PDA

View Full Version : Houston vs Memphis

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 01:21 PM
So after giving up 24 points to Memphis in the first 17 minutes of the game, do you guys still want Herman over Jimbo Fisher? Is Orlando still the answer to our defensive problems?

LOL. I just laugh at some of you guy's thought processes. Herman over Jimbo? Really? Why?

Amazing how people gravitate towards the new, unproven, shiny toy instead of sticking with what works, is proven, & reliable. Not just with coaches but in life. They take the unknown over substance.

I really hope that the people on this board that said they would take Herman over Jimbo have absolutely no money or influence in the athletic department of Mississippi State U.

It has nothing to do with the outcome of whether Herman will be better than Jimbo or vice versa, it has to do with the thought process that was utilized to come to that decision.

sack07
11-25-2016, 01:29 PM
So after giving up 24 points to Memphis in the first 17 minutes of the game, do you guys still want Herman over Jimbo Fisher? Is Orlando still the answer to our defensive problems?

LOL. I just laugh at some of you guy's thought processes. Herman over Jimbo? Really? Why?

Amazing how people gravitate towards the new, unproven, shiny toy instead of sticking with what works, is proven, & reliable. Not just with coaches but in life. They take the unknown over substance.

I really hope that the people on this board that said they would take Herman over Jimbo have absolutely no money or influence in the athletic department of Mississippi State U.

It has nothing to do with the outcome of whether Herman will be better than Jimbo or vice versa, it has to do with the thought process that was utilized to come to that decision.

Says the poster making judgements after 17 minutes of one football game. SMH

BayouDawg
11-25-2016, 01:31 PM
You could also look at it this way. Jimbo coaches in a shit conference. Gets elite talent year in and year out. Has a soft ass schedule. Has made it to one championship game (and won) but let's not act like he's on Saban's level just yet.
But I agree with your point that he is more proven than Herman. But I don't think it's a slam dunk no brainer to take Jimbo over Herman either.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 01:33 PM
Says the poster making judgements after 17 minutes of one football game. SMH

I'm by no means making judgements. I have no clue if Tom Herman will make a great Power 5 head coach or if Orlando would make a great power 5 DC. I know Jimbo Fisher makes a great power 5 head coach though.

I'm not knocking Herman or Orlando. I'm just simply pointing out that the process the led to posters on here saying they would take Herman over Fisher, is extremely flawed. Not evidence

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 01:34 PM
You could also look at it this way. Jimbo coaches in a shit conference. Gets elite talent year in and year out. Has a soft ass schedule. Has made it to one championship game (and won) but let's not act like he's on Saban's level just yet.
But I agree with your point that he is more proven than Herman. But I don't think it's a slam dunk no brainer to take Jimbo over Herman either.

Nothing is a slam dunk. Just saying it's boaderline to ridiculous, with the known evidence, to think Herman is a better coach than Fisher

BayouDawg
11-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Nothing is a slam dunk. Just saying it's boaderline to ridiculous, with the known evidence, to think Herman is a better coach than Fisher

It depends on what you want. With Jimbo you're gonna be trying to beat Bama at their own game. With Herman you're gonna bring in a spread option offense that has been known to give Saban problems when implemented correctly (looking at you Mullen). So you also have to think about the philosophy you are looking for and whether or not it will fit.

Really Clark?
11-25-2016, 01:40 PM
I agree on Herman, 2 years is a small sample. But Orlando has a much longer track record of very good defenses. He is ready for the next step and probably the best resume of non P5 D1 schools

Thick
11-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Not sure what you are trying to say. The comparison would be SOMEWHAT justified if Herman was already coaching at LSU or Texas, but he's not. He's at Houston with not quite the budget or talent level that Jimbo has at FSU. If I'm not mistaken didn't Louisville drag FSU, while Houston beat Louisville and Oklahoma?. Now Houston has some headscratching losses as well, and might lose to Memphis too. Jimbo has kind of underachieved at FSU in my opinion.

missouridawg
11-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Not sure what you are trying to say. The comparison would be SOMEWHAT justified if Herman was already coaching at LSU or Texas, but he's not. He's at Houston with not quite the budget or talent level that Jimbo has at FSU. If I'm not mistaken didn't Louisville drag FSU, while Houston beat Louisville and Oklahoma?. Now Houston has some headscratching losses as well, and might lose to Memphis too. Jimbo has kind of underachieved at FSU in my opinion.

