PDA

View Full Version : Perception of TR being great could have been influenced by BAD opponents...

RougeDawg
09-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Last year. If you look at his numbers, he showed out against inept and lesser talented teams, that could hardly muster up a pass rush. His stats were elevated against these shitty teams, thus everyone thought he was the savior that MSU thought they signed a few years back. Then you have the last 5 games of the season, he looked like a true freshman, with the deer in the headlights look, when any defense got the slightest hint of pressure on him.

Were most of our fans and media people misled on TR's ability to take this team to the next step, Because he played very well against some terrible teams? That's the way I see it. I've been calling for more Dak PT since I saw him play his first snap last year. I had numerous State people saying "How can you want to bench the best QB in MSU history?" type shit. Not making an "I told ya so statement" but I have not I have not been impressed with TR from beginning. I wish Ralph had one more year to play. He made our offense work because he was a threat to run. That's the only way we can win. Or we can start signing some Aaron Murray's, but even he was a dual threat out of high school.

codeDawg
09-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm of the opinion that TR simply has not had the receivers he needs to be successful. I think his success against lesser teams is more a result of our receivers have more success against those teams. Couple that with an offensive scheme that does not fit his skill set, and you have what we have.

Tbonewannabe
09-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Tyler Russell doesn't lead receivers. He doesn't throw to the spot the receiver will be so they can catch and run. That forces us to dink and dunk which never stretches the field. It doesn't take a defense long to figure out he doesn't throw a pass longer than 15 yards.

SheltonChoked
09-03-2013, 12:19 PM
I've given up on Tyler. He does not have the confidence in his recievers, or their routes to pass the ball effectively. It's not his arm. It's his head. It may have been practicing against Banks and Slay all the time that he doesn't trust the routes. I don't know. He never throws the ball to a spot the reciever will be in. He waits until they break open and throws it. That leads to watching the reciever "break open". It works when you have a mismatch and he can see it pre snap, but not against better teams.

But if he cannot throw, he cannot play. Right now he reminds me of Lindgren. Does fine until something bad happens, then it's all over.

FlabLoser
09-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Tyler has now had as many good games as bad ones. The common thread in the bad games is him getting hit.

I have concluded that his is a talented passer who is easily rattled. We need to move on from that if possible.

angusyoung
09-03-2013, 02:06 PM
He can't throw his man open. That's his biggest problem.

HancockCountyDog
09-03-2013, 02:13 PM
He can't throw his man open. That's his biggest problem.

I think a bigger problem is that his man can't get open. We have so few guys that can get separation on their own, its pitiful. We need an influx of talent at WR in the worst way.

Nicky Santoro
09-03-2013, 02:18 PM
TR is an NFL QB. Problem is our line can't protect him and our WRs just aren't good - yet. Count me as one who is nervous about Dak as a QB/game manager. He's not as big as Ralph and he is not as good of a passer.

The problem here lies with a head coach and an offensive staff unwilling or unable to adapt. I'm not sure we can get the train back on the tracks.

SheltonChoked
09-03-2013, 02:22 PM
No Russel is in no means an NFL QB. He has an NFL arm, can make all the throws, but does not know where to throw it.

We have the guys to get open, and we have, but if you see them get open against good teams, it's too late to throw it to them. The ball has to be there when they get open, not after you see it. That's what Russel cannot do. And if he has cannot do it now, he never will. It's not a coaching thing, it's just how fast him mind works. Some people are not fast thinkers.

HancockCountyDog
09-03-2013, 02:28 PM
TR is an NFL QB. Problem is our line can't protect him and our WRs just aren't good - yet. Count me as one who is nervous about Dak as a QB/game manager. He's not as big as Ralph and he is not as good of a passer.

The problem here lies with a head coach and an offensive staff unwilling or unable to adapt. I'm not sure we can get the train back on the tracks.

My concern is an offseason and August running the Russell offense and now we have two weeks to install the Relf offense. It shouldn't be a huge problem, but anyone that has played will tell you, that the more you practice a play, the better you get at it.

What worries me is Russell being healthy for AU and we try and halve the practice time running the Russell offense.

angusyoung
09-03-2013, 02:32 PM
I think a bigger problem is that his man can't get open. We have so few guys that can get separation on their own, its pitiful. We need an influx of talent at WR in the worst way.

Not true at all man. WRs are open all over the field but a QB has to have the ability to put the ball in the window where they come open as they make cuts. It's the reason they run routes instead of "ok everyone go out"

Original48
09-03-2013, 02:46 PM
Not true at all man. WRs are open all over the field but a QB has to have the ability to put the ball in the window where they come open as they make cuts. It's the reason they run routes instead of "ok everyone go out"
Case and point Tyler stares at Ladarius in the flat and throws to him even though he's double coverd resulting in an INT. We had a wide open receiver on a hitch (that one defender ran right by on his way to cover Ladarius) and another receiver wide open up the seem on that same side. By the way..he didn't need a window to hit either of those two receivers. He just needed to go through progressions rather than lock in on one receiver.

Coach34
09-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Case and point Tyler stares at Ladarius in the flat and throws to him even though he's double coverd resulting in an INT. We had a wide open receiver on a hitch (that one defender ran right by on his way to cover Ladarius) and another receiver wide open up the seem on that same side. By the way..he didn't need a window to hit either of those two receivers. He just needed to go through progressions rather than lock in on one receiver.

This all day long

Coach34
09-03-2013, 03:16 PM
TR is an NFL QB. Problem is our line can't protect him and our WRs just aren't good - yet. Count me as one who is nervous about Dak as a QB/game manager. He's not as big as Ralph and he is not as good of a passer. .

I disagree on 2 things you said there:

1. Russell is not an NFL QB. I see him getting signed as a FA and never making a roster.
2. Dakota is not as good of a passer as Ralph?????????? Ho-leeeeee-shit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_yQ02xwsM