PDA

View Full Version : This is a winnable game

GTHOM
11-24-2016, 03:13 PM
Matter of fact this game is beyond winnable. OM is ripe for the picking. Their offense is not as good as Arkys. They are going to score because we are so bad and our DBs and scheme are so terrible but they are extremely one dimensional. They are struggling to run the ball and pass protect. Their defense is not very good and they are not very well coached. Ask them. Our offense could have a field day. Haynes does concern me he is a hell of a player. If we stay out of 3rd and long and run the ball we should win the thing. If we can run it keep the sheavior on the sideline and PRESSURE him when hes out there, we will be okay.

WSOPdawg
11-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Agree 100%. A month ago, I couldn't say that, but today with all of their injuries combined with the growth we've seen from Fitz and the incorporation of Aries into the gameplay, we definitely can win this one. Especially if we happen to show up and play the way we did against aTm. I think we could see one of our better games of the season in terms of execution on both sides of the ball.

gravedigger
11-24-2016, 04:24 PM
My take: Om's worst defensive performances happen in conjunction with being faced with a good running attack that keeps an extra tight end, running back, or both back to block and that they run north and south. When the ball moves on the ground east to west OM is very good at running down the football.

We can win. But we wont win passing on 1st and 3rd down. We wont win unless Fitz is given some easy throws to start and then gouge them with qb runs. If he's trying to throw long early, or we are running jet sweeps with our 'spread' running game, we will get murdered.

Our defense just needs to contain their qb. If we try to bring the house, he'll burn us just like manzell did. We MUST force them to run between the tackles or we could be in for a 2008 type beating.

BoomBoom
11-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Matter of fact this game is beyond winnable. OM is ripe for the picking. Their offense is not as good as Arkys. They are going to score because we are so bad and our DBs and scheme are so terrible but they are extremely one dimensional. They are struggling to run the ball and pass protect. Their defense is not very good and they are not very well coached. Ask them. Our offense could have a field day. Haynes does concern me he is a hell of a player. If we stay out of 3rd and long and run the ball we should win the thing. If we can run it keep the sheavior on the sideline and PRESSURE him when hes out there, we will be okay.

So basically we should gameplan to their strengths and weaknesses. Problem is Mullen has NEVER done that in his career. Mullen gonna Mullen.

gravedigger
11-24-2016, 06:48 PM
So basically we should gameplan to their strengths and weaknesses. Problem is Mullen has NEVER done that in his career. Mullen gonna Mullen.

AMEN. Bama 2014. Bama's run defense was one of the best ever and their pass defense was more suspect than usual (but still pretty good). We ran into the teeth of that for 2 1/2 quarters until we realized we could throw but never could catch up.

Om 2014......qb had no mobility and no downfield arm, but we decided to stay with the bend don't break crap instead of bringing the house and playing tight man to man. We may have still lost, but we didn't attack a weakness in Bo's injury

I swear if mullen would just take a bit more time to study the opponents tendencies and FORCE them to do what they don't want and maybe more importantly do not try to FORCE ourselves into another team's strengths, better results would happen.

Last year I stated over and over....if your offensive line is not a strength, then stop asking it to protect your qb for 3 checkdowns. Yea, I know, Dak wasn't going to run, but we could have anticipated how Bama and OM were going to defend us and get rid of the ball more efficiently rather than eating the football as much as we did.

preachermatt83
11-24-2016, 07:07 PM
My take: Om's worst defensive performances happen in conjunction with being faced with a good running attack that keeps an extra tight end, running back, or both back to block and that they run north and south. When the ball moves on the ground east to west OM is very good at running down the football.

We can win. But we wont win passing on 1st and 3rd down. We wont win unless Fitz is given some easy throws to start and then gouge them with qb runs. If he's trying to throw long early, or we are running jet sweeps with our 'spread' running game, we will get murdered.

Our defense just needs to contain their qb. If we try to bring the house, he'll burn us just like manzell did. We MUST force them to run between the tackles or we could be in for a 2008 type beating.

I couldn't agree more. Great post. Nailed it.

Mutt the Hoople
11-24-2016, 11:00 PM
I swear if mullen would just take a bit more time to study the opponents tendencies and FORCE them to do what they don't want and maybe more importantly do not try to FORCE ourselves into another team's strengths, better results would happen.

When does he have time to study opposing defenses, when he's letting his players leave for Thanksgiving and staying on the phone with his agent trying to get that Boston College gig.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2016, 11:27 PM

I agree with all but containing the QB. There is no way our DBs can cover if he has time to sit in the pocket. I think we have to throw the kitchen sink at him. He will burn us some for sure, but that 's the only way I can see us getting a few stops. That's what it has to be about, getting just a few stops. It goes without saying if they shut us down we are toast. It's going to take at least 45 to beat them.

Maroonthirteen
11-25-2016, 05:08 AM
Y'all help me feel better about this game...

1. Our defense has been terrible the last 3 games.
2. Womack has shut us down the past 2 Eggs.
3. Vs common opponents, they have faired much better.

Joe Schmedlap
11-25-2016, 07:47 AM
USA, BYU, UK, and yes, even Arkansas were winnable games. The dogs lost every damn one of them.

gravedigger
11-25-2016, 09:26 AM

1. Sorry its a fact. But they are not a running team so we can throw an extra db on the field to help.

2. Womak shut us down with much better defenses

3. Transitive associations do not matter in egg bowls. See arkansas for last 2 years.

klong-dog
11-25-2016, 09:30 AM
USA, BYU, UK, and yes, even Arkansas were winnable games. The dogs lost every damn one of them.

Bingo. Nailed it.

civildawg
11-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Was about the post the same thing

bulldawg28
11-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Play zone and make the youngster overthink himself. The dude turns every play into a scramble drill. Make him stay in the pocket and pass. Our DL is built to collapse their pocket. He wants to run. He really thinks he's Johnny Manziel

GTHOM
11-25-2016, 12:49 PM

Who did they beat that we havent? Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Bama, all beat them. They gave up 38 points and over 500 yards to Vandy. We dont have anything to brag about either but still. They arent very good. They all ran it on them and they all got pressure on the QB. They beat A&M but had to come back to do it. If Mullen cant beat Wommack this year hes a hardheaded dumbass because everyone else has. I think its on Mullen just like it has been the last 2

I_Spy
11-25-2016, 03:52 PM
I'm gonna say state will get this one. The offense is doing its thing and the defense is due a good game.

If vandy can score (set records) against OM, then we should tear Oxford up.

I_Spy
11-25-2016, 03:56 PM
even if Rebs muster up 28 pts we should out score them - statistically

Bet on state.

I think vandy did a good job of containing engram ... Hard pressed to find 1st downs if that's the case, watch the down the line pass and I haven't seen OM do anything else. Don't let Shea run.