PDA

View Full Version : Jimbo To LSU?

EngDawg
11-23-2016, 09:09 PM
Poster on SPS saying this. Anybody else hearing anything?

TheRef
11-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Reports coming out that say LSU has given Jimbo a "fairly substantial" offer.

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/lsu-football/report-lsu-has-given-jimbo-fisher-an-extremely-substantial-offer/67148755/

Todd4State
11-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Plan A for them is Jimbo Fisher

Plan B is Orgeron is pretty much what it comes down to.

They want Fisher and he's their first choice but it's a matter of if he will take their offer.

BrunswickDawg
11-23-2016, 09:51 PM
Seminole fans will be all

https://media.tenor.co/images/a5f2d03f2730317dff02bdfa76a89556/raw

Cooterpoot
11-23-2016, 09:56 PM
Its true. Plan B is Fedora or McCarthy.

starkvegasdawg
11-23-2016, 09:57 PM
If they do that Cohen better be in front of ogre waving a couple million to be D.C.

BHildreth3
11-23-2016, 10:00 PM
Why do you think O will be a solid DC?

Cooterpoot
11-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Hell no on Oregon as DC. I've got as much experience running a defense.

missouridawg
11-23-2016, 10:10 PM

This is a truth poot. O can coach my DL any day. Don't let that maniac anywhere near the defensive coordinator job though. Hell, I'd be ok with hiring him just to recruit and not even coach.

Cooterpoot
11-23-2016, 10:21 PM
After Sirmon's wife picks him up in Oxford, we better hire a DC who's actually done it before. Screw hiring thesee young guys to boost their careers.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 10:33 PM
After Sirmon's wife picks him up in Oxford, we better hire a DC who's actually done it before. Screw hiring thesee young guys to boost their careers.

Agree. Mullen wasted his chance to hire a non experienced DC with Sirmon and he chose poorly. So now it's either give Sirmon one more year and hope he figures it out, or go hire someone with experience.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 10:37 PM
Ruh Roh

http://i.imgur.com/o8cZvCv.png

DancingRabbit
11-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Seminole fans will be all

https://media.tenor.co/images/a5f2d03f2730317dff02bdfa76a89556/raw

Side-track, it seems that Dak is the new Iron Eyes Cody. Drives Dak detractors crazy how much good press he gets.

https://media.giphy.com/media/NUft6nyFuP5fy/giphy.gif

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5504&d=1479958454

CadaverDawg
11-23-2016, 10:57 PM
Merlin to LSU

Todd4State
11-23-2016, 11:02 PM
Coach O hasn’t been a DC ever- but he has been a head coach multiple time and a successful aside from Ole Miss. To me, being a head coach would be at least equal to if not better than being a coordinator. I think it might be a good fit because Dan is going to be bend but don’t break anyway no matter what even If we hire Dick LeBeau. Plus Orgeron loves to recruit. The other reason I think it might be a good fit is we lack emotion BIG TIME on the defensive side of the ball. O would change that immediately if nothing else. Plus players love playing for Coach O.

msstate7
11-23-2016, 11:06 PM
Sirmon has struggled this year. Hire Ed O as co-DC/dline coach.

DogsofAnarchy
11-23-2016, 11:14 PM
Dan isn't making staff changes.

dawgday166
11-23-2016, 11:28 PM

Sorta like when we hired an experienced Head Coach who had done it before. Dan still doesn't know how to manage a clock eight years later (among other things). At least O would have them ready to run through a brick wall most games. May or may not be a good X's and O's guy, but he can motivate.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-23-2016, 11:28 PM
Dan isn't making staff changes.

I believe you'll see a few changes.

dawgday166
11-23-2016, 11:29 PM
Coach O hasn’t been a DC ever- but he has been a head coach multiple time and a successful aside from Ole Miss. To me, being a head coach would be at least equal to if not better than being a coordinator. I think it might be a good fit because Dan is going to be bend but don’t break anyway no matter what even If we hire Dick LeBeau. Plus Orgeron loves to recruit. The other reason I think it might be a good fit is we lack emotion BIG TIME on the defensive side of the ball. O would change that immediately if nothing else. Plus players love playing for Coach O.