Won a natty and made the playoff... and he has underachieved? Wow.

Thick
11-25-2016, 01:50 PM
I'm saying what he's done with all of the resources he has at FSU. FSU should be in play every year for top 4 in the country, but they are not by season's end. What Jimbo has done in the ACC won't add up in the SEC West.

wmccgc
11-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Interesting to think Herman was Urban's OC, and has become the hottest thing going based on that and what he's done at UH. The similarities of Herman and Mullen are kinda interesting.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 01:54 PM
I'm saying what he's done with all of the resources he has at FSU. FSU should be in play every year for top 4 in the country, but they are not by season's end. What Jimbo has done in the ACC won't add up in the SEC West.

So, you'd rather have Herman over a national championship caliber coach because that coach has no margin for error?

Jimbo is the next closest thing in the country to an elite coach after Meyer, Saban, & Harbaugh, but you'd think there is an argument that you'd rather have Herman?

Let me ask this, would LSU or Texas fans be happy if they hired Herman & he turned into Fisher? My guess is ABSOLUTELY. So why not just hire Fisher?

Political Hack
11-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Jimbo wants $6.5 million. LSU just filed bankruptcy. Herman will come for less than that.

It's an easy choice.

Thick
11-25-2016, 02:12 PM
Margin of error? What AD hires any coach with a margin of error involved in the decision? LSU does not care one bit about experience. They are wanting a coach to get them back to ATL and in the top 4. It's apparent that regardless of what any of us think here, they feel if Jimbo's not interested then they want Herman. They have approached Jimbo twice about their job, so he was their plan A. I have no idea what coach YOU think is available other then young HCs.

So with that being said, if Dan left, who would you approach to fill the vacancy?

DownwardDawg
11-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Herman is a huge unknown. He lost to SMU for Gods sake!!!!

Cooterpoot
11-25-2016, 02:42 PM
Pretty sure Memphis has punted.

ILOATHEBears
11-25-2016, 02:59 PM

Could be a coach that knows tomorrow he will be a head coach somewhere else and really isn't engaged today

LC Dawg
11-25-2016, 03:39 PM
I don't know much about Herman but I know he has some big wins coupled with some bad losses. That sounds similar to a coach to the north of us. Is there anything gimmicky about Herman's offense?

Cooterpoot
11-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Well.......Houston is up now. Only given up 7 in 2nd half.

Cooterpoot
11-25-2016, 03:54 PM
And they piss it away...

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 04:04 PM
At very least Herman cost himself some money today, as its less likely that Texas and LSU will engage in a total bidding war against each other for his services. I can assure you Orgeron and Strong are looking better right now.

Tbonewannabe
11-25-2016, 04:08 PM
I think this is just more proof that a coach that is looking at other jobs can bring distractions that can cost the team.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 04:25 PM
I think this is just more proof that a coach that is looking at other jobs can bring distractions that can cost the team.

Completely agree. It's one of the terrible things about college football. Not fair to the players or Houston fans. Really wish college football wasn't all about recruiting which causes this.

It's like the college football structure and calendar was designed without the expectation that the sport would ever become a big deal nationally

Cloak
11-25-2016, 04:28 PM

This

Bass Chaser
11-25-2016, 08:02 PM
IMO you have to compare Miles and Jimbo. Based on Jimbo's track record, does he do any better than Miles?

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2016, 08:11 PM
IMO you have to compare Miles and Jimbo. Based on Jimbo's track record, does he do any better than Miles?

Jimbo is an infinitely better offensive mind and QB developer than Miles. Recruiting wise, they are about equal.

If Jimbo took over LSU, you'd consistenly see an LSU team that was closer to the Matt Flynn, Jamarcus Russell, and Rohan Davey days than what you've seen lately.