let's agree to disagree, you want the Croom, Jackie, Felker offense, I want the Mullen offense.

I'll take the school records and good QB play.

You can have the rest

msstate7
11-25-2016, 08:59 PM
LSU cant line up in the I and run over people anymore. No way we should even remotely try it.

We actually should consider a move to the Ga Tech triple option mode of offense and TOP before any of that. We cant recruit as well as top half of the SEC- so do something they dont see often. Make them have to work hard to defense you- dont do the SOS everybody else does they see every week

Arkansas runs to set up the pass and to get TOP. They rank 10th in the sec in rush/yds game and 3rd in the sec in passing yds/game. Their play action game is deadly. They run a lot, but they're really not much like us in the late 90s. Big TEs are extremely difficult matchups for college defenses

msstate7
11-25-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm calm, let's agree to disagree, you want the Croom, Jackie, Felker offense, I want the Mullen offense.

I'll take the school records and good QB play.

You can have the rest

Again... after Mullen leaves. I'm not advocating to replace Mullen.

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 09:08 PM
Again... after Mullen leaves. I'm not advocating to replace Mullen.

And if Mullen leaves, and we get in the I and try to run Inside zone, power, counter, and lead, and the bootlegs off it, like you want to against 85% of the SEC, you will be the bitchingest poster here. Because we will suck.

Actually, I will be the bitchingest, because I would have known what would have happened.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 09:11 PM
And if Mullen leaves, and we get in the I and try to run Inside zone, power, counter, and lead, and the bootlegs off it, like you want to against 85% of the SEC, you will be the bitchingest poster here. Because we will suck.

No use arguing, you're the self-proclaimed never wrong poster. Can't believe how bad that boat racing vandy received last week was...

Spiderman
11-25-2016, 09:35 PM
No use arguing, you're the self-proclaimed never wrong poster. Can't believe how bad that boat racing vandy received last week was...

I was as wrong as Vegas.

I'll buy you lunch, sit down with you with a grease board, and talk football X's and O's all day.

Maybe you can show me something.

Les F'ing Miles got fired proving my point.

preachermatt83
11-25-2016, 09:41 PM
In defense of the OP , the offense that Arky is running now is not close to what Bert ran his first couple of years there. And it's certainly not the same offense Croom ran. Jackie either.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 09:46 PM
In defense of the OP , the offense that Arky is running now is not close to what Bert ran his first couple of years there. And it's certainly not the same offense Croom ran. Jackie either.

Forget it... all anyone thinks when they hear Arkansas is 3 yard runs and it's no where near the truth. Arkansas is 3rd in the sec in passing offense this year after finishing 3rd in passing offense last season.

msstate7
11-25-2016, 09:51 PM
I was as wrong as Vegas.

To be fair, I thought om would win too.

preachermatt83
11-25-2016, 09:54 PM
Forget it... all anyone thinks when they hear Arkansas is 3 yard runs and it's no where near the truth. Arkansas is 3rd in the sec in passing offense this year after finishing 3rd in passing offense last season.

Breaking in a new QB too

Jarius
11-25-2016, 09:56 PM
Anyone that wants state to run The offense that Arkansas runs wants state to be a perennial 6-6 or worse team. That's a horrible idea.