Good points Todd.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 11:34 PM

Any guesses?

dawgday166
11-23-2016, 11:39 PM
Any guesses?

Probably won't be Hev, even tho we've gone a year and 2/3 with a crap Oline. Finally it's looking halfway decent some. But then that's been against A&M who has mailed it in and Arky who ain't great on Dline at all. So still hard to tell.

I'm sure it'll be on D side of ball if any changes are made.

ShotgunDawg
11-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Probably won't be Hev, even tho we've gone a year and 2/3 with a crap Oline. Finally it's looking halfway decent some. But then that's been against A&M who has mailed it in and Arky who ain't great on Dline at all. So still hard to tell.

One thing I always worry about with pro type coaches is if they understand how much emotion & energy play a part in college football.

In the NFL, the players are professionals that are playing for a paycheck. Additionally, in the NFL, you are dealing with a biased sample of players that need less motivation because, after all, how would they have ever made it to the NFL without be self motivators.

In college football, you have lesser mature players & other players that may be figuring out that they will never play in the NFL. Therefore, the emotion, energy, & motivation becomes that much bigger of a priority.

I have no idea how Sirmon or Baker motivates players, but it's something to consider. Additionally, I have no idea if Maurice Linquist knows how to coach or recruit.

I think T Buck is the surest one to stay.

dawgday166
11-23-2016, 11:51 PM
Good points Shotgun. I don't know either whether they are good motivators or not. I do believe there's a good chance something isn't right in the locker room. Not sure what tho. It's probably cause the D players hate Fitz ******

RezDog7
11-23-2016, 11:58 PM

Hevesy?

Tripp McNeely
11-24-2016, 12:11 AM

Thank you Dan! Best post I've seen on this board in 6 months!

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:20 AM
One thing I always worry about with pro type coaches is if they understand how much emotion & energy play a part in college football.

In the NFL, the players are professionals that are playing for a paycheck. Additionally, in the NFL, you are dealing with a biased sample of players that need less motivation because, after all, how would they have ever made it to the NFL without be self motivators.

In college football, you have lesser mature players & other players that may be figuring out that they will never play in the NFL. Therefore, the emotion, energy, & motivation becomes that much bigger of a priority.

I have no idea how Sirmon or Baker motivates players, but it's something to consider. Additionally, I have no idea if Maurice Linquist knows how to coach or recruit.

You also don't really recruit in the NFL. Basically it's the GM's job to "recruit" free agents and manage the draft at least on an ultimate level.

You are right that some guys are good NFL coaches- I think Croom falls in that category on a position coach level, some are good college coaches and can't relate to the pros like Lou Holtz and some can do both like Pete Carroll.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Good points Shotgun. I don't know either whether they are good motivators or not. I do believe there's a good chance something isn't right in the locker room. Not sure what tho. It's probably cause the D players hate Fitz ******

I think what it most likely boils down to is just an inexperienced defensive coordinator trying to be too complicated and maybe not knowing how to motivate the entire unit.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:27 AM
Good points Todd.

I think it would be a big win for us. O gets to be a DC finally which he wants to do. We get a confident coach that I think Dan would respect but would also play the way Dan wants, hates Ole Miss and probably LSU if he doesn't get the head coaching job, and a great recruiter.

He would definitely be on my short list with Tim DeRuyter, Jim Leavitt, and Appalachain State's DC as well as Ohio U's DC.

Last time we hired a former Ole Miss head coach who had been around at other SEC schools it worked out pretty good for us in the form of Joe Lee Dunn. Plus, if Dan ever decides to leave we could always promote Coach O to interim coach which is something we really couldn't do now if that situation arose.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:28 AM

I have to give Hevesy credit for the turnaround although the recruiting is still lacking.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2016, 12:37 AM
If we hire another DC with no experience, Dan deserves to be fired. Especially if it's Ed Orgeron.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 12:45 AM

I think you are right. And it doesn't really matter if we win the Egg Bowl or not. Ask Carl Torbush who had a better defense than what we are putting out there now.

dawgday166
11-24-2016, 02:06 AM
I have to give Hevesy credit for the turnaround although the recruiting is still lacking.

I'll give him a little credit. However this isn't like the 2014 line that had stayed together for 3 or so years. We lose 3 seniors including a center. If our Oline looks like crap next year ... no excuses IMO.

msstate7
11-24-2016, 02:34 AM
I'll give him a little credit. However this isn't like the 2014 line that had stayed together for 3 or so years. We lose 3 seniors including a center. If our Oline looks like crap next year ... no excuses IMO.

I think our oline will be better next season.

Rankin is coming on

Jenkins can play guard or tackle

Story, Calhoun, and Williams can play guard. Calhoun will probably be the center.

Not sure how far along eiland and Reese will be next season, but from what I hear, we like them.

Champion, Phillips, and hopefully Hayes from the juco ranks will provide depth. If one or more can take over a starting spot, even better

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 02:37 AM

Rankin is coming on

Story, Calhoun, and Williams can play guard. Calhoun will probably be the center.

Not sure how far along eiland and Reese will be next season, but from what I hear, we like them.

Champion, Phillips, and hopefully Hayes from the juco ranks will provide depth. If one or more can take over a starting spot, even better

Will Williams be able to come back from his neck injury next year? We need Champion and Hayes to come in and play and contribute immediately.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 02:38 AM

I give him credit too but he still should be fired in my opinion. How good would we be if he could actually recruit?

Bully13
11-24-2016, 06:15 AM

This is a good post

msbulldog
11-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Coach O at Mississippi is the root of the tree that sprouted Freeze, Saunders, et al. We don't need him anywhere near our program.

dawgday166
11-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Rankin is coming on

I hope you're right. I've been pretty optimistic going into each of the last 2 seasons ... so I guess I'll believe it when I see it. This year I thought that the line had played together a good bit (with the exception of Rankin) last year and worked out the kinks. Still took them 7 or 8 games to start looking reasonable.

Maybe I'll be in for a nice surprise next year.

Todd4State
11-24-2016, 09:34 AM
Coach O at Mississippi is the root of the tree that sprouted Freeze, Saunders, et al. We don't need him anywhere near our program.

And he would keep them at bay as far as turning us in. If the NCAA gave Coach O immunity they actually might get the death penalty.

msstate7
11-24-2016, 09:34 AM
I hope you're right. I've been pretty optimistic going into each of the last 2 seasons ... so I guess I'll believe it when I see it. This year I thought that the line had played together a good bit (with the exception of Rankin) last year and worked out the kinks. Still took them 7 or 8 games to start looking reasonable.

Maybe I'll be in for a nice surprise next year.

I think there's potential to be better than this year. Who knows if they live up to it?

I do think we could have our best oline class to date this year if we hold on to the ones we have, add Hayes, and add another HS guy

smootness
11-24-2016, 11:47 AM
Coach O hasn?t been a DC ever- but he has been a head coach multiple time and a successful aside from Ole Miss. To me, being a head coach would be at least equal to if not better than being a coordinator. I think it might be a good fit because Dan is going to be bend but don?t break anyway no matter what even If we hire Dick LeBeau. Plus Orgeron loves to recruit. The other reason I think it might be a good fit is we lack emotion BIG TIME on the defensive side of the ball. O would change that immediately if nothing else. Plus players love playing for Coach O.

Being a HC who doesn't run either side of the ball and being a coordinator are two entirely different things. And he's only been successful in an interim role. Once his job was more than just pumping up players for a few weeks, he failed miserably. I have no idea why people think Orgeron is a fit for anything except DL coach/recruiter/rah rah guy.

PMDawg
11-24-2016, 12:25 PM

The defense is Mullen's fault. It's his crappy philosophy they all have to follow. No DC will ever do well under Mullen and/or stay. There's a reason we are about to be on our 4,346,299th DC under Mullen. Hint: it's Dan. Why is this so hard to grasp?

Cooterpoot
11-24-2016, 12:31 PM
He's fired/run off 2 DC. He's had two that left for better/dream jobs. He needs to hire a real DC and let him go. I think he and Cohen will have a discussion about it if he stays